Favorite South Brooklyn Line

Jamaica Line

The title says it all, the (D), (F), (N), or (Q)? Don't bore readers with a one sentence answer. Express why that line tops your list of your most favorite S. BK line.

As for me, I'd have to say the Culver. The line has a laid back feel to it. Not as many riders as the Brighton.

Love the ramp between Church and Ditmas. Sometimes I'd watch trains climb and descend that ramp from the nearby street.

Descent speeds can be reached between stations. 35 mph + entering Ave X in both directions.

During last summer and the summer of 2010, many times I'd find myself alone at Bay Parkway, standing at the front end of the s/b platform, just starring into the sunset - very relaxing to say the least.

I can't remember how many times I've found myself alone in the first car from Kings Hwy to Stillwell. Standing between cars between Ave X and Neptune Ave - listening to the sick rail gap sounds.

I also love when trains use the express tracks - they haul ass. I remember the smooth swaying back and fourth of the 46s between Ave N and Ave P on the exp tracks.

Most people find the Culver to be the most boring S. BK line. Not me... :cool:

For me, it's a BIG competition between the Brighton-(;)/(Q) & the Culver (F). Fugetabout the West End-(D) or Sea Beach-(N), I'm sorry but those lines put me to sleep, except when the (D) reaches 9 ave until 36 st.

I love the Brighton's (B) express, other than that, the (Q) is pretty boring, not as boring as West End or Sea Beach, but still boring.

The Culver (F) may not have actual express service, but I love the view of the elevated, both, south of church ave & culver viaduct, even underground I love the (F) route.

And yes I too love watching the (F) run by when I would be on 18 ave

I may love the brighton's express, but I have to say my pick is culver. When I went to school on ocean pkwy, I usually chose the (F) over the (B)/(Q).

For me the Sea Beach Line is my favorite because it passes between Stillwell Yard/Stillwell Layups and the Coney Island Shops. it provides a unique view to the yard. seeing the train wash, the inside of the shops its just amazing in my words. Plus the old right of way it uses has some interesting history I know people must disagree with the condition of the stations and tracks but i must say look's do not matter.......well for stations it does not matter anyway its a really interesting line and that's why i like it. especially knowing that the once famous (NX) Sea Beach-Brighton Express used to go through there once is just great. :P:)

My favorite south brooklyn line is the Culver (F) line because its history and view. First of all the Culver Viaduct is the only above ground section of the original IND subway system. Secondly the Smith 9th street station is the highest station in the system, and on top of that it has a great view of the Manhattan skyline (obviously). Lastly the Culver Line is just a relaxing ride, a fully local line that is elevated most of the time with no loud mouth people. That line is just perfect.

For me, it's a BIG competition between the Brighton-(:P/(Q) & the Culver (F). Fugetabout the West End-(D) or Sea Beach-(N), I'm sorry but those lines put me to sleep, except when the (D) reaches 9 ave until 36 st.

I love the Brighton's (:P express, other than that, the (Q) is pretty boring, not as boring as West End or Sea Beach, but still boring.

The Culver (F) may not have actual express service, but I love the view of the elevated, both, south of church ave & culver viaduct, even underground I love the (F) route.

And yes I too love watching the (F) run by when I would be on 18 ave

I may love the brighton's express, but I have to say my pick is culver. When I went to school on ocean pkwy, I usually chose the (F) over the (B)/(Q).

The Brighton comes second on my list because of its unique ROW. The section that really gets to me is the section between Ave H and Newkirk since at one point one of the residential streets lines up with the tracks. 'Till this day it still amazes me that the only thing separating the line from those residential homes is a short gate.

img_87082.jpg

The Brighton comes second on my list because of its unique ROW. The section that really gets to me is the section between Ave H and Newkirk since at one point one of the residential streets lines up with the tracks. 'Till this day it still amazes me that the only thing separating the line from those residential homes is a short gate.

img_87082.jpg

That is a stand-out feature of that line. The Brighton line is another great South Brooklyn Line.

That is a stand-out feature of that line. The Brighton line is another great South Brooklyn Line.

Without a doubt. I found this video some time ago taken from a unique perspective. To think my mother used to live just a few blocks east of this station. She later moved near the Beverly Rd station (close to the point that you could hear the trains pass by), later moving to E. Flatbush...WTF.

Well I would take the (D) cause you get to ride by Coney Island Yard and see what's inside!

That would be Stillwell yard, the (N) has Stillwell yard on the left (going north) and CIY on the right. The (F) has IMO the best view of the area since its up on structure.

For me it's a tie between the West End (D) and the Brighton (B)/(Q).

I think the (D) has some of the nicest views of South Brooklyn as an elevated line, plus the middle track gets used by the (N) when the MTA's working on the Sea Beach line during the week.

I like how the Brighton Line goes from a tunnel to a trench to a street-level line to an elevated line. Plus, the Brighton Line has four tracks still in use instead of three, allowing bi-directional express service. The (Q) to the (B) is one of the fastest ways to get from Coney Island to Manhattan.

Without a doubt. I found this video some time ago taken from a unique perspective. To think my mother used to live just a few blocks east of this station. She later moved near the Beverly Rd station (close to the point that you could hear the trains pass by), later moving to E. Flatbush...WTF.

Wow that's a good video. That is why the brighton line is unique!

One has to wonder what the best RFW of the south Brooklyn lines have to be, with the openness of Brighton and its express service whizzing past stations at 40+ and entering Newkirk near or at 50 (when leaves are not an issue). Of notice is also the West End and its best views of the Verazzano as its El towers over the neighborhood. The Culver has similar views, albeit from farther away, but it has that endless expanse of straight track (while the West End curves and bends its way to CI) giving lessons in percetion. Its basically a straight shot from Ave X all the way to the portal. The Sea Beach is ok, although the trench business remind one of Brighton minus express service, even though it is interesting above 8Av.

Just some thoughts, carry on.

img_87082.jpg

the reason for this is because, the MTA know people in this neighborhood arent going to be dumb enough to try to jump over the gate to get a free ride. that gate is only there to prevent people from falling onto the tracks

Unfortunately, in places like the south bronx they would need more than a little gate.

On Empire blvd & Flatbush ave, you can see the franklin ave (S) about 15 feet below. & there is a gate that bends backwards with barb wire on top of it. shows how crazy people can get to avoid a lowzy $2.25.

the reason for this is because, the MTA know people in this neighborhood arent going to be dumb enough to try to jump over the gate to get a free ride. that gate is only there to prevent people from falling onto the tracks

Unfortunately, in places like the south bronx they would need more than a little gate.

On Empire blvd & Flatbush ave, you can see the franklin ave (S) about 15 feet below. & there is a gate that bends backwards with barb wire on top of it. shows how crazy people can get to avoid a lowzy $2.25.

Yes I do know that. It's just the fact that one can see the subway cars fly by at grade level and yet so close to homes. Just seems as if a tall fence should be there (not that I want a tall fence there). It also surprises me that one has never rail fanned there. I've walked through that neighborhood a decent amount of times, and seeing those trains race by is a great sight. Guess some just have no perspective.

Archived