Is getting a flu shot a waste of time?

Shortline Bus

Guys. Just recovering from a bad cold/possible flu. Working as a Teaching Asst. we are always urged to get a flu shot. Well about 2 weeks ago, I had a flu shot. Then on Saturday i got sick and been at home mostly in bed sleeping until now. Only tommorrow i will return to work and tonight return to classes in grad school.

So my question guys is a flu shot a waste of time? If you don't get a flu shot what steps you take to prevent from a getting a cold or flu?

I would say so, yes....

Then again, I exhibit a serious bias when it comes to injections, pills/tablets, and stuff like that.....

I never understood why I need to have a flu shot, if I don't have the flu.... Emphasis on NEED.

Yes, I know it (supposedly) makes your chances of catching the flu, less... but w/ the way flu shots have been pushed upon us in the past handful of years, you'd have thought there was an pandemic of the s*** goin on or somethin...... I could care less if they're free or not....

Well I think they're a waste of time. One of my clients that I was in talks with a few years ago (a hospital out in Queens) at the height of when the flu shot was said to be "necessary" said off of the record that many of the doctors and nurses were strongly opposed to getting the flu shot, as all of the facts weren't out about it, etc. I personally believe in eating well and taking care of yourself. I haven't been sick in years aside from the occasional sore throat, which I combat with some natural tea, natural honey and lemon and rest. If I have ever been really sick I just rest and take some natural herbs and such. I strongly oppose medicine unless it is necessary. The body needs to be able to cure itself on its own and pumping yourself with so called "medicines" doesn't allow the body to fight the cold itself. I work with a ton of hospitals and see the side effects that many of these so called medicines have while working on translation projects.

I don't smoke or do anything (aside from the few hits of the "good stuff" with friends ;)) (but that's very rare) and I have wine a few times a week and beer once every so many months at a bar when I go drinking with the guys. Hard liquor... Same thing... Only when I go drinking with the guys and that's usually straight shots of Jäger, tequila, vodka or scotch. :cool:

Well I think they're a waste of time. One of my clients that I was in talks with a few years ago (a hospital out in Queens) at the height of when the flu shot was said to be "necessary" said off of the record that many of the doctors and nurses were strongly opposed to getting the flu shot, as all of the facts weren't out about it, etc. I personally believe in eating well and taking care of yourself. I haven't been sick in years aside from the occasional sore throat, which I combat with some natural tea, natural honey and lemon and rest. If I have ever been really sick I just rest and take some natural herbs and such. I strongly oppose medicine unless it is necessary. The body needs to be able to cure itself on its own and pumping yourself with so called "medicines" doesn't allow the body to fight the cold itself. I work with a ton of hospitals and see the side effects that many of these so called medicines have while working on translation projects.

I don't smoke or do anything (aside from the few hits of the "good stuff" with friends ;)) (but that's very rare) and I have wine a few times a week and beer once every so many months at a bar when I go drinking with the guys. Hard liquor... Same thing... Only when I go drinking with the guys and that's usually straight shots of Jäger, tequila, vodka or scotch. :cool:

VG8. You correct. Eating a good balanced diet i.e veggies, fruits, etc. and keeping yourself in shape i.e walking/jogging, etc. is also part of the master plan in staying healthy. Working in the eduication field for last 4-5 years, every staff member from faculty/teachers like myself to even food(cafeteria)workers are *urged* to get flu shots but not required. With that said, this is the 2nd straight year right after I get the vaccine i get a bad cold i am home in bed for a few days. For years going back to my high school days I would get a flu shot and would never get sick. It also should be noted my retired mom was still working as a nurse for those early few years. That why I am not happy.:mad:

I am starting to think (B35) is right. I still try to eat healthy/keep myself in shape but i am having doubts unless required if the flu shots are really needed.:(

I never understood the opposition to the HPV Vacciene, heres something that will prevent you from getting a common STD and if youre a girl prevent you from developing Cervical Cancer later on in life but people refuse to get it.

That's easy to understand...bible thumpers who can't face the facts that their kids are or may soon become sexually active.

as for the flu vaccine, it's useful...i get it every year. usually makes me sick for a little while but i avoid the worst of the flu, or if i do get it it's tempered...i'll get a fever but i'll never have the stomach problems etc.

I don't smoke or do anything (aside from the few hits of the "good stuff" with friends :P) (but that's very rare) and I have wine a few times a week and beer once every so many months at a bar when I go drinking with the guys. Hard liquor... Same thing... Only when I go drinking with the guys and that's usually straight shots of Jäger, tequila, vodka or scotch. :cool:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a doctor for a while, and haven't gotten sick for many years. I don't recommend skipping annual checkups, but prevention by healthy habits is the best medicine. Get your vaccines only if you're vulnerable. And then only take drugs if it's your only option.

Other than annual checkups, I haven't had the need to visit the doctor's office either. I've never taken any of the shots and though I might have a few 'sneeze attacks', I've never been 'sick to the stomach' or gotten ill with the flu [knock on wood]. So far as maybe 6 years now, no shots for the bird flu or regular flu. I prefer to let my own immune system fight it out.

That's easy to understand...bible thumpers who can't face the facts that their kids are or may soon become sexually active.

as for the flu vaccine, it's useful...i get it every year. usually makes me sick for a little while but i avoid the worst of the flu, or if i do get it it's tempered...i'll get a fever but i'll never have the stomach problems etc.

but even then, what if god forbid their supposed chaste children was raped, and what if the rapist had the HPV virus. Even on their religious terms that blows their argument out of the water.

I don't smoke or do anything (aside from the few hits of the "good stuff" with friends :P) (but that's very rare) and I have wine a few times a week and beer once every so many months at a bar when I go drinking with the guys. Hard liquor... Same thing... Only when I go drinking with the guys and that's usually straight shots of Jäger, tequila, vodka or scotch. :cool:

That's right. Rasta mentality. Big up! :cool: This having to take your flu shot situation is very Americanized.

I am sure the phramcy/meds companies are chopping at the bit as every year from September-March they get tens of billions of dollars in profits from people who get the flu/colds. Little off topic but here a great old commerical first shown in the 1950's that was played until the '70's. Right now i feel like that tree lol.

The flu is very unpredictable. One year it might be close to nonexistant, the next it is par with the 1919 outbreak.

Yeah, it's interesting isn't it? I think it's all bogus crappola to get folks to take those shots.

That's right. Rasta mentality. Big up! :cool: This having to take your flu shot situation is very Americanized.

LMAO... Very true. Once had an irritated stomach when I was living in Florence [italy]. I called my mom up back in the states and asked her what sort of herbs I could buy and then she told me. I found a herb place about 20 minutes from my apartment (down the street from my university) at the time. Bought the stuff then called her and she told me what to do and the problem went away a few days later. :cool:

Yeah, it's interesting isn't it? I think it's all bogus crappola to get folks to take those shots.

LMAO... Very true. Once had an irritated stomach when I was living in Florence [italy]. I called my mom up back in the states and asked her what sort of herbs I could buy and then she told me. I found a herb place about 20 minutes from my apartment (down the street from my university) at the time. Bought the stuff then called her and she told me what to do and the problem went away a few days later. :cool:

Now how long does an upset stomach usually last?

Depends on what the problem is and how severe it is. I once at some bad sushi and my stomach was in terrible shape for a good week. I also got a stomach virus once that lasted a good 3-4 days almost.

The one time i got food poisoning, I was shitting every half hour for 3 days then it stopped and was all over. I think all the herbal stuff is a bunch of crap, but meds are over used. That said, there is nothing like some good old mean green NyQuil to knock you out.

The one time i got food poisoning, I was shitting every half hour for 3 days then it stopped and was all over. I think all the herbal stuff is a bunch of crap, but meds are over used. That said, there is nothing like some good old mean green NyQuil to knock you out.

Well it's not like I O.D. on herbs either. The last time I used any sorts of herbs was over 7 years ago.

but even then, what if god forbid their supposed chaste children was raped, and what if the rapist had the HPV virus. Even on their religious terms that blows their argument out of the water.

Then those inbred idiots would probably force their kids to have the rape baby and decline radiation/chemotherapy treatments because they are "unnatural", leading a judge to take custody of the kids from them, and forcing several frivolous lawsuits at taxpayer expense by the parents to retain custody.

Isn't cynicism great when it's true?

Archived