Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Well for me this job is worth the wait because as a train operator you don't have to deal with the public. I am a former bus operator so from my perspective train operator is one of the best jobs out there. All you have to worry about is operating your train safely. Everything else is the conductors responsibility.

It's not public free. People still will come up to you to ask questions.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a number or email for Ms. Vargas. I did my drug test back in January and just received a letter saying I was considered but not selected in accordance to Rule 4.7.1 (C) of the rules and regulation of the nyc personnel director

Does anyone have a number or email for Ms. Vargas. I did my drug test back in January and just received a letter saying I was considered but not selected in accordance to Rule 4.7.1 (C) of the rules and regulation of the nyc personnel director

Rule 4.7.1 is the 1 in 3 rule, which is weird because they only usually apply it on promotional exams, only for employees with less then stellar records. Or if you were employed by Transit in the past, and had a bad record during your employment, which led to either your termination, or resignation.

Here's a few threads in regards to it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1358075-1-3-rule-rejection-letter-mta.html

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43217-1-in-3-rule/

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/30875-8006-is-out-of-control-with-the-1-3-rule/

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/30498-rule-471/

Edited by SteveNYC

Just be patient bx316. This job is definitely worth the wait. I'm currently going through schoolcar so if you have any questions when you start feel free to ask.

@LOQV, Hope everything's going well. I'm currently on medical hold for a Train Operator, and hoping I'm accepted into the next class. If you don't mind, what's it like so far? Thanks!

Edited by qbenguy

Thanks stevenyc. I currently am a bus operator at mta.. had 3 accidents in the last year so assuming thats what its about..silly but I guess. I guess they don't look at my stellar attendance never absent never late.. i will just be thank for my job that I do have and just say whats meant to be will be. I'm also on the promotional exam for train op so lets see.

Thanks stevenyc. I currently am a bus operator at mta.. had 3 accidents in the last year so assuming thats what its about..silly but I guess. I guess they don't look at my stellar attendance never absent never late.. i will just be thank for my job that I do have and just say whats meant to be will be. I'm also on the promotional exam for train op so lets see.

You're welcome, and exactly if you still have your job be thankful for that.

So far my schoolcar experience has been pretty good. I passed my practical exam on Friday and my signals exam is Wednesday. The time is going by fast.

Congrats! Good luck on Wednesday, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks feel free to ask me any questions.

hi, can you give some detail on car school? so its first book material at the school, and then they send you to different locations for practice? 

Thanks feel free to ask me any questions.

You're welcome. Okay - thanks. Once you were medically cleared, how soon after were you told you were accepted into school car? What were their expectations? Did you have time to announce your resignation to your former employer?

Thanks again. Truly appreciate it.

hi, can you give some detail on car school? so its first book material at the school, and then they send you to different locations for practice? 

You're welcome. Okay - thanks. Once you were medically cleared, how soon after were you told you were accepted into school car? What were their expectations? Did you have time to announce your resignation to your former employer?

You two are asking questions that have been answered in this thread, and the other school car thread. These two threads will help you understand and get through school car immensely. If I were you I would read every post, now and while your in school car.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38133-the-schoolcar-experience/page-1

Edited by ErikNYC

When it comes to schoolcar you will be going to different train yards every day and you will be spending a lot of time in the classroom learning all of the signals. I just passed my signals exam today, so the more time that you spend in the classroom going over the signals the better.

I passed my medical on April 6 and I was placed in the April 11th class. I had my name reinstated on the list because when my name was reached on the list in 2013 I had just started my 10 day training as a bus operator. Since I was a bus operator for the MTA prior to accepting the train operator title, this was treated as a promotion for me. I didn't have to resign from being a bus operator.

When it comes to schoolcar you will be going to different train yards every day and you will be spending a lot of time in the classroom learning all of the signals. I just passed my signals exam today, so the more time that you spend in the classroom going over the signals the better.

I passed my medical on April 6 and I was placed in the April 11th class. I had my name reinstated on the list because when my name was reached on the list in 2013 I had just started my 10 day training as a bus operator. Since I was a bus operator for the MTA prior to accepting the train operator title, this was treated as a promotion for me. I didn't have to resign from being a bus operator.

Congratulations on passing the signals exam! One step closer.

Thanks for all that you shared. I appreciate it, and it will definitely help. I was medically cleared today, and now looking forward to the email with the start date for school car. I'm looking forward to it, and expecting it to be challenging.

Already asked this but just gonna ask again. I turned down my April 11th start date for school car after I passed the drug test because timing was horrible. I emailed 5 or 6 weeks ago and asked to be reinstated. Does anyone have info on how long it takes (about) to be called for the next class? I know it varies, but I am dying at my current job and either need to get a new one... or hope the mta calls me soon. Sucks waiting. Thanks guys.

Already asked this but just gonna ask again. I turned down my April 11th start date for school car after I passed the drug test because timing was horrible. I emailed 5 or 6 weeks ago and asked to be reinstated. Does anyone have info on how long it takes (about) to be called for the next class? I know it varies, but I am dying at my current job and either need to get a new one... or hope the mta calls me soon. Sucks waiting. Thanks guys.

It varies. It depends on when the next class is, how many slots there are, and how many people are still ahead of you that have to be considered since there is often a lag with hiring if people take a long time to get their paperwork done and get medically cleared.

There isn't any one answer to this question, and anyone who tells you otherwise (unless it's someone that works in MTA HR at Livingston St) is BSing you.

Edited by SubwayGuy