Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mrcka, congrats!!!! I start YX tomorrow. How was the road practical? Everyone pass in your group?

All 10 of us still together practical was easy your just doing station stops with him there he has individual papers with everyone's name & he's grading you on everything about your operation

Congrats to you MrCka and LOQV on being sworn in for April class. I myself clear probation in May and it's great to see guys and females alike move along the same path I've taken myself and I'm still taken. Good luck to those still waiting for a chance to be sworn in before this list terminates in September 2016.

Thank you very much guys for sharing your experience. There is another train operator exam for june 3rd 2016, Exam 6615. I would love to apply for it. Now I am also in the process of getting my GED. I have to take the test for GED. Anyway, in case I don't get my GED before june 3rd train operator test, can I still take the train operator test before I get my GED ? Or as long as I have my GED by the time I get hopefully hired ? I know the mta doesn't tolerate non-sense when it comes to applications and paper work. I don't want to go to training and then all of a sudden I get called in for. Or should I just get my GED and then wait for the next exam ?

ALSO, can someone describe the differences between train operator, motorman, and conductor ? I read alot on this forum about motorman and school car, and the experience behind them. But not much about the train operator training and what kind of training they go through.

And I know you are wondering why the hell do I not have a high school diploma, or a ged. Long story I had to help my family early. And I felt a comfort zone working were I am. And thats always been the problem with me, when I feel comfortable somewhere I stay there. And I never thought that one day, not having a GED would haunt me. But now it is.  

Okay I found out more info about school car. From reading all day pretty muchbthe threads lol.Very interesting. Sounds intense. obviously it's impossible to learn until you're actually doing it. You guys are amazing thank you.

Thank you very much guys for sharing your experience. There is another train operator exam for june 3rd 2016, Exam 6615. I would love to apply for it. Now I am also in the process of getting my GED. I have to take the test for GED. Anyway, in case I don't get my GED before june 3rd train operator test, can I still take the train operator test before I get my GED ? Or as long as I have my GED by the time I get hopefully hired ? I know the mta doesn't tolerate non-sense when it comes to applications and paper work. I don't want to go to training and then all of a sudden I get called in for. Or should I just get my GED and then wait for the next exam ?

ALSO, can someone describe the differences between train operator, motorman, and conductor ? I read alot on this forum about motorman and school car, and the experience behind them. But not much about the train operator training and what kind of training they go through.

And I know you are wondering why the hell do I not have a high school diploma, or a ged. Long story I had to help my family early. And I felt a comfort zone working were I am. And thats always been the problem with me, when I feel comfortable somewhere I stay there. And I never thought that one day, not having a GED would haunt me. But now it is.  

Read the Notice of Examination for the exam when the filing period begins. It will specify all of the requirements, as well as the dates those milestones need to be completed by, in order for you to be eligible for the position. The Notice of Examination will be able to viewed at that time without actually filing for the exam firsthand. Requirements sometimes change from test to test, so the best way to find out is to wait for the NOE to come out. NOE's for previous tests do not guarantee the next one will be exactly the same.

Read the Notice of Examination for the exam when the filing period begins. It will specify all of the requirements, as well as the dates those milestones need to be completed by, in order for you to be eligible for the position. The Notice of Examination will be able to viewed at that time without actually filing for the exam firsthand. Requirements sometimes change from test to test, so the best way to find out is to wait for the NOE to come out. NOE's for previous tests do not guarantee the next one will be exactly the same.

Thanks subwayguy. I appreciate it. Also I noticed that there are a few more tests for the train operators than bus operators. The school car experience thread is massive and is the best reference. It looks as if people don't wait very long after they apply and take the train operators exam. Pretty cool. I'll apply and wait. 

Thanks man.

Today they postponed the upcoming train application june 3rd. Wonder why... :(

When you apply for a position do you have to apply during that duration? Cause the there are a bunch of exam dates for conductor.

Today they postponed the upcoming train application june 3rd. Wonder why... :(

When you apply for a position do you have to apply during that duration? Cause the there are a bunch of exam dates for conductor.

They been delaying that exam for a year now , according to the last exam list expires september 2016 so who knows 

I got yah. I didn't know that.

Theres a way to approximate people retiring from the mta. But I can't find the statistical age of mta employees. There was a mta pdf file from 2008 that showed how many employees are going to retire in 2012/ 2013 which explained that hiring blitz. But not nowadays. I bet you they will release it in September.

I do wonder if they're going to revert to the old way of doing things - just hiring train operators off of promotional lists.

They're probably pondering this now and haven't made a final decision - hence the exam is postponed, not yet cancelled.

Otherwise, if this were a straightforward decision, they could have offered the open/competitive train operator exam already and made a lot of money through the filing fees.

I have my own take on this, as one of many who failed the training program.

I think it's difficult to get up to speed with the culture of Transit and the intricacies of tracks/trains/signals in a few months.

It's not impossible to do so, and many succeed.

But I think there are many advantages to hiring train operators off a promotional list - the key things being greater familiarity with yards/signals/trains/Transit culture and far less stress, since if you fail the training program you go back to your old job as a conductor/bus driver/station agent, etc.

They will always like to hire more promotional than open competitive. Gives an opportunity for employees in house to move up. But many conductors dont want to loose their seniority so dont take the promotional to T/O. Also you take a lot more responsibility as a T/O. I cant see them not continuing the open competitive exams. I believe it keeps being delayed because rumer is they may extend the current list. Just a word of advice if you can take a leave of absence from your job if you accept appointment to schoolcar do it. No guarantees down here. Its "probation" till day you retire basically. Look at it that way and youll be fine. No holidays no weekends for many years till you actually get to pick. But if you want it that bad take it and run away with it!

They will always like to hire more promotional than open competitive. Gives an opportunity for employees in house to move up. But many conductors dont want to loose their seniority so dont take the promotional to T/O. Also you take a lot more responsibility as a T/O. I cant see them not continuing the open competitive exams. I believe it keeps being delayed because rumer is they may extend the current list. Just a word of advice if you can take a leave of absence from your job if you accept appointment to schoolcar do it. No guarantees down here. Its "probation" till day you retire basically. Look at it that way and youll be fine. No holidays no weekends for many years till you actually get to pick. But if you want it that bad take it and run away with it!

That's good advice man. Thanks. I looking at conductor or train operator. I make as much as a conductor right now. But theres no benefits no promotions. Actually there are people in company who were promoted but no raise lol. I work for a private limousine service. I dispatch. But there's so much competition that we are getting slower and slower.

I would like to try out for conductor and then move along to train operator. And just move down to conductor if train operator doesn't work.

But right now just trying to apply to a position is ridiculously hard. I should have followed my instincts years ago. But its okay. I'm patient. I'm applying for many civil service jobs.

Question for anyone who might have knowledge, I failed my final yard practical and the retest with a superintendent. Now I have to hand in all of my uniforms and tools. I am beyond crushed, is there any chance that I could be put back on the list for t/o 8098 or do basically have to take the next t/o exam in june. I can't believe I screwed this up after waiting for so long. Any help would be appreciated.

This is why I didn't leave my old job,the way they do things there is so wrong. .the superintendants are a**holes as well..you will now have to wait for the next exam ..Gluck man it sucks ..especially when they give you the dam uniform and all your family are proud of you now to take back everything to downtown Brooklyn back and having all your family and friends asking all sort of questions smh

@trainop, what class were you in if you dont mind me asking. Take the next T/O exam at least ull have a headsup. It does suck i feel horrible for you. Just goes to show what i meant on my earlier post. Its just a hard program to get by! Best of luck man. It's unfortunate that they make it this way.