Why Don't All Subways Have This?

Donald

Dumb Question Alert:

Why don't subway cars have those accordion things bwetween the cars so that you can walk from one car to another without falling? Nearly all rail road cars are equipped with these, but subways are not. I am referring to the thing surrounding the doors on the end of the cars:

rhinecliff42.jpg

They did, but they remove the ideas in later cars, because when you split the subway cars to move them you would have to destroy those "Moving Between Cars" parts too, and the (MTA) was upset about the cost of buying new ones. Besides why do you want to move between cars anyway?

"Besides why do you want to move between cars anyway?"

To escape homeless peopel who stink really bad.

So when the train stops and the doors open, you leave the train car you're on by using the platform it's serving and then board the other train car via the platform you're walking through.

"Besides why do you want to move between cars anyway?"

To escape homeless peopel who stink really bad.

LOL!! I've been in that situation on the (6) train and let me tell you... It was no pretty scene. :eek: Me and some other folks got stuck in a car at Grand Central with a bum at each end of the car and we had to wait until we got to 33rd street and run to the next car. I had to hold my breath to try to avoid the pungent stench.

that happened to me on the (D), I just did the best I could then I got out and went to the next car, funny thing was, these two guys were going from that car to the one with the horrible smelling hobo, then at the next stop tehy were back in our car and were like 'why didnt you warn us'

They did, but they remove the ideas in later cars, because when you split the subway cars to move them you would have to destroy those "Moving Between Cars" parts too, and the (MTA) was upset about the cost of buying new ones. Besides why do you want to move between cars anyway?

This wouldn't be an issue, as the married pair age (except R32/R42) is gone.

I think it is because of the curves; subways have smaller curves angle wise, which lead to bigger gaps between the cars, which ultimately is the cause of the closed doors between the cars. The "rubber padding" found on RR trains won't sufficiently eliminate the gaps, that is why they are not used.

that happened to me on the (D), I just did the best I could then I got out and went to the next car, funny thing was, these two guys were going from that car to the one with the horrible smelling hobo, then at the next stop tehy were back in our car and were like 'why didnt you warn us'

lol... It's happened a few times on the (6). Another time I got on at 28th to go to Union Square and got on a car and we all hauled @ss to the next car. We should've know better since the car was practically empty but since it was midday, we didn't think too much of it. :eek:

What are you talking about? No NYC subway cars ever had diaphragms. You might be thinking of BMT D-types, Multies, Bluebirds, and the experimentals, but they were sectionalized units.

Again, WTF are you talking about? When a married pair gets split or even a 4 or 5 cars set, nothing gets destroyed.

Do note the difference in usage between long-distance railroad cars and short-distance subway cars.

Subways are intended for generally short-term rides for passengers with frequent stops along the ride. Passengers, if they need to move to another car, can do so at the stations, which are rarely more than a few minutes apart. Curves tend to be tight and short making a significant gap between cars. This adds to the uselessness of moving between cars while the train in motion.

Intercity rail travel, on the contrary, is intended for long-term rides with few stops. So when a passenger needs to move between cars, they can do so because of connected cars. This is common on Amtrak trains, for example, so people can get to the bathrooms or snack car easily. Also, curves tend to be more gradual on Intercity ROWs, which leads to smaller gaps (if any) between cars.

Do note the difference in usage between long-distance railroad cars and short-distance subway cars.

Subways are intended for generally short-term rides for passengers with frequent stops along the ride. Passengers, if they need to move to another car, can do so at the stations, which are rarely more than a few minutes apart. Curves tend to be tight and short making a significant gap between cars. This adds to the uselessness of moving between cars while the train in motion.

Intercity rail travel, on the contrary, is intended for long-term rides with few stops. So when a passenger needs to move between cars, they can do so because of connected cars. This is common on Amtrak trains, for example, so people can get to the bathrooms or snack car easily. Also, curves tend to be more gradual on Intercity ROWs, which leads to smaller gaps (if any) between cars.

Exactly, those ROW the curves are designed to be taken at highway speeds, unlike the curves in subways.

Again, WTF are you talking about? When a married pair gets split or even a 4 or 5 cars set, nothing gets destroyed.

I was going to say the same thing--BART cars have those rubber things which are called "eyebrows", and when pairs of cars or single cars are split, these aren't destroyed, but rather folded down and tucked away inside compartments.

And what TwoTimer said about the speeds of those railroad cars vs subway cars (BART for the sake of argument will fall into the RR category), makes sense. There are a few sections where BART does travel around sharp curves at "subway" speeds, but I don't think the car connectors could handle doing that as much as the subway.

Just my two cents.

-A :cool:

YOu do realize that a C/R has to actually deal with the homeless if they are still on the train at a terminal, bothering passengers, etc? Passengers can move to another car, but the C/R is ultimately responsible for taking care of whatever problems the homeless are causing on the train.

So when the train stops and the doors open, you leave the train car you're on by using the platform it's serving and then board the other train car via the platform you're walking through.

Sometimes you want to look for a seat. And it would take 10 stops to move through an entire train.

Archived