Is Chinatown a Ghetto?

Nexis4Jersey

Nah, I'd say our chinatown is growing (in terms of territory/coverage).... and I wouldn't say that ghetto's are more about crime, but I do think crime is one of the determining factors... I would say it's more about the (high number of ppl that are) poor of those that live w/i it, along w/ how decrepit an area is.....

(of course, you go on a site like city data, and ppl. there'll have you think any neighborhood that's predominantly black &/or hispanic is a f***in ghetto)

Actually, out of all the forums I visit, only the LI forum really has a significant number of those type of people. In the Westchester one, people actually advocate for living in a diverse town, in the Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Miami forum, you don't really see a lot of those types of threads (or if they are, it'll be strictly about race in a demographic sense, such as projections for a certain area).

In the NYC forum, there are actually some people with the opposite mindset: They'll try to convince you that any area is safe as long as it's not Brownsville (of course you have plenty of people who admit that while those types of areas are improving, there is still a lot of crime there)

But technically, any minority-filled area is a ghetto, at least in the original sense of the word (of course, in 21st century parlance, the term "ghetto" has a different meaning)

Chinatown is quite safe. I've been there at many different times of day. In general, people there don't like to cause trouble. There aren't many pedophiles residing there either (according to a map I consulted).

The people selling knock-offs are a nuisance though. Recently, I've seen less Chinese people doing that and more black people.

And there are also middle easterners. So, it really isn't just the chinese people. They are just based in the Chinatown area - especially along Canal ['tourist traps'].

My main gripe is more about the damn tourists clogging up the streets than all the garbage dumped on the streets. You can hardly get around them as they are taking pictures of every restaurant or building. To top it off no one in that area [locals and tourists alike] seems to follow the damn traffic signs. THey pass on either walk and don't walk signs. It's infuriating to drivers to have to stop suddenly to avoid hitting people.

Chinatown is quite safe. I've been there at many different times of day. In general, people there don't like to cause trouble. There aren't many pedophiles residing there either (according to a map I consulted).

The people selling knock-offs are a nuisance though. Recently, I've seen less Chinese people doing that and more black people.

Yeah, it's usually the black Africans that I see selling the fake stuff. I see them sometimes on Madison when I go to Barney's or whatever. It's amazing that there are no crackdowns on them. I mean it's very obvious what they are doing. In Italy, there would be raids by the carabinieri. I remember once in Florence it started raining and I had my Italian umbrella with me and then out of nowhere I see these Africans (Moroccans and black Africans from elsewhere in Africa) looking to sell their cheap crappy umbrellas. The carabinieri sprung into action and did a raid right in front of me over by Via delle Belle Donne. The guy was pleading in his broken Italian for them not to take everything but they did and they seemed to enjoy doing so. They need to do that here because it's really ridiculous how these folks go around stealing other people's work.

Knockoffs hurt the authentic stuff in so many ways. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

Yeah, it's usually the black Africans that I see selling the fake stuff. I see them sometimes on Madison when I go Barney's or whatever. It's amazing that there are no crackdowns on them. I mean it's very obvious what they are doing. In Italy, there would be raids by the carabinieri. I remember once in Florence it started raining and I had my Italian umbrella with me and then out of nowhere I see these Africans (Moroccans and black Africans from elsewhere in Africa) looking to sell their cheap crappy umbrellas. The carabinieri sprung into action and did a raid right in front of me over by Via delle Belle Donne. The guy was pleading in his broken Italian for them not to take everything but they did and they seemed to enjoy doing so. They need to do that here because it's really ridiculous how these folks go around stealing other people's work.

Knockoffs hurt the authentic stuff in so many ways. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

Actually, the people who buy them know they are knockoffs; it's even the reason that they buy from them in the first place. I'm just unhappy that they clog up the streets by standing around looking for customers. If they want to do business, they should get out of my way since I actually need to go somewhere.

Would I be glad to see cops raid their group? Absolutely.

yeah, the africans done took over the bootleg market... they're slowly takin over the (selling of) tourist memorabilia/items also....

Whatever became of that (proposed) bill, regarding getting heavily fined &/jailed if caught buying fake BS anyway ?

My main gripe is more about the damn tourists clogging up the streets than all the garbage dumped on the streets.

it's two-fold for me; don't dislike either one moreso than the other....

to be honest with you, I have more of a gripe w/ the slow walking asian folk down in chinatown, than I do the tourists.... the older ones I tend to give a pass.... but slow walkin people in general always been a peeve of mine.... however, anyone that window shops & stands stationary in the middle of the sidewalk.... those are the people I wanna shove in the middle of traffic....

btw, don't be fooled.... ppl. buying the bootleg crap in chinatown aren't majority tourists... they're actually natives.

like CenSin alluded to, they buy the stuff b/c they don't wanna pay the premium (I still hate that word btw) price for the real merchandise....

to be honest with you, I have more of a gripe w/ the slow walking asian folk down in chinatown, than I do the tourists.... the older ones I tend to give a pass.... but slow walkin people in general always been a peeve of mine.... however, the tourists that window shop & stand stationary in the middle of the sidewalk.... those are the people I wanna shove in the middle of traffic....

Ain't that the truth....especially by Canal Street on the side with all the fish markets & when the San Gennaro Feast is up and around....it becomes a hot mess all around...however, SoHo is particularly worse in that category...

it's two-fold for me; don't dislike either one moreso than the other....

to be honest with you, I have more of a gripe w/ the slow walking asian folk down in chinatown, than I do the tourists.... the older ones I tend to give a pass.... but slow walkin people in general always been a peeve of mine.... however, anyone that window shops & stands stationary in the middle of the sidewalk.... those are the people I wanna shove in the middle of traffic....

btw, don't be fooled.... ppl. buying the bootleg crap in chinatown aren't majority tourists... they're actually natives.

like CenSin alluded to, they buy the stuff b/c they don't wanna pay the premium (I still hate that word btw) price for the real merchandise....

That's true. I don't tollerate slow people either and would walk around them. But if I'm driving [not often, but I do sympathise with anyone that drives thru Canal], I absolutely hate the people that crosses on don't walk signs or green for me. They piss me off the most - those people are just asking to get runned over.

As for those streets north of Canal - just terrible, sidewalks are indeed overcrowded with people doing window shopping and there's hardly any space to walk aside from walking on the street itself. I wouldn't be surprised Emperor Bloomberg and that anti-car czar Kahn turned some of those streets into pedestrian walkways.

True. Good point.

Do what I do and swerve around the slowpokes whenever you find yourself being held up, I do a major amount of cutting up on my way to Main Street every day on the way to the bus!

I am notorious for walking in the street to evade crowds.... that's a habit I picked up in high school....

That's true. I don't tollerate slow people either and would walk around them. But if I'm driving [not often, but I do sympathise with anyone that drives thru Canal], I absolutely hate the people that crosses on don't walk signs or green for me. They piss me off the most - those people are just asking to get runned over.

As for those streets north of Canal - just terrible, sidewalks are indeed overcrowded with people doing window shopping and there's hardly any space to walk aside from walking on the street itself. I wouldn't be surprised Emperor Bloomberg and that anti-car czar Kahn turned some of those streets into pedestrian walkways.

True. Good point.

You don't wanna know my stance on people that cross in front of me on an wipe open road (meaning, between traffic lights).... I have no sympathy or regard for risk takers.... I have acquaintances that tell me I don't deserve to have a license... I have friends that stay askin me to take them places (two of which, have cars of their own, mind you)... One of my homegirls likes my mini-rants whenever I get stuck in traffic....

So yeh, I'm not really all that patient....

lol @ emperor Bloomberg....

I agree, these ped malls, bike lanes, and yes, even bus lanes are thinning/limiting the amt. of space motorists have to work with/maneuver on.... the bus lanes I can understand (I stay out of them myself)... bike lanes I still believe should only be in parks (central park, prospect park, etc)... and I always felt ped. malls are 100% unnecessary here - especially when we lack a sufficient amt. of highways for as many drivers as there are on our roads....

intentionally decreasing the amount of free-flowing lanes w/i a given road != (enough) people giving up their cars to take public transportation.... that seems to be the formula that bloomie has resorted to, and it aint working for us NYC folk.... esp. when you have NJ, and even CT motorists using our roads as well.... I'll even go as far as to say, the major difference b/w us & NJ in this regard, is that they have the highways... We don't.

Anyway.... as far as canal st, man, I would rather drive around in midtown....

can you imagine if they were to ever have a canal st. crosstown.... it would win the "pokey" award every single year.

I am notorious for walking in the street to evade crowds.... that's a habit I picked up in high school....

Funny... I do the same thing. I have to say that women are by far the WORST. They never know where in the hell they're going and they'll stop right in front of you and just stand there. They are so self absorbed that it really sickens me. One chick was crossing 5th & 45th once and she starts rushing out of nowhere, bangs into this guy and knocks his phone right out of his hand and the phone fell in the middle of 5th Avenue and fell into pieces. Looked like an iPhone too. The guy was pissed obviously and all she said was "Oh, sorry...". Meanwhile he had to try to get the pieces of the phone together before the cars came and crushed the phone or better yet him. I said better him than me. I would've given her a good tongue lashing, but I don't think he had the time to considering his situation. :mad:

Coming back today from lunch on 53rd street I did that. Walked on the left hand side of the street coming down 5th.

yeah, the africans done took over the bootleg market... they're slowly takin over the (selling of) tourist memorabilia/items also....

Whatever became of that (proposed) bill, regarding getting heavily fined &/jailed if caught buying fake BS anyway ?

Good question. It has went underground, but I think that behind the scenes those companies are still making a stink. For example, I buy Canada Goose coats and their coats are constantly being copied because the real ones are expensive and a lot of folks like them but can't afford the real deal. They are constantly shutting down fake websites that popup and trying to sue the folks responsible, but there are so many of them that it's a never ending task. All of this of course takes time and money, which is why these companies have made such a stink and I don't blame them.

The real Canada Goose coats are only sold at select stores and on select websites that the company approves of, which are listed by Canada Goose on its website. All real Canada Goose coats are "Made in Canada" in their factory in Toronto and have serial numbers and such that you can verify with them after purchase. They apparently produce some items in Winnipeg as well.

The fakes often times have dog fur in them and God knows what else and can get folks sick. I always make sure that I check the Canada Goose website for authorized dealers before buying. This year I got my Canada Goose jacket from Bloomingdales. My Canadian parka for the winter which I'm still deciding on I will probably buy from the same authorized dealer online that I've used before just to make sure that I'm getting the real deal and not getting ripped off for $700.00 or whatever. :mad:

The company has stated that they could move production overseas, but they're committed to making their jackets and coats in Canada, as they are highly respected by Canadians throughout Canada and are a icon of the country. I'm glad that they haven't become a North Face and just started making imported, cheap garbage, so I'll keep buying their coats so long as they make them in Canada. :cool: That's one reason that they keep becoming pricier is because it costs more obviously to produce them in Canada.

I also picked up this Italian coat from Bloomingdales too and noticed that it had certain verification labels and tags too to protect against the fake stuff.

At this stage in my life, I've reached the point that I've started walking into people who stop on the sidewalk. Does the trick.

lol... on purpose?

Not me, hell with that... that's lookin for a reason to start an argument... I don't care much to want to say anything to anyone....

Now if someone's walking ahead of me, and they stop on a dime & I end up bumping/plowing into them.... I'm not apologizing, I'm not helpin them up if they fall (I've never bumped into a person so hard that they fell though... at least, not yet), I'm not sayin anything and I keep walking.... That does the trick for me... Usually the person apologizes... I tend to walk in the street to decrease the chances of any of that happening...

If that person were to come up to me on some BS though, that person better prepare for a fist fight, at the very least.... I'm not gettin into a shouting match on the street as to why they were dumb enough to impede the flow of pedestrians on a sidewalk b/c of their selfish reasons....

Funny... I do the same thing. I have to say that women are by far the WORST. They never know where in the hell they're going and they'll stop right in front of you and just stand there. They are so self absorbed that it really sickens me. One chick was crossing 5th & 45th once and she starts rushing out of nowhere, bangs into this guy and knocks his phone right out of his hand and the phone fell in the middle of 5th Avenue and fell into pieces. Looked like an iPhone too. The guy was pissed obviously and all she said was "Oh, sorry...". Meanwhile he had to try to get the pieces of the phone together before the cars came and crushed the phone or better yet him. I said better him than me. I would've given her a good tongue lashing, but I don't think he had the time to considering his situation.

100% truth... it's women moreso than men that's notorious for doing this nonsense... you get the ones that talk on the phone, they hear something that causes a reaction of awe, then they stop right dead in their tracks & look at the damn cellphone......

....or the lovey dovey couple holding hands & walkin like they have enema's up their behinds, too high on cloud 9 to consider the people around them....

....or the group of females cackaling like a bunch of hens, takin up sidewalk space like they own it, slowing up in front of you laughin like freakin idiots....

....or the ones with the baby strollers & the carrying of multiple bags in each hand stopping dead to window shop - Like you don't got enough crap to carry, inconveniencing other pedestrians around you in the process.....

Do I have to even mention the tourists that stop & take pics every 10 seconds.... ughk....

I'm so not a people person, and I aint attempting to hide it either.... lol....

Funny... I do the same thing.

Same here, especially when I'm running to the bus stop in the morning. It's easier than having to swerve out into the street (when there's a car next to the curb) because somebody is in a world of their own and doesn't move out of the way. As B35 said, that person is usually female.

At this stage in my life, I've reached the point that I've started walking into people who stop on the sidewalk. Does the trick.

lol... on purpose?

Not me, hell with that... that's lookin for a reason to start an argument... I don't care much to want to say anything to anyone....

Now if someone's walking ahead of me, and they stop on a dime & I end up bumping/plowing into them.... I'm not apologizing, I'm not helpin them up if they fall (I've never bumped into a person so hard that they fell though... at least, not yet), I'm not sayin anything and I keep walking.... That does the trick for me... Usually the person apologizes... I tend to walk in the street to decrease the chances of any of that happening...

If that person were to come up to me on some BS though, that person better prepare for a fist fight, at the very least.... I'm not gettin into a shouting match on the street as to why they were dumb enough to impede the flow of pedestrians on a sidewalk b/c of their selfish reasons....

Yeah, I tend to walk in the street too because people try to wise @sses like they don't see you and I sometimes I just get really pissed and before I know it I do something out of my character.

In Grand Central one morning it was hoards of people and everyone is just looking around and walking and not once are they looking in front of them and I know it is nothing but BS so I picked a random person (looked like a tourist) who pretended like he didn't see me and I said "Oh yeah?" I just shoved him out of my way and then he looks up like he doesn't know what's going on like why did I do that.

Another time that **** was happening in the Union Square station. White dude who was shorter than me is walking along like he doesn't see me and I got sick of people walking and me having to walk around them because they pretend like they don't see me and keep walking straight ahead and looking everywhere but in front of them, so I said okay fine. Nobody sees me right and I'm 6'4"? He keeps walking ahead and I just walked like I didn't see him and his ran dead smack into my shoulder but in a way that I made sure that I whacked him good and he started screaming and yelling in pain and I just kept walking.

I get really cranky if there's a bunch of people around and they're just standing there like they don't see you. Those European tourists are by far the rudest. I got sort of used to it when I lived in Italy. They just walk right into you, bang into you keep going like it was nothing, so I would do it too. The other day this French guy is standing in the doorway of this Belgian place that I frequent and I just kind of shoved him out of the way and then he looks like what was that for? It's like do I have to beg you to move out of the way when you're blocking the door as if you're so engrossed in your conversation that you don't see me? Really? :mad:

Now that just sounds like being a pri!ck. You hit a guy so hard on a subway platform where he coulda fallen right down that he started screaming, all because he didn't see you? There's a huge line between having somebody stop in front of you and smashing into people just cause they're not paying attention to you at every second.

Oh please. We were no where near the platform. We were walking in between the walkway that connects the (4) and (5) and the (N), (Q) and (R) and he saw me very clearly because we made eye contact. He just chose to pretend like he didn't see me because he expected me to move to the side for him esp. Sorry, nope he got what he deserved and next time he'll think twice before trying to be a wise @ss. One of those I'm going to walk in your path and you're going to move to side for me types.

You thought that was bad, you should've saw me Saturday night on the X10. I get on and sit down towards the front where those wheelchair chairs are. They move around a bit. Okay fine. This Asian lady comes and plops down in front me, tries to ram her chair back on my legs, so I let it slide. All throughout the trip she keep ramming herself back in her chair and her chair is moving all around and banging my knees. I let it slide because I'm in a good mood watching the hockey game on my phone. So by the time we reach Richmond and Victory (she had been in front of me since Midtown) she does it again and I said to myself, okay enough of this already. I took my knee and knocked her chair hard and the chair sort of knocked her in the back and she whirled around like I can't believe he just did that. I looked her dead in the eye as if to say now try that **** again. :mad: Had no more problems out of her after that. :cool:

Whiplash anyone?? B) :cool:

Oh please. We were no where near the platform. We were walking in between the walkway that connects the (4) and (5) and the (N), (Q) and (R) and he saw me very clearly because we made eye contact. He just chose to pretend like he didn't see me because he expected me to move to the side for him esp. Sorry, nope he got what he deserved and next time he'll think twice before trying to be a wise @ss. One of those I'm going to walk in your path and you're going to move to side for me types.

You thought that was bad, you should've saw me Saturday night on the X10. I get on and sit down towards the front where those wheelchair chairs are. They move around a bit. Okay fine. This Asian lady comes and plops down in front me, tries to ram her chair back on my legs, so I let it slide All throughout the trip she keep ramming herself back in her chair and her chair is moving all around and banging my knees. I let it slide because I'm in a good mood watching the hockey game on my phone. So by the time we reach Richmond and Victory she does it again and I said to myself, okay enough of this already. I took my knee and knocked her chair hard and the chair sort of knocked her in the back and she whirled around like I can't believe he just did that. I looked her dead in the eye as if to say now try that **** again. :mad: Had no more problems out of her after that. :cool:

Why cant we bump into eachother like that;) 1 shall stand ,1 shall fall

Why cant we bump into eachother like that;) 1 shall stand ,1 shall fall

Careful what you wish for... ;) All of those years playing hockey. I'm used to running into people and very rarely do I fall. Good stamina here and legs of steel. :cool:

Oh man, where's Don King when you need him to potentially set up and promote the next once in a life time fight? ;)B)

Archived