Is the LIRR safe to ride late at night?

nyctransit

the LIRR trains are typically fine, sometimes the stations can be a bit shady at night. Just remember basic common sense, don't play your iPod or play with your phone in full view of anyone, sit with other people instead of by yourself in an empty car. Ive been on the train home before around that time coming home from concerts at Madison Square Garden, its typically fine. If there's a game or something going on, or its a weekend, watch out for drunkards coming home late at night from the clubs. If I remember correctly the LIRR trains have emergency intercoms that put you in contact with train crew in case of a problem.

the LIRR trains are typically fine, sometimes the stations can be a bit shady at night. Just remember basic common sense, don't play your iPod or play with your phone in full view of anyone, sit with other people instead of by yourself in an empty car. Ive been on the train home before around that time coming home from concerts at Madison Square Garden, its typically fine. If there's a game or something going on, or its a weekend, watch out for drunkards coming home late at night from the clubs. If I remember correctly the LIRR trains have emergency intercoms that put you in contact with train crew in case of a problem.

Although I never been on the LIRR in dead of night i.e after 11pm, I am a regular rider of Metro North.

Metro North ends service from Grand Central at 2am. Basically almost the same story as Foxie told, more younger(college age)adults who are drunk and may get out of hand on occasion. Ditto for those coming from games/concerts at MSG or during the spring/summer at Yankee Stadium or Citifield as well.

Also on weekend overnights, MTA Police will either have officers ride for part of the ride or have patrol cars at key stations as well. And lastly as Foxie also made a great suggestion in always be alert and awake for personal safety. Keep your I-pod and other expensive stuff out of sight particuarly when leaving at stops outside of Manhattan. Security IMO is not a big issue at Penn Station or GCT with plenty of NYPD and (MTA)/NY state Police all over the place.

is the LIRR safe late at night, particularly the ride from penn station to Woodside(queens)or Flushing main street(queens) leaving penn station at 11 pm or so?

Are there a good number of commuters on the train at that hour?

Yes is it safe i've past the station many times on a late train to Babylon, just be prepared for long waits :P

is the LIRR safe late at night, particularly the ride from penn station to Woodside(queens)or Flushing main street(queens) leaving penn station at 11 pm or so?

Are there a good number of commuters on the train at that hour?

If you don't mind the smell of booze and drunks then yeah it's pretty much safe no beggers at all.

Yes. I've ridden between Flushing and Penn during the overnight hours many times. It's perfectly safe.

Some stations like East New York look like they would be pretty shady at night, esp as that particular station where its kinda isolated.

I'd have to agree. It would be a bit better if they actually lit the damn place.

That is the Port Washington line which I frequent. I've taken it all all hours of the night. Its very safe.

On fri & saturday night you may see the drunks. Same goes for sporting events at Citifield or any major sporting events/concerts in nyc. I would still feel very safe overall

The C/R walks though the train on the LIRR, so its pretty safe, well on the train at least.

Some stations like East New York look like they would be pretty shady at night, esp as that particular station where its kinda isolated.

that station is creepy all of the time, even during the daytime, probably is the most creepyest station in the system, Nostrand and Wyandanch are probably second and third.

Like about 2003 or 2004, I remember walking though the underpass that goes under the tracks at the LIRR ENY station and it was pretty creepy, a old ticket booth that looked like it was premently closed, etc. It was only me and my mom down there, pretty quiet, and this was during the afternoon, I wanna go back to see as while it was scary it was pretty cool, esp the ticket booth that was down there, I hope it wasn't removed!

that station is creepy all of the time, even during the daytime, probably is the most creepyest station in the system, Nostrand and Wyandanch are probably second and third.

With couple of new 'national' chain motels in the area that opened in last 2 years or so, you would think the (MTA) would at least try to upgrade the LIRR East NY station.

Thanks forum members for your imputs :P! I have used the subway at late hours around 11pm , and found the subways pretty safe(atleast on my routes). But, I found the LIRR trains empty whenever I travelled and I usually travel to work in the afternoons. So I was wondering if they are the same way in the night too. Like ,we have just 4-5 people in one car from jamaica to atlantic terminal during afternoon hours.

As far as the station goes, I would use the LIRR from penn station to woodside or to flushing-main street. All the three stations are usually safe on the subway even at night. But, I'd need to figure out the walk from subway to LIRR and vice versa at woodside and flushing.

the long waits kind of sounds bad to me :P , this would mean I would be better off taking the subway on some ocassions. I would probably have to checl schedules before I decide to walk toward the LIRR tracks. Sometimes the subway,I use the E/F or the 7) are faster at night. Also, when I saw the schedule from penn, there are only few trains that leave after 11 pm but there are a bucnh that leave up to 11 pm.

Is there any one particular track that port washington train leaves from penn station? I would be coming from the 2. So thankfully, the LIRR walk is not a long one from the 2. On the days when I have a long wait for the LIRR, I might just use the subway.

Are you taking the Port Wash line on weekend or weekday? The weekend every 1 hr schedule is a real annoyance. Weekday is far better throughout the evening until 1:18am, then its a 2 hr wait.

If safety is an issue, there is a always police presence not far from the ticket booth at Penn Station. If you are going to flushing, I recc sitting in the first car. There is the conductor driver there plus when you get off, the stair case is right there with everyone else getting off. If its woodside, I believe its right in the middle of the train. It can be quiet but there are so many tracks there and some people waiting as well heading to all parts of LI.

As for track, there is no guarantee which track it is. If you frequent a particular train, the track tends to be the same but can change anytime. For example, I recall the 5:11pm train was 95% always on track 17.

It's safe at night. I work the graveyard 12 mid to 8:30 shift at the West Side Yard ,so I'm riding the rails to work every night.Other then Friday and Saturday night ,or a concert at MSG you will get your drunk club kids or concert goers.There's usually a large police presence in Penn Station so if your going through there its mostly a crowd of people going home looking at the boards.On the trains is real quiet ,some trains are notorious for the partiers like RKO and Babylon but other then that its no problem

Archived