Bed bugs mci bus

mikemalibu

Oh how lovely... Well today I'm wearing my $1,100.00 coat from Italy and I avoid putting it on the express bus seats. I lay it on top of my American made laptop bag which lies flat to avoid those types of things. My second coat (Canadian coat) I do the same thing with it. Going to wash that sucker soon even though I'm very careful about where I put it at. Anytime I get in a cab my coat usually comes off and I put it on my lap. Just ordered another Canadian parka to switch up for the winter and when that one arrives from Vancouver in a few weeks, I'll do the same thing with that one too.

:confused:Only because it begs the question if you are removing your coat, won't the bedbugs just attach to your clothing, which in turn after you exit the vehicle and put the coat back on will have them on the inside of the coat lining, crawling around between your pants and shirt? etc.:eek:

:)As for your international coat collection, good for you, I wish the MTA would hire a fashionista such as yourself so we could all rock those cool Italian uniform looks!;)

Leaving a newspaper on a seat, well at least in the subway, isn't out of laziness to throw it away. People leave the paper on the seat all the time because they know that there's going to be people who will pick it up, especially if it's the Times. I've picked up a newspaper off a seat before to read it, and I put it back down when I was done.

Maybe hes right, maybe hes wrong, who knows. Bedbugs could be on buses, especially the ones with fabric seats.

Heh ive seen roaches in buses myself, if that clears something up..

The lack of any media coverage whatsoever, plus the fact that the user only has 7 posts definitely makes me question his credibility.

I'm not saying whether or not bed bugs on an express bus are possible, I'm just saying that the source is unreliable.

I have seen raccoons, dogs, mice, rats, pidgeons, seagulls, possums, a snake, cats, roach families with thousands of new born babies (Big & small), waterbugs, more ants then I could stomp, a few dozen bees, 100s of flies, thousands of mosquitos, a praying mantis, one guine pig, and several unknown species of things, some with multiple legs, some that squirmed, some that just looked dangerous like molds. This is all while still in the yard, on a bus. And it does not include the millions of microscopic bugs that every few years are reported in a newspaper about the germs on board transit buses. So, yes there are bed bugs on buses as passengers have them and bring them on board and regardless of extermination can be back when that passenger boards the next day.:eek:

:)B/Os are not included as it is against MTA policy for any employee to bring unauthorized wildlife, bugs, germs, etc to work and on board. ;)

A newly created account with only 7 posts decides to start a "scare" about bed bugs and can't even spell properly?

I don't know, but this seems a little odd. Could anyone else please confirm his story?

Oh please, you dismiss a guy based on just a few posts? There are people here with tons of posts and just 'spams' the place. A new poster is the least of your worries. Like with any source I'd take it with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't use post count as the only reason to dismiss a person's report. Be more open minded.

Plus where do you think you hear about 12-9s before the media even reports about it? The news are not always going to report every single event.

Why wouldn't yall believe him? What an express bus cant have bed bugs? Not all these people that ride the system are clean regardless if the take local buses, express buses or the train. Just last month a B/O at flatbush had to go to the hospital and get a tetanus shot because something was biting her arm while she was driving the bus. The news doesn't have to report this particular incident because they already touched on this subject earlier this year when the bed bugs were popping up every where. Give the guy a break for all you know he probably works at that depot.

I do have to get a chuckle about how it isn't just an onus on the 'average' rider now. Express bus riders aren't safe either. This bug problem shows they don't care about 'class' they affect everyone equally.

Also isn't it harder for a bug to hitch a ride on hard plastic seats compared to soft fabric covered seats? I never liked those velvet type cover on the local buses. They get dirty quickly and seem hard to clean off.

:confused:Only because it begs the question if you are removing your coat, won't the bedbugs just attach to your clothing, which in turn after you exit the vehicle and put the coat back on will have them on the inside of the coat lining, crawling around between your pants and shirt? etc.:eek:

:)As for your international coat collection, good for you, I wish the MTA would hire a fashionista such as yourself so we could all rock those cool Italian uniform looks!;)

lol... Well you I can thank my mamma for my fashion sense. She was into fashion growing up and went to F.I.T., so it's in the blood. ;)

Makes sense to me. Huge cloth seats, many people per day, it's like a mobile movie theater. Naturally you're gonna get the little critters eventually, there's just too much dirt going around. Best thing they're doing is getting rid of those cloth seats if you ask me, makes it better for all of us.

Not only was that ostentatious and obnoxious, it was also completely irrelevant. Well done!

I thought the express bus was only for the elite crème de la crème! We know what you're getting at here, the express bus occasionally goes through poor neighborhoods and you associate that with filth. Here's a little fact: it's NYC, the place is a pigsty, I count 8 bums on my walk to the train every morning. You just gotta live with it, it's not a geographic or socioeconomic thing.

Ahhh... I was waiting for the Eye-tile to chime in... ;)

I have seen raccoons, dogs, mice, rats, pidgeons, seagulls, possums, a snake, cats, roach families with thousands of new born babies (Big & small), waterbugs, more ants then I could stomp, a few dozen bees, 100s of flies, thousands of mosquitos, a praying mantis, one guine pig, and several unknown species of things, some with multiple legs, some that squirmed, some that just looked dangerous like molds. This is all while still in the yard, on a bus. And it does not include the millions of microscopic bugs that every few years are reported in a newspaper about the germs on board transit buses. So, yes there are bed bugs on buses as passengers have them and bring them on board and regardless of extermination can be back when that passenger boards the next day.:eek:

Ugh, don't remind me. I just try to take precautions whenever I use any public transportation. I don't sit on the subway... Too many bums riding and I always wash my hands immediately once I get home or to the office. Same thing goes for when I use the express bus. I feel a little more comfortable sitting on the express bus but not by much only because there are fewer seedy folks riding. I try to watch where I put my stuff at and I have on occasion gotten off of an express bus if it was too dirty/smelly where I couldn't stand the stench (i.e. reeks of cigarettes or some other disgusting odor) and waited for the next one. The other day I took an X14 home and there was basically one person in the back when I got on and that bus stunk something incredible. I took out my body spray and sprayed that on to the seats around me to cover whatever that stench was and then opened up all of the air vents around me and that neutralized things for the ride home. It was an older bus, so I'm thinking it just needed a good cleaning, but I was really sorry I took that bus instead of the X30. :eek:

As I'm sure you know, some of them can be down right awful from lack of cleaning and such, so I'm sure that bed bugs can be on express buses. I think the chance of them being about would be reduced if they steamed those seats good and gave them a good cleaning inside, but I would imagine that the most they do is mop the floors or put down new flooring or change the seat covers every now and again.

Leaving a newspaper on a seat, well at least in the subway, isn't out of laziness to throw it away. People leave the paper on the seat all the time because they know that there's going to be people who will pick it up, especially if it's the Times. I've picked up a newspaper off a seat before to read it, and I put it back down when I was done.

While true, that's still nothin more than a convenient excuse... It aint any different than when people do it on the bus or the subway....

Someone else finding a use for an already read newspaper doesn't absolve the laziness of the person who originally left it there...

LOL... You make a good point. While I've seen other people pick up used newspapers, I've never done it. I'm a bit of a germ phobe. And yes, I'm crazy w/recycling too. I say if more folks were cleaner, there would be fewer bedbugs running a muck in this city.

Oh, I'm not a germaphobe, but I simply refuse to pick up anything after anybody in a public place... worse, even go as far as to use whatever it is....

On quite a few occasions I've rode the LIRR & MNRR, where I had someone ask me if I wanted the paper they were reading, and I always go, nah... no thanks.... It's a nice gesture, but still....

1) True, folks are products of their environment... However, I still think you're tryna draw a parallel between social upbringing/class & cleanliness/hygiene.... which I simply refuse to buy into....

2) Seriously though, I don't see any difference whatsoever b/w the two examples I gave, as far as it pertains to lack of cleanliness.... I'm not pickin up someone else's chicken bone (there's no real reason to), and I'm not pickin up a newspaper I see on a seat.... Both of which I find equally disgusting...

I notice people's habits; the licking of fingers as they turn pages, the sneezing into a newspaper, the picking of their noses while reading a newspaper - Yeah, no thank you.... and of course, you're not gonna pick up a chicken bone & start eatin the remnants or sucking the marrow dry... no thank you to that also....

If you're willing enough to throw food on the ground, or willing enough to just drop a paper on the seat for the next chap, it's still filthy AFAIC......

(which reminds me, I have to empty out my bag & get rid of those old daily free newspapers (I don't leave em on no seat) & recycle them.... which is another thing.... you should see how much of a recycle nut I am... I will save an empty poland spring or a sprite bottle I bought from a store, wait til I get home, and drop it in the ole blue bag..... same goes for, if I open anything w/ plastic wrapped around it....)

1) Agreed.

2) Well, there's a difference. A chicken bone has been in direct contact with their mouth (and the street), and you're putting it in your mouth.

The newspaper's only been in contact with their hands, and you're only picking it up with your hands. You can always wash them off when you get inside, and there's unlikely to be anything on them anyway (if they sneezed into the newspaper or something, then you'd notice the chunks of snot on it).

And I'm a cheapskate. Whenever I get a plastic bottle, I bring it home and later on, I bring it to the store to get the deposit back.

Same here.

1) Makes sense to me. Huge cloth seats, many people per day, it's like a mobile movie theater. Naturally you're gonna get the little critters eventually, there's just too much dirt going around. Best thing they're doing is getting rid of those cloth seats if you ask me, makes it better for all of us.

2) I thought the express bus was only for the elite crème de la crème! We know what you're getting at here, the express bus occasionally goes through poor neighborhoods and you associate that with filth. Here's a little fact: it's NYC, the place is a pigsty, I count 8 bums on my walk to the train every morning. You just gotta live with it, it's not a geographic or socioeconomic thing.

1) The thing is that part of the appeal of the express bus is the fact that you're spending 60 minutes in a soft, cushioned seat, rather than 45 minutes on a hard seat.

Of course, you're right that the bedbugs would rather hide in a soft, cushioned seat than on a hard seat. It's warmer and it also hides them better.

2) LOL! :tup:

Well, there's a difference. A chicken bone has been in direct contact with their mouth (and the street), and you're putting it in your mouth.

The newspaper's only been in contact with their hands, and you're only picking it up with your hands. You can always wash them off when you get inside, and there's unlikely to be anything on them anyway (if they sneezed into the newspaper or something, then you'd notice the chunks of snot on it)

Yeah well, to me it isn't....

saliva on a chicken bone isn't anymore or less disgusting than someone's snot (or, surprise....saliva !) having came from someone sneezing on a paper.... while reading a newspaper, you won't notice someone's dried up spit on the thing, if it's been sitting on a seat or w/e for any decent length of time....

You can argue what's the odds of someone sneezing into, or licking their fingers & turnin the pages while reading a paper... regardless, those aren't chances I, myself are willing to take...... I don't put anything past the general public as far as hygenic practices are concerned....

There is no correlation between level of hygiene, or income level, and presence of bed bugs. They have been found in just as many duplexes on the Upper East Side as in housing projects in Bed-Stuy.

They attack everyone and everything and are damn tough to get rid of. I still won't go back to that theater on 42nd street, just in case there is still a bug or two hiding out.

I am not at all surprised that some would be found on an express bus, local bus, or subway. I am just glad that the MTA actually called an exterminator right away. They probably knew the lawsuits they would face if it got out.

Anyone can get them no matter how much you shower or how much you baptize yourself in cologne/body spray. You don't know whowas using that bus seat before you.

Express Bus?

id86ma.jpg

LOL @ the little bedbugs trollin' on the express bus.

hope they paid the fare :P

The lack of any media coverage whatsoever, plus the fact that the user only has 7 posts definitely makes me question his credibility.

I'm not saying whether or not bed bugs on an express bus are possible, I'm just saying that the source is unreliable.

How ignorant, but coming from you, it's not surprising

My point was that there are certain folks that are downright nasty, hence why I said seedy, meaning that their filth is obvious because you can smell them or they just look dirty. And yes I also made a point to include certain neighborhoods too because certain neighborhoods are downright nasty, so there's a greater likelihood of getting some nasty person on the bus for that reason. If you live in filth and see nothing but filth around you, chances are you'll be filthy too. You can call it a stereotype which it is true to a degree, but there is some truth to that. You are a product of your environment, which was my point. Sure, some slobs come from good neighborhoods too, but that's not the norm for the most part.

For someone who spent over $1,000 for some coat, you sure as hell know jack shit when it comes to bedbugs. Bedbugs don't know the difference between Brownsville, Brooklyn and Park Ave, Manhattan. They will go any and everywhere they want to go. Also, you can have the cleanest house in America and you can STILL get bedbugs. I've heard of many cases of houses/apartments that were clean as a whistle and yet were infested with Bedbugs. There have been reports in the last year or 2 of bedbugs being found in stores like Bergdorf Goodman on 5th Ave and other high-retail stores and they are not known for being dirty. You can smell like a rose garden and still carry one of them critters on you. Being poor and being in a run down area does not mean that you are going to deal with a bedbugs.

Also your statement about the likelihood of people living in filthy areas being filthy themselves is just as "filthy" as a bedbug. You never cease to amaze me VG8. Never.

How ignorant, but coming from you, it's not surprising

For someone who spent over $1,000 for some coat, you sure as hell know jack shit when it comes to bedbugs. Bedbugs don't know the difference between Brownsville, Brooklyn and Park Ave, Manhattan. They will go any and everywhere they want to go. Also, you can have the cleanest house in America and you can STILL get bedbugs. I've heard of many cases of houses/apartments that were clean as a whistle and yet were infested with Bedbugs. There have been reports in the last year or 2 of bedbugs being found in stores like Bergdorf Goodman on 5th Ave and other high-retail stores and they are not known for being dirty. You can smell like a rose garden and still carry one of them critters on you. Being poor and being in a run down area does not mean that you are going to deal with a bedbugs.

Also your statement about the likelihood of people living in filthy areas being filthy themselves is just as "filthy" as a bedbug. You never cease to amaze me VG8. Never.

Your statement is true about bed bugs. A colleague of mine lives in Yorkville and her apartment building had an outbreak of them a few years back and that's a very upscale area. However, my comments are not ignorant because we also talked about other things found on the subways and such and filthy people will draw out other types of things like roaches and rats and such, so yeah, I'd rather avoid going through run down neighborhoods where rats, roaches and other nasty things are more likely to show up, since those poor areas tend to be filthier. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I haven't saw any roaches or anything on the express bus, but if I did, I would imagine that they would probably come from some run down area like Mariner's Harbor or Port Richmond. :eek: :P

Guest lance25

Here's the thing, we aren't talking about roaches. Roaches are attracted to food. Bed bugs are attracted to you. That's why it doesn't matter two bits whether you're on the BxM1 or the No. (1) subway line. Add the fact that they're quite clingy and you've got the possibility of them attaching themselves to your clothes, regardless of where you are.

Your statement is true about bed bugs. A colleague of mine lives in Yorkville and her apartment building had an outbreak of them a few years back and that's a very upscale area. However, my comments are not ignorant because we also talked about other things found on the subways and such and filthy people will draw out other types of things like roaches and rats and such, so yeah, I'd rather avoid going through run down neighborhoods where rats, roaches and other nasty things are more likely to show up, since those poor areas tend to be filthier. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I haven't saw any roaches or anything on the express bus, but if I did, I would imagine that they would probably come from some run down area like Mariner's Harbor or Port Richmond. :eek: B)

Tell me, which of these do you think looks cleaner:

1652 Sheepshead Bay Road, New York, United States - Google Maps (Sheepshead Bay)

82 Confederation Place, Staten Island, NY - Google Maps (Mariners' Harbor)

Sheepshead Bay is supposedly the more "affluent" community (though in reality, it's not much of a difference), and that sidewalk looks dirtier than the one in the second photo.

In any case, there are plenty of old apartments all across the city, from the wealthiest areas to the poorest ones. Do you think the apartments in this image are completely clean, being relatively old and being crammed right next to each other.

east 88th Street at third avenue, ny, ny - Google Maps

And there are ones that are a lot older in parts of the Village and Lower Manhattan.

1652 Sheepshead Bay Road, New York, United States - Google Maps (Sheepshead Bay)

Why are you comparing a pizzeria to a residential area ???

Why are you comparing a pizzeria to a residential area ???

My sentiments exactly. He can't compare the two.

Sheepshead Bay is supposedly the more "affluent" community (though in reality, it's not much of a difference), and that sidewalk looks dirtier than the one in the second photo.

In any case, there are plenty of old apartments all across the city, from the wealthiest areas to the poorest ones. Do you think the apartments in this image are completely clean, being relatively old and being crammed right next to each other.

east 88th Street at third avenue, ny, ny - Google Maps

And there are ones that are a lot older in parts of the Village and Lower Manhattan.

I'm going to echo B35's comments. I lived in Sheepshead Bay for more than half of my life and Sheepshead Bay Rd has always been FILTHY, esp. by the train station. That's no secret. However, it's not a residential area. It's a commercial one that gets a lot of foot traffic and a lot of nasty folks smoking cigarettes and leaving their butts everywhere and quite frankly those businesses should be held accountable for keeping their sidewalks in such disgusting conditions because they're part of the problem too since they don't clean their sidewalks enough with water and soap and such like some places do. There's a few Chinese places over there too that has esp. filthy sidewalks. Can't recall if they sell seafood or what, but in any case, where I lived at just a few blocks away from Sheepshead Bay Rd there on Homecrest was very clean.

Now as far as Mariner's Harbor goes, there are some really disgusting residential areas and commercial areas. Just run down and nasty and you can try to deny that all you want but it's true because I saw it with my own eyes.

Buses get bed bugs? Since when? I have never heard of such thing before, so if this has happened before then it's news to me. :eek:

It makes perfect sense, esp. on commuter buses which have those soft seats. The seats are like begs to bed bugs. They can find places to hide in them and remain nice and comfy.

Archived