Prevost questions

Via Garibaldi 8

Last Saturday night I got on the 2400 on the X1 back to Staten Island. The X10 was there but it was late and I figured that it would be crushloaded. Man, the space with those seats is horrible!! :mad: I sat in what is apparently the wheelchair seat on the bus :P (on the MCIs some of the seats near the wheelchair seat offer lots of leg room) and I could barely get my Whole Foods bags into the space between the seats. I kept banging my drivers (driving shoes for anyone who is confused) into whatever those metal things were near the floor since I had no leg room. The seats are retarded as well. Very difficult to recline and the seats appear to be lower near the floor. Overall, very cramped experience. I feel for the folks that will be riding them. Now here are my questions:

1. Do the Prevosts have more seats on them (for (MTA) routes) than the MCIs? If so how many more seats?

2. What is up with the Stop Requested sign? It's a horrible throw back and it's difficult to know if it even works since it doesn't appear to make any noise and it barely lights up since it is a light pink and cream white color.

All I have to say is I hope the (MTA) doesn't order anymore of them or if they do, they need to reconfigure the seats because many of us (ahem) are over 6'0". :tdown:

The seats are lower in the Prevost. I thought Greyhound and Bolt spec'd the seats like that and now I guess that's how they come. The only reason why the GLI Prevost have any comfort at all is because the only seat 50...The (MTA)'s seat 57.

For all the money spent I'm really not impressed with them. That sign is horrendous and the mirrors just looks so cheap on the X3. I would have rather seen more orders for the tried and true D4500.

For all the money spent I'm really not impressed with them. That sign is horrendous and the mirrors just looks so cheap on the X3. I would have rather seen more orders for the tried and true D4500.

Amen to that. They looked cool the first time I saw them, but I am no longer impressed. That split sign looks so cheap, and frankly, I think the MCI's just look nicer and the boxier design fits in better. I do like that there are oulets at every seat on the Prevosts, though. Maybe future MCI orders will include that, too.

Last Saturday night I got on the 2400 on the X1 back to Staten Island. The X10 was there but it was late and I figured that it would be crushloaded. Man, the space with those seats is horrible!! :mad: I sat in what is apparently the wheelchair seat on the bus :( (on the MCIs some of the seats near the wheelchair seat offer lots of leg room) and I could barely get my Whole Foods bags into the space between the seats. I kept banging my drivers (driving shoes for anyone who is confused) into whatever those metal things were near the floor since I had no leg room. The seats are retarded as well. Very difficult to recline and the seats appear to be lower near the floor. Overall, very cramped experience. I feel for the folks that will be riding them. Now here are my questions:

1. Do the Prevosts have more seats on them (for (MTA) routes) than the MCIs? If so how many more seats?

2. What is up with the Stop Requested sign? It's a horrible throw back and it's difficult to know if it even works since it doesn't appear to make any noise and it barely lights up since it is a light pink and cream white color.

All I have to say is I hope the (MTA) doesn't order anymore of them or if they do, they need to reconfigure the seats because many of us (ahem) are over 6'0". :tdown:

I actually think the seats are very nice and spacious. Of course I'm only 5'7", but they still didn't seem that bad at all to me. I'm not really sure why they would have less room as both the Prevost and MCI are 57 seat 45 footers.

I know the seats aren't as wide, but that all depends on MTA's specifications. They are the ones who decide which seats go in the bus. Not Prevost.

The seats are lower in the Prevost. I thought Greyhound and Bolt spec'd the seats like that and now I guess that's how they come. The only reason why the GLI Prevost have any comfort at all is because the only seat 50...The (MTA)'s seat 57.

The Greyhound D4500CT's and X3-45's have 55 seats. They would have 57 as well if it weren't for the restroom. However, I still find them both very comfortable. Some don't like the seats, but I love them. I especially love that they are leather, and have outlets right in the back of them.

I actually think the seats are very nice and spacious. Of course I'm only 5'7", but they still didn't seem that bad at all to me. I'm not really sure why they would have less room as both the Prevost and MCI are 57 seat 45 footers.

I know the seats aren't as wide, but that all depends on MTA's specifications. They are the ones who decide which seats go in the bus. Not Prevost.

The funny thing was I was looking at people who were shorter than me say 5'7" :( and they didn't seem to have much room either. Imagine being 6'4" as I am. :eek: I'm still wondering why the seats are such much closer to the floor though and why do they have those bars there for? You can either keep banging feet into them :mad: or use them as foot rests. I did both since I didn't have much of a choice with me being so cramped. lol Oh do you know anything about the recliners? They're using different ones on the Prevosts. The bottom isn't there in the armrest like on the MCIs. They're on the sides of the seats which are far more annoying to use.

P.S. I would've never thought you were 5'7". For some reason I thought you were taller. :confused:

Why are the seats lower? Wouldn't that ruin leg room in a way because your sitting position is different?

I'm 5'7" as well and if I don't have a bag on I fit in the seats on the NG CNGs here nicely.

Not sure, but that's the deal and then the seats appear to be arched in a way to further restrict your leg room. The only interesting thing is the Prevosts seem to be lower to the ground as opposed to the MCIs. In other stepping onto the bus seemed like less of a chore, but other than that the MCIs win by a mile. If the B/O kneels an MCI that takes care of that little advantage that the Prevosts have.

I have yet to board those new express buses....

It's a horrible throw back and it's difficult to know if it even works since it doesn't appear to make any noise and it barely lights up since it is a light pink and cream white color.

All I have to say is I hope the doesn't order anymore of them or if they do, they need to reconfigure the seats because many of us (ahem) are over 6'0".

wtf, light pink & cream?

....as the pandering to females in this country continues... lol....

I forget which transit company's buses have a navy blue on light blue stop requested sign color scheme again, but those are just as bad.... The narrowing of these things don't help matters either; gotta be an eagle eye just to see em... I have 20/20 (vision), but a lot of folks don't......

All I have to say is I hope the doesn't order anymore of them or if they do, they need to reconfigure the seats because many of us (ahem) are over 6'0".

I'm glad you mentioned that.... They say the average man is somewhere around 5'11"... Ever since I've heard that statistic, I've always had doubts about that.... To me, that's like sayin, for every dude that's as tall as us, there's someone ENY's & Joel Up front's height (if my math is correct).... I dunno, maybe I'm basing my thoughts/findings from a limited perspective....

What I'm ultimately gettin at is, the amount of seating on a bus is important..... But spacing between seating should be just as important.... all I need is a 1/2" and I'm straight; I aint one of these folks out here talkin about I need a whole foot of space (you hear that argument quite a bit when it comes to airplane seating), that's just being selfish....

Why are the seats lower? Wouldn't that ruin leg room in a way because your sitting position is different?

Yup, and it can ruin more than that too, bro.....

I have lingering hamstring issues... outside of the lack of legroom, that's another reason I don't opt to sit on the "low floor" portion/seating of the buses... I have to get up slow like I'm an old man; if I get up too fast on lower floored seats, my hammy's tighten up..... The lower you are to the ground, the more energy that has to be expended (no matter what height you are)....

I'm 6'2 and I fit in the last row of seats in the back just fine the one time I rode these buses. :cool:

I like the fact that the isle is wider than the MCIs, so big, clumsy like myself can walk down the isle without bumping into people!

I like the bigger windows as well.

This bus is a dime piece! :tup:

I'm 6'2 and I fit in the last row of seats in the back just fine the one time I rode these buses. :cool:

I like the fact that the isle is wider than the MCIs, so big, clumsy like myself can walk down the isle without bumping into people!

I like the bigger windows as well.

This bus is a dime piece! :tup:

I rode this bus on Friday and I sat in the last row as well (I'm 6'0) and I was comfortable. To me, I thought the bus was a little more spacious than the MCI BUT I've only ridden it once. I would like to ride it again to have a better opinion of it cause I could be wrong but from my 1st trip on it, I thought it was a very good bus.

I'm 6'2 and I fit in the last row of seats in the back just fine the one time I rode these buses.

The seats in the back row & the seating around the wheelchair lift area usually provides the most spacing....

That's why I gun for the back row when I board any MCI... even NJT's own....

There are definitely more women riding the express bus than men.

...because there are more men driving their own personal vehicles to work.

No one's disputing that.

Still though, that's no excuse for decreasing the spacing b/w seating, if that's what's being implicated there......

(if that's the case w/ these new express buses)

The Greyhound D4500CT's and X3-45's have 55 seats. They would have 57 as well if it weren't for the restroom. However, I still find them both very comfortable. Some don't like the seats, but I love them. I especially love that they are leather, and have outlets right in the back of them.

ENY, The GLI X3s and 4505s have 50 seats, so do the refurb'd DL3s. They did that to increase the leg room in the buses. I've ridden Greyhound's X3s 4 times and everytime it's been horrible. The seats are just way too close to the ground. From what I hear, that been a constant complaint since those buses entered service.

I'm not an X3 fan anyway. As a driver they ride nice and smooth but I don't like the layout of driver's area. Certain controls are not in the logical spot and I hate the fact that the steering wheel does not go into a "flat" position, it's always tilted towards you, so if you raise the seat all they way up the wheel is in your lap. I prefer my DL3/4500s.....she may not look as pretty, but she'll get you there.

Not to worry... I won't take them for granted because I won't be using them unless I absolutely have to. LOL Those Prevosts are the new CNGs aka rip-off $5.50 rides. :mad::mad:

Ink.... sounds like you're never happy with any bus. Ng's Novas and now the Prevost. if this was a perfect world and the TA was a perfect agency, would you still hate the buses? The riders complain that they want new buses. All I hear is complaining about the NEW buses buses. Be happy they're here. Be happy the TA dont charge you by zones as they do across the water in NJ. Be happy because these little things are meaningless and the TA sure as hell Will not listen to you or anyone else about the design of seats! Just saying!

Ink.... sounds like you're never happy with any bus. Ng's Novas and now the Prevost. if this was a perfect world and the TA was a perfect agency, would you still hate the buses? The riders complain that they want new buses. All I hear is complaining about the NEW buses buses. Be happy they're here. Be happy the TA dont charge you by zones as they do across the water in NJ. Be happy because these little things are meaningless and the TA sure as hell Will not listen to you or anyone else about the design of seats! Just saying!

That's funny... I'm never happy with any bus, but I've given plenty of compliments for other new buses that the (MTA) has put out. Yeah, clearly you read what you want to. As for your other comment about these "little things", why don't you give up your leg room while driving the bus for hours and see how you feel and come back to me and let me know if you think that it's a "little thing". A little thing that apparently many other customers complained about... lol

That's funny... I'm never happy with any bus, but I've given plenty of compliments for other new buses that the (MTA) has put out. Yeah, clearly you read what you want to. As for your other comment about these "little things", why don't you give up your leg room while driving the bus for hours and see how you feel and come back to me and let me know if you think that it's a "little thing". A little thing that apparently many other customers complained about... lol

Tall drivers have actually been doing that for decades. Those pre-Millennium narrow-front-door RTS' have no room at all in the drivers area.

I'll swap seats anytime with you. You think that every bus has leg room in op area, you're terribly mistaken. K

Archived