Are bus operators written up,if they are late frequently?

ac1962

If a bus operator constantly pulls in late to depot, is he written up? What about if they are tied up in traffic? I know bx-15 is a long route and it is in traffic on 125th street everyday.

They can't touch you unless you are deliberately doing stuff to pull in late. A lot of guys will drag the line their last trip to get a late slip. Another example: At NJT's Meadowlands garage they have runs that deadhead back from Lenoia,Bergenfield,and Cresskill....guys will sit by the tolls at Exit 17 so they can get delay pay. Every so often somebody will get bold with it and get caught and the rest lay low until the heat dies down and go back to their habits. I don't co-sign on doing that....but it is what it is!

They can't touch you unless you are deliberately doing stuff to pull in late. A lot of guys will drag the line their last trip to get a late slip. Another example: At NJT's Meadowlands garage they have runs that deadhead back from Lenoia,Bergenfield,and Cresskill....guys will sit by the tolls at Exit 17 so they can get delay pay. Every so often somebody will get bold with it and get caught and the rest lay low until the heat dies down and go back to their habits. I don't co-sign on doing that....but it is what it is!

lol... Will NJT be getting the tracking system like the (MTA) is getting??

lol... Will NJT be getting the tracking system like the (MTA) is getting??

I've heard the MCIs are getting GPS....The NABIs already have it.

I'm not trying to make it sound like the entire Meadowlands garage does this....it's just those couple of knuckleheads that screw things up for everybody else. I don't know why anybody would want to pull in late every night....you're making yourself look bad as an operator and with the long days we already have to deal with, why make them longer. I love driving but I want to be on my way home by my punch out time!

If a bus operator constantly pulls in late to depot, is he written up? What about if they are tied up in traffic? I know bx-15 is a long route and it is in traffic on 125th street everyday.

They can question you, but unless they have some verified proof that you're purposely dragging the line somehow, or even on a pull-in trip, you pull over and hang out for a bit over an hour, and try to get a late slip, they'll start trailing you...

However, if your lateness is legit, like tied up in traffic and such, then nope, there's no disciplinary action taken.

You can always justify being late in service; you can never justify being early though.

lol... I've been noticing that the X10s have been coming a bit late now rather than running early as the normally do. Must've been the stink that I've been making... One even waited at a few stops last nigh even though he was already late, which never happens on the X10. :eek: I'll see how next weekend goes...

They can question you, but unless they have some verified proof that you're purposely dragging the line somehow, or even on a pull-in trip, you pull over and hang out for a bit over an hour, and try to get a late slip, they'll start trailing you...

However, if your lateness is legit, like tied up in traffic and such, then nope, there's no disciplinary action taken.

You can always justify being late in service; you can never justify being early though.

There was a N6 driver that was ALWAYS late, If the bus was late he was usually the driver, he was just sooooo slowwww.

lol... I've been noticing that the X10s have been coming a bit late now rather than running early as the normally do. Must've been the stink that I've been making... One even waited at a few stops last nigh even though he was already late, which never happens on the X10. :eek: I'll see how next weekend goes...

Or maybe all the senor guys are on vacation and they have B/O's that normally don't do the express buses working them. Guys with 25 year on work a little different then a extra list guy with 4 years on the job.

I see people going slow at times, but I was always told that it was to prevent from being early; that they would get in trouble for being too early. Made me always wonder why they never adjust the schedules, if it actually takes quicker to get from one point to the other at a given time, then they have scheduled it.

Or maybe all the senor guys are on vacation and they have B/O's that normally don't do the express buses working them. Guys with 25 year on work a little different then a extra list guy with 4 years on the job.

Good point... The funny thing is I'm actually very familiar with most of the B/Os on the island since I've used most of the express buses. The B/O driving the other day I've seen before, so he's not that new. I still see the first B/O that I had when I took the X16 for the first time and I know he's an old timer. Still remember that day. The first X16 of the morning (06:45) in November. Italian guy... He actually snubbed me when I went to speak to him when I got off, which was clearly because I wasn't a regular at that time since I was just 24 and had just started using the express bus. Now I see him and another guy that used to drive the X16 both on the X12. That was 6 years ago, and he actually still remembers me. I've had him on the X14 as well. lol

I see people going slow at times, but I was always told that it was to prevent from being early; that they would get in trouble for being too early. Made me always wonder why they never adjust the schedules, if it actually takes quicker to get from one point to the other at a given time, then they have scheduled it.

Man those paddle reports are insane...some trips your allotted way too much time...others near none. I just drive as fast as the conditions allow...my goal is to get people there safely not quickly...just last night on the Bx36 a man went crazy on the bus cause I killed a light (it changed right as soon as I stopped) I explained that I can't run yellow's or red's it's a 40ft bus...he took down my badge number and stated he was gonna call in to complain...smh (I'm scared...NOT) I'm just doing what we were taught in safety school...I'm a probie so I need to do what I was taught...the MTA puts food on my plate not some random passenger on the bus ...as stated before...Safety, Service, Schedule those are the words I shall live by this year.

LMAO! I've been on the job since the summer and yet to have someone take down my badge number. I've got used to slowing down for the lights, and sometimes even do it in my car, which is how I know it's growing on me. But, then again, no one treats me like a new guy when they board my bus... Maybe it's because my sunglasses, leaning and no smiling swag that I bring. LMAO! Always safe though.

BTW, for anyone's thought - we all should actually be late, because according to the contract, we're supposed to be operating at 15 MPH.

If that were the case, we'd always be late. And I mean always.

Man those paddle reports are insane...some trips your allotted way too much time...others near none. I just drive as fast as the conditions allow...my goal is to get people there safely not quickly...just last night on the Bx36 a man went crazy on the bus cause I killed a light (it changed right as soon as I stopped) I explained that I can't run yellow's or red's it's a 40ft bus...he took down my badge number and stated he was gonna call in to complain...smh (I'm scared...NOT) I'm just doing what we were taught in safety school...I'm a probie so I need to do what I was taught...the MTA puts food on my plate not some random passenger on the bus ...as stated before...Safety, Service, Schedule those are the words I shall live by this year.

lol.... Good point... However, if there are no passengers, there would be no need for the (MTA). We know that won't happen, but just saying. Do you think all of the passengers are just "random folks"? lol

lol.... Good point... However, if there are no passengers, there would be no need for the (MTA). We know that won't happen, but just saying. Do you think all of the passengers are just "random folks"? lol

Not for nothing, but I think it was useless to point that out. Youngblaze basically pointed out that he's doing what was taught at Zerega, and not going to jeapordize his job because some random passenger was pissed he didn't make the light. That passenger can contact MTA all he/she wants... guess what? They'll rip it up, laugh, and it's on to the next one. #justsayin

And yes, all passengers who board my bus are random folks that I must transport safely.

Not for nothing, but I think it was useless to point that out. Youngblaze basically pointed out that he's doing what was taught at Zerega, and not going to jeapordize his job because some random passenger was pissed he didn't make the light. That passenger can contact MTA all he/she wants... guess what? They'll rip it up, laugh, and it's on to the next one. #justsayin

And yes, all passengers who board my bus are random folks that I must transport safely.

He called them "random" passengers and all I did was ask if that's how he feels about passengers in general. It's not useless to me because I didn't make the comment. I just wanted to see if he feels like it's a "us vs them" type of situation. I just think it's interesting to have this mentality and I don't think it helps give the public a good feeling in terms of relations with the (MTA). It just adds to the hostility.

For me it's just amazing to have this sort of viewpoint. I mean if I told all of my clients to basically buzz off, I would be without a job. This is why many hold a certain level of hostility because there is no sort of customer service at the (MTA). The passengers feel like random passengers. I know, I sound like I'm making a big deal out of it, but it comes off that way.

Well, they are "random" passengers. If they feel offended about being called "random", then that's on them. The truth is there -- they are random. The fact of the matter is, as long as customer service is provided when needed, and the passenger's satisfaction is furfilled with that service, there's nothing else afterwards, except for transportation safety on the operator's end.

A different mentality is given if you work for a private bus operation; unfortunately, this isn't the case -- this is New York City, where kindness can be taken for weakness, especially the lines at my depot. It's better to say as little as possible, no matter what and keep rolling; random passengers keep boarding and exiting.

Well, they are "random" passengers. If they feel offended about being called "random", then that's on them. The truth is there -- they are random. The fact of the matter is, as long as customer service is provided when needed, and the passenger's satisfaction is furfilled with that service, there's nothing else afterwards, except for transportation safety on the operator's end.

A different mentality is given if you work for a private bus operation; unfortunately, this isn't the case -- this is New York City, where kindness can be taken for weakness, especially the lines at my depot. It's better to say as little as possible, no matter what and keep rolling; random passengers keep boarding and exiting.

This is true, but I still think that there should be better customer service. Some of the comments that come out is just what folks think about the (MTA); that what they have to say doesn't matter and it creates a very frustrated hostile passenger, which in turn is why you see the incidents that occur on the buses and subways at times. It is a public service, but everyone who pays taxes is paying for the service in some way or form. I'm not saying that passengers should get royal treatment because some of them are complete @sses, but the whole "us vs. them" mentality doesn't improve relations. It just makes things worse.

He called them "random" passengers and all I did was ask if that's how he feels about passengers in general. It's not useless to me because I didn't make the comment. I just wanted to see if he feels like it's a "us vs them" type of situation. I just think it's interesting to have this mentality and I don't think it helps give the public a good feeling in terms of relations with the (MTA). It just adds to the hostility.

For me it's just amazing to have this sort of viewpoint. I mean if I told all of my clients to basically buzz off, I would be without a job. This is why many hold a certain level of hostility because there is no sort of customer service at the (MTA). The passengers feel like random passengers. I know, I sound like I'm making a big deal out of it, but it comes off that way.

To be honest, I just think the wrong wording was used by Youngblaze. I could be wrong. But in my own words here is how I stand with passengers as of now. It also may settle the dust a little bit on what I see is becoming a heated topic.

Being on the extra list, we don't get the same assignment everyday. Therefore we don't see the same people or be in the same neighborhoods on a regular basis. Now I understand that you Garibaldi is an express bus rider. It is a totally different environment. Most lines don't run very frequently. So most passengers catch the same bus everyday. Therefore they see familiar faces. You form a bond. You start to know some peoples names. Where they get on the bus, what stop they get off. After awhile you even start to remember there work schedules and vacation time. Most of the time the driver is the same unless they are off. If you do get the same driver on a regular basis that driver now has a CONNECTION with his passengers. A perfect example of this. While running along the line, the driver is running on time. But he or she notices that a regular passenger isn't there. The driver just might wait an extra min and look around for that passenger cause he or she knows that they could just being running a little late this morning. The mentality in this case is that they don't want to leave a regular behind.

Now lets take that same scenario and throw me in there as a driver. Im an extra driver. Im running on time. Now to me everything is going A-Okay. Remember Im on time. Now from the start of the run I don't know anyone that ever boarded the bus. To me everyone is just a passenger and I'm providing the service. Now because I don't know anyone or have that CONNECTION to anyone. I won't have the knowledge to wait for a regular. Cause I don't know who is who. And I think that is where the RANDOM word was thrown in.

To be honest, I just think the wrong wording was used by Youngblaze. I could be wrong. But in my own words here is how I stand with passengers as of now. It also may settle the dust a little bit on what I see is becoming a heated topic.

Being on the extra list, we don't get the same assignment everyday. Therefore we don't see the same people or be in the same neighborhoods on a regular basis. Now I understand that you Garibaldi is an express bus rider. It is a totally different environment. Most lines don't run very frequently. So most passengers catch the same bus everyday. Therefore they see familiar faces. You form a bond. You start to know some peoples names. Where they get on the bus, what stop they get off. After awhile you even start to remember there work schedules and vacation time. Most of the time the driver is the same unless they are off. If you do get the same driver on a regular basis that driver now has a CONNECTION with his passengers. A perfect example of this. While running along the line, the driver is running on time. But he or she notices that a regular passenger isn't there. The driver just might wait an extra min and look around for that passenger cause he or she knows that they could just being running a little late this morning. The mentality in this case is that they don't want to leave a regular behind.

Now lets take that same scenario and throw me in there as a driver. Im an extra driver. Im running on time. Now to me everything is going A-Okay. Remember Im on time. Now from the start of the run I don't know anyone that ever boarded the bus. To me everyone is just a passenger and I'm providing the service. Now because I don't know anyone or have that CONNECTION to anyone. I won't have the knowledge to wait for a regular. Cause I don't know who is who. And I think that is where the RANDOM word was thrown in.

Oh I know exactly where you're coming from and yes I have had express bus B/Os hold the bus for me on many occasions if they know that I'm a regular, so it is a different set up from the local bus. And no, it's not a heated discussion at all. I just had to throw that "random" comment out there because it needed to be said. I understand Youngblaze's point 100%, as my uncle is a B/O as well out of Quill and has been driving for over 20 years. His mentality is he gives respect as long as the passengers give it, but every B/O approaches things differently. As far as I know, he hasn't had any issues with anyone.

I would imagine that he may some regulars from time to time since he prefers doing the crosstown routes these days (i.e. M23, M79, etc.).

...BusTalk101....You pay,You sit,You Stop request ,You get the hell off(Repeat)

So far I've read ,Stopping for lights will get you that lucky complaint

Driving slow on the highway will get you that complaint(ME) IN TRAFFIC

Driving fast will get you written up

Not getting them to the other side 30minutes early will get you that arguement about the other op being better then you

Passing a Timepoint will get you written up or worse ....beatup for giving it to your follower

So as you can see no matter what we do to please the public ,WE are ALWAYS wrong,Thus my mean face is on with a touch of 1 handed swagg and you pay -you sit-you ring -you get da F off ....Thats all folks.

My name ain't pierre ,I aint your god damn waiter psst you all need to step with that ish cuz that bus is my ship & I'm the Capt' so follow the rules

Archived