Pesky Passenger's Problems

Hawk Operator

This thread is for Bus Operators to post their more pesky, annoying, irritating passenger's complaints or problems and how the Bus Operator resolved or handled it. NYC Bus Operators are the finest, bravest, & strongest of all the city services. I worked with the most patient, down to earth, common sense, and best story tellers I ever had the peasure to meet. NYC MTA Bus Operators come in day after day to deal with some of the most irritating and annoying folks, along with some of the best people we have ever met. The Bus Operators' perspective, keep the thread in that spirit, NYC Bus Operators' daily stories.

There's always some person running 2 blocks for the bus, just to say their broke, and can they "ride". You give them the "are you serious?" face, and let them on. Then you look in your middle mirror to see them on their cell phone, with expensive clothing on... but you're broke.

*sighs*

Another operator at my depot was telling me a few weeks ago on the B46, he saw a passenger running across the street from half a block away, on Utica Avenue, with a wheelchair in his hands, and as he's approaching, the passenger is in the stand, opens the wheelchair up and flags bus to stop. Operator says "Yo man, I just saw you running! WTF?"... and drove off. lmao!!

Im not a driver, but i've heard some crazy stories from my friends on the other side. one guy told me of a passenger on the M35 that first ran for the bus only to jump into the back door and come all the way up front to sit in the "rap seat". The guy starts to complain about why the bus is always late and why is it always so dirty, all while eating a plate of chinese food. when the bus came to the last stop, the passenger leaves his garbage on the seat and asks for a transfer...(this is why i am glad that i am on the maintenance side of the equation)

Im not a driver, but i've heard some crazy stories from my friends on the other side. one guy told me of a passenger on the M35 that first ran for the bus only to jump into the back door and come all the way up front to sit in the "rap seat". The guy starts to complain about why the bus is always late and why is it always so dirty, all while eating a plate of chinese food. when the bus came to the last stop, the passenger leaves his garbage on the seat and asks for a transfer...(this is why i am glad that i am on the maintenance side of the equation)

LOL... I was standing on a (:D train last Friday (I missed the last express bus to the city from Sheepshead Bay after hanging out down there on my day off :)) and this black guy got on with a similar tune... Gets on the train, sits down and immediately takes his trash from where ever (that he surely had ample time to throw in the garbage) then proceeds to put another bag on the floor with food in it, pulls out the food, wolfs it down and then takes that garbage and puts it under his seat with the rest of the garbage he put there earlier. I kept looking at him with utter disbelief with my music on. I'm always amazed at how nasty folks are. Other folks were looking at him as well.

I don't see the food thing as much on the local buses in the city like on the Madison Avenue lines, but it certainly happens a lot in the rougher neighborhoods I'm sure.

There's always some person running 2 blocks for the bus, just to say their broke, and can they "ride". You give them the "are you serious?" face, and let them on.

...and then get off one or 2 stops later (not that that matters, but it's like pouring salt on a wound, so to speak)...

ughk, I feel like punchin those idiots in the face.... stop wastin everyone's time, you lazy bastard.......

Blitz, he got on the back door and didn't pay, talked all that sh*t and asked for a transfer?!

That's a ego burner for me. So fukk you, and ask another operator. lmao!

I got off a B35 coming home on saturday where dude did that (sans the sh*t talkin part).... it's becoming more common.... most the drivers where I've been on buses where that's happened, just give them the transfer.... people got a lotta nerve....

gotta give props to this one lil sista (the b/o) on the B103 @ the junction... both her & the perp were west indian... she wasn't backin down from ole dude either.... homeboy was like 6'6" 250-260-ish.... them women fiesty like that anyway.....

Result - He got off the bus (with no transfer, I might add) !!

---------------------------------------------

Anyway, Continue on with the theme of the thread though....

I also would like to read things from a b/o's perspective.....

I think most operators who operate the low-floor buses would agree that many passengers will not move to the rear of the bus (pass the back doors, up the stairs), until you aggressively tell everyone to move in, or the bus won't move. I had this happen on the B46 about a month ago as an LTD, where I was about 20 minutes down, but it was only because I was packed and the only Limited to come down at the time (not sure what happened with the others, as the rest were local), and of course everyone wants to jackhammer the LTD to get where they gotta go. This happened at every LTD stop til Fulton Street (Williamsburg Bridge-bound).

*smh*

I think most operators who operate the low-floor buses would agree that many passengers will not move to the rear of the bus (pass the back doors, up the stairs), until you aggressively tell everyone to move in, or the bus won't move. I had this happen on the B46 about a month ago as an LTD, where I was about 20 minutes down, but it was only because I was packed and the only Limited to come down at the time (not sure what happened with the others, as the rest were local), and of course everyone wants to jackhammer the LTD to get where they gotta go. This happened at every LTD stop til Fulton Street (Williamsburg Bridge-bound).

*smh*

I think there are a few reasons for that. Depending on how the back of the bus is configured, it can be very difficult to get out from that back area once you go back there if the bus gets crowded because there is such a lack of space in the aisles on those low floor buses. :D I was going somewhere on Madison Avenue (M4) I believe and the bus became quite crowded, and this middle aged white guy that was around my height, but a lot wider :eek:... I called myself trying to get around him to get off and I literally almost got stuck in the aisle there. I kept telling him to move and the poor guy was smashed into one of the poles because there was just no aisle room for me and him together. It was horrible. The configuration of the newer buses allow a bit more aisle room. Sure there are less seats but the benefit is that the buses can move quicker since folks can get off easier now. My commute on the local buses generally isn't that long anyway, so I don't mind standing.

Another issue with the back area is if you've got a bus with older folks, I don't think they feel comfortable climbing up those steps and going to the back. Coming down those steps can be tricky when the bus is in motion and you're trying to move around people in that aisle even for me and I'm a young agile guy, so I can imagine how tough it would be for older folks.

There's also the issue of less clearing space back there so if the bus is hitting bumps, you feel like you're going to hit your head if you're tall like me. Just some of my personal observations... :)

One night driving the Q44 local as im leaving the stop at union st/35ave, i notice a man across the street. He gives that "damn i just missed the bus" look. I get to the next block 34th ave and im at a red light. Next thing I know, the guy is at the door so I wave him off. He asks wheres the next stop so I point forward. The next stop was at 33rd ave a block away. I wasnt gonna go there and wait for him but somebody was getting off so I had to stop. I glance at the mirror and dont see him running so I leave the stop. As im pulling out an suv comes speeding by, blowing his horn, and goes by on the other side of the yellow line in order to pass me. He stops in the bus stop at Bayside ave and the guy who was trying to get my bus gets out looking angry. Im thinking damn this is gonna be trouble. He gets on and says "you couldnt wait 2 minutes?" I reply "the bus doesnt wait for anybody". He caught me off guard with "if it was your mother you would have waited". I didnt have a comeback for that one and was speachless". He replied "yeah I thought so", paid his fare and sat down. So basically this guy chased me down 4 blocks on foot and by vehicle in order to catch the bus. He couldnt wait 10 min for the next one.

There's always some person running 2 blocks for the bus, just to say their broke, and can they "ride". You give them the "are you serious?" face, and let them on. Then you look in your middle mirror to see them on their cell phone, with expensive clothing on... but you're broke.

*sighs*

Another operator at my depot was telling me a few weeks ago on the B46, he saw a passenger running across the street from half a block away, on Utica Avenue, with a wheelchair in his hands, and as he's approaching, the passenger is in the stand, opens the wheelchair up and flags bus to stop. Operator says "Yo man, I just saw you running! WTF?"... and drove off. lmao!!

I'm not a driver but as a rider, it's annoying when people run for the bus and then get on and have no money on their metrocard.

There was this guy on the N6 that used to try to get on in a wheel chair when he can walk. It think he does it to get a seat. Although he's somewhat heavy maybe he can't stand for long periods of time.

Blitz, he got on the back door and didn't pay, talked all that sh*t and asked for a transfer?!

That's a ego burner for me. So fukk you, and ask another operator. lmao!

If I was a driver I would have at least commented to the effect of "you're the reason why the buses are dirty"

I've seen too many times where people get on the bus, eat their food and leave it on the seat, under the seat or behind the seat(window sill). Ugh.

I think there are a few reasons for that. Depending on how the back of the bus is configured, it can be very difficult to get out from that back area once you go back there if the bus gets crowded because there is such a lack of space in the aisles on those low floor buses. :D I was going somewhere on Madison Avenue (M4) I believe and the bus became quite crowded, and this middle aged white guy that was around my height, but a lot wider :eek:... I called myself trying to get around him to get off and I literally almost got stuck in the aisle there. I kept telling him to move and the poor guy was smashed into one of the poles because there was just no aisle room for me and him together. It was horrible. The configuration of the newer buses allow a bit more aisle room. Sure there are less seats but the benefit is that the buses can move quicker since folks can get off easier now. My commute on the local buses generally isn't that long anyway, so I don't mind standing.

Another issue with the back area is if you've got a bus with older folks, I don't think they feel comfortable climbing up those steps and going to the back. Coming down those steps can be tricky when the bus is in motion and you're trying to move around people in that aisle even for me and I'm a young agile guy, so I can imagine how tough it would be for older folks.

There's also the issue of less clearing space back there so if the bus is hitting bumps, you feel like you're going to hit your head if you're tall like me. Just some of my personal observations... :)

I respect your observations, but I know all the reasons why people don't want to move back there. The fact of the matter is, you must move in when the bus starts to get crowded. If you want to exit and take a less-crowded bus, then be my guest. The low-floors we have at Flatbush are the NGs, so the seating configuration is made to accommodate the passengers standing. Everyone wants to crowd the back door so they can push to get off. It's just one of the things you have to deal with on a crowded bus, and a fare of $2.25.

Deal with it. Or take a cab. lol

Another issue I have: folks crowding the front area with PLENTY of room in the rear, but want to hover over the operator. Fukk that, move in. They slow down the operation of the bus when the folks coming in pay their fare, but gotta work their way through the idiots who don't want to move. They only move when the operator says something though.

One night driving the Q44 local as im leaving the stop at union st/35ave, i notice a man across the street. He gives that "damn i just missed the bus" look. I get to the next block 34th ave and im at a red light. Next thing I know, the guy is at the door so I wave him off. He asks wheres the next stop so I point forward. The next stop was at 33rd ave a block away. I wasnt gonna go there and wait for him but somebody was getting off so I had to stop. I glance at the mirror and dont see him running so I leave the stop. As im pulling out an suv comes speeding by, blowing his horn, and goes by on the other side of the yellow line in order to pass me. He stops in the bus stop at Bayside ave and the guy who was trying to get my bus gets out looking angry. Im thinking damn this is gonna be trouble. He gets on and says "you couldnt wait 2 minutes?" I reply "the bus doesnt wait for anybody". He caught me off guard with "if it was your mother you would have waited". I didnt have a comeback for that one and was speachless". He replied "yeah I thought so", paid his fare and sat down. So basically this guy chased me down 4 blocks on foot and by vehicle in order to catch the bus. He couldnt wait 10 min for the next one.

LMAO! That's happened plenty of times where I leave people, they run to the next stop, but they don't say anything to me.. Maybe it's because of the swag I'm known for: no smiling, and look like a straight thug in the seat, but always professional. lmao!

They pick and choose who they wanna snap at.

I'm not one of them.

And for those who are in cars and wanna chase and try to block the bus in at a stop so they can catch the bus -- as soon as the car leaves and the person who got out and flagging me to open the door, I pull off. I don't wait for anyone who's gonna risk me having an accident cause you need to catch the bus. #OnToTheNextOne

LMAO! That's happened plenty of times where I leave people, they run to the next stop, but they don't say anything to me.. Maybe it's because of the swag I'm known for: no smiling, and look like a straight thug in the seat, but always professional. lmao!

They pick and choose who they wanna snap at.

I'm not one of them.

And for those who are in cars and wanna chase and try to block the bus in at a stop so they can catch the bus -- as soon as the car leaves and the person who got out and flagging me to open the door, I pull off. I don't wait for anyone who's gonna risk me having an accident cause you need to catch the bus. #OnToTheNextOne

One night on the Q44 as im about to close the door, a car pulls up a few feet in front of me and 2 ppl get out. I start to pull out but the car is still in front of me. Guy knocks on the door and i refuse to open it. I honk at the car and i wouldnt move. People on the bus are yelling at me to let them on but i ignore it. I cut the wheel all the way and go around the car across the yellow line as soon as oncomming traffic passes. I was surprise the car didnt chase me down

Those "rear of the bus" stories are big hints to the (MTA) that this seating experiment should have obvious results. Less people in a bus = less fare revenue for hte (MTA) = no bueno. I hated it when I had to take the Q77 down to Merrick and it was full of HS kids, but that RTS was well packed and there was only room in the back for one or two people...

Never mind when I had to take the N16 on NGs immediately after classes ended and I had to live with Ms. "my vital organs are in this pole four inches away from the B/O so I block everyone else" and Andre the Giant with BO breathing down my throat.

*sighs*

Usually I don't mind farebeaters, but it's cases like those two that would piss even me off. I remember one time a guy came onto the S44 in sweatpants (like he just got out of bed or something) and then just sat down with an iPod in his ears and took out his cell phone and started texting. I mean, if you're going to farebeat, have a little modesty.

And yeah, the ones that jump on just to go 2 or 3 stops piss me off too (see VG8, I don't condone all farebeating. :D )

And Blitz, what do you mean by "rap seat"?

*smh*

How many locals did you pass? With all the people packing into the bus, I doubt they ended up saving themselves much time over the local (especially those who were waiting from the very beginning). The problem is that you have people looking for a faster ride, and then you actually have those going past Malcolm X Blvd/DeKalb Avenue who actually need the limited because the local doesn't go past there.

And that's definitely one of my pet peeves as well. You'll tell them to move back, and then they'll just start to crowd by the back door. It's only after you tell them 3 or 4 times that they'll actually climb those two stairs.

I think there are a few reasons for that. Depending on how the back of the bus is configured, it can be very difficult to get out from that back area once you go back there if the bus gets crowded because there is such a lack of space in the aisles on those low floor buses. :( I was going somewhere on Madison Avenue (M4) I believe and the bus became quite crowded, and this middle aged white guy that was around my height, but a lot wider :eek:... I called myself trying to get around him to get off and I literally almost got stuck in the aisle there. I kept telling him to move and the poor guy was smashed into one of the poles because there was just no aisle room for me and him together. It was horrible. The configuration of the newer buses allow a bit more aisle room. Sure there are less seats but the benefit is that the buses can move quicker since folks can get off easier now. My commute on the local buses generally isn't that long anyway, so I don't mind standing.

The guy could've just stepped out and then stepped back in. That's what I always do when I see the bus is getting crowded. It's a lot faster than having people push past me.

As for the old people comment, I highly doubt you're going to find a bus packed with senior citizens. There's always young people on the bus who are perfectly capable of moving back.

The "rap seat" is the seat in front of all high floor local buses right across from the driver. It's called the "rap seat because almost everyone that chooses to sit there usually ends up talking the drivers ear off.

Most likely the seat across from the operator, which a person sits in so s/he can "rap" (talk to) the operator.

That would be it... Took me a second to think about it but then I thought about the express bus with the big mouth yentas always sitting in the front to yap with the B/O.

The guy could've just stepped out and then stepped back in. That's what I always do when I see the bus is getting crowded. It's a lot faster than having people push past me.

As for the old people comment, I highly doubt you're going to find a bus packed with senior citizens. There's always young people on the bus who are perfectly capable of moving back.

Could've stepped out where?? He was in the narrow aisle... There was no where for him to step but to the side as best as he could. Ugh, how many lines how you rode to make that statement? You like making comments like that and I have no idea what you base it on...

Madison Avenue is known to have older folks riding, many of them are considered senior citizens too, so yeah it's very possible to see a bus where they're the majority. That was the case when I took the M4 a little while ago going up Madison.

Reminds me of those idiots on the (M34) and (M34A) select buses. There is always a passenger bothering the B/O because he didn't wait for him to get his ticket out of the machine.

Most likely the seat across from the operator, which a person sits in so s/he can "rap" (talk to) the operator.

The "rap seat" is the seat in front of all high floor local buses right across from the driver. It's called the "rap seat because almost everyone that chooses to sit there usually ends up talking the drivers ear off.

That would be it... Took me a second to think about it but then I thought about the express bus with the big mouth yentas always sitting in the front to yap with the B/O.

I figured it was one of the groups of seats where the elderly and handicapped sit (because he said "He came up to the rap seat"), but I wasn't sure whether it was the one directly behind the driver or the one across from the B/O.

Thanks guys.

Could've stepped out where?? He was in the narrow aisle... There was no where for him to step but to the side as best as he could. Ugh, how many lines how you rode to make that statement? You like making comments like that and I have no idea what you base it on...

Madison Avenue is known to have older folks riding, many of them are considered senior citizens too, so yeah it's very possible to see a bus where they're the majority. That was the case when I took the M4 a little while ago going up Madison.

Maybe a diagram would help? :P

If the people crowding by the back door had stepped into the street, there would've been room for the guy to move without getting pushed into the pole, and you wouldn't have had to squeeze by him.

And I've rode every line on SI at least once (except the S55. Haven't gotten around to it in the 7 years I've been here. :( ), but the only ones where I regularly see crowds where I have to get off and get back on are the S46/S96, S48/S98, and S53 (and occasionally the S44 and maybe a couple of times on the S62)

Could've sworn this was a thread for Bus Operators...

Lol

Last I checked, anybody can post on any forum. :P

Man talk about these wanna be bus ops in here :)JABRONI :P

Well I'm real so allow me to kick the science:tup:

No matter what stop I get to ,There's always somebody that doesnt have the damn fare ready :mad: That pisses me of cuz I'm loading and loading but your like the 43 person and you mean to tell me you cant find your card:mad:.

How about making great time to that EXPRESS destination and you get A ....The other guy drops me across the street ahhh can you pull up :mad:....No ya honky now get off before I cut some bacon of your back(I never got a thankyou either).:tdown:bitchh

A great fellow op that I know said something to me I never ever forgot and for those of you that knows about North Shore Towers well this buddy O mine;) would enter the property and you all know we are suppost to make our A.D.A so he yells out ....PROJECT BUILDING NO.1:):)PJ no.2 &no3....and till this day I still lmao cuz them people are something else.....here's to you buddy :tup::tup::tup:

...and then get off one or 2 stops later (not that that matters, but it's like pouring salt on a wound, so to speak)...

ughk, I feel like punchin those idiots in the face.... stop wastin everyone's time, you lazy bastard.......

I got off a B35 coming home on saturday where dude did that (sans the sh*t talkin part).... it's becoming more common.... most the drivers where I've been on buses where that's happened, just give them the transfer.... people got a lotta nerve....

gotta give props to this one lil sista (the b/o) on the B103 @ the junction... both her & the perp were west indian... she wasn't backin down from ole dude either.... homeboy was like 6'6" 250-260-ish.... them women fiesty like that anyway.....

Result - He got off the bus (with no transfer, I might add) !!

---------------------------------------------

Anyway, Continue on with the theme of the thread though....

I also would like to read things from a b/o's perspective.....

If I were a B/O I would just lie and say transfer machine is broken!!!!!!!

Archived