New York City Subway Route Riddles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer is the JFK Express.

It had a song in TV commercials, "Take The Train To The Plane" repeated as part of the jingle.

In its last year, the JFK Express traveled along the 63rd Street tunnel to Queens.

So the JFK Express traveled from "Queens" to "Queens", while of course traveling through Manhattan and Brooklyn

Mike

It had a song in TV commercials, "Take The Train To The Plane" repeated as part of the jingle.

In its last year, the JFK Express traveled along the 63rd Street tunnel to Queens.

So the JFK Express traveled from "Queens" to "Queens", while of course traveling through Manhattan and Brooklyn

Mike

that is correct. your turn Mike

that is correct. your turn Mike

Im am not here to post a new riddle.

I have recently thought to do a riddles jeapordy, thought if anyone was interested. PM me for more info or if you want to participate. I first want to see how much demand there will be first on the bus riddles thread, so visit that page if you want to participate in the bus riddles jeapordy for more info

I have modified my rule to the following

*Up to twoguesses per member.

Other rules are unchanged.

Thank You. The Riddles Thread may now resume

Mike

The big question:

Pass or go?

Well since 24 hours passed, lets keep the thread rolling...

I was a member of the Blues Brothers for quite some time before getting fired. Although I'm not around anymore, I still make an occasional appearance once in a while under a different name

Who am I?

Poor, poor pitiful me

I used to be normal

I used to be orange

At least Linda Ronstadt liked me

Who am I?

-----------

The answer is the EE, which ran during the "normal hours" in the 1970's. The EE route was completely local, running from 71st Avenue-Forest Hills to Whitehall Street, with some rush hour trains starting/end at Canal Street. The "normal hours" were 6am to 8pm, Mondays to Fridays. The map and route color of the line was orange, and the RR train's map and route color was green. The EE was paired with two "green routes" - the RR in Manhattan, and the GG along Queens Blvd, then the GG train ran at all times to/from 71st Avenue-Forest Hills and Smith/9th Street.

During the fiscal crisis the EE route was eliminated and replaced by the N-train along the Queens Blvd segment. This was the beginning of the N-train becoming a local along the Manhattan Broadway segment. During the am rush hours - N-trains from Brooklyn were express in Manhattan - replicating the experience of its riders, while at the same time N-trains coming from Queens were local in Manhattan, duplicating the experience of former EE-train riders. During the evening rush hours, N-trains to Brooklyn were express in Manhattan, while Queens bound N-trains were local in Manhattan. There was also a limited rush hours only version of the N-train that was all local traveling to/from Whitehall Street. The N-train traveled to/from 71st Avenue-Forest Hills for 10 years before being replaced by the current R-train.

How does Linda Ronstadt figure into this?

Simple in the 1970's, after the EE was eliminated, she had a hit record called Poor Poor Pitiful Me. This record remained on the music hit charts for several weeks in NYC and across the country. This is one of few songs to actually name a subway line. Below are the lyrics.

Artist: Ronstadt Linda

Song: Poor Poor Pififul Me

Album: The Very Best of Linda Ronstadt

Well I lay my head on the railroad track

Waiting on the Double E

But the train don't run by here no more

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

Oh these boys won't let me be

Lord have mercy on me

Woe woe is me

Well I met a man out in Hollywood

Now I ain't naming names

Well he really worked me over good

Just like Jesse James

Yes he really worked me over good

He was a credit to his gender

Put me through some changes Lord

Sort of like a Waring blender

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

Lord have mercy on me

Woe woe is me

Well I met a boy in the Vieux Carres

Down in Yokohama

He picked me up and he threw me down

He said "Please don't hurt me Mama"

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

Lord have mercy on me

Woe woe is me

Poor poor poor me

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor poor me

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor poor me

Poor poor pitiful me

Well since 24 hours passed, lets keep the thread rolling...

I was a member of the Blues Brothers for quite some time before getting fired. Although I'm not around anymore, I still make an occasional appearance once in a while under a different name

Who am I?

The 70(A)?

If right, I will go.

Archived