Thinking about moving to Rockaway

OA Pest

I wouldn't move there unless you plan on taking the LIRR to far rock all of the time. Otherwise you will be late and stranded or stuck on a train fairly often. There is a revolving bridge that the A train travels over and when it opens to let the water traffic pass, it usually gets stuck open causing major delays.

I wouldn't move there unless you plan on taking the LIRR to far rock all of the time. Otherwise you will be late and stranded or stuck on a train fairly often. There is a revolving bridge that the A train travels over and when it opens to let the water traffic pass, it usually gets stuck open causing major delays.

That's a bit of an exaggeration there - I don't think it's gotten stuck for a year or more.

Seems pretty decent. Seems like a big Jewish neighborhood. If I don't want to walk I can take a bus to the A train?

I would make sure you visit the place at different times of the day, walk around and get a real feel for the place before you move in, Far Rockaway is considered one of the roughest parts of Queens, while that building might be decent you are surrounded by places like Edgemere, and far Rockaway proper. Yea there is a small hasidic community down there but there isn't enough of them to make the neighborhood safer. The ones that are still there are the ones that couldn't afford to move to the nearby five towns area, and they keep the various synagogues going that date back to when the area had a much larger jewish population.

I would make sure you visit the place at different times of the day, walk around and get a real feel for the place before you move in, Far Rockaway is considered one of the roughest parts of Queens, while that building might be decent you are surrounded by places like Edgemere, and far Rockaway proper. Yea there is a small hasidic community down there but there isn't enough of them to make the neighborhood safer. The ones that are still there are the ones that couldn't afford to move to the nearby five towns area, and they keep the various synagogues going that date back to when the area had a much larger jewish population.

lol... You make some good points... When I was looking for an apartment in Riverdale, I had to be very careful to read the locations. One place was actually in Norwood and they had the audacity to list it as being in the Riverdale vicinity. :) They were interested in getting me to rent because I'm a single young working professional with good credit and income and apparently the apartment building is well kept, but still. I believe Norwood has some Irish and such in certain parts but they've been moving out and from my understanding, some parts are shady and I've never been there before, so I wrote back and told them that I am not interested in anything unless it's in Riverdale, which is the safest area up there. LOL The area I'm in I've been to a few times and felt very comfortable walking around and such by Johnson Avenue, plus this IT guy that works with another company on my floor lives there and he says the area is very nice, so it made accepting an apartment there very easy, but still it's a good idea to walk around during different times of the day and such to see what happens in the building.

I would also pay attention to the income requirements and so on in order to get into the apartment. If they're lax with that, it may mean that they let anyone move in and that's never good. :eek:

Norwood I hear is going downhill, the Subway stop up there is one of the more dirtier and run down stations

lol... Well when the economy picked up in Ireland back years ago and the turmoil between Northern Ireland and Ireland cooled down a bit, most of the Irish folks there moved back to Ireland or they picked up and moved to Woodlawn or left the Bronx all together, so white flight appeared to be happening years ago. That isn't to say that a minority neighborhood can't be safe, but I can't think of too many off of the top of my head that are. There's a few places in Queens that are supposedly safe and economically viable, but I've never been to those area.

Talking about Rockaway though, I always thought all of the Rockaways were crappy. At least that was the impression I got because I know there are some projects down there somewhere. So are there like pockets that are good or what?? :confused:

lol... Well when the economy picked up in Ireland back years ago and the turmoil between Northern Ireland and Ireland cooled down a bit, most of the Irish folks there moved back to Ireland or they picked up and moved to Woodlawn or left the Bronx all together, so white flight appeared to be happening years ago. That isn't to say that a minority neighborhood can't be safe, but I can't think of too many off of the top of my head that are. There's a few places in Queens that are supposedly safe and economically viable, but I've never been to those area.

Talking about Rockaway though, I always thought all of the Rockaways were crappy. At least that was the impression I got because I know there are some projects down there somewhere. So are there like pockets that are good or what?? :confused:

Actually while "Far Rockaway" and other communities of eastern half of that island/pensiula is majority 'minority' and has it's issues, the western half of Rockaway from Rockaway Park to Breezy Point is much affluent and has a large Irish and Italian population.

So VG8 don't always jump to conclusions.

- IMO, Norwood is just as overrated as Sunset Park is.... it isn't just the subway station that makes norwood a neighborhood on the decline, so to speak....

- "Far Rockaway" & "the Rockaways" are not interchangable... that would be like me sittin here calling Brooklyn heights - Brooklyn.... or Queens village - Queens....

I don't know of any pockets within Far rockaway that would be considered good by most people.....

- IMO, Norwood is just as overrated as Sunset Park is.... it isn't just the subway station that makes norwood a neighborhood on the decline, so to speak....

- "Far Rockaway" & "the Rockaways" are not interchangable... that would be like me sittin here calling Brooklyn heights - Brooklyn.... or Queens village - Queens....

I don't know of any pockets within Far rockaway that would be considered good by most people.....

LOL... I never knew Sunset Park was great either. I mean it's still a dump for the most part... Way too industrial and too many XXX shops too. The Gowanus really puts the seal on that neighborhood. Sad but true. I always found it funny that the minute you get past Sunset Park and get to Bay Ridge that the whole landscape changes. Kind of like getting past Kingsbridge and Marble Hill and making it to Riverdale... Far more green and no more grit and noise.

As for Far Rockaway versus the Rockaways, that's why I asked. So basically it's just the parts by the projects that are crappy then...

Actually while "Far Rockaway" and other communities of eastern half of that island/pensiula is majority 'minority' and has it's issues, the western half of Rockaway from Rockaway Park to Breezy Point is much affluent and has a large Irish and Italian population.

So VG8 don't always jump to conclusions.

Well that's why I asked... I mean I couldn't see myself having a long commute to move to a so-so area. I mean in Riverdale we're sort of separated from the rest of the Bronx by the park and the hills so we can keep away from the riff raff, plus it's pricey to live there so that helps keep the area nice as well. Also, it seems like the transportation stinks out there too. The express buses don't seem to run that long over there.

So basically it's just the parts by the projects that are crappy then...

Well, everything b/w the subway station on up to the redfern houses (projects), at the very least.... Hell, I'll even go as far south as those apartments down there on seagirt, where the N31/32 & the Q113 end at.... those apt's are a perfect example of "a wolf in sheep's clothing"... not as peaceful as it looks out there....

Don't know if you remember that (news) story about dollar van drivers (allegedly) taking down Q113 bus signs in an attempt to steal more pax.... smh.... but that took place down in far rockaway...

Well, everything b/w the subway station on up to the redfern houses (projects), at the very least.... Hell, I'll even go as far south as those apartments down there on seagirt, where the N31/32 & the Q113 end at.... those apt's are a perfect example of "a wolf in sheep's clothing"... not as peaceful as it looks out there....

Don't know if you remember that (news) story about dollar van drivers (allegedly) taking down Q113 bus signs in an attempt to steal more pax.... smh.... but that took place down in far rockaway...

LOL...

I don't know of any place, either. Far Rockaway, just by its neighborhood landscape pics, scares the daylights out of me. Combine that with the projects in the neighborhood and nearby areas in Bayswater and Edgemere scream "stay away."

And Norwood was okay back in the 1990s. My dad used to live there near the playground before leaving in the mid-1990s, and it wasn't that bad. Nowadays, I don't know how good a place it is now. The passing-by of the area while on the TTMG Bronx Focus Trip two summers ago didn't give me a full-fledged opinion on the neighborhood.

If anything, I'd recommend a better place to live such as Rockaway PARK, which on the western peninsula of the Rockaways. I heard it's much better.

Well that's why I asked... I mean I couldn't see myself having a long commute to move to a so-so area. I mean in Riverdale we're sort of separated from the rest of the Bronx by the park and the hills so we can keep away from the riff raff, plus it's pricey to live there so that helps keep the area nice as well. Also, it seems like the transportation stinks out there too. The express buses don't seem to run that long over there.

Yeah, they just have the QM16/17, which run rush hours only. Off-peak, you're stuck with the (A), or maybe the LIRR if you can get to it (or the Q113 to Jamaica)

According to the Census, the "Whitest" tract in Norwood was 14% White.

In any case, if you want to include Asians as minorities, there are a whole bunch of areas in Northeast Queens that are "safe" minority neighborhoods. In any case, "safe" is a subjective term, and you appear to have very high standards of what constitutes "safe".

As far as the Rockaways, Rockaway Park and all points westward are all fine. For points east of there, it's mostly run-down, probably with a few decent pockets here and there (probably closer to the Nassau border)

Just to be clear, VG8, he's referring to Far Rockaway.

Yeah, they just have the QM16/17, which run rush hours only. Off-peak, you're stuck with the (A), or maybe the LIRR if you can get to it (or the Q113 to Jamaica).

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The (MTA) can do better than that. I'm wondering... Why does MetroNorth have Rail link buses (at least in Riverdale) but not the LIRR?? :confused:

According to the Census, the "Whitest" tract in Norwood was 14% White.

In any case, if you want to include Asians as minorities, there are a whole bunch of areas in Northeast Queens that are "safe" minority neighborhoods. In any case, "safe" is a subjective term, and you appear to have very high standards of what constitutes "safe".

I thought that was pretty clear already.... :cool:

As far as the Rockaways, Rockaway Park and all points westward are all fine. For points east of there, it's mostly run-down, probably with a few decent pockets here and there (probably closer to the Nassau border)

lol... Such a waste of space by the beach... :P

I follow.

1) Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The (MTA) can do better than that. I'm wondering... Why does MetroNorth have Rail link buses (at least in Riverdale) but not the LIRR?? :confused:

2) I thought that was pretty clear already.... :cool:

3) lol... Such a waste of space by the beach... ;)

1) The QM16/17 don't really get a whole lot of ridership, so I can understand them not wanting to run them off-peak, but extending the QM15 to that area would definitely help those riders out (it makes all stops along Woodhaven Blvd, but at least the riders have the option of a comfortable ride, even if it's longer than the subway)

2) I dunno. I mean to me, some of the areas you're describing are exactly like Sheepshead Bay, except more diverse. Like I said in the other thread, I've walked around Forest Avenue/South Avenue at 23:00 and never had a problem, and south of Forest Avenue is not an area that's in the news a lot for crime.

You judging that area based off what you see along Forest Avenue is like judging Westerleigh off what you see along Forest Avenue: You're not going to get an accurate picture by looking just off the main street.

3) If you notice, there are actually a lot of run-down areas along the waterfront. Coney Island, Sunset Park, Red Hook, Astoria (the western section), Hunts Point, Soundview, etc. Part of it has to do with industry wanting to locate by the water (aside from Coney Island and maybe Soundview, all of those areas have a lot of industry), and back in the 1950s, when they were doing these projects for some reason they felt waterfront areas were less desirable.

But then again, there are plenty of very nice areas along the waterfront as well, but a lot of them are more suburban in character (though of course, many of them would be considered urban if placed elsewhere in the country).

I thought I was clear with that....

If you notice, there are actually a lot of run-down areas along the waterfront

you aint kiddin.... I'll just focus more on the residential type of areas near waterfronts, moreso the ones where industries/abandoned bldg's are situated around the waterfront....

throw sea gate in that mix as well..... as well as gerritsen beach (yes, Via), howard beach (east)/hamilton beach, beach channel.... areas you couldn't pay me to live at, if I wanted to reside near water.... ravaged by water damage.... these areas are drabby & disgusting - Lookin like somethin straight out of a popeye the sailor man cartoon..... toot toot !

Notice when they talk (rave) about howard beach, it's always the parts at & west of cross bay blvd.....

I don't know of any place, either. Far Rockaway, just by its neighborhood landscape pics, scares the daylights out of me. Combine that with the projects in the neighborhood and nearby areas in Bayswater and Edgemere scream "stay away."

If anything, I'd recommend a better place to live such as Rockaway PARK, which on the western peninsula of the Rockaways. I heard it's much better.

Rockaway Park (and points west) is a hell of a lot more serene than Far Rockaway.... It has a suburban feel to it; B 116th to me resembles a "downtown" area much like a number of smaller LI towns....

I only came in this thread b/c upon reading, I started gettin the sense that "the rockaways" were being judged solely on the dump that far rockaway is....

They're building up out in the Rockaways in general.... but the parts east of the wye (especially once you pan past Arverne; past the B. 60's) has ways to go.....

throw sea gate in that mix as well..... as well as gerritsen beach (yes, Via), howard beach (east)/hamilton beach, beach channel.... areas you couldn't pay me to live at, if I wanted to reside near water.... ravaged by water damage.... these areas are drabby & disgusting - Lookin like somethin straight out of a popeye the sailor man cartoon..... toot toot !

LOL... I'm not offended at all about the comment on Gerritsen Beach. The more modern Gerritsen Beach is okay and then older part is not the easiest on the eye, but I've always liked Gerritsen Beach. It's very representative of what I come from which is a hard working, middle class neighborhood which is safe and family oriented. Small, close knit community, mainly Irish, Italian & German folks that just want a safe community to come home to. Going to Sheepshead Bay H.S., many of my friends lived in Gerritsen Beach and since Sheepshead Bay is skip and a hop away we hung out a lot by the bay and occasionally I'd go over to visit them in Gerritsen Beach.

throw sea gate in that mix as well
I'm actually more concerned about Coney Island around the amusement parks (and on Surf Avenue, around the Stillwell Avenue station). The last I went to Coney Island was to visit Astroland before it closed. The neighborhood looked like a nuke went off. Buildings were very rundown. Graffiti smeared all over the closed buildings. And don't get me started on the projects! I don't know what Coney Island looks like now, but I'm not confident. Especially CI west of Keyspan Park.

I'm actually more concerned about Coney Island around the amusement parks (and on Surf Avenue, around the Stillwell Avenue station). The last I went to Coney Island was to visit Astroland before it closed. The neighborhood looked like a nuke went off. Buildings were very rundown. Graffiti smeared all over the closed buildings. And don't get me started on the projects! I don't know what Coney Island looks like now, but I'm not confident. Especially CI west of Keyspan Park.

Lol.

I have a cousin who thinks Far Rockaway is one of the best places to live, smh of course he's a stone idiot. Last time I been out there was when he first move there. But then again he grew up in Brownsville.....

Far Rock. ain't a place IMHO to live, hell if I had a choice between there and Flatbush, I'd pick Flatbush.

Well I used to go down by Coney Island on the weekends on the X28 before the lovely (MTA) slashed weekend service. :P It was my alternative to the BM3 when I needed express bus service to get to my barber in Sheepshead Bay. Coney Island is still up and coming, BUT all of the cops walking about made me feel somewhat safe. However, the place is still a dump and quite frankly I would not want to be stuck over there after light hours (I'm particularly talking the area past the ballpark and such). Granted, when I lived in Midwood, I would hop on the (Q) train by the Avenue M stop and go down for a walk on the boardwalk or whatever or a bite to eat on nice nights, but not past the amusement park part. I had to wait for the X28 coming back from the barber one time in Sheepshead Bay (took the (Q) over to Coney Island) and those projects across the street there on Surf Ave scream ghetto. :eek:

However, eventually Coney Island will become somewhat decent. It's becoming gentrified, albeit slowly and aside from that you have too many tourists coming down there so they're going to flood the place w/cops to make sure that they keep the immediate area safe.

Archived