2012 Orion VII EPA10 CNG Discussion - Nassau Inter-County Express (Nice)

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got to see one in service on the N22 earlier tonight. Too bad I was too far back from Hillside Avenue to see what number it was. I thought something was odd about the side sign and then noticed how low the "n22" was on the rear...

It's so awkward isn't it? Gonna take some getting used to.

It's like every time PinePower enlightens us with something one of his buddy retired or ex nice bus drivers tells him the universe quickly shows us proof that he had to open up wide and put his foot in his mouth. PinePower, like I told you before, don't believe everything you hear.

Exactly. The operative phrase is 'consider the source'. Some drivers or mechanics may have a reliable source within the organization to get the scoop on what really is going on, but many times all they are repeating is workplace gossip. In my own job, I've had a few instances when operations employees told me something that 'the company' supposedly planned to do and swore it was true when I knew for a fact that they were completely misinformed and were wrong.

As long as the ride is just like last year's order of NGs I won't mind. What I wonder is why the newest buses are always deployed on routes that run into the city.

Having been on these, they ride much better than the previous 1800s.

The new buses are being sent out to the far east... Spotted 1843 on the n19 this evening.

Also saw one on the n70 on Thursday.

Anything beats that particular order. That one week of June it was well over 85 and humid I was on an N43 bound for Hempstead (this was before NICE realized that NCC is relatively empty during the summer and decided the extension was only effective during the fall and spring semesters) the A/C didn't work and the bus operator was new.... I loved it over the air conditioned ride it that NG I had to ride after. Even something as minor as LIRR crossings or sewer grates caused the entire thing to shake. The rear was mildly better - if the bus took a huge bump your legs would hit the back of the seat in front of you.

Anything beats that particular order. That one week of June it was well over 85 and humid I was on an N43 bound for Hempstead (this was before NICE realized that NCC is relatively empty during the summer and decided the extension was only effective during the fall and spring semesters) the A/C didn't work and the bus operator was new.... I loved it over the air conditioned ride it that NG I had to ride after. Even something as minor as LIRR crossings or sewer grates caused the entire thing to shake. The rear was mildly better - if the bus took a huge bump your legs would hit the back of the seat in front of you.

The 1700s ride similar to Gillig Phantoms, actually I think they may be worse. Hopefully something can be done long term with the suspension since I dont see those things lasting another 10 years.

Keep in mind these buses Oron buses are a product of Daimler, freighter trucks by Daimler are lovingly referred to as freight shakers when it comes to buses the freight is people. :( Trucking companties spend a little extra to give drivers a truck that won't shake the hell out of them but when it comes to transit the only thing that matters is who offers the lower price in response to the RFP.

I've been on some Orion's that've thrown my back out! :(:(

Hound and a crapload of LIB veterans (we're talking before the first Orion V was even built) complained about the old Phantoms all the time. The diesel Orion Vs, on the other hand, were still running in 2008!

And honestly, I know Orion was on hard times but they couldn't have kept the destination sign in the middle like NJT's NABIs with the number being on the upper left like it is on the NGs?

Hound and a crapload of LIB veterans (we're talking before the first Orion V was even built) complained about the old Phantoms all the time. The diesel Orion Vs, on the other hand, were still running in 2008!

And honestly, I know Orion was on hard times but they couldn't have kept the destination sign in the middle like NJT's NABIs with the number being on the upper left like it is on the NGs?

If you're talking about the rear destination sign, with new designs come new changes.

Archived