2012 Orion VII EPA10 CNG Discussion - Nassau Inter-County Express (Nice)

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, but what's the status on that? We don't have any updates or confirmation that it is coming to Nassau County. We don't whether Nassau County or NICE has to accept a rebuilt wreck that was sitting in the elements for how long? Will there any concern from Nass County or NICE over any possible problems in the future due to the rebuild or having the unpaired bus sitting in the elements. Was a replacement There are still a lot of open questions with this, we'll see.

Hopefully, East New York can shed some light on this.

From what I heard, 1804 and 1808 were held in Nassau County still wrecked for evidence for insurance and to possibly convict the drivers who smashed into them. Both buses were owned by the County and paid for with state money issued to the County, so if both repaired, the buses will return into the county. I'm still unsure whether 1804 will get fixed, but somebody spotted it in the county last week. I don't know where the buses are now, but didn't somebody say 1808 was on final inspection two weeks ago?

Both buses were owned by the County and paid for with state money issued to the County, so if both repaired, the buses will return into the county. I'm still unsure whether 1804 will get fixed, but somebody spotted it in the county last week. I don't know where the buses are now, but didn't somebody say 1808 was on final inspection two weeks ago?

Spotted it in the County where? I want to check this out.

Also to expand on ownership, if MTA already paid Nassau County back or made any other sort of deal regarding this bus MTA would be free to do whatever they want with the bus. Yes, because the buses were bought with state and federal funds means they must stay in Nassau County because that's what the politicians meant the money to be used for. If Nassau County was already for the buses by the MTA or from insurance they don't the bus back the MTA paid for it in sense and can do what they want with it.

When Veolia and the MTA sat down at the end of last year I'm pretty sure they hashed out what will happen with these two buses. I couldn't imagine why Veoilia would not get this hammered out at the end of the year/ I don't see Veolia and their lawyers accepting not knowing what MTA was planning and being told that they would receive these buses back after they already ordered buses to replace the two. What a bad situation to be in, and I can't see Veolia putting themselves in that situation.

I have a feeling the MTA and Veolia hammered this all out at the end of last year when they sat down and Veolia and the MTA knew if they were being compensated for the buses or they would be receiving repaired buses back. After that Veolia said they would be ordering XX amount of buses and two of them were to replace two that wrecked under the MTA.

Now let me ask everyone a question, was there any other buses totaled under LIB in the past few years?

Also to expand on ownership, if MTA already paid Nassau County back or made any other sort of deal regarding this bus MTA would be free to do whatever they want with the bus. Yes, because the buses were bought with state and federal funds means they must stay in Nassau County because that's what the politicians meant the money to be used for. If Nassau County was already for the buses by the MTA or from insurance they don't the bus back the MTA paid for it in sense and can do what they want with it.

When Veolia and the MTA sat down at the end of last year I'm pretty sure they hashed out what will happen with these two buses. I couldn't imagine why Veoilia would not get this hammered out at the end of the year/ I don't see Veolia and their lawyers accepting not knowing what MTA was planning and being told that they would receive these buses back after they already ordered buses to replace the two. What a bad situation to be in, and I can't see Veolia putting themselves in that situation.

I have a feeling the MTA and Veolia hammered this all out at the end of last year when they sat down and Veolia and the MTA knew if they were being compensated for the buses or they would be receiving repaired buses back. After that Veolia said they would be ordering XX amount of buses and two of them were to replace two that wrecked under the MTA.

Now let me ask everyone a question, was there any other buses totaled under LIB in the past few years?

1804 was spotted being towed by Hofstra. They couldn't have been talking about 1808 since that has already been confirmed being fixed somewhere else: http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=267971

There were two Orion V CNGs (#153 and #303 I think) that had bad accidents and had to be retired early. This all happened within the last 6-7 years.

If it's good enough for the goose why wasn't it good enough for the gander? "Slap it together and send it to Veolia," If it was repairable and MTA didn't have any concerns about this in service why wasn't it repaired after the accident? Why did it sit so long until Veolia took over to decide to repair the bus and send it Nassau/Veolia?

Maybe it's me but something seems fishy here...

A few points:

1. Presumably the MTA is repairing the bus as part of an insurance settlement - what incentive would they have for doing a half-assed job if someone else is paying?

2. There is potential liability to the authority if an accident is caused because of a shoddy repair.

3. The bus was purchased for use in Nassau Coiunty using Federal funds, with the MTA as the 'designated recepient' for these funds on behalf of the county. If the bus is retired early, the MTA would be on the hook to return a portion of those funds to the Feds.

This is a necessary business transaction due to applicable federal laws. The MTA may not have been happy in how the LI Bus situation ended, but I don't think there is nearly the level of bad feelings that some folks believe - they did come to an agreement to allow NICE to use the Metrocard system, after all.

A few points:

1. Presumably the MTA is repairing the bus as part of an insurance settlement - what incentive would they have for doing a half-assed job if someone else is paying?

I'm not saying they have an incentive to do a half assed job but raising a legitament question of what if that bus has problems in the future.

3. The bus was purchased for use in Nassau Coiunty using Federal funds, with the MTA as the 'designated recepient' for these funds on behalf of the county. If the bus is retired early, the MTA would be on the hook to return a portion of those funds to the Feds.

Sounds like an incentive for the MTA to get this bus repaired by any means necessary, doesn't it? I wonder how much money the MTA would have had to pat Vs. the cost to repair the bus.

If this bus was fit to be repaired and put back into why the MTA didn't fix and put it back into service while they were still running LIB and why they waited until after Veolia was running to decide the bus should be fixed and out back into service...?.

Have anyone spotted these buses in service yet or are they doing driver training?

Would they have to do driver training? Aren't they pretty much the same bus as 1800 to 1839?

I don't know, I heard that from somewhere.

Yes I said that, because I have the feeling that the drivers need to get used to driving the 3Gs. They're not as broken in as the rest of the buses were when NICE started.

I don't know what you're picturing but these are professional drivers and if the buses are basically the same as what they are driving but newer why would they need training? I mean their reference points for turns, etc aren't changing you are just pitting a professional driver in a newer bus.

Take into account the cost, if Veolia does training that is only 2 hours (assuming a driver on the low end makes $16.hr and $27.hr on the high end, just using $21.50.hr as an average between the two) $21.50.hr x 2 hours = $43 x 700 drivers (which I got from a news article dealing with the LIB/Veolia takeover at the end of last year) = $30,100.

A lot of money to train a professional on what they already know...

I don't know what you're picturing but these are professional drivers and if the buses are basically the same as what they are driving but newer why would they need training? I mean their reference points for turns, etc aren't changing you are just pitting a professional driver in a newer bus.

Take into account the cost, if Veolia does training that is only 2 hours (assuming a driver on the low end makes $16.hr and $27.hr on the high end, just using $21.50.hr as an average between the two) $21.50.hr x 2 hours = $43 x 700 drivers (which I got from a news article dealing with the LIB/Veolia takeover at the end of last year) = $30,100.

A lot of money to train a professional on what they already know...

They aren't necessarily going to train all the drivers, just the ones who will have shifts using the 3Gs. Not all drivers will have to use all the buses in some cases.

They aren't necessarily going to train all the drivers, just the ones who will have shifts using the 3Gs. Not all drivers will have to use all the buses in some cases.

They're the same as the other Orion VIIs. At most, it'll just be showing them the new stuff or training drivers who haven't been trained trained on them already. When the new C40s came into Gleason, it was pretty much a 5 min training session to go over the wheelchair ramp.

Where are you getting this information?

Myself? I said I "have a feeling" the drivers will be trained. Nothing definite.

They're the same as the other Orion VIIs. At most, it'll just be showing them the new stuff or training drivers who haven't been trained trained on them already. When the new C40s came into Gleason, it was pretty much a 5 min training session to go over the wheelchair ramp.

I guess that's the answer we've waited for!

Dude..... If you keep asking all these questions that have already been answered, or can be researched, I'm going to put your account into moderation, and I will have to approve every single post you make before it will ever see the light of day.

For the last time...... All fleet and depot information is available MTA Bus Operations Fleet and Depot Thread. This includes NICE! Click on the NICE Fleet Roster link and find out for yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

I hate coming off like a foamer for asking this, but did the 3Gs survive Sandy?

All of them are still parked outside on Oak st. I assume they have received plenty more. The highest I see is 1857, but they probably have more parked inside the garage.

In the meantime it would have been cooler and less expensive to just put an orange stripe over half the blue MTA strpe! MTA is happy Veolia isn't running buses that look like the MTA's with the blue stripe, and Nassau County is happy with the "Nassau County stripe" on the buses until they got painted. Tax payers are happy, less money spent, and foamers are ecstatic. lmao

Archived