2012 Orion VII EPA10 CNG Discussion - Nassau Inter-County Express (Nice)

That statement is an oxymoron, more use would result in more maintenance and wear and tear costs. How wold they be cutting costs by running the one bus hard instead of pulling out a fres bus???

Unless this is being done on the V's, if so, smart move! Squeeze every drop of shampoo out

of the bottle before you throw it out. Smart, run the V's until they drop, then retire them.

Yea, they don't know how to operate in NY where there's traffic, they're used to operating in small towns where's there no traffic like Atlanta, LA, Maryland MTA, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego, Sacramento, , etc etc... No traffic in these towns. :rolleyes: You need to get out of Nassau County every now & then.. LMAO

It's not that there's not traffic in the cities you mentioned(and I've driven a bus in all of them),but it's the punishment they take in NYC & Long Island from the amount of passengers carried,the condition of roadways,unsynchronized traffic lights,and generally poor & aggressive drivers.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, NICE should of came in with a better game plan and conducted studies in the MTA Long Island bus system months in advance. This would of prevented some of the headaches now. Nassau should of had the MTA stay until atleast June when Veolia could of wrapped up their reseach.

It's not that there's not traffic in the cities you mentioned(and I've driven a bus in all of them),but it's the punishment they take in NYC & Long Island from the amount of passengers carried,the condition of roadways,unsynchronized traffic lights,and generally poor & aggressive drivers.

I understand the unsynchronized traffic lights (messes up the scheduling), the poor and agressive drivers (cut the drivers off and cause accidents), the amount of passengers (many buses are packed), but are the condition of the roadways really doing the bad damage to the buses?

The state roads have horribly off-sync traffic lights... the ones that our buses use seem to be fine, especially the non-stop segments of the N20 on Old Northern Boulevard and Route 107. Too bad it doesn't make up for being on a crushloaded bus that always gets cut off by the idiots who got their licenses by putting their car into gear.

Went past Mitchel Field on the way to the mall today, new buses in the front & back.

The highest bus I saw was was 1877.

Some of the lower numbered buses have tags, I def remember seeing some 1850's with tags on them.

Is 1840 on the road? I caught a pic of 1840 outside the bays (I'll post the pic when I get home) bus had a tag on it and was gone a short time later.

the one thing NICE should do is keep the orion V CNG's, one thing i like about private companies, they keep thier buses until its their time to go unlike the MTA, the MTA keeps buses until they are about 12-14 years old, look how many CNG's they are retiring, hopefully NICE keeps the 2001-2002 Orion V CNG's longer, the Orion V CNG's that are being replaced aren't even old, they have 3 years left in them since they are from 2000, most CNG's built after 1998 can last for over 14 years, if I were NICE i would keep some of the good ones and increase service, one thing that pissed me off is when the (MTA) took over the privates

the one thing NICE should do is keep the orion V CNG's, one thing i like about private companies, they keep thier buses until its their time to go unlike the MTA, the MTA keeps buses until they are about 12-14 years old, look how many CNG's they are retiring, hopefully NICE keeps the 2001-2002 Orion V CNG's longer, the Orion V CNG's that are being replaced aren't even old, they have 3 years left in them since they are from 2000, most CNG's built after 1998 can last for over 14 years, if I were NICE i would keep some of the good ones and increase service, one thing that pissed me off is when the (MTA) took over the privates

12-14 years is the retirement age for all buses regardless of who built them. You may have a few individuals that can keep running past that 12 year mark, but that doesn't mean the whole fleet should go past it.

Went past Mitchel Field on the way to the mall today, new buses in the front & back.

The highest bus I saw was was 1877.

Some of the lower numbered buses have tags, I def remember seeing some 1850's with tags on them.

Is 1840 on the road? I caught a pic of 1840 outside the bays (I'll post the pic when I get home) bus had a tag on it and was gone a short time later.

They may be training in 1840.

By the 15th year the engine is shot, the interior is crap, and the bus is required to be recertified. To do that and rehabilitate the bus is nearly cost of a new bus.

the Orion V CNG's can last up to 15 years the maximum (they have to be built after 1998 to last that long as i stated earlier) NICE isn't the MTA so they can keep the buses up to their 15 year mark if they wanted to, but most orion V Buses (esp if their non stainless steel) can last at a maximum of 13-17 years, TTC's are about 16 years old (former CNG buses that were converted to diesel) and the ex bee lines that are 17 years old, NICE is almost a year old company but they should keep their fleet to the maximum unless the bus starts to fail alot, its stupid for a bus to last 12 years unless its a gillig lol but seriously thats a myth

I agree, NICE should of came in with a better game plan and conducted studies in the MTA Long Island bus system months in advance. This would of prevented some of the headaches now. Nassau should of had the MTA stay until atleast June when Veolia could of wrapped up their reseach.

Veolia requested many things from the MTA prior to the take over, many having to do with ridership etc. but MTA would not give it up. All Veolia could do was hire temp agencies to hire people to work as traffic checkers.

the Orion V CNG's can last up to 15 years the maximum (they have to be built after 1998 to last that long as i stated earlier) NICE isn't the MTA so they can keep the buses up to their 15 year mark if they wanted to, but most orion V Buses (esp if their non stainless steel) can last at a maximum of 13-17 years, TTC's are about 16 years old (former CNG buses that were converted to diesel) and the ex bee lines that are 17 years old, NICE is almost a year old company but they should keep their fleet to the maximum unless the bus starts to fail alot, its stupid for a bus to last 12 years unless its a gillig lol but seriously thats a myth

The 'maximums' are strictly theoretical. Some Canadian transit agencies are still operating Orion V diesel buses from the early 1990's (with 6V-92 engines!).

I saw a couple in the back that obviously looked like they were being stripped, were these them?

Yes, those are the two that's back there along with another one. I couldn't get the number. 1578,1567,1559,1804 are no longer back there.

Well I got some new information from a retired LIB operator who said the new buses are sitting in the yard and havent gone into service yet over a funding dispute. Mangano wants Veolia to share in the cost but they don't want to. :lol:

So the old Orion V CNGs arent going anywhere yet.

looks like these NEW NICE 3G's started service on the n6, 1843, has a allison tranny just like the older 17/1800's:

It's like every time PinePower enlightens us with something one of his buddy retired or ex nice bus drivers tells him the universe quickly shows us proof that he had to open up wide and put his foot in his mouth. PinePower, like I told you before, don't believe everything you hear. ...and based on what you've posted here recently (new buses not going anywhere because of a funding dispute, nice driver who crashed into house was probably inexperienced and rushing) is there any reason you can give us that we should believe anything in the future that you "enlighten" us with based on what you've heard?

Archived