Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting how article comments blame Mangano, the Orion V's have always had break down issues, it just so happens that this time it happened crossing tracks.

They've had these issues, but the 2000 Orion V CNG's service has worsened considerably since NICE's takeover. I've heard the news surrounding NICE, read the articles, talked to passengers (and dispatchers), and listened to the buses' performance. They've all said the performance has been terrible. The 2000 Orion V CNGs are banged up and too old, and NICE is forced to operate them because they don't have any new buses to back them up.

The reason the people rightfully blame Mangano is because he ditched the MTA (which ran service okay in Nassau) for a private company (with a mixed reputation) that's been forced to run at a terrible budget. The budget is what you see in not only the service, but the performance of them, too, especially the elder Orion V's. If Mangano and the Nassau legislature helped out in giving NICE more revenue, then they can operate more buses, get plenty of new ones to retire some of the older fleet, expand service to neighborhoods that need them, improve bus performance, and maybe even advertise so people can ride the buses instead of just the LIRR, a car, or cab. There's been a severe trust issue between the passengers and both NICE and Mangano because service and the aforementioned budget have been deplorable.

It's interesting how article comments blame Mangano, the Orion V's have always had break down issues, it just so happens that this time it happened crossing tracks.

That heat wave in June every other bus I rode had no A/C, one noobie completely missed the easiest turn on the route, and I heard a lot of bus operators complain to dispatchers that they couldn't breathe on their buses because the A/C was busted. I think that lack of funding is starting to show.

I've been on a greyhound that's AC busted, windows down roof hatches up, there,s nothing you can do if the AC busts once a bus is out in service no matter who the operator of the bus is... Oh I've also been on quite a few (MTA) LIB buses that had a faulty AC.

I love how Veolia is taking shit for 11+ plus year old buses breaking down (that they've maintained for not even 8 months) because of their maintenance. lmao

I love how Veolia is taking shit for 11+ plus year old buses breaking down (that they've maintained for not even 8 months) because of their maintenance. lmao

The government requests that buses be in service for 12 years. Plenty of transit authorities have 11 and 12 year old buses that run perfectly fine.

Edited by Amtrak7

That's not the point I was making. ;)

I was saying maybe the problem with the buses isn't the 8 months of maintenance, maybe it has to do with the maintenance from the past decade.

I can't prove that, I don't think anybody can prove that the mechanical problems are from Veolia over the past 7 3/4 months... BUT people on this forum are so quick to point the finger at Veolia's maintenance, it's pretty amusing actually.

Edited by Burrstone

I was saying maybe the problem with the buses isn't the 8 months of maintenance, maybe it has to do with the maintenance from the past decade.

I can't prove that, I don't think anybody can prove that the mechanical problems are from Veolia over the past 7 3/4 months... BUT people on this forum are so quick to point the finger at Veolia's maintenance, it's pretty amusing actually.

I point the finger at everyone. In this case, the whole time, I've pointed it at Nassau County.

They're barely maintaining buses that aren't even a year old, never mind Orion Vs from a decade ago.

Yeah because Mangano doesn't provide enough money. When you run a bus system on so little, maintanance is going to be deferred. Then throw in the complications in the CNG fuel system and you've got yourself loads of breakdowns.

I'd love proof that they're actually maintaining these things. I'm neutral when it comes to this whole thing.

I really stand neutral myself but I really do feel the need to step in and play devils advocate or at least be the one that stands up in support of Veolia. Some members love to paint a picture like Veolia is run by a bunch idiots who can't find their way out of a paper bag. It's pretty amusing that a handful of members sit here and nit pick every situation and how it was done wrong because it was Veolia. It's amusing because they have no industry experience and know more than the two gentlemen running the company who have more years of industry experience than these members have years alive.

Is Veolia running on little money? Yes! We know this we don't need pine power saying it in every thread. The COUNTRY is BROKE and Nassau County is not the only transit system that faced major cuts. It sucks and we can complain about it all day long but it's not going to change, not any time soon. What should Veolia do? I think Veoliak is doing a great job of running the system on a tight budget.

Can I prove the buses are being maintained? Of course not, just like others here can't prove Veolia isn't maintaining the equipment. However, when I step back and look at it I have two theories. 1) Of course they're maintaining buses! Didn't they only cut one shift (an overnight shift) in the shop? If so that's a good amount of mechanics in the shop 16 hours a day. What is Veolia doing? Telling them "play cards, take a nap, do anything but maintain the buses."? Veolua HAS TO PAY a good amount of mechanics, wouldn't it be logical to assume these mechanics are maintaining buses? 2) (in terms of the 1500/1600 buses) I could see a decision being made to leave these buses as they are, the end of their life is coming in a few months, if it happens before then, oh well paying for a tow back to MF is the cheapest option. Given the little money NICE has does anyone feel that looking at one of these buses and rebuilding the engine, the trans, or any other major overhaul make sense knowing these buses will soon be sent out to pasture? Send them out 'til they die, NICE is just getting squeezing every drop of shampoo out of the bottle before they throw it out.

My opinion on the matter is it seems more logical that the problems with the buses are because of the past maintenance over a long period of time rather than who's been maintaining them for 7.5 months.

Keep in mind itt was not uncommon to see these same breakdowns when the (MTA) was around.

I have an open mind, but I need proof, not assumptions.

...and Joel Up Front, this was directed at you, just replying to your post.

Edited by Burrstone

Yeah because Mangano doesn't provide enough money. When you run a bus system on so little, maintanance is going to be deferred. Then throw in the complications in the CNG fuel system and you've got yourself loads of breakdowns.

Nassau County is $310,000,000 in debt, where would the money be coming from?

Joe

Or put a penny in the jar every time Pine Power has to post that Mangano doesn't provide enough money. That'll fund the system in no time.

As many complaints as I have about this entire thing, I haven't dedicated three YT channels and registered on every single website that had an article about NICE to paste the same crap from the last site I was on.

Edited by Joel Up Front

The government requests that buses be in service for 12 years. Plenty of transit authorities have 11 and 12 year old buses that run perfectly fine.

Right but these same buses have been breaking down for YEARS, not just the 7 months that Veolia has been in charge.

As long as Nassau County remains a financial basketcase, I see little change to the current situation.

As long as there are those people who live in million dollar houses, who drive everywhere, drive to the LIRR, and snub their nose at bus riders nothing will change. Mangano isn't the only one in Nassau County who is against funding a bus system!