Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

"There would be a huge uproar if this was happening on the Long Island Rail Road, and it would be fixed pretty quickly," Obernauer said.

The LIRR doesn't read cards and the LIRR (or (MTA) ) isn't quick to fix ANYTHING.  Another useless quote to stir the pot by a useless bus riders union!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im assuming the whole route because you said either that or Walt Whitman (I saw it at Hicksville).

Walt Whitman has had the new sign for a while.

If by Hicksville you mean the LIRR station, then it could be one-off. But if you meant one of the other stops (East Marie St, etc.) it would be safe to assume it's the whole route.

Looking forward to having something to look for the next time I'm back home though... (also the new LIRR departure board outside the ticket office?!)

Edited by Amtrak7

"There would be a huge uproar if this was happening on the Long Island Rail Road, and it would be fixed pretty quickly," Obernauer said.

The LIRR doesn't read cards and the LIRR (or (MTA) ) isn't quick to fix ANYTHING.  Another useless quote to stir the pot by a useless bus riders union!

Like the LIRR is that much more reliable, perhaps Obernauer should use the LIRR restrooms. Most of the time the doors dont lock, and the sinks dont work, you're lucky if they have soap..and I'm talking about the M7s. LIBRU should be talking about why NICE hasn't restored the n27 to its full length on weekends, instead of this BS. The machines are old, they're having the same problems in the city. 

It has nothing to do with the machines being old. Our smart card system is approaching 4 years old (from the first day it rolled out throughout the country) and the system still malfunctions from time to time. As recently as last Friday I got a free ride because the system was borked again. So even newer systems can malfunction.

But I'm really looking forward to NICE's solution. Pretty genius to just an app for paying the fare. Aside from the SMS ticket in Belgium, I haven't seen anything that comes close to that. What do you guys think about NICE's app development? Will that system be a blessing or will it be just as 'good' as the current system?

Like the LIRR is that much more reliable, perhaps Obernauer should use the LIRR restrooms. Most of the time the doors dont lock, and the sinks dont work, you're lucky if they have soap..and I'm talking about the M7s. LIBRU should be talking about why NICE hasn't restored the n27 to its full length on weekends, instead of this BS. The machines are old, they're having the same problems in the city. 

I have used restroom on LIRR BiLevel and with Kenesis Project groups for Wedding Flashmob at Landing's End in Sayville, NY and restroom door wasn't locked. When female open the door, I was already washing hand and I tried to explain DOOR WOULDN'T LOCK but she didn't listen.

Edited by FamousNYLover

While on the n35 waiting at Endo Rd to cross Stewart Ave I saw the 7:25pm southbound trip make a right and skip the college. There were at least 20 students waiting for a bus "to the terminal" there. After seeing this happen again, I complained to NICE. There's a driver on the n35 who routinely skips NCC w/o permission. 

Edited by PinePower

While on the n35 waiting at Endo Rd to cross Stewart Ave I saw the 7:25pm southbound trip make a right and skip the college. There were at least 20 students waiting for a bus "to the terminal" there. After seeing this happen again, I complained to NICE. There's a driver on the n35 who routinely skips NCC w/o permission. 

During the Car Free Day, I boarded 8:45 n6x NCC female driver on #1702 who arrived late at HTC at 9:20, and she was suppose to making all NCC campus stops, but only went far as Student Union and she skipped all other campus and Endo Blvd timespoint.

I honestly believe there isn't discipline on the drivers like there should be. Let's say a driver skips stops and people complain. What is NICE going to do, fire the driver? They're low on drivers as it is and that's one less list of runs that will go out on a daily basis if he/she gets laid off. They could have the driver go out and do what he/she does or not have the bus go out at all and fire the driver, risking more complaints from riders waiting for the rest of his/her runs. I'm curious to know. How long has this been happening for?

Its been going on for the past 5 or 6 months. This same driver also likes to run hot, sometimes leaving RF almost 10 minutes early on the way to Westbury. He's also pulled into the wrong bus bay at RF on numerous occasions. I know NICE is short on drivers but its stuff like this that's causing NICE to lose passengers. LIB never had these problems until near the end. Hound is right about the driver's pay, it's obviously too low, if they cant find drivers and are forced to hold onto ones that leave passengers stranded on a daily basis. You have drivers out there that dont give a damn about the passengers and just do what they feel like because its not a career, it's just a step up from driving a Super Shuttle! (MTA) disciplined frequently for running hot or missing stops, but at NICE it seems almost a free for all. Of course in their mind if they didn't see it they won't do anything, there's less supervisors. I'm hoping when they finally get a working GPS system stuff like this will be a thing of the past, as dispatchers can monitor the buses and their locations from a central point. That is of course if the dispatchers they're hiring know what they're doing. 

@Brett: Transdev is slowly forcing stricter rules, even at some of their companies that are short on drivers. Here in my city, for example, we are close to short on drivers but Transdev is enforcing such strict rules as of 2013. Make one big mistake or leave a timing point to early (or too late, depends on the case) and you'll get a warning. 2 warnings and you get the boot. If you do something like a skip a stop on purpose (like in PinePowers case), you'll get a serious conversation with the staff manager.

The next one up where they will go enforce these strict rules as of Dec 2013 will be their activities in Germany, AFAIK. If it's also successful there other Transdev companies will follow meaning NICE could get these enforcements as of 2014 or 2015.

@PinePower: At least the driver's pay on LI is higher and you'll get insurance, unlike here.

Edited by Vistausss

I honestly believe there isn't discipline on the drivers like there should be. Let's say a driver skips stops and people complain. What is NICE going to do, fire the driver? They're low on drivers as it is and that's one less list of runs that will go out on a daily basis if he/she gets laid off. They could have the driver go out and do what he/she does or not have the bus go out at all and fire the driver, risking more complaints from riders waiting for the rest of his/her runs. I'm curious to know. How long has this been happening for?

I think it is more to do with the unions, if someone is facing any type of meeting that could result in disciplinary action most union employees are allowed a union rep.   Unless their is hard proof a driver did something wrong management can't really do anything, unless you had a supervisor following each bus to catch the wrong doing.  My suggestion would be to follow certain drivers (or drivers with many complaints) more often than other drivers but once a driver knows they are being watched they will be on their best behavior, so nothing will happen.  

You have drivers out there that dont give a damn about the passengers and just do what they feel like because its not a career, it's just a step up from driving a Super Shuttle! 

Amen!  This has been going on forever.

But this has been going on with the (MTA) as well as drivers thought they were untouchable.  

You've always had drivers who couldn't care less about the passenger and thought the system was there to give them a paycheck and not to give the community a ride.

but at NICE it seems almost a free for all.

You want to explain your theory on that?  Considering NICE starts out more per hour than LIB did, and top pay is higher now than it was under LIB (as the (MTA) didn't give drivers a raise in 3 years).  Top pay is about $20. hour, medical dental, vision, etc..  So what do you feel makes it not a career?  The starting pay (even all it is higher than LIB was)?  Most college graduates start out in their industry with the same or less salary than a new NICE driver ($38,604.80)?  Is it the lack of a pension?  Most careers don't offer a pension.  So what makes this not a career, besides you saying less benefits with the (MTA) is a career, but more is not a career because it's Veolia?

it's just a step up from driving a Super Shuttle!

I'm sorry but that's stupid and you are disrespecting everyone who works for NICE who has a CDL driving a 40' transit bus and saying they are just a step up from a van driver without a CDL. ...and what benefits and salary does Super Shuttle offer to compare them just a step under a "real bus driver" (to quote Hound)?

What do you do for a living again?  Sounds like NICE needs drivers, do you make more than $18.56 an hour with full benefits?  I know you view this as "not a career" and just a job, so your career must be pretty great!

" Setzer said the drivers' jobs, which have a starting salary of $18.56 an hour, "include a full range of benefits" including health care and retirement plans. Some of the openings are part-time positions, but Setzer said those workers could eventually move into full-time jobs"

I think it is more to do with the unions, if someone is facing any type of meeting that could result in disciplinary action most union employees are allowed a union rep.   Unless their is hard proof a driver did something wrong management can't really do anything, unless you had a supervisor following each bus to catch the wrong doing.  My suggestion would be to follow certain drivers (or drivers with many complaints) more often than other drivers but once a driver knows they are being watched they will be on their best behavior, so nothing will happen.  

Amen!  This has been going on forever.

But this has been going on with the (MTA) as well as drivers thought they were untouchable.  

You've always had drivers who couldn't care less about the passenger and thought the system was there to give them a paycheck and not to give the community a ride.

You want to explain your theory on that?  Considering NICE starts out more per hour than LIB did, and top pay is higher now than it was under LIB (as the (MTA) didn't give drivers a raise in 3 years).  Top pay is about $20. hour, medical dental, vision, etc..  So what do you feel makes it not a career?  The starting pay (even all it is higher than LIB was)?  Most college graduates start out in their industry with the same or less salary than a new NICE driver ($38,604.80)?  Is it the lack of a pension?  Most careers don't offer a pension.  So what makes this not a career, besides you saying less benefits with the (MTA) is a career, but more is not a career because it's Veolia?

I'm sorry but that's stupid and you are disrespecting everyone who works for NICE who has a CDL driving a 40' transit bus and saying they are just a step up from a van driver without a CDL. ...and what benefits and salary does Super Shuttle offer to compare them just a step under a "real bus driver" (to quote Hound)?

What do you do for a living again?  Sounds like NICE needs drivers, do you make more than $18.56 an hour with full benefits?  I know you view this as "not a career" and just a job, so your career must be pretty great!

If you are correct than I'm wrong. I've been told they are only part time and won't allow much more than 20-25 hours a week at around $15/hr. This is coming of course from some drivers I know. If they pay more than LIB thats news to me. But the drivers definately get less hours. Yes I know there's a difference, a big difference between driving a Super Shuttle and a 40' bus, what I'm pointing out here is that some of these drivers act like they're still driving the Super Shuttle. Go on Yelp and read all the bad reviews about them. I had another driver run 10 minutes hot tonight, its like I now have to be at the bus stop at least 10 minutes ahead of schedule, 5 minutes isn't good enough. This is transit, there's a schedule, not just drive from point A to Point B as fast as you can. 

The Facebook sign on the left? That's the system map upside down.

If you are correct than I'm wrong. I've been told they are only part time and won't allow much more than 20-25 hours a week at around $15/hr. 

The rate of pay and benefits is a direct quote from Setzer when they were gearing up to hire many new FT'ers for the big service increase.  I don't think Setzer has a reason to lie to the news regarding pay and benefits and if he did I'm sure the union would've called him on it.

This is coming of course from some drivers I know. If they pay more than LIB thats news to me. But the drivers definately get less hours. 

There are many posts here (that I'm sure you've seen) linking to news articles that state that NICE gave drivers the first raise they've had in 3 years, which included a higher starting rate for new drivers (which we found out a from the Newsday articicle quoting Setzer is $18.56 an hour).  New drivers at LIB started at about $15/$16 an hour...

...so yea, NICE pays more than LIB.  I think you are right that they are probably back to hiring PT'ers as they did hire a big chunk to get ready for the new service change.  In comparison LIB hired LABO (PT) drivers, so what's the difference?  Are you sure (MTA) PT got more than Veolia PT?  Either way, it was and still is a foot in the door?  But Burrstone, they can't feed a family of four on PT at NICE! But I suppose they could at LIB?!

Yes I know there's a difference, a big difference between driving a Super Shuttle and a 40' bus, what I'm pointing out here is that some of these drivers act like they're still driving the Super Shuttle.

Why is it you assume Veolia brought over drivers from Supershuttle?  We've already been over the fact that Supershuttle drivers don't need a CDL, so most of the workforce couldn't just "come over."  If someone had a CDL they're not going to waste their time driving a van for supershuttle as they could make more elsewhere.

what I'm pointing out here is that some of these drivers act like they're still driving the Super Shuttle. Go on Yelp and read all the bad reviews about them.

I've traveled around the Country relying on supershuttle about half the time at airports, I don't need to go on yelp to read their reviews. lol  There are better and worse shuttles out there, the same with hotels but I don't see how hotels or shuttles fit in here?  Besides your fascination with the assumption that you think Veolia is  bringing in supershuttle drivers to drive transit buses. 

The Facebook sign on the left? That's the system map upside down.

Oops I didn't see there were two facebook signs :embarrassed:  Yes I was talking about the one to the left of the pic....

Acting like they drive a Super Shuttle? Yes, that may be possible. However, that doesn't say anything about where they come from. If I act like I'm drunk than it doesn't mean that I'm actually drunk, right?

(not to mention the fact that some companies just train their bus drivers like this, seen it happen at Veolia Netherlands and HTM too)

Edited by Vistausss

The rate of pay and benefits is a direct quote from Setzer when they were gearing up to hire many new FT'ers for the big service increase.  I don't think Setzer has a reason to lie to the news regarding pay and benefits and if he did I'm sure the union would've called him on it.

There are many posts here (that I'm sure you've seen) linking to news articles that state that NICE gave drivers the first raise they've had in 3 years, which included a higher starting rate for new drivers (which we found out a from the Newsday articicle quoting Setzer is $18.56 an hour).  New drivers at LIB started at about $15/$16 an hour...

...so yea, NICE pays more than LIB.  I think you are right that they are probably back to hiring PT'ers as they did hire a big chunk to get ready for the new service change.  In comparison LIB hired LABO (PT) drivers, so what's the difference?  Are you sure (MTA) PT got more than Veolia PT?  Either way, it was and still is a foot in the door?  But Burrstone, they can't feed a family of four on PT at NICE! But I suppose they could at LIB?!

Why is it you assume Veolia brought over drivers from Supershuttle?  We've already been over the fact that Supershuttle drivers don't need a CDL, so most of the workforce couldn't just "come over."  If someone had a CDL they're not going to waste their time driving a van for supershuttle as they could make more elsewhere.

I've traveled around the Country relying on supershuttle about half the time at airports, I don't need to go on yelp to read their reviews. lol  There are better and worse shuttles out there, the same with hotels but I don't see how hotels or shuttles fit in here?  Besides your fascination with the assumption that you think Veolia is  bringing in supershuttle drivers to drive transit buses. 

Oops I didn't see there were two facebook signs :embarrassed:  Yes I was talking about the one to the left of the pic....

Whether they came from Supershuttle or not, I've never seen drivers disregard passengers like that anywhere else, not usually, anyway. I'm not sure why these drivers think they can get away with it, and where they learned such driving styles. Now they do not represent most of the drivers at NICE, in actuality they are probably just a handful. But they keep getting away with what they are doing, thats what irks me the most.

I guess a video of them skipping points on the route will be the only thing that may get action...

Edited by PinePower

I think those paratransit vans will work out for NICE, especially the part about being able to use the parkway system.

Also, what made Veolia spend their own money? The old vans were in that bad shape?

Edited by Amtrak7