Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

According to this group there is no other way to get to the meeting than crossing a busy highway. Where does the N27 stop? Maybe nice should provide shuttle bus from the mall to the meeting

If member on here said anything about the meeting maybe I would have went

Why? Virtually no one uses n27 stop outside of the depot. Everyone on the bus is usually going to the mall, somewhere off Stewart Avenue, or the college.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "news" story on news12 made me laugh, all this is is a story! These yahoos could have taken any bus to NCC bookstore and walked through easily to MF it's a 5 maybe 10 min walk, that wouldn't be a good story though. Then they go on to are everything not controlled by NICE. Does someone need to stand in front of them and blow a megaphone saying NICE has nothing to do with where the meeting is held (or for busy roads ).

Then they go on about a taking a trip from queens to Montauk. WTF does this have to do with getting to the NICE meeting!?! What point are they trying make? Who commutes from queens to Montauk on a transit bus!?! What are they trying to raise awareness for?!? That a bunch of people without jobs can't take a joyride out to Montauk and back in the same say!?!

What does NICE have to do with Sunday bus service with SUFFOLK COUNTY TRANSIT!?!

They think they're not getting what they pay for... Really!?! WTF do they think $2.75 should but them!?! $2.75 is not even enough to buy to get from Freeport to Roosevelt Field if they owned a car, forget about maintenance and insurance on top of that.

The only thing the LIBRU is bring attention to is that they are one useless group hellbent on bitching to anybody about anything and everything!

None of the RFM ring roads count as "busy highways" in any way.  If there are people trying to get to the mall from Old Country Road or Stewart Avenue, odds are they're already on one of the six or seven routes that already use that road to get there - no need to cross either road.  Stewart Avenue and all the roads leading to MF depot are wide enough to handle the traffic and have crosswalks.  If anything, they were trying to burn a few extra calories.

Ny1635, you said nobody uses that N27 bus stop

To nice bus depot/ headquarters we'll a group of Long Island bus riders union officials wanted to get to the depot meeting safely as possible I don't go there but if there was a N27 bus wouldn't these people have taken it? Maybe the N27 is discontinued? I support the libri in what they are doing I wish I can take that bus toed from queens to montauk but I can't. $2.75 is not a bargain most bus riders are on a limited budget and can't even afford the $2.75 now .

To nice bus depot/ headquarters we'll a group of Long Island bus riders union officials wanted to get to the depot meeting safely as possible I don't go there but if there was a N27 bus wouldn't these people have taken it? Maybe the N27 is discontinued? I support the libri in what they are doing I wish I can take that bus toed from queens to montauk but I can't. $2.75 is not a bargain most bus riders are on a limited budget and can't even afford the $2.75 now .

The stop still exists in front of the building, but I don't see people who take the n27 use the stop in front of the depot. The n27 still runs, it's just 30 minutes during weekday rush hours and hourly during mid-days. I hope this answers your question.

The only thing the LIBRU is bring attention to is that they are one useless group hellbent on bitching to anybody about anything and everything!

The LI version of Straphangers.

Just wondering ... how many of these folks are consistently at other meetings, voicing their concerns about the flaws of NICE service?  Or was it a 15-seconds of fame opportunity cashed-in on?

Judging by what others are saying, seems like it.  Just a bystander here looking in, weighing things, with nothing in the game.

If N27 takes them directly to the building why would these people walk so much and cross a dangerous busy highway? How many people went to the nice headquarters meeting? If somebody works full time do they make the meeting at night or on a weekend?

Also in the news clip the Long Island bus riders union wants Sunday service in Suffolk does nice operate some Suffolk routes?

If N27 takes them directly to the building why would these people walk so much and cross a dangerous busy highway? How many people went to the nice headquarters meeting? If somebody works full time do they make the meeting at night or on a weekend?

Also in the news clip the Long Island bus riders union wants Sunday service in Suffolk does nice operate some Suffolk routes?

Because then they have nothing to bitch about. 

As for the last question, there's already limited sunday service covering at least most parts of the existing system area, however, NICE only runs the n19, n79, n54/n55 and n70/72, which already go into Suffolk

From what I heard the Long Island bus riders union is trying to save & keep bus service affordable in Nassau li.

Nobody cares about the LIBRU, not even the riders. NICE has explained that they are raising fares because they need the money to perform maintenance on the buses and improve service levels. They can't provide service on a shoe string budget.

This "news" story on news12 made me laugh, all this is is a story! These yahoos could have taken any bus to NCC bookstore and walked through easily to MF it's a 5 maybe 10 min walk, that wouldn't be a good story though. Then they go on to are everything not controlled by NICE. Does someone need to stand in front of them and blow a megaphone saying NICE has nothing to do with where the meeting is held (or for busy roads ).

Then they go on about a taking a trip from queens to Montauk. WTF does this have to do with getting to the NICE meeting!?! What point are they trying make? Who commutes from queens to Montauk on a transit bus!?! What are they trying to raise awareness for?!? That a bunch of people without jobs can't take a joyride out to Montauk and back in the same say!?!

What does NICE have to do with Sunday bus service with SUFFOLK COUNTY TRANSIT!?!

They think they're not getting what they pay for... Really!?! WTF do they think $2.75 should but them!?! $2.75 is not even enough to buy to get from Freeport to Roosevelt Field if they owned a car, forget about maintenance and insurance on top of that.

Rate the Ride trip was to focus on anniversary of ADA by using NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit bus for 2 consecutive days. n27 buses are always late, and LIBRU Riders Aaron, Jana, Frederick (former MTA LIB Mechanic at Rockville Cetre), John are all bus riders, including me. There are some folks. Jana was only blind and she was terrifying to cross multiple lanes of Roosevelt Field Mall just to get to BJ Club or NICE Bus Depot because of speeding motorists. n27 bus sometimes don't show up and 4pm public hearing finish at 6pm if less people attended. One of News12 anchorwoman broke her ankle. We were grading our trip on both public bus as part of bus survey.

You mislead that article and we were focusing on both expand hours of NICE Bus and increase Sunday Service on Suffolk County Transit buses. At press conference at Riverhead County Center bus stop, Legislator Scherman states some folks dangerously hitchhike because there was not good Sunday service in tourist destination area in both end of forks.

Most of passengers are not happy with fare hike unless if they improve bus service, maintain the bus.

None of the RFM ring roads count as "busy highways" in any way.  If there are people trying to get to the mall from Old Country Road or Stewart Avenue, odds are they're already on one of the six or seven routes that already use that road to get there - no need to cross either road.  Stewart Avenue and all the roads leading to MF depot are wide enough to handle the traffic and have crosswalks.  If anything, they were trying to burn a few extra calories.

It still count as dangerous intersection and I have seen passenger from BJ Club Shopping Cart at bus terminal and there are lots of folks who cross Ring Rd just to get to NICE Bus Depot, BJ Club, Able-Ride Depot, or La Fitness. It is extreme dangerous to cross at night.

n27 is not discontinued. Sometimes n27 is very unrealiable and sometimes bus never showed up, or shows up very late and sometimes it forces passenger to miss 4pm meeting if passenger going to hearing wait for next bus.

The stop still exists in front of the building, but I don't see people who take the n27 use the stop in front of the depot. The n27 still runs, it's just 30 minutes during weekday rush hours and hourly during mid-days. I hope this answers your question.

Problem with n27 bus is sometimes bus doesn't show, or bus runs late, forcing passengers who attend 4pm public hearing misses it.

The LI version of Straphangers.

Just wondering ... how many of these folks are consistently at other meetings, voicing their concerns about the flaws of NICE service?  Or was it a 15-seconds of fame opportunity cashed-in on?

Judging by what others are saying, seems like it.  Just a bystander here looking in, weighing things, with nothing in the game.

There are times seats are full with public bus riders, including BRU, Tri-State Campaign, and few bus riders, etc.

NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit is different agency. Suffolk County Transit bus never had Sunday Service below, and thanks to Suffolk County Legislater/Executive working together with LIBRU/LIJWJ got funding to get Sunday service.

Because then they have nothing to bitch about. 

As for the last question, there's already limited sunday service covering at least most parts of the existing system area, however, NICE only runs the n19, n79, n54/n55 and n70/72, which already go into Suffolk

From what I heard the Long Island bus riders union is trying to save & keep bus service affordable in Nassau li.

Nassau County Legislator Solage and Curan who works with LIBRU is trying to increase funding for NICE Bus.

Last night, one Hispanic woman at  Sunrise Mall stated "last 16:43 n81 Hicksville never showed up."

Nobody cares about the LIBRU, not even the riders. NICE has explained that they are raising fares because they need the money to perform maintenance on the buses and improve service levels. They can't provide service on a shoe string budget.

That's not really true. Some folks do care. Just like Riders Alliance, some riders do care about often bus or subway service.

Edited by FamousNYLover

The n27 stops by the depot though. Theres two bus stops there in fact. I don't understand why they're complaining. They even get two transfers on NICE bus. Get the n27 at either Hempstead or Roosevelt Field, or Roslyn. Some n24 buses even serve the depot as well. Just more unnecessary complaining.

n27 is not reliable bus service because sometimes bus runs late and bus never show up. n24 bus only serves bus depot during AM Rush Hour only going to East Meadow.

NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit is different agency. Suffolk County Transit bus never had Sunday Service below, and thanks to Suffolk County Legislater/Executive working together with LIBRU/LIJWJ got funding to get Sunday service.

LIBRU didn't get the funding, the funding came from riders (fare increases) and money from the state. I also doesn't remember once the LIBRU ever being mentioned when Suffolk started the Sunday Service.  Sunday Service only came because Riders were willing to except to pay for it and an County Executive that was willing to enact a fare raise and spend money for the service. 

Just because the LIBRU wanted SCT to have Sunday Service doesn't mean you can claim you helped get it. I told you that the Suffolk Legislature already had a riders group that they listened to, and who had been telling them the need for Sunday Service, for alot longer then the LIBRU has been around. 

n27 is not reliable bus service because sometimes bus runs late and bus never show up. n24 bus only serves bus depot during AM Rush Hour only going to East Meadow.

Well, it still goes to the depot, so there's no reason to be saying that there's "virtually no way to get to this meeting". Being unreliable has nothing to do with intentionally walking. If you walk, then that's your problem. By that logic, there's virtually no way to get around Nassau since the buses are not reliable.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

LIBRU didn't get the funding, the funding came from riders (fare increases) and money from the state. I also doesn't remember once the LIBRU ever being mentioned when Suffolk started the Sunday Service.  Sunday Service only came because Riders were willing to except to pay for it and an County Executive that was willing to enact a fare raise and spend money for the service. 

Just because the LIBRU wanted SCT to have Sunday Service doesn't mean you can claim you helped get it. I told you that the Suffolk Legislature already had a riders group that they listened to, and who had been telling them the need for Sunday Service, for alot longer then the LIBRU has been around. 

Tri-State Campaign is also part of riders group.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2014/05/12/suffolk-county-transit-bus-supporters-intensify-calls-for-increased-funding-service/

http://www.tstc.org/press/2014/03182014_STOA_Suffolk_Transit_Release.pdf

Edited by FamousNYLover

The news video reported that riders had no other way to get to nice headquarters so walking was only option. If N27 is available why would they all walk? Long Island bus riders union does stand up for the passengers. I think nice bus shouldn't raise the fare, how will peolle

On Long Island be able to afford the extra 25 cents?

The news video reported that riders had no other way to get to nice headquarters so walking was only option. If N27 is available why would they all walk? Long Island bus riders union does stand up for the passengers. I think nice bus shouldn't raise the fare, how will peolle

On Long Island be able to afford the extra 25 cents?

Sometimes n27 bus cannot get to 4pm meeting ontime and sometimes depends on crowds, sometimes it could be fiinish at 5:00~5:30pm. One time with my orange vest, I had to cut in front of train to catch n27 Hempstead bus or if I waited for next bus, I might have missed public hearing.

Famous, would you & the Long Island bus riders union be able to find a bus that is pulling Into the bus depot maybe that would be easier than taking N27 bus or walking along a dangerous 8 lane highway that doesn't have walk signals, remember safety comes first. One nice female cute nice bus driver offered me a ride on her bus she had a pull in trip from flushing she take lie I took her offer & her her drop me off at Springfield blvd & she gave me free transfer back to flushing I took q27 it was a great experience riding on a empty bus

& famous is public hearing open to the general public it is it only Long Island bus rider union members? I would like to show nice bus how filty & dirty the busses are. Honestly a ride is not worth $2.50

TO make easier so libru can get it though there heads.you go HTC transit hop on N16 N35 N6X correct me if it still goes there next month.And couple of buses that go to ncc or better take the n70 n71 n72 and tell libru how safe it is to cross Hempstead turnpike America's dangerous road to oak street and Stewart avenue.See not so hard isn't john yugi and news12/newsday who gives libru so much fame cause they don't need it.

Most Long Island roads are not people friendly, most major roads are like highways with 4 to 8 lanes of traffic to cross without a walk signal, maybe that walk to nice bus head quarters will show the public how dangerous li roads are to cross , I support traffic signals having red lights at both sides so people can safely cross on green without worrying a turning car will hit them.

Actually Hempstead Turnpike was graded by Tri-State Transportation Campaign's dangerous intersection, so NYSDOT put safety median on parkway.

Another dangerous intersection is William Floyd Bennet Parkway/Montauk Highway, 9-lanes each direction only on William Floyd Parkway and near Mastic-Shirley Station.

I think Long Island roads should be 25 MPH like all nyc roads, & the key in reducing speed is reducing the amount of lanes, if they made Hempstead turnpike & sunrise hwy two lanes each & one bike / walking lane speed would be reduced, famous did you know if a person gets hit by a car going 20 MPH there is a 75% chance he/ she will live as speed goes over 25mph there is a 90% chance you won't make it. NYC vision zero should go to NY state it is saving lives.

I think Long Island roads should be 25 MPH like all nyc roads, & the key in reducing speed is reducing the amount of lanes, if they made Hempstead turnpike & sunrise hwy two lanes each & one bike / walking lane speed would be reduced, famous did you know if a person gets hit by a car going 20 MPH there is a 75% chance he/ she will live as speed goes over 25mph there is a 90% chance you won't make it. NYC vision zero should go to NY state it is saving lives.

If they made those road two lanes each with a bike lane, traffic would never move.