Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They got the outdoor trolley last year and the green gillig trolley in april. number 181.The fleet numbers are 150 151 152 para transit buses.169-172 35 foot 2014 gillig brt hybrid also the old and only 172 gillig phantom  stays in the garage.177-178 gillig 30 foot foot brt hybrid 179 gillig trolley 180 out door trolley and 181 green gillig trolley. 

2015 Vision Long Island Growth Award goes to LI Job with Justice/LIBRU.

Back to NICE Bus, 4:45pm n15 Roosevelt Field that was suppose to arrive Rockville Cetre Station at 5:22pm never show up, so I missed Nassau County Legislator Seira Boyne's presentation about NICE Bus and Taxi because I had to type my proposal at Hempstead Library.

Edited by FamousNYLover

The buses are more dirty more than ever, does nice bus have people clean the buses at night? The buses have garbage on the floor, fast food wrappers and bags and soda cups, I even seen beer bottles and cans in the back. These buses need to be sweep clean every day. What am I paying $ 2.75 for?

The buses are more dirty more than ever, does nice bus have people clean the buses at night? The buses have garbage on the floor, fast food wrappers and bags and soda cups, I even seen beer bottles and cans in the back. These buses need to be sweep clean every day. What am I paying $ 2.75 for?

It still wouldn't work most of bus riders just like to loiter because most of riders Chinese and Spanish residents could be illegal immigrants.

They even trash in front of police stations. Even the business people in LIRR don't bother throwing their garbage either.

NICE sucks.

It's the price you pay for living in (or near) the mother of all suburbs without a car.

Long Island needs better ontime, more reliable bus service, From what I been noticing on the N20, I see a bus dropping people off on Roosevelt ave, and he then goes right to pick us up at the bus stop, doesn't these bus drivers get a break? such long route I am surprised these drivers don't have at least 5 minutes at the end to stretch there legs.

Long Island needs better ontime, more reliable bus service, From what I been noticing on the N20, I see a bus dropping people off on Roosevelt ave, and he then goes right to pick us up at the bus stop, doesn't these bus drivers get a break? such long route I am surprised these drivers don't have at least 5 minutes at the end to stretch there legs.

They should be, though depending on Veolia practices/policy's. Some companies policy's are if the driver is late then they lose their break so they are running close to the schudule time or to make up time. 

As for better on time service, try telling people with cars not to drive their cars and take Transit. I bet nearly half of all bus delays are because of traffic.

Car free day usually means nice buses are packed allow extra travel time. If we had less cars on li, more people would ride the bus, but first we need more reliable and ON TIME bus service, if schedule says 7pm bus he should be there at 7pm that's my two cents

Car Free Day is also mean to take NICE Bus, Suffolk County Transit, Huntington Area Rapid Transit, City of Long Beach Bus, Hampton Jitney, 7Bus, Long Island Railroad, Carpool, Bike, Telecommute.

I personality believe a bus fare on li should be one dollar, with a one dollar bus fare you would have more bus riders & way less cars on the road

It would still take more than an hour to get anywhere.  The expresses are only on a few select Queens routes and only run during the rush.

I personality believe a bus fare on li should be one dollar, with a one dollar bus fare you would have more bus riders & way less cars on the road

I don't think that you can keep the level of service Nassau has now, or even what it was when the MTA operated the system with $1.00 fare. As a case in point Suffolk's fare was $1.50 for nearly twenty years, and they have no Sunday Service, very little late night service and nearly all routes have hourly headway. 

What makes li bus service slow is the cars expecially on northern blvd, the city and Nassau should install a bus lane only for buses, put this lane on the right side along the sidewalk, get rid of the parking spots, make it buses only. bus lanes make buses move faster

Bus lanes could help, probably never going to happen. First off because in some places the roadway is only one lane in each direction, widening a road for a deicated bus lane would take time and money, which people do not like. Not to mention having to re do sidewalks. (When they wisened Montauk Hwy in my area widen the road a few inches to make a continuis turning lane, they had to redo all the sidewalks, or put them in, and had to set them back a foot from where they had been taken a foot from some stores parking lots.)  People and stores would not like losing their street side parking, not to mention in those villages that have those spaces metered would not like losing the income just so bus riders can have their own lane. And to deticate a bus lane in a place that has muiltiple lanes for traffic would just add to the traffic. Not to mention how do you enforce such a thing.

If anyone deserves a deticated lane on Long Island, it should be the Volunteer Fire Departments and other emergency respnders. (Now on that I'm bais as I have had family members who have been volunteers, one of which was serverly injured while responding to a fire in a fire truck with it's lights and sirens on.) 

As long as people can drive, own a vehicle, car pool, ride a bike, or walk; nobody is going to care about transit nor do anything to make it better.