Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I believe you mean Oakland Gardens, correct? That's not Springfield Gardens, I know because I live in Springfield Gardens. Springfield Gardens is where the 77 goes, not to where your "Q88" goes. And as Threxx said, there are elderly ppl that live in that particular area, why take a bus from them that close to them and making them walk when they are weak, at least you are providing an alternative, but still... Also the transfer may make them spend more for the fare, if they are coming from the subway. They would have to do train -> Q88 -> Q72 -> Q58, for example, which is an extra 2.25$ the rider is paying as opposed to just doing train then Q38

If they're going to the train, they would just take the Q58 to Grand Avenue. Why bother with all that transferring?

In any case, I think something should still serve the portion of the Q38 near LeFrak, but I'm not sure if the Q52 would be the best candidate. Maybe the Q21, since it's a local, and I think those riders prefer limited service, so the Q52 should start right there so as not to be delayed (though if it's gets caught in traffic on the turnaround, the extension might not make much of a difference)

I don't particularly like the idea of extending one of those routes to LeFrak, but I obviously don't like the current Q38 route and can't think of a better way to split it. The only other route I can think of extending would be the B57, but obviously being a long route that goes through Downtown Brooklyn, you don't want to delay it further extending it that deep into Queens.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're going to the train, they would just take the Q58 to Grand Avenue. Why bother with all that transferring?

In any case, I think something should still serve the portion of the Q38 near LeFrak, but I'm not sure if the Q52 would be the best candidate. Maybe the Q21, since it's a local, and I think those riders prefer limited service, so the Q52 should start right there so as not to be delayed (though if it's gets caught in traffic on the turnaround, the extension might not make much of a difference)

I don't particularly like the idea of extending one of those routes to LeFrak, but I obviously don't like the current Q38 route and can't think of a better way to split it. The only other route I can think of extending would be the B57, but obviously being a long route that goes through Downtown Brooklyn, you don't want to delay it further extending it that deep into Queens.

I agree w/the fact that something needs to serve the near LeFrak part of the Q38. I have been told that Q38 comes late and gets delayed on those side streets in Juniper Valley (They are very narrow, so say if there was a double parked car or a garbage truck, the bus would have a hard time going around it), so the Q52 or even the Q21 would give those riders a quicker route. And the Q58 is a walk from LeFrak and is packed, thats why I am against trying to shift ridership to it.... I think that the Q52 wouldn't be bad, but the Q21 could be used as like another option. The less buses terminating next to QCM the better tbh

I agree w/the fact that something needs to serve the near LeFrak part of the Q38. I have been told that Q38 comes late and gets delayed on those side streets in Juniper Valley (They are very narrow, so say if there was a double parked car or a garbage truck, the bus would have a hard time going around it), so the Q52 or even the Q21 would give those riders a quicker route. And the Q58 is a walk from LeFrak and is packed, thats why I am against trying to shift ridership to it.... I think that the Q52 wouldn't be bad, but the Q21 could be used as like another option. The less buses terminating next to QCM the better tbh

why not simply extend the Q38 to flushing via rego park and be done with it.

This might sound crazy, but on the topic of splitting up the Q38, you could send the 63rd drive branch down to Broadway Junction via Fresh Pond Road and the current B20 route, and likewise cut back the B20 to Broadway Junction. You'd be giving people access to Rego Park and Queens Blvd. Unfourtentaly, there's wouldn't be any service to Forest Av (M).

This might sound crazy, but on the topic of splitting up the Q38, you could send the 63rd drive branch down to Broadway Junction via Fresh Pond Road and the current B20 route, and likewise cut back the B20 to Broadway Junction. You'd be giving people access to Rego Park and Queens Blvd. Unfourtentaly, there's wouldn't be any service to Forest Av (M).

I think the Eliot Avenue branch might be a little easier to send down, but in any case, you'd probably have to deal with NIMBYs along Eliot Avenue.

I was just thinking if the Eliot branch should still serve Metropolitan Av (M) for people coming off the (M), but they could transfer at Fresh Pond Road, so I guess it doesn't matter. And sending a Q38 branch to Brooklyn would be pretty much the same as the B20 now. It's not roundabout or anything.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I think the Eliot Avenue branch might be a little easier to send down, but in any case, you'd probably have to deal with NIMBYs along Eliot Avenue.

Either one could work in that case, the Eliot Branch actually would be easier as those buses just go straight down Fresh Pond to Myrtle then follow the B20 route, and for the 63rd Drive branch, it would just take Metro Av to fresh pond, then myrtle then B20, but I don't think that any route like that should exist, based on ridership habits and practicality.

Tbh, the ideal situation would be to just give the Q38 more service, BUT that wont fix the delays on the side streets in Juniper Valley that delay the route, unless there is a strict traffic monitoring in that area to prevent it. Thats the best bet.

Like I said, there is the 58

I see what you are saying, I can't believe that he would make the Q38 go to Flushing lol. Idk how he would route that one.

Either one could work in that case, the Eliot Branch actually would be easier as those buses just go straight down Fresh Pond to Myrtle then follow the B20 route, and for the 63rd Drive branch, it would just take Metro Av to fresh pond, then myrtle then B20, but I don't think that any route like that should exist, based on ridership habits and practicality.

Tbh, the ideal situation would be to just give the Q38 more service, BUT that wont fix the delays on the side streets in Juniper Valley that delay the route, unless there is a strict traffic monitoring in that area to prevent it. Thats the best bet.

I see what you are saying, I can't believe that he would make the Q38 go to Flushing lol. Idk how he would route that one.

Probably via HHE from Junction Blvd then via CP Blvd

That was the idea: Make it more direct.

As far as the Q38, I think the issue most people are trying to solve is its circuitousness. I mean, you could easily walk from one terminal to the other several times over before the bus could travel. Splitting it would give residents access to more places.

That was the idea: Make it more direct.

As far as the Q38, I think the issue most people are trying to solve is its circuitousness. I mean, you could easily walk from one terminal to the other several times over before the bus could travel. Splitting it would give residents access to more places.

It will copy the 88 and 58. So it's better not to extend it to flushing. Flushing is already a bus stop hell, it dont need another bus to copy part of a route.

@Q23 : Yes indeed, most ppl that go to Flushing probably wouldn't even ride it either. Tbh, the Q38 should be left alone otherwise adding service and fixing delays. After reading and reanalyzing your Q88 idea tho, it doesn't seem so bad, and I wouldn't be against it, its just that I don't think that the Q38 needs to be eliminated or rerouted.

@Checkmate : I was agreeing with the directness in your plan and just giving some examples. The thing about this route is, that nobody rides the whole route. ppl get off at intermediate points along the route (as I have seen and been told) and if you think about it, it is common sense no one is gonna take the whole route when they can walk. It serves its purpose as a sort of "loop" route...Idk about giving residents access to more places, the Q38 connects with quite a few bus routes and the trains and it doesn't take fairly long either, but I see where you are coming from..

Edited by MTAFanBoy512

If the Q88 gets sent to Middle Village or Ridgewood, it should terminate at 73rd Avenue and 188th Street. Extend the Q64 to Queens Village via. 73rd Avenue and Springfield Blvd. for the rest of the 88's service. Another option is having it terminate at Jewel Ave. and 164th St, but that would anger many QCM goers, including me.

If the Q88 gets sent to Middle Village or Ridgewood, it should terminate at 73rd Avenue and 188th Street. Extend the Q64 to Queens Village via. 73rd Avenue and Springfield Blvd. for the rest of the 88's service. Another option is having it terminate at Jewel Ave. and 164th St, but that would anger many QCM goers, including me.

I would terminate it at 73 and Springfield while the 64 terminated as well there. Q88s dump out at Springfield, so it's better to not have excess service

BUT its more DIRECT so your argument just got crushed how long does Q58 take?? ohh you do realize MTA gets away with this due to the fact most ppl do NOT have cars right.

If you're going to argue, please support your argument.

How will the 38 get to Flushing?

If you're going to argue, please support your argument.

How will the 38 get to Flushing?

I really hope he doesn't say HHE/College Point Blvd (basically mirroring the Q58)...

I would extend the Q38 to 108th if possible to provide a connection but Idk its necessary...

I would terminate it at 73 and Springfield while the 64 terminated as well there. Q88s dump out at Springfield, so it's better to not have excess service

Heres what I would do:

Q88 - stays the way it is (I know ppl who actually ride the whole route or get on at Springfield & go to Queens College)

Q64 - extend to 73rd & Springfield ; Idk if it would be bad to send some trips to QCC to supplement Q27 service but I'm not gonna mess w/that...

From the southern part of the Q38's line it will have to travel north on 108st street and then Right on the L.I.E and then get on the highway just like the Q58 and Q88 do and then follow the Q58 to Flushing. Bascially the north part of the route would have to go back on the L.I.E then turn left on Junction Blvd and then left back on the L.I.E if u are talking about the northern part on the Q38 going. But there is no need because Q58's go there and there is not much demand for a middle village/ Rego Park route to go to Flushing directly.

Heres what I would do:

Q88 - stays the way it is (I know ppl who actually ride the whole route or get on at Springfield & go to Queens College)

Q64 - extend to 73rd & Springfield ; Idk if it would be bad to send some trips to QCC to supplement Q27 service but I'm not gonna mess w/that...

Yes, I think it would be beneficial to have some weekday service to QCC for the Q64 and the Q30.

A lot of people go to QCC or Cardozo via. the Q30 and either walk the rest of the way or take the 27.

The Q30 should go to QCC during weekdays, except for late nights and early mornings, stopping at 58th Avenue and QCC, making a loop, and going back to HHE to continue its route.

The Q64 should also have some weekday service terminating at QCC via. Springfield Blvd.

I had this idea of the 64 going to the Douglaston LIRR station via. 69th/73rd Ave., 230th St, 67th Ave, 233rd st, W. Alley Rd, and Douglastion Pkwy to cover Oakland Gardens, and serve the residents of Douglaston, but I'm not sure if that would work.

EDITED: However, I don't think the Q88 should stay the way it is if it's extended via. the Q38 route, because it would be a heck of a long route.

Edited by Q64Extention