Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just in the area today as a matter of fact.... took the full 69 & walked from 82nd to 94th to catch the 72.....

as I was walking, I noticed Q33's, Q48's, and M60's were taking Astoria Blvd.... Wonder what happened as to why those buses were detouring like that.....

anyway, of course 2 WB Q19's passed by as I was walking, but no EB Q19..... Eventually got to 94th/astoria, and about 10 mins. later (2 mins before my Q72 showed up nice & empty), a crushloaded Q19 passes by..... I just shook my head....

Was just in the area today as a matter of fact.... took the full 69 & walked from 82nd to 94th to catch the 72.....

as I was walking, I noticed Q33's, Q48's, and M60's were taking Astoria Blvd.... Wonder what happened as to why those buses were detouring like that.....

anyway, of course 2 WB Q19's passed by as I was walking, but no EB Q19..... Eventually got to 94th/astoria, and about 10 mins. later (2 mins before my Q72 showed up nice & empty), a crushloaded Q19 passes by..... I just shook my head....

There was a soap box derby along 23rd Ave (my friend told me nd the MTA website confirmed it), so the 33, 48 & M60 had to be detoured on Astoria Blvd , and the Q19 has horrible headways BUT it is utilized (more than you would think), thats why it was crushloaded, I noticed when I go through that area (my school is in Astoria), I believe headways are 20 or 30 mins on weekends AND weekdays...

Uh, it is replaced by the Q49 and the M60, as shown on the map

No, the M60 definetley can't take up that slack, so no go there...

Q21 Extended to Spring Creek

Nobody is going to use that extention. You got this from the cockamamey BM5 open-door idea, which is equally as bad. No go here either...

There was a soap box derby along 23rd Ave (my friend told me nd the MTA website confirmed it), so the 33, 48 & M60 had to be detoured on Astoria Blvd , and the Q19 has horrible headways BUT it is utilized (more than you would think), thats why it was crushloaded, I noticed when I go through that area (my school is in Astoria), I believe headways are 20 or 30 mins on weekends AND weekdays...

Yes, I know about the Q19.... I used to put up w/ it during its triboro days; back when it used to terminate w/ the 19b (now 49).... Ever since it got extended to Flushing, its usage gradually increased to what it is now (it wasn't an instant success).... As cait alluded to, it's (now) used as an alternative to the 66..... But the main reason it's as used as much as it is, is for the connection to the N/Q on one end, and of course, to get to downtown flushing for all the other modes/routes there...... When it was the 19b heading EB, (it's low) ridership was spread out along the route.... heading WB, the subway was still the major stop, so to speak..... Now its EB ridership is mainly ppl gettin off b/w the 90's streets & flushing itself..... Now you even got ppl. coming off Q49's along astoria blvd seeking Q19's in either direction..... You didn't really see ppl. coming off 19b's to catch the old 19 towards the subway station back then....

It's the reason for the detour yesterday I didn't know about.... Soapbox races *shrugs*.... thought they been stopped doin that since like, the late 80's/early 90's... lol.... anyway, Thanks though.

Edited by B35 via Church

Yes, I know about the Q19.... I used to put up w/ it during it's triboro days; back when it used to terminate w/ the 19b (now 49).... Ever since it got extended to Flushing, its usage gradually increased to what it is now (it wasn't an instant success).... As cait alluded to, it's (now) used as an alternative to the 66..... But the main reason it's as used as much as it is, is for the connection to the N/Q on one end, and of course, to get to downtown flushing for all the other modes/routes there...... When it was the 19b heading EB, (it's low) ridership was spread out along the route.... heading WB, the subway was still the major stop, so to speak..... Now you even got ppl. coming off Q49's along astoria blvd seeking Q19's in either direction..... You didn't really see ppl. coming off 19b's to catch the old 19 towards the subway station then....

If anything, the Q19 should be given evening service and 15 minute headways on weekends to compensate for the new ridership base.

I also remember somebody on the bus say that the should Q34 be eliminated have the Q50 serve via Q34 route north of Main Street but then continue on Parson blvd and then regular route.

Then I heard them say the Q26 should run with the Q25 to Jamaica by first going to Flushing the way it normally does and then turn on Kissena Blvd.

To me those ideas are crazy!!

I also remember somebody on the bus say that the should Q34 be eliminated have the Q50 serve via Q34 route north of Main Street but then continue on Parson blvd and then regular route.

Then I heard them say the Q26 should run with the Q25 to Jamaica by first going to Flushing the way it normally does and then turn on Kissena Blvd.

To me those ideas are crazy!!

They know nothing about transit, those ideas were probably thought up to benifit themselves, and not taking anything else into account...

The Q26 idea holds some water though... but the Q34 thing is plain insanity...

How about extending the Q64 to Peck Park via. 73rd Avenue and 188th Street? We, residents of Fresh Meadows demand a direct service to Forest Hills. It could save people more than 10 minutes on their commute to work compared to going to Jamaica and taking the F train or going the Elmhurst and taking the M/R trains, and not many people like taking the 7 train. :ph34r:

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

I remember some time ago a few ppl. were suggesting that HHE needs its own route.... at the time, I was arguing against it (still don't think SBS should be ran along such a route though), but now this Q26 discussion made me rethink a few things..... Here's what I jotted down yesterday on my notepad while 'fanning:

- Q26, to QCC...

- Q88, have this run from queens ctr mall to little neck plaza (via HHE)....

- Q30, LIRR Jamaica to HHE/Springfield (peak hour extensions to QCC & Oakland Gdns/230th)

- Q31, LIRR Jamaica to Bayside HS

routing:

- Q26 & Q88 are straight-forward....

- Q30:

off peak Q30's from LIRR Jamaica.... regular route, then turn on union tpke, to 188th, to 73rd, to springfield, to HHE

rush hour Q30's from LIRR Jamaica.... regular route, then turn on union tpke, to 188th, to 73rd, to springfield, [to 69th, 230th, 67th, cloverdale, 69th], back to springfield, to 56th, inside QCC....

- Q31's from LIRR Jamaica.... regular route, then turn up francis lewis, to 32nd, to end on Cpl. Kennedy....

headways (in mins):

Q26 weekday: AM rush: 12, noon: 20, PM rush:20, late PM:60, hawk: n/a

Q26 sat & sun: *DOES NOT RUN*

Q88 weekday: AM rush: 5, noon: 7.5, PM rush: 5, late PM:15, hawk: 60

Q88 saturday: AM rush: 10, noon: 10, PM rush: 10, late PM:20, hawk: 60

Q88 sunday: AM rush: 17, noon: 15, PM rush: 12, late PM:20, hawk: 60

Q31 weekday: AM rush: 10, noon: 15, PM rush:15, late PM:30, hawk: n/a

Q31 saturday: AM rush: 15, noon: 20, PM rush:20, late PM:30, hawk: n/a

Q31 sunday: AM rush: 20, noon: 20, PM rush:20, late PM:30, hawk: n/a

Q30 weekday: AM rush: 10, noon: 15, PM rush:10, late PM:15, hawk: n/a

Q30 weekday [via Oakland Gdns]: AM rush: 20, noon: n/a, PM rush:20, late PM: n/a, hawk: n/a

^^ (in other words, every other rush hour bus serves Oakland Gdns)

Q30 weekday [to/from QCC]: AM rush: 10, noon: n/a, PM rush:10, late PM: n/a, hawk: n/a

^^ (in other words, every rush hour bus serves QCC)

---

Q30 saturday: AM rush: 15, noon: 15, PM rush:15, late PM:30, hawk: n/a

Q30 sunday: AM rush: 20, noon: 30, PM rush:20, late PM:30, hawk: n/a

=================

Discuss.

I remember some time ago a few ppl. were suggesting that HHE needs its own route.... at the time, I was arguing against it (still don't think SBS should be ran along such a route though), but now this Q26 discussion made me rethink a few things..... Here's what I jotted down yesterday on my notepad while 'fanning:

- Q26, to QCC...

- Q30, LIRR Jamaica to HHE/Springfield (peak hour extensions to QCC & Oakland Gdns/230th)

routing:

- Q30:

off peak Q30's from LIRR Jamaica.... regular route, then turn on union tpke, to 188th, to 73rd, to springfield, to HHE

rush hour Q30's from LIRR Jamaica.... regular route, then turn on union tpke, to 188th, to 73rd, to springfield, [to 69th, 230th, 67th, cloverdale, 69th], back to springfield, to 56th, inside QCC....

- Q31's from LIRR Jamaica.... regular route, then turn up francis lewis, to 32nd, to end on Cpl. Kennedy....

headways (in mins):

Q30 weekday [via Oakland Gdns]: AM rush: 20, noon: n/a, PM rush:20, late PM: n/a, hawk: n/a

Q30 weekday [to/from QCC]: AM rush: 10, noon: n/a, PM rush:10, late PM: n/a, hawk: n/a

---

=================

Discuss.

I would have a Q89 become the Through HHE route betwen Little Neck/Great Neck and Queens Center Mall. While the Q88 remains the same. I think HHE now warrants a 24/7 route and would be a restortation to Q30 service that lost owl service a while back. Right that part of NW Queens only has '2' 24/7 routes the Q12 and Q27.

- Q26, to QCC...

routing:

- Q30:

headways (in mins):

---

=================

Discuss.

I like these ideas. I actually always thought that the Q88 should just be on HHE to L Neck, I never understood why it went to QV... The Q30 gives Oakland Gardens some of the service lost by the ending of the Q75, which is good. The Q26 I already said is a good idea, and doesn't the Q31 already serve Bayside H.S.? Good ideas nonetheless...

How about extending the Q64 to Peck Park via. 73rd Avenue and 188th Street? We, residents of Fresh Meadows demand a direct service to Forest Hills. It could save people more than 10 minutes on their commute to work compared to going to Jamaica and taking the F train or going the Elmhurst and taking the M/R trains, and not many people like taking the 7 train. :ph34r:

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

I've always thought the same thing. I don't know where Peck Park is, but I was thinking it could go down and replace the Q75 in that area, and possibly continue on to serve QCC.

I like these ideas. I actually always thought that the Q88 should just be on HHE to L Neck, I never understood why it went to QV... The Q30 gives Oakland Gardens some of the service lost by the ending of the Q75, which is good. The Q26 I already said is a good idea, and doesn't the Q31 already serve Bayside H.S.? Good ideas nonetheless...

Yep it does, but I'm sayin it should terminate there.... The current Q31 ends over there on Francis Lewis/27th....

I'm sayin the 31 should run up francis lewis & across 32nd to terminate at Bayside HS, instead of cutting across 48th, up to bell blvd, etc. (basically taking the back route.... lol) to get to Bayside H.S, to eventually end over there a block or so away from Holy cross H.S....

Yep it does, but I'm sayin it should terminate there.... The current Q31 ends over there on Francis Lewis/27th....

I'm sayin the 31 should run up francis lewis & across 32nd to terminate at Bayside HS, instead of cutting across 48th, up to bell blvd, etc. (basically taking the back route.... lol) to get to Bayside H.S, to eventually end over there a block or so away from Holy cross H.S....

I see what you are saying, and it does make sense too because the Q31 is a weekday-only route so terminating at a school would work...

I see what you are saying, and it does make sense too because the Q31 is a weekday-only route so terminating at a school would work...

Not only that, but it would give *some* weekend service along Francis Lewis in that area towards Northern Blvd....

I've always thought the same thing. I don't know where Peck Park is, but I was thinking it could go down and replace the Q75 in that area, and possibly continue on to serve QCC.

Peck park is a few blocks north of HHE... Not somewhere I'd terminate a bus.

If the roads allowed for it, I think most of us would concur w/ sending the 64 to Oakland Gdns.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Not only that, but it would give *some* weekend service along Francis Lewis in that area towards Northern Blvd....

Considering that that northern part of F Lewis barely has bus service weekends (as the 76 has only saturday service & the 28 is on it for a short time) that could work...

And about the Fresh Meadows part, I am semifamiliar w/that area... They actually could use more service.. The main buses in that area (the Q17 & Q46) are crushloaded in the rush hours (as I have noticed; and they are kind of long too) and for those going to Manhattan, it would be more beneficial to have the bus take them to forest hills than jamaica or kew gardens as it is closer & probably takes less time... But quite a few ppl in that area take the express bus too....If the Q64 should be extended, maybe it could go to HHE/Springfield via 73 Ave & 188 St ; I don't see anywhere else to terminate it tbh...

If the roads allowed for it, I think most of us would concur w/ sending the 64 to Oakland Gdns.....

Gotcha about Peck Park.

But I don't see how the roads affect sending the Q64 to Oakland Gardens. :wacko: Can't the buses just take Jewel Avenue to straight to 73rd Avenue? (Or take Jewel-Utopia-73rd if necessary?) Those streets don't seem too narrow, or is it just a NIMBY issue?

Considering that that northern part of F Lewis barely has bus service weekends (as the 76 has only saturday service & the 28 is on it for a short time) that could work...

Q76 Saturday service was cut...

Gotcha about Peck Park.

But I don't see how the roads affect sending the Q64 to Oakland Gardens. :wacko: Can't the buses just take Jewel Avenue to straight to 73rd Avenue? (Or take Jewel-Utopia-73rd if necessary?) Those streets don't seem too narrow, or is it just a NIMBY issue?

Q76 Saturday service was cut...

Jewel becomes a one way after 164th Street, so Jewel-Utopia-73rd Avenue would be the route the bus has to take & my mistake....

Gotcha about Peck Park.

When I said the roads won't allow for it, I meant Jewel av becomes one-way EB east of 164th... which is exactly why the current Q64 uses 164th as a turnaround to get back to Jewel (WB)....

I suppose buses can run along jewel (both directions), on down to 164th & across 73rd, but I see NIMBY issues stemming from that.... I wasn't thinkin about road narrowness at all....

Another negative I see stemming from a Q64 extension would be a decrease in service levels... Noooo way would they have buses running to/from Oakland Gardens every 4-5 mins during the rush (hell, even the 12 min midday headways).... not to mention the addition of all those buses along 73rd (considering the part the Q88 runs along)...... something would have to give.....

When I said the roads won't allow for it, I meant Jewel av becomes one-way EB east of 164th... which is exactly why the current Q64 uses 164th as a turnaround to get back to Jewel (WB)....

I suppose buses can run along jewel (both directions), on down to 164th & across 73rd, but I see NIMBY issues stemming from that.... I wasn't thinkin about road narrowness at all....

Another negative I see stemming from a Q64 extension would be a decrease in service levels... Noooo way would they have buses running to/from Oakland Gardens every 4-5 mins during the rush (hell, even the 12 min midday headways).... not to mention the addition of all those buses along 73rd (considering the part the Q88 runs along)...... something would have to give.....

I figured while I was at it, I might as well check out the proposal before with the Q26/30/31/88.

In any case, I'd do your plan with the Q88 (Queens Center to Little Neck), and then the Q64 replaces the Q88 on 73rd Avenue at a similar frequency (so they'd get 12 minute service off-peak, and then the buses that currently start at 164th Street in the AM rush would start in Oakland Gardens. In the PM rush, I'd just extend every other bus to Oakland Gardens)

With the Q64 serving Oakland Gardens, your Q30 doesn't have to meander around and serve it, and can just have all runs go straight up Springfield Blvd to QCC.

I'd prefer to have the Q30 keep its current route until Springfield Blvd, but I can see where you're going with taking 73rd Avenue (trying to recreate the Q75. The thing is that the route didn't have much ridership, but maybe since it would go to QCC, that would change).

I like the Q31 reroute, but I'm just throwing it out there (not accusing you of anything), I don't think it should serve as any replacement for the Q76

That Q88 from Little Neck to Queens blvd can create problems too. Do you really want to ride a bus that long distance. I don't really see the need for it except for rush hours.

That Q30 that will go to QCC is not nesseary and will only lower the ridership. I don't think any buses should go to Oakland gardens because ridership wasn't up there. If the Q75 which took about 15-20 mins to get to 179st station F train and still had poor ridership what makes you think people want to spend an extra 15 more minutes to go to the forest Hills station. I do agree that the Q64 should have gotten extended past it's current terminal but finding a good one is hard.

Some of my plans were to send the Q64 down to Union turnpike even though I have no ideas where it would turn around at.

Then another one to extend it to 188 st via 164st and Horace Harding expressway. Not only it will provide fresh meadow riders a connection to the forest hills train station but it also help people get to the schools over there like Ryan, Francis Lewis, St Francis prep. This could relieve the pressure on the Q17 and Q88.

I figured while I was at it, I might as well check out the proposal before with the Q26/30/31/88.

In any case, I'd do your plan with the Q88 (Queens Center to Little Neck), and then the Q64 replaces the Q88 on 73rd Avenue at a similar frequency (so they'd get 12 minute service off-peak, and then the buses that currently start at 164th Street in the AM rush would start in Oakland Gardens. In the PM rush, I'd just extend every other bus to Oakland Gardens)

With the Q64 serving Oakland Gardens, your Q30 doesn't have to meander around and serve it, and can just have all runs go straight up Springfield Blvd to QCC.

I'd prefer to have the Q30 keep its current route until Springfield Blvd, but I can see where you're going with taking 73rd Avenue (trying to recreate the Q75. The thing is that the route didn't have much ridership, but maybe since it would go to QCC, that would change).

I like the Q31 reroute, but I'm just throwing it out there (not accusing you of anything), I don't think it should serve as any replacement for the Q76

Points taken.... I'll say this though:

1) I'm not objecting wanting to extend the 64, but I wouldn't have the 30 continue to run along HHE, with the altered 88 running along HHE also.... I think the 17 should be the only other route using HHE, not how things currently are w/ the 17, 30, and 88 utilizing different parts of HHE ...

2) You say you'd keep the current 30 until Springfield..... What would you do w/ it past that point?

3) The 31 has nothin to do w/ the 76, so I agree with what you say you're not accusing me of.....

That Q88 from Little Neck to Queens blvd can create problems too. Do you really want to ride a bus that long distance.

Same argument can be made for the Q46....

That Q30 that will go to QCC is not nesseary and will only lower the ridership. I don't think any buses should go to Oakland gardens because ridership wasn't up there. If the Q75 which took about 15-20 mins to get to 179st station F train and still had poor ridership what makes you think people want to spend an extra 15 more minutes to go to the forest Hills station.

A bus towards QCC from that direction I think would catch on; don't see how a 1 seat ride to QCC would lower ridership.... and no, ridership wasn't booming in Oakland Gardens, but I don't think they should be left with nothing either....

Not that I'm advocating for that 64 extension, but an addition of 15 mins or whatever to get to Forest Hills (compared to riding the 75 to 179th) sure as hell beats however long they had to wait for the 75 to even come....