Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Points taken.... I'll say this though:

1) I'm not objecting wanting to extend the 64, but I wouldn't have the 30 continue to run along HHE, with the altered 88 running along HHE also.... I think the 17 should be the only other route using HHE, not how things currently are w/ the 17, 30, and 88 utilizing different parts of HHE ...

2) You say you'd keep the current 30 until Springfield..... What would you do w/ it past that point?

3) The 31 has nothin to do w/ the 76, so I agree with what you say you're not accusing me of.....

Same argument can be made for the Q46....

A bus towards QCC from that direction I think would catch on; don't see how a 1 seat ride to QCC would lower ridership.... and no, ridership wasn't booming in Oakland Gardens, but I don't think they should be left with nothing either....

Not that I'm advocating for that 64 extension, but an addition of 15 mins or whatever to get to Forest Hills (compared to riding the 75 to 179th) sure as hell beats however long they had to wait for the 75 to even come....

Yeah I kinda agree on you with that you would probably be at forest hills faster then it took for 1 Q75 to come. Now with Oakland Garden maybe it should of been kept but rush hours only because that was the only time the route got crowded. Now with that Q30 thing people are not going to want to ride to QCC just to satisfy all of you who want a route closer to you. Think about the people. Ur just going to get them all mad because you took their one seat ride to Jamaica. Now you all are making people's trip complicated and are making them either have to transfer or go to the wood haven station which is not even express have them wait for the slow R train or M and still make them wait for E or an F.

Thats why my Q64 plan to Fresh meadows 188st will kinda work because ur bringing those riders to both an express and local station.

Now the problem will be is that there will be 4 routes on HH expressway but it shouldn't matter as long as ppl get to where they want.

Edited by College Pt Man

I didn't understand why the Q23 went down Woodhaven, so I would. How would it be routed ?

The Q23 terminates at Union Turnpike across from the shopping strip. There is no other to get the bus, only option is Woodhaven Blvd and it's for like 2 mins.

Yeah I kinda agree on you with that you would probably be at forest hills faster then it took for 1 Q75 to come. Now with Oakland Garden maybe it should of been kept but rush hours only because that was the only time the route got crowded.

Now with that Q30 thing people are not going to want to ride to QCC just to satisfy all of you who want a route closer to you. Think about the people. Ur just going to get them all mad because you took their one seat ride to Jamaica. Now you all are making people's trip complicated and are making them either have to transfer or go to the wood haven station which is not even express have them wait for the slow R train or M and still make them wait for E or an F.

Thats why my Q64 plan to Fresh meadows 188st will kinda work because ur bringing those riders to both an express and local station.

Now the problem will be is that there will be 4 routes on HH expressway but it shouldn't matter as long as ppl get to where they want.

For one, I always think about the riders when I come up w/ these things..... So just dead the commentary alluding to the contrary right there.....

Anyway, I am not trying to add routes along HHE; there are too much people transferring b/w buses along the HHE as it is....

Yeah this defines the majority of riders in most cases on most routes, but it's not always about gettin to/from the subway - There are intra-Queens riders that aren't comin off trains that have to be considered too (so much for not thinkin about the riders)... Furthermore, I don't know what you're ranting about, talkin about wantin a route closer to me - I don't attend QCC..... Regarding the 30, yeah those people that would be "mad"; never denied that.... No plan pleases everyone (you saying "kinda work", regarding your 64 plan is acknowledgment of that fact)...

Changing routes around doesn't automatically equal making people's trips complicated.... That is assuming people are satisfied w/ the way things are now, which I really don't think is the case.... I don't care much for the stipulation set by the MTA w/ that whole cost neutrality bit, but route changes can't be only extension based either.....

You're free to disagree, and I don't have a problem with that..... But I'm still sayin a 1 seat ride from Jamaica to QCC isn't the worst thing in the world, especially when you have people walking to the Q30 & xferring to the Jamaica bound Q17 enough as it is - to avoid boarding a bus filled with st johns & francis lewis HS students.... Not just QCC riders, but riders coming from points east of springfield blvd that use the 30 also fall into this category..... you wouldn't think riders would xfer b/w those 2 routes since they both go to Jamaica, but it is done.....

Your particular plan involving the Q64 I have no comment on.

I didn't understand why the Q23 went down Woodhaven, so I would. How would it be routed ?

See petabread's reply below, and my reply to it...

The Q23 terminates at Union Turnpike across from the shopping strip. There is no other to get the bus, only option is Woodhaven Blvd and it's for like 2 mins.

Yep, that shopping strip, but moreso for the folks that live in the forest view co-ops down there.....

Does anyone like the idea of rerouting the Q23 off Woodhaven Boulevard in Forest Hills

Considering what was just stated above, no I don't....

It would go : 71 Avenue, right on Metro, slight left on Cooper, then left on 88, left on Union to the crescent apts.

Also, I would make the QM12 run on copper from Yellostone, and follow the Q23 route from 88 street when it goes toward Queens, instead of walking to Woodhaven Blvd to a subway. I would also eliminate the loop of the 2 routes by going on 88 street. Woodhaven is congested enough. Although its a shorter path , it's not the quickest path

It would go : 71 Avenue, right on Metro, slight left on Cooper, then left on 88, left on Union to the crescent apts.

Also, I would make the QM12 run on copper from Yellostone, and follow the Q23 route from 88 street when it goes toward Queens, instead of walking to Woodhaven Blvd to a subway. I would also eliminate the loop of the 2 routes by going on 88 street. Woodhaven is congested enough. Although its a shorter path , it's not the quickest path

I thought buses on the Q30 already do school trippers from QCC

They do school trippers for Cardozo (58th/springfield)....

I would reroute it Down 88 street. It's a wide street with no current bus route along it.

On the surface, it's not too bad an idea...... you raise a point about how congested woodhaven tends to get on the overpass (b/w met. av & union tpke)

The million dollar questions are:

1) what's on 88th st that's worth adding more mileage to the Q23?

2) how often are buses getting stuck on woodhaven enough to have buses take on such a re-route?

think very hard here Q26 will meander to hollis ct and lie then backtrack to QCC via frances lewis and Q27 routing. How does this make sense? why would ppl use a slower rte to QCC unless you route it via LIE but the Q30 and Q27 render that redundant. why not enhance Q27 if you want another route to QCC then modify one that is not from flushing. All you will do is make Q26 easier to cut as mta will call duplicate alert

They do school trippers for Cardozo (58th/springfield)....

On the surface, it's not too bad an idea...... you raise a point about how congested woodhaven tends to get on the overpass (b/w met. av & union tpke)

The million dollar questions are:

1) what's on 88th st that's worth adding more mileage to the Q23?

2) how often are buses getting stuck on woodhaven enough to have buses take on such a re-route?

1. Well 88 street will be a faster route than Woodhaven, even though it's not the shortest in terms of mileage. Besides, people along 88 street have at least some sort if transportation

2. Some buses take up to ten minutes when ts hell between Metro and Union Tpkr, which is one fifth of the routes schedule. Run it on 88 street and the bus will be faster than on Woodhaven

think very hard here Q26 will meander to hollis ct and lie then backtrack to QCC via frances lewis and Q27 routing. How does this make sense? why would ppl use a slower rte to QCC unless you route it via LIE but the Q30 and Q27 render that redundant. why not enhance Q27 if you want another route to QCC then modify one that is not from flushing. All you will do is make Q26 easier to cut as mta will call duplicate alert

Yeah, I don't agree with running it down hollis ct & back up francis lewis to QCC either.... that's Q23's idea....

I would simply move it off hollis ct & have it parallel/help out the 27....

The current 26 now makes the route easier to cut..... If the Q26 to QCC would give the MTA a reason to trim some 27 service, they would not object to that at all.....

1. Well 88 street will be a faster route than Woodhaven, even though it's not the shortest in terms of mileage. Besides, people along 88 street have at least some sort if transportation

2. Some buses take up to ten minutes when ts hell between Metro and Union Tpkr, which is one fifth of the routes schedule. Run it on 88 street and the bus will be faster than on Woodhaven

I heard you the first time when you said it'll be faster on 88th... lol....

#1... ok, but you can say that for any street that doesn't have direct bus service....

#2... doesn't answer the question....

You're telling me how long the delay can get & comparing that number to the route's headways.... that's apples & oranges....

Edited by B35 via Church

By the time the Q23 reaches Union Tpkr, it will bunch in pairs of 3 by the other side of the overpass. Meanwhile, 88 street makes these delays less. The 23 is already delayed by the Lights on Queens Blvd, and I constantly see pairs of two by Queens Blvd. However, Weekends, the buses tend to come in pairs of 2 for some reason at times. The delays

Are solved on 88, and Bascially what I've said earlier

Besides, that's the detours when a "gridlock" in Woodhaven Blvd. That jasent happened before, but it may happen anytime. I was on the 53 the other day, and there was a 23 in front. The bus took too long the get to the left lane, and as a result, the Q53 was delayed, and we had to wait for the next light. On top of that, a Q11 and BM5 were in back. This doesn't only make congestion it's own line. It creates a conga line when it's congested to the peak

Edited by Q23 Central Term

Yeah, I don't agree with running it down hollis ct & back up francis lewis to QCC either.... that's Q23's idea....

The current 26 now makes the route easier to cut..... If the Q26 to QCC would give the MTA a reason to trim some 27 service, they would not object to that at all.....

But isn't the point of the Q26 to serve Hollis Court Blvd? I mean, in that case, it's basically a short-turned Q27 that happens to go on Parsons Blvd (I think that's the right street. I don't feel like looking at a map)

But isn't the point of the Q26 to serve Hollis Court Blvd? I mean, in that case, it's basically a short-turned Q27 that happens to go on Parsons Blvd (I think that's the right street. I don't feel like looking at a map)

Yes you're correct, and yes it would be a short turned Q27 basically that would ease over crowding ..

ohh FYI another use for Q26 via frances lewis to SE queens easier connections to flushing from NICE that speed of Q26 would come in handy if connecting from NICE N22,24,6& 1(rush hrs) did you think about that when factoring it food for thought.

NICE already has an easy connection to Flushing. Its called take the N1, 6, 22, and 24 to the 165th Street Terminal and transfer for the Q17.

Yes you're correct, and yes it would be a short turned Q27 basically that would ease over crowding ..

In that case, you might as well just have the buses follow the full Q27 route (don't take Parsons Blvd) and then label them as Q27 short-turns.

I dunno. I don't really like the idea of leaving the area around where the Q26 terminates without a bus to Flushing.

In that case, you might as well just have the buses follow the full Q27 route (don't take Parsons Blvd) and then label them as Q27 short-turns.

I dunno. I don't really like the idea of leaving the area around where the Q26 terminates without a bus to Flushing.

That could work. Its not a bad idea. On Hollis Ct Blvd, do many ppl board the Q26s? If many ppl don't board there, then it wouldn't be such a bad idea to take Q26s off of Hollis Court Blvd.

Supposedly....

Q27 already runs at like 3-4 min headways during the rush, and somethin like 7-8 around noon.... The Q26 gets to 46th much quicker than the 27 does anyway (this is one reason why I'm proposing what I am w/ the 26, instead of simply adding more 27 service).....

It's no accident that they kept the 26 around (instead of having it dealt the same fate as the 75 & the 79).... and if you ask me, it's only to assist the 27 during the rush.... Which is the way it's used.... Look at the current times it runs & the headways which it runs at.....

That could work. Its not a bad idea. On Hollis Ct Blvd, do many ppl board the Q26s? If many ppl don't board there, then it wouldn't be such a bad idea to take Q26s off of Hollis Court Blvd.

On Hollis ct? not even close to many.... I'm surprised it survived the cuts, to tell the truth....

Again, I think they kept it around to assist the 27, moreso than to maintain service along Hollis ct.....

If they didn't use the route when it ran better, then it's time to have the route be more useful somewhere's else.....

NICE already has an easy connection to Flushing. Its called take the N1, 6, 22, and 24 to the 165th Street Terminal and transfer for the Q17.

You can't be serious Q17 is CROWDED AND SLOW next. Try again with a logical statement please. Again FAST connection to flushing NOT SLOW. Fast buses take cars off the road slow buses piss ppl off.

I heard you the first time when you said it'll be faster on 88th... lol....

#1... ok, but you can say that for any street that doesn't have direct bus service....

#2... doesn't answer the question....

You're telling me how long the delay can get & comparing that number to the route's headways.... that's apples & oranges....

your kidding think about that statement you just made that is basically killing the Q26 if you do that just add more Q27s and kill Q26. A bus route has a number to Identify it's routing if a bus route does the same thing as another bus route why does it have a different number? Each route has it's own identity What is the point of calling Q26 Q26 if all it does is copy the Q27 to QCC why even bother having the Q26 designation? It's like having the Q1 run the same route as Q36 the whole way and saying it's number is different that is pointless. A bus that completely duplicates another is useless except local/LTD pairings but that isn't the case here. You know how MTA deals with duplicates that would make cutting Q26 super easy cause they will say IT DUPLICATES Q27!!!!