LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the Elmhurst and Corona stations should be reopened to relieve crowding on the 7.

Also, I think the MTA should lower fares within NYC for MNRR and LIRR to equal the Subway fare or maybe $3, to encourage people to use the LIRR/MNR instead of the subways in order to relieve crowding. This would help for the Flushing and QBL Lines.

The commuter rails purpose is to serve the burbs and not the city. Now reopening Elmhurst is an idea that has been floating around since the community has shown interest but you better believe they will not lower their fares to subway standards. The pols and the people on LI will have a fit .

The Great Neck local trains are already overcrowded during rush hour. There's no way they could support an additional Elmhurst ridership.

The Great Neck pocket track extension is essentially going to allow double the service once East Side Access opens, so it's not as if an Elmhurst or Corona station is a forgone possibility.

An Elmhurst station could also potentially connect to the Queens Boulevard local, which is an added plus.

The commuter rails purpose is to serve the burbs and not the city. Now reopening Elmhurst is an idea that has been floating around since the community has shown interest but you better believe they will not lower their fares to subway standards. The pols and the people on LI will have a fit .

Dude the only LIRR lines that serve several queens stations at once are the Hempstead, Far rockaway ,& Long beach and port Washington with the exception of the port Washington how many LIers are on the Hempstead, Far rockaway and Long beach lines compared to the big fish KO, Huntington & Babylon/Montauk lines? exactly. Not much plus how many Babylon trains actually stop in eastern queens & how many main line trains stop in eastern queens ohh Jamaica doesn't count that's a transfer station Nuff said. The lines that do stop in eastern queens other than port Washington are lucky to even have offpeak service and are small fry not worth having any say in service within the city that logic of keeping fares inflatedly high is utter BS any who oppose lowering city fares need to STFU cause that's what keeps the dinky lines alive.

I think that the Elmhurst and Corona stations should be reopened to relieve crowding on the 7.

Also, I think the MTA should lower fares within NYC for MNRR and LIRR to equal the Subway fare or maybe $3, to encourage people to use the LIRR/MNR instead of the subways in order to relieve crowding. This would help for the Flushing and QBL Lines.

Only thing I agree with is fare adjustment 2 new stations does the port Washington line need to get any slower? NO!!!! Just NO

Dude the only LIRR lines that serve several queens stations at once are the Hempstead, Far rockaway ,& Long beach and port Washington with the exception of the port Washington how many LIers are on the Hempstead, Far rockaway and Long beach lines compared to the big fish KO, Huntington & Babylon/Montauk lines? exactly. Not much plus how many Babylon trains actually stop in eastern queens & how many main line trains stop in eastern queens ohh Jamaica doesn't count that's a transfer station Nuff said. The lines that do stop in eastern queens other than port Washington are lucky to even have offpeak service and are small fry not worth having any say in service within the city that logic of keeping fares inflatedly high is utter BS any who oppose lowering city fares need to STFU cause that's what keeps the dinky lines alive.

Lol money talks and there is more money out on the Island then Queens. You can think however you think but it's the people who are paying the commuter taxes and high LI taxes that the RR listen too. Have you ever rode the 7 train lately? Can you imagine the uprise if the RR lower their prices to cater to them or Metro North would for the Bronx residents? That's just the world we live in. Sad to say most of these commuters hate riding with their own fellow commuters , it would kill them to ride with the subway crowd. They feel if you want to ride the RR then pay what I pay. Edited by LIRR 154

After taking the LIRR from Patchogue to Hunterspoint Avenue a couple of times this month for some business in Manhattan, I can agree with Patrick at LIRR Today that it's a station that's horribly underserved and should get more service as a major City Terminal. I loved being able to catch the 7 just a block away. Why does the LIRR use it's Long Island City stations so sparingly? I hope that when East Side Access opens they won't be dropped all together, because I know for a fact Montauk trains won't run to Grand Central, we only get two to Penn in the very early morning as it is, I wish we had less trains to just Babylon and more to Hunterspoint Avenue.

I'm sure there's a reason why they don't run full service there, I suppose.

After taking the LIRR from Patchogue to Hunterspoint Avenue a couple of times this month for some business in Manhattan, I can agree with Patrick at LIRR Today that it's a station that's horribly underserved and should get more service as a major City Terminal. I loved being able to catch the 7 just a block away. Why does the LIRR use it's Long Island City stations so sparingly? I hope that when East Side Access opens they won't be dropped all together, because I know for a fact Montauk trains won't run to Grand Central, we only get two to Penn in the very early morning as it is, I wish we had less trains to just Babylon and more to Hunterspoint Avenue.

I'm sure there's a reason why they don't run full service there, I suppose.

Trains from diesel territory will never see the escalators of Grand Central.  The DM's are too high to squeeze through the 63rd Street Tunnels (which were designed to fit an M1 and little else), and squishing all the nescescary DM parts into an M7-sized container will be very difficult, so you won't be seeing that in our lifetimes.

I don't know what their deal is with Hunterspoint Avenue.  There are trains that go there during the off-peak periods, so it's not like they'd be putting themselves out.

606, 2764, and 506 all deadhead from LIC/HPA to Jamaica before starting their runs east.

2707, 651, and 2741 all dump their passengers at Jamaica before continuing west to LIC/HPA.

In addition, there are two additional trains that run from LIC/HPA to just Jamaica to go to one of the yards there.  Those could also easily carry passengers.

I have to say, I feel for you living all the way out in Montauk and coming into the City everyday, I don't know how you do it. I remember I was interviewing for a job in Hampton Bays and I wanted to take the train to work if I got it, but the only trains were impossible for a 9-5 job, I remember Hopstop was telling me to use the 2:15 am to get there at 3:04 for my job at 8:30, ha! I ultimately didn't get the job there, as a new driver I didn't want to do the drive anyway.

I remember I asked a few months back that when points east of Speonk gets their signals would we see the end of trains to Speonk and more trains to Montauk and you said no, because ridership didn't justify it. I have to agree now, in part because I think people further east are just used to not being able to use a train. When the last westbound train leaves at around 2:30 in the afternoon, I can see why.

I complain about trains to Babylon and having to do one long, agonizing local slog from Patchogue to Babylon followed by another even longer, agonizing local slog through every Babylon Branch station, but ultimately I feel lucky to live in Patchogue when I need the train. Since it's usually a terminal, I consider it a major hub with frequent service (I can certainly hear it from my house) and a prime candidate for future electrification like Port Jefferson. I agree though that we'll never see trains to Grand Central, I don't know what their problem is with Long Island City but I really hope they consider opening up those stations more for their Montauk Branch customers so we can have our own 'East Side Access'.

I have to say, I feel for you living all the way out in Montauk and coming into the City everyday, I don't know how you do it. I remember I was interviewing for a job in Hampton Bays and I wanted to take the train to work if I got it, but the only trains were impossible for a 9-5 job, I remember Hopstop was telling me to use the 2:15 am to get there at 3:04 for my job at 8:30, ha! I ultimately didn't get the job there, as a new driver I didn't want to do the drive anyway.

I remember I asked a few months back that when points east of Speonk gets their signals would we see the end of trains to Speonk and more trains to Montauk and you said no, because ridership didn't justify it. I have to agree now, in part because I think people further east are just used to not being able to use a train. When the last westbound train leaves at around 2:30 in the afternoon, I can see why.

I complain about trains to Babylon and having to do one long, agonizing local slog from Patchogue to Babylon followed by another even longer, agonizing local slog through every Babylon Branch station, but ultimately I feel lucky to live in Patchogue when I need the train. Since it's usually a terminal, I consider it a major hub with frequent service (I can certainly hear it from my house) and a prime candidate for future electrification like Port Jefferson. I agree though that we'll never see trains to Grand Central, I don't know what their problem is with Long Island City but I really hope they consider opening up those stations more for their Montauk Branch customers so we can have our own 'East Side Access'.

I have a "master plan" for service along the Montauk Branch that I'll put out eventually that I feel would be able to work within the means of the branch east of Speonk (ridership wise).  It includes an additional thru train or two, but it will also have several "scoots" that will run between Patchouge/Speonk and Montauk.  These trains would be timed to better suit the intra-island commuters (like the situation you mentioned in your post) who don't have to have their trains timed to be in the city by 9:00am.  More on that next week probably (and you can catch the first parts of it here)

Edited by lirr42

For this entire month and the last half of February, I've been taking Metro North to work...I feel so spoiled now lol

That must be a fortune... Lol Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Funny because I now use the Hudson Line, Harlem and New Haven Line for my tutoring sessions and the only time I enjoy riding is when I'm on the New Haven Line.  I think the seats are much more comfortable and offer more leg room.

For this entire month and the last half of February, I've been taking Metro North to work...I feel so spoiled now lol

That must be a fortune... Lol Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Funny because I now use the Hudson Line, Harlem and New Haven Line for my tutoring sessions and the only time I enjoy riding is when I'm on the New Haven Line.  I think the seats are much more comfortable and offer more leg room.

Ima guess you like them M8s don't you??? Hmmm...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ima guess you like them M8s don't you??? Hmmm... Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I do actually... I also like being able to juice up my phone (though I believe you can do it on the other lines too, but for some reason the outlets are more noticeable on the New Haven trains). Probably because I ride that line outside of the rush... The one thing that concerns me is how dirty those trains are already.  We've had a rough winter, but I hope the Metro-North cleaning crew gets back to work and starts moping the floors good and cleaning the chairs too.  Those trains are what? A year old if that?? 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Ima guess you like them M8s don't you??? Hmmm... Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I do actually... I also like being able to juice up my phone (though I believe you can do it on the other lines too, but for some reason the outlets are more noticeable on the New Haven trains). Probably because I ride that line outside of the rush... The one thing that concerns me is how dirty those trains are already.  We've had a rough winter but I have the Metro-North cleaning crew gets back to work and starts moping the floors good and cleaning the chairs too.  Those trains are what? A year old if that?? 

Y'all already know how them maintenance crews are.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That must be a fortune... LolSent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I always take the same 3:19 North White Plains train (weekdays...weekends its whatever) about 5 days a week only going to work. Coming home from work I just tough it out with the W20/X and (4) train. A $7.50 ride each time going up but its kinda worth it

I always take the same 3:19 North White Plains train (weekdays...weekends its whatever) about 5 days a week only going to work. Coming home from work I just tough it out with the W20/X and (4) train. A $7.50 ride each time going up but its kinda worth it

lol... Get ready to pay more starting next year... That $7.50 will probably be $8.25 or $8.50...

Do the Hudson & Harlem lines have electric outlets on their trains? I was looking this weekend and didn't see any like I see on the new New Haven trains.  Also, what is up with them still using those old trains on the New Haven Line? I got one today from Westchester and I was not pleased to say the least.  Dark inside and I felt like I was stuck in a time warp, not to mention that I couldn't charge my cell phone...  <_<

Do the Hudson & Harlem lines have electric outlets on their trains? I was looking this weekend and didn't see any like I see on the new New Haven trains.  Also, what is up with them still using those old trains on the New Haven Line? I got one today from Westchester and I was not pleased to say the least.  Dark inside and I felt like I was stuck in a time warp, not to mention that I couldn't charge my cell phone...  <_<

The common Harlem and Hudson Line M7's only have a few outlets in each car.  When they were built in the early 2000's it was not with the thought of everyone having a cell phone.  Being you couldn't do much more on a cell phone than make a phone call, the thought (or need) wasn't there.  In fact, the outlets that are there aren't meant to have portable electronics plugged in, one surge and your phone will be fried.  The reason for the outlets on those cars is for cleaning equipment.

The new M8's on the New Haven Line are the only cars to date that have outlets (with the proper surge protection) in every seat.

The common Harlem and Hudson Line M7's only have a few outlets in each car.  When they were built in the early 2000's it was not with the thought of everyone having a cell phone.  Being you couldn't do much more on a cell phone than make a phone call, the thought (or need) wasn't there.  In fact, the outlets that are there aren't meant to have portable electronics plugged in, one surge and your phone will be fried.  The reason for the outlets on those cars is for cleaning equipment.

The new M8's on the New Haven Line are the only cars to date that have outlets (with the proper surge protection) in every seat.

Makes sense... If you could refresh my memory, yesterday I took the Harlem line out of GCT.  They claimed the first stop would be Melrose, but we picked up in Harlem. What's the policy on that again? I was confused because I think service was hourly at that time, and I didn't understand why they wouldn't advertise the train dropping off at 125th street.  Also, wouldn't it make sense to just have hourly service at Melrose and Tremont rather than every two hours during parts of the weekend? I do see people get on at Melrose considering that service is only every two hours for parts of the weekends.  It would encourage ridership, and aside from that the stops don't take that long.  And no, I'm not going back on my original point about cutting back service to the Bronx on the Hudson Line. Morris Heights and University Heights are a joke in terms of ridership and I've started using the Hudson Line from Riverdale on weekends here and there and they're right not to give those stations that much service.  Just no point in stopping there with the one lone person getting on if that.

Makes sense... If you could refresh my memory, yesterday I took the Harlem line out of GCT.  They claimed the first stop would be Melrose, but we picked up in Harlem. What's the policy on that again? I was confused because I think service was hourly at that time, and I didn't understand why they wouldn't advertise the train dropping off at 125th street.  Also, wouldn't it make sense to just have hourly service at Melrose and Tremont rather than every two hours during parts of the weekend? I do see people get on at Melrose considering that service is only every two hours for parts of the weekends.  It would encourage ridership, and aside from that the stops don't take that long.  And no, I'm not going back on my original point about cutting back service to the Bronx on the Hudson Line. Morris Heights and University Heights are a joke in terms of ridership and I've started using the Hudson Line from Riverdale on weekends here and there and they're right not to give those stations that much service.  Just no point in stopping there with the one lone person getting on if that.

You answered your own question about Melrose and Tremont ridership at those 2 stations is abysmal and are as useless if not more so than morris heights and university heights. Those stations are very close to the subway there is literally no point in Melrose being there or Tremont. People wonder why trains even stop there that says a lot. Their only purpose is for reverse commuters to Westchester.

Don't multi-ride tickets or monthlys lower the cost? Do you commute from the bronx? Or GCT?

Also, wouldn't it make sense to just have hourly service at Melrose and Tremont rather than every two hours during parts of the weekend? I do see people get on at Melrose considering that service is only every two hours for parts of the weekends.......

.....Morris Heights and University Heights are a joke in terms of ridership and I've started using the Hudson Line from Riverdale on weekends here and there and they're right not to give those stations that much service.  Just no point in stopping there with the one lone person getting on if that.

You are only comparing one train at one stop at one time. 

As a whole Melrose and Tremont's ridership is far less than Morris and University Heights.  The trains I'm on that stop at Melrose and Tremont only one or two people get on or off if that.

The same time of day I've seen 10 to 20 get on and off at Morris and Univerisity  Heights.  But that horse has been long dead.

You are only comparing one train at one stop at one time. 

As a whole Melrose and Tremont's ridership is far less than Morris and University Heights.  The trains I'm on that stop at Melrose and Tremont only one or two people get on or off if that.

The same time of day I've seen 10 to 20 get on and off at Morris and Univerisity  Heights.  But that horse has been long dead.

Well think about it though... If you only have a train running every two hours AND it costs almost double or more for the ride vs. the subway, then naturally you discourage ridership.  The reason I'm mentioning Melrose in particular is because the South Bronx is attracting more people that could actually afford Metro-North (to my surprise lol), and I find the subway situation there to be a joke in terms of convenience, while Morris Heights and University Heights are not and remain relatively poor.  I was shocked to hear about the number of condos and co-ops in the South Bronx.  Meanwhile Morris Heights and University Heights are two of the poorest neighborhoods in New York and the country.  Melrose meanwhile gets a bad rap because of the amount of housing projects, which basically lowers the actual median income significantly.  With the kind of housing being built down there and the attempt at gentrification, you now have a varying amount of income levels.  Also, with the amount of activity Fordham gets, I would be shocked to believe that Melrose wouldn't benefit from that spill over.  You see I've been seeing hipsters and those types down there, and while I don't expect that area to become another Williamsburg, apparently it has potential, even with the hoards of housing projects and vacant lots...  Just a thought....