Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

He likes interjecting his ideas anywhere they seem to fit, pay it no mind.

The key word in there is "seem", because rarely if ever have I seen a Wallyhorse idea actually brought up by someone else.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

If you were to connect SAS and Nassau, rather than build the jughandle to Bowery, just connect it to the old eastern tracks north of Canal, and then have those connect to the older eastern ones after Canal. No need to reconfigure everything and build a jughandle to a station that is in the bottom 5 for ridership in Manhattan.

I am not advocating for this though, connecting it to Nassau makes the line less attractive and does less of a service as Nassau already gets rather low ridership in comparison to other downtown trunks.

Such a route also essentially limits the southern terminal at Broad St unless something was cut back from South Brooklyn.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2017 at 11:53 AM, Lance said:

Such a route also essentially limits the southern terminal at Broad St unless something was cut back from South Brooklyn.

That would make it a perfect terminus for the yD35xgl.png service to Queens, which would split off from the (T) after the Houston Street Station and feed into the Bowery Street Station. The former (brownM) route would be split between the yD35xgl.png to the southwest and the (M) to the northeast, no wasted trackage.

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

That would make it a perfect terminus for the yD35xgl.png service to Queens, which would split off from the (T) after the Houston Street Station and feed into the Bowery Street Station. The former (brownM) route would be split between the yD35xgl.png to the southwest and the (M) to the northeast, no wasted trackage.

Don't you think it's more useful for the city at large to have SAS link with Fulton Local? That gets you much better network integration, and increases service to a underutilized outer boroughs corridor that is poised for growth what with ENY redevelopment etc. 

Edited by RR503

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Don't you think it's more useful for the city at large to have SAS link with Fulton Local? That gets you much better network integration, and increases service to a underutilized outer boroughs corridor that is poised for growth what with ENY redevelopment etc. 

This I can agree with. The (T) and (V) would be GREAT Fulton Local services and would allow the (C) to run express to Lefferts. As for the Transit Museum in this case, I'd move it to the current Long Island City station used by the LIRR where you'd have to build a 2 or 3 floor building to store all of the artifacts and you'd have to consider sea level rise as an issue here if you want to relocate the Museum (which is what this proposal is doing). Anyways let me get a few Questions out of the way.

How are you going to move all of the Museum trains into the Subway System?

LIRR of course (the Main Line though) I don't think subways are allowed in Lower Montauk. Of course the only way for this to even be a possibility is to build the Queens Bypass or the (E) extension to Rochdale/Laurelton/Rosedale. 

What's the point ? 

To allow SAS to run Local via Fulton. Isn't this the whole point of the proposal. Also one benefit is that you'll attract more tourists that way since it is now closer to Midtown, and since @RR503 mentioned ENY Redevelopment. I go to school in that area so seeing redevelopment would be nice (I know that they're building a new school in the area and it'd be better if they built an apartment complex near Crescent St (J)(Z) which would be next to this new school. Don't believe me, go see for yourself.

What happens to the artifacts?

They get delivered to this new museum via truck, train, or whatever is best for them. 

Will the Long Island City (LIRR) station close down?

NOPE. That would be pointless. Besides, there's a ferry one block away. Only 2-4 Tracks would be reserved for this new museum. A building can be built on top of this reserved trackage which would be this new museum. The Long Island RailRoad would keep the remaining Trackage and will have a "proper" station since that area BARELY looks like a station. Besides, Long Island City, Greenpoint, and Hunts Point (Queens) is going through some really nice redevelopment, so it would be logical to relocate the transit museum.

How will people know about this new museum?

Simple. Just advertise on the (7)(G), (LIRR), and the Nearby Ferry. 

3 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

I did agree to LIC becoming a new home for the transit museum, but the major con is that there is no connection to the main subway system for fantrips. New connections would have to made to connect with the subway.  

I already covered that issue in my reply since subway trains ARE able to run on Commuter Rail Tracks, evidence http://www.nytimes.com/1964/09/10/stainless-steel-cars-to-brighten-bmt.html . Also I mentioned the Queens Bypass and The (E) Laurelton extension would have to be built under the SAS-Fulton Scenario.

But doesn't LIC have enough coverage with the (7)? Vernon-Jackson is only a few blocks away from LIC.

The (7) at Vernon-Jackson Counts. Let's not forget about Hunters Point Avenue. 

Another major con is the fact that museum trains need to be MAINTAINED. A new barn would have to be built at the site, and would involve cutting LIRR service to Penn Station. 

Maintenance could be the Least of worries since there's a nearby yard (though that requires conversion) and cutting LIRR to Penn Station wouldn't be useful unless you were to build a Transit Hub at Sunnyside Yards. (RethinkNYC reference). Also half museum - half station. We'll figure something out.

The only other logical place I can think of is... wait for it.... 76 St.

That's depends on it's existence and it's too far from Manhattan

27 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

It way a joke right, cause the info written was convincing 

....... very convincing  (suspicious face)

Yes. It's an April Fools joke. Look at the date... look at how there's no evidence outside of this article... Photoshop existed in 2002...

On 12/29/2017 at 10:38 AM, RR503 said:

I agree with this.  My plan as noted before would have it via a new Schermerhorn Street tunnel that would come in at what currently is the Transit Museum (Court Street) and then come in at Hoyt-Schermerhorn on the currently unused track/platform there and run to Euclid while the (A) and (C) both run express on Fulton. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, LGA Link N train said:

Gee, it's been nearly a month and No news on phase 2 or anything like that.

So what do you want? Cuomo or Lhota to cast a spell and show us their next plans?

Stop trying to bump these threads and be patient. When news gets released, they will be shared here. No need to remind us of these threads existing.

4 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Gee, it's been nearly a month and No news on phase 2 or anything like that.

The capital program oversight committee updates for the project are every 3 months. So the next update will be in March. The updated design and environmental review for phase 2 aren't supposed to be done until later this year/early next year anyway. 

Edited by Mysterious2train

12 minutes ago, Mysterious2train said:

The capital program oversight committee updates for the project are every 3 months. So the next update will be in March. The updated design and environmental review for phase 2 aren't supposed to be done until later this year/early next year anyway. 

Is there a place open at Madison Avenue and 125 St, I'd like to know?

17 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Still think (especially if it would be cheaper to do it) would be to leave 116 as it is and install side platforms there (or if necessary, move the 116th Street stop back or forward if needed to allow for a future break to a new line to Queens/Randalls Island from 116).  Yes, it means ADA elevators on both sides but if it cuts the cost, I would do that.

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

Something random came into mind. If the terminal for the Second Avenue subway was on 3 Av at either 138 Street or 149 Street instead of whats currently planned  (125 extension; I see the importance of this terminal and it's possible extension but I just don't advocate this)

Please complete your thought.

2 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Please complete your thought.

Well. If the terminal for the Second Avenue subway was 3 Avenue-149 Street, then you have access to the (2) and (5) , but that's not the point. What the case here would be is that if the (MTA) decided to do this, then we'd be a step close to bringing back subway service to 3 Avenue, as opposed to 125 Street which I don't advocate for, despite seeing it's importance for a possible extension.