Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but I think it would have been good to have stairs as well.  Not everyone wants to ride in an elevator (I know people who are like that and live on a low floor for that very reason) and having a stairwell there as well would have been smart.

That station is so deep that anyone taking the stairs in it is either out of their mind or training for that race up the Empire State Building. There are stairs in the station, just not at that entrance, and there are also emergency stairs so it's not as if people are going to perish in a fire.

More copper theft shenanigans 

More trouble with 86th St station 

Latest Community Board 8 presentation

Latest MTA NYCT presentation

Contract completion dates pushed back again (For comparison, look at data from 2 months ago12 months ago and 18 months ago - either way, the MTA is still aiming for a December 2016 opening)

MSNBC video of construction (although they don't seem to realize this is only Phase 1)

Edited by Mysterious2train

I hope the MTA dosen't do this to Phrase 2 (even though this probably will happen)

If this is an issue, what I would look at is a compromise that if necessary would after the existing portions already in place have the line go elevated to such a terminal at 125/Lex even if you have to possibly double deck such before turning on 125.  If that's what it takes to get the SAS built to 125, then I would do that.

honestly since there is a lot of redevelopment in the phase two are an elevated line might not be too bad as long is it done correctly. Meaning they do everything they can to reduce noise. If the MTA even gets lucky, they could have a station inside a building that built over second ave or something and the people building that build the building would pay for the station.

honestly since there is a lot of redevelopment in the phase two are an elevated line might not be too bad as long is it done correctly. Meaning they do everything they can to reduce noise. If the MTA even gets lucky, they could have a station inside a building that built over second ave or something and the people building that build the building would pay for the station.

There's no place to build a portal without reducing 2 Av by like 3-4 lanes. That won't go so well. Additionally, this is East Harlem we're talking about. At the moment, I don't believe there are people who are willing to swallow a few hundred million dollars to integrate an elevated station into a building.

Anyways, the most logical cutback would be to make 116 the terminal and just not deal with the portion to 125th. It would save the tunnel boring portion of the project and the underpinning/station work for 125th.

Personally, they all look sterile to me.

じがお。There's something in the color tone that takes away the sterility from 34th Street-Hudson Yards. Versus South Ferry which reminded me of extremely sterile and clean hospital corridors.

Then again, I'm not a fan of hospitals...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh lord, Second Av is going to turn into the next 34 St - Hudson Yards.

According to Wikipedia, it states here that 96 St, along with 86 St and 72 St will be finished by June 3 2016, but will not open until December 2015. Another fact, Lexington Av - 63 St is nearly completed according to Wikipedia with a progress of 95% completed.

The station is scheduled to be completed by June 3, 2016.[61] The station is planned to open on December 30, 2016, along with the other two stations on the Second Avenue Line.

According to Wikipedia, it states here that 96 St, along with 86 St and 72 St will be finished by June 3 2016, but will not open until December 2015. Another fact, Lexington Av - 63 St is nearly completed according to Wikipedia with a progress of 95% completed.

what are you talking about. It will be completed by December 2016, which HAS BEEN THE PLANNED DATE FOR SOME TIME.

Literally the first thing they tell you in high school or college is that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source.

Unfortunately, you are fully correct...Wikipedia doesn't report the news, it follows. Whereas the (MTA) 's official website is the bible.

Actually they've been pushed back again. Now the stations aren't supposed to be finished until the fall of next year (except 63 St, which is supposed to be finished early next year sometime). Those Wikipedia pages are constantly outdated because the MTA keeps on pushing the contract completion dates back. If you want to have the most up-to-date information, your best bet is to read through the NYCT and Bus Committee materials each month (And ctrl+f for second avenue subway) and look at the project newsletters and presentations each month.

Also, 63 St renovation is around 92 or 93% complete, not 95.

Edited by Mysterious2train