Should there be a 1-seat NJT train between NY/Newark and Philly?

Forest Park

I have rode bus service (one chinatown bus and megabus) from NYC to PHL and back, and the bus is very full either way on friday night and sunday night. Takes about 2 hours to PHL nonstop.

So the buses are crowded while the trains have mostly empty seats.

So imaging NJT and SEPTA provide one similar express train in the night? Only stopping at nyc, newark, trenton and phl, will it make additional profits for NJT charging the rate $8~12 each way as the buses?

That's what Amtrak is for. The Regionals and Acela Expresses do exactly this.

Not to mention Amtrak & (SEPTA) owns the tracks as well between Trenton andPhilly as well. I don't think Amtrak wants to lose on their most profitable coordior in their system. It would be nice if that happened or also if Amtrak became much cheaper though. :eek:

Sorry i don't think a direct (NJT) train between nyc/newark and philly is happening in near future. There actually a few riders who live in Philly or nearby area of South Jersey and Bucks/Del. Counties, Pa. who work in NYC.

Thus they should be more transit options between the 2 mega metro areas.

I remember the service Forest is asking about being run by Amtrak years ago named Clocker. When that service was canceled I also remember NJT looking to replace this service with said idea. With a $35 one way fare with reservations required on Amtrak, I doubt that they have this route "covered". With buses providing a 2 hour trip for way cheaper, it's no wonder these buses are packed. I too frequent those buses although I would rather prefer taking the train. I would like to see this rail service return.

I remember the service Forest is asking about being run by Amtrak years ago named Clocker. When that service was canceled I also remember NJT looking to replace this service with said idea. With a $35 one way fare with reservations required on Amtrak, I doubt that they have this route "covered". With buses providing a 2 hour trip for way cheaper, it's no wonder these buses are packed. I too frequent those buses although I would rather prefer taking the train. I would like to see this rail service return.

If (NJT) did ran the old clocker nyc-philly service i would add '2' additional stops. Which would be Newark/Liberty-Airport and New Brunswick.

New Brunswick 'home' for Rutgers has quiet a number of students from or near Philly attending. Then Newark Airport for Philly residents going for flights here.

So this is how it should run imo if a (NJT) clocker ran.

NYC-Penn Station

Newark-Penn

Newark/Liberty Airport

New Brunswick

Trenton

North Philly

30th Street station(Central)Phildelphia

However for reasons already given, it be a long while if ever for a NJT train between the Big Apple and City of Brotherly Love.:eek:

If (NJT) did ran the old clocker nyc-philly service i would add '2' additional stops. Which would be Newark/Liberty-Airport and New Brunswick.

New Brunswick 'home' for Rutgers has quiet a number of students from or near Philly attending. Then Newark Airport for Philly residents going for flights here.

So this is how it should run imo if a (NJT) clocker ran.

NYC-Penn Station

Newark-Penn

Newark/Liberty Airport

New Brunswick

Trenton

North Philly

30th Street station(Central)Phildelphia

However for reasons already given, it be a long while if ever for a NJT train between the Big Apple and City of Brotherly Love.:eek:

Should add Secaucus, Princeton Junction and Metropark it it to it.

I have rode bus service (one chinatown bus and megabus) from NYC to PHL and back, and the bus is very full either way on friday night and sunday night. Takes about 2 hours to PHL nonstop.

So the buses are crowded while the trains have mostly empty seats.

So imaging NJT and SEPTA provide one similar express train in the night? Only stopping at nyc, newark, trenton and phl, will it make additional profits for NJT charging the rate $8~12 each way as the buses?

$12? are you smoking crack! thats why Amtrak is for! Also Bolt Bus and Megabus!

Should add Secaucus, Princeton Junction and Metropark it it to it.
err several amtrak trains already stop there.and thanks to the harrisburg service you can now officially forget any chance the clocker service had at making a comeback now the keystone is here and with improved service over the years the clocker literally HAS NO CHANCE of returning.

$12? are you smoking crack! thats why Amtrak is for! Also Bolt Bus and Megabus!

I thought the same thing

Don't Mind Qt. A lot of people gets annoyed with him QUICKLY.

what is so annoying about stating the facts that the rail option is only practical if origin is in NJ not NYC. Meaningless post. He was just saying but ppl seriously going from NYC to philly use amtrak or greyhound/megabus done. Nothing wrong with stating the smarter option

Put a sock in it already, some ppl rather take the train over a crowded bus.
key word SOME ppl if you want train use amtrak or if you are going to a suburb in philly use the rail NJT/SEPTA or going to and from NJ then it's practical. Get on the train and see for yourself very few ppl use the NJT/SEPTA combo to go from NYC to Philly compared to amtrak and the crowded buses.

key word SOME ppl if you want train use amtrak or if you are going to a suburb in philly use the rail NJT/SEPTA or going to and from NJ then it's practical. Get on the train and see for yourself very few ppl use the NJT/SEPTA combo to go from NYC to Philly compared to amtrak and the crowded buses.

Bravo. Put a star next to that comment doctor.:P

Maybe QJ best comments on the boards so far, as i actually (a shocker)agree with that statement.:eek:

Bravo. Put a star next to that comment doctor.:P

Maybe QJ best comments on the boards so far, as i actually (a shocker)agree with that statement.:eek:

I use the NJT/SEPTA combo to reach areas in southern bucks county and link with septa buses usually from NJ. I used some 600 series lines to reach the septa trenton line. The shocker about the plans I started for upstate and NJ are based on experiences on the buses themselves and comment from people I meet and traffic patterns. I use NJT and septa so I know almost nobody going from NYC to philly even considers the NJT/SEPTA option feasible when I mention it they laugh. Also I look at the types of ppl in the towns I visit. So I look for other similar areas that are disconnected.

what is so annoying about stating the facts that the rail option is only practical if origin is in NJ not NYC. Meaningless post. He was just saying but ppl seriously going from NYC to philly use amtrak or greyhound/megabus done. Nothing wrong with stating the smarter option

You will never get it. That is why people like 553, myself, B35, and others who have been there know what is "the practical way" and "the way where we can have fun". Yes, anyone can take a bus and watch cars drive by on the Parkway and the Turnpike. Yes, anyone can take the 319 to the 551 or Megabus or Bolt or Greyhound. But people like me, 553, B35, we love the ADVENTURE. We love watching new things and experiencing different things to make the travel more enjoyable, new ways of getting there, different ways. Who cares if it's longer or if it's a little more or a little less? I sure as hell didn't when I was a driver. It's about ENJOYING THE RIDE! ENJOYING THE RIDE!

ENJOYING THE FRIGGING RIDE!

Once again.............

Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! - "Let's Be Quiet" - YouTube

Shut Up Meg! - YouTube

and my personal favorite.....

Arnold Schwarzenegger SHUTUP SHUT UP - YouTube

You will never get it. That is why people like 553, myself, B35, and others who have been there know what is "the practical way" and "the way where we can have fun". Yes, anyone can take a bus and watch cars drive by on the Parkway and the Turnpike. Yes, anyone can take the 319 to the 551 or Megabus or Bolt or Greyhound. But people like me, 553, B35, we love the ADVENTURE. We love watching new things and experiencing different things to make the travel more enjoyable, new ways of getting there, different ways. Who cares if it's longer or if it's a little more or a little less? I sure as hell didn't when I was a driver. It's about ENJOYING THE RIDE! ENJOYING THE RIDE!

ENJOYING THE FRIGGING RIDE!

Once again.............

Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! - "Let's Be Quiet" - YouTube

Shut Up Meg! - YouTube

and my personal favorite.....

Arnold Schwarzenegger SHUTUP SHUT UP - YouTube

you mad bro take a drink and chill you mad you mad cool off this ain't a volcano it's a forum!!!!!!!!!! You really need to chill I know that BUT people like you who do that for the ride are in the minority that is all I am saying. Not calling you dumb for doing it your making me bleed through the ears here.

Put a sock in it already, some ppl rather take the train over a crowded bus.

This.

You will never get it. That is why people like 553, myself, B35, and others who have been there know what is "the practical way" and "the way where we can have fun". Yes, anyone can take a bus and watch cars drive by on the Parkway and the Turnpike. Yes, anyone can take the 319 to the 551 or Megabus or Bolt or Greyhound.

But people like me, 553, B35, we love the ADVENTURE. We love watching new things and experiencing different things to make the travel more enjoyable, new ways of getting there, different ways. Who cares if it's longer or if it's a little more or a little less? I sure as hell didn't when I was a driver. It's about ENJOYING THE RIDE!

.....not to mention, just in case the mode in one's primary commute goes awry on a particular day or w/e....

This is why commuters act like fishes out of water during delays or other major disruptions in service !!

This.

.....not to mention, just in case the mode in one's primary commute goes awry on a particular day or w/e....

This is why commuters act like fishes out of water during delays or other major disruptions in service !!

That is why I use my smartphone to check traffic to decide on the proper mode to use. Not refuting your post just saying what most ppl do most of the time. However several factors can make an otherwise impractical mode practical.

I personally try to avoid SEPTA for cost purposes.

When I go to Philadelphia, I use the :nec:(Metropark or Newark) to Trenton. From Trenton, I walk to (NJT) River Line and transfer to PATCO at Walter Rand Transportation Center to get into Downtown PHL. It takes about 2 hours, but its ok with me.

The other day on Staten Island near my house, I found an Amtrak receipt on the ground, Philadelphia to MetroPark (Iselin, NJ) , $43.

When I go to Philadelphia, I use the :nec:(Metropark or Newark) to Trenton. From Trenton, I walk to (NJT) River Line and transfer to PATCO at Walter Rand Transportation Center to get into Downtown PHL. It takes about 2 hours, but its ok with me.

The other day on Staten Island near my house, I found an Amtrak receipt on the ground, Philadelphia to MetroPark (Iselin, NJ) , $43.

Wow, damn. Did you keep it? I'd like to see that if you got a scanner.

If you plan on using many SEPTA buses and trains the same day the trick is to buy the unlimited day pass for $11 it works on ALL SEPTA services. As a result you only pay for the NJT ticket then when on SEPTA buy your day pass with cash now you won't have to pay again to use SEPTA the same day limitless times that is how I pay less yes it works on regional rail the conductors almost never enforce the NJ surcharge!!!

Archived