Should there be a 1-seat NJT train between NY/Newark and Philly?

Forest Park

Ive used all three patterns to get to Philly. They all have their pros and cons.

SEPTA/NJT: This is great for the railfan in all of us. Yeah, it takes 3-3 1/2 hours. But the scenery, and of course, the rail equipment makes it a fun ride. Plus, i love how the train rocks at a station when an Acela Express passes us on the express track.

NJTrail/Riverline/Patco: Cheaper than the above. and technically, your riding on 3 forms of rail. (Commuter, Light, and .....well. PATCO is basically their version of our PATH. Plus, the RL is the only Diesel Light Rail in our area, if not the entire northeast.(please inform me if there is another. Id love to check it out!)

Bus: This one by far is my personal preference. Sure, theres Greyhound, MegaBus, Bolt, etc. But me, I take the "Chinatown bus" (Eastern/Apex) to be exact. $24 roundtrip and only two hours. Leaves me more time to enjoy Philly!!!

can we plz kill this topic its stupid rail is only good if you're going to the philadelphia suburbs. otherwise take the bus or amtrak done new jersey transit and SEPTA will never be as fast as the bus. just drop it already. I used all different services between philadelphia and new york I have been to ne philly just stop the stupidity

Your opinion man. But if you came here to troll, all i ask is WHY? I dont understand why all the bitterness, but if you have nothing in any positive way, please do not hesitate to not post. I know you get a lot of crap here, But its posts like that which adds to your rep here. And adds to the crap you receive.

The NJT - SEPTA is combo is not that bad if you take it in one direction, the return trip is the killer especially if you had a long day out in Philly.

When ya finally get back to NYP, most people gotta ride the subway for another half hour - 40 Minutes or so get home.

For any transit fan that hasn't ridden the NJT - Septa combo yet, I would suggest you do it at least once, but only in one direction and not round trip, take Amtrak or the bus back to NYC.

IIRC, there is part of the NJT NEC route where the trains go nearly 100 MPH, its on the southern end where the stations are really far apart, the Arrows don't go that fast but the ALP - 46s with either ML or Comets do.

One thing that's interesting about Amtrak is that the suspension is so good on their trains you can't even tell its going 125 MPH, when I rode it felt like 70 - 80 MPH.

Mamma Mia, not this topic again...

Either way, Amtrak North East Regional Service already covers it including other Amtrak services. SEPTA - NJT combo is already in place with a Transfer, thank god Amtrak didn't prevent it, but consider ourselves lucky already. There is again no need for an extra commuter rail parallel to Amtrak North East Regional Service & Co.

The reason NJT NEC doesn't go to 30th St. Station is because of Amtrak and SEPTA and the Pennsylvania Gov't doesn't allow it to stop at more than one station, so it's basically all SEPTA non-Trenton/non-Center City stations being skipped, also it is not feasable to fund such a service.

If you don't like SEPTA, use NJT NEC to the RiverLine and PATCO it over to Center City Philadelphia, plain and simple!

NJT-SEPTA: this was a GREAT route back when I lived in Philly[i lived in E. Mt.Airy three blocks from the R7 Stenton Station], trips to NYC was only a 2-train ride [R7 and NEC] and total time took 3 hours from house to Penn Station.

However, I moved to Collingswood, and I tried every type of combo to go to NYC; Bus to Philly, R7 then NEC, tried the 409-NEC run [excruciating bus ride], Greyhound from Mt. Laurel to NYC [too crowded, plus getting to Mt.Laurel was a bitch], and finally Greyhound from Philly[on a couple of times, I got on at Camden] to the PABT.

Then in 2004, the RiverLINE opened, and it has been my choice of travel ever since. I only pay the fare from Trenton to Newark/NYC because my bus pass covers the RL fare, and [under the non-storm modified RL Schedule] the connections were great. The only drawback was that on weekdays, I had to leave NYC early [before 7 pm] to make my connections with the last trains. On Saturdays, I had the luxury to stay later [until 10 pm]. The RiverLINE gives a much better view than the SEPTA train, and of course it is way cheaper [bus pass covers fare so it is essentially free]. To me is is a superior way to go between Philly and NYC.

Mamma Mia, not this topic again...

Either way, Amtrak North East Regional Service already covers it including other Amtrak services. SEPTA - NJT combo is already in place with a Transfer, thank god Amtrak didn't prevent it, but consider ourselves lucky already. There is again no need for an extra commuter rail parallel to Amtrak North East Regional Service & Co.

The reason NJT NEC doesn't go to 30th St. Station is because of Amtrak and SEPTA and the Pennsylvania Gov't doesn't allow it to stop at more than one station, so it's basically all SEPTA non-Trenton/non-Center City stations being skipped, also it is not feasable to fund such a service.

If you don't like SEPTA, use NJT NEC to the RiverLine and PATCO it over to Center City Philadelphia, plain and simple!

what he said if you want speed NJT/SEPTA is not for you unless your origin is in NJ in middlesex county somewhere. Or you are not going to center city.

The NJT - SEPTA is combo is not that bad if you take it in one direction, the return trip is the killer especially if you had a long day out in Philly.

When ya finally get back to NYP, most people gotta ride the subway for another half hour - 40 Minutes or so get home.

For any transit fan that hasn't ridden the NJT - Septa combo yet, I would suggest you do it at least once, but only in one direction and not round trip, take Amtrak or the bus back to NYC.

IIRC, there is part of the NJT NEC route where the trains go nearly 100 MPH, its on the southern end where the stations are really far apart, the Arrows don't go that fast but the ALP - 46s with either ML or Comets do.

One thing that's interesting about Amtrak is that the suspension is so good on their trains you can't even tell its going 125 MPH, when I rode it felt like 70 - 80 MPH.

thanks for adding practicality to this thread. I know I use it to wilmington cause there are no practical alternatives to wilmington from NYC other than amtrak. Do not even mention the bus it's schedule is HORRID

• 3 weeks later...

My only Complaint about the SEPTA R7 they should add more service. I wish I could just park in the SEPTA lot and take the train one stop since I'm by the Levittown Station but its every Hour and doesn't make the right connections and sometimes I miss the last train out of Trenton so I have to park at Trenton if I want less stress for my commute.

what he said if you want speed NJT/SEPTA is not for you unless your origin is in NJ in middlesex county somewhere. Or you are not going to center city.

:face-palm: He is clearly thinking about making NJT Operate the SEPTA Trenton Line, and there is ZERO chance of it happening unless if SEPTA magically went bankrupt.

:face-palm: He is clearly thinking about making NJT Operate the SEPTA Trenton Line, and there is ZERO chance of it happening unless if SEPTA magically went bankrupt.

I know that besides there's no way they would go bankrupt that quickly. SEPTA actually doesn't operate these at a huge loss. just their buses loose from what I heard

IMO the states should have the right to use any trackage in their state to provide passenger service on trains.

Problem is Q23, Amtrak since it founding 40 years ago, has "excuslsive" rights to all interstate train travel involving passengers nationwide. Amtrak would have to grant permission for either NJT or SEPTA(philly's version of the MTA)to run a 1-seat direct train between NYC and Philly.

LOL They got trips for about $45 one-way for Metropark-Philadelphia on Amtrak. There's no need for an NJT super-express between NYC and Philly. If you want a one seat ride to Philly then take Bolt Bus/Greyhound, Megabus, or Amtrak. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice for NJT to operate NEC service to Philadelphia, but maybe they could have some local trips run to 30th Street with a brief stop in North Philadelphia in the hour that SEPTA isn't running. Or, they could have NJT Trains run down to 30th St. as SEPTA Trains (of course after a crew change in Trenton where SEPTA employees board the NJT train), meaning they could pick SEPTA fareholders at Cornwells Heights and North Philadelphia. I'm kinda basing this off of what Amtrak does in MD. They have an Amtrak Regional train pick up MARC ticketholders at Perryville and take them south to Baltimore and Washington.

LOL They got trips for about $45 one-way for Metropark-Philadelphia on Amtrak. There's no need for an NJT super-express between NYC and Philly. If you want a one seat ride to Philly then take Bolt Bus/Greyhound, Megabus, or Amtrak. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice for NJT to operate NEC service to Philadelphia, but maybe they could have some local trips run to 30th Street with a brief stop in North Philadelphia in the hour that SEPTA isn't running. Or, they could have NJT Trains run down to 30th St. as SEPTA Trains (of course after a crew change in Trenton where SEPTA employees board the NJT train), meaning they could pick SEPTA fareholders at Cornwells Heights and North Philadelphia. I'm kinda basing this off of what Amtrak does in MD. They have an Amtrak Regional train pick up MARC ticketholders at Perryville and take them south to Baltimore and Washington.

your post is full of WIN QJT salutes you. I am in baltimore now. hehe Service exists so no need for NJT to copy

• 1 month later...

I think the best solution is Amtrak uses a regular NJT arrow, and allows regular non-schedule people on at penns station, then it goes trenton express like to trenton, then goes philly express to 30th street. I mean its the same concept and doesnt mess with amtrak, there no interfernce with amtrak, and septa trains could be used eastbound to nyc, All local from NYC to Philly would work for some people and it would get more business and people off the bus.

Face it, unless Amtrak needs to cut service due to whatever might come their way unexpectedly (budget cuts or other issues), NJT will never have train service from NY to Philly. It's Amtrak's and will always be Amtrak's. And I don't expect Amtrak to share. The day they decide to share their line with NJT, it'll be the day NJT allows Amtrak to stop at Secaucus Junction and service passengers there. That is also a possible gold mine for those that do not want to travel to Penn Station to Philly, saving time and money too.

Archived