Mayor Bloomberg wants to impose 16-ounce limit on sugar drinks

mark1447

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water is almost always better chilled. If you're munching on a hot dog or something, I can understand the want to grab an ice cold 12 ounce can.

Tru dat. If I wan't water, I would never want hot water unless I am completely desperate. Since humans are warm blooded, colder drinks are more nourishing to us I would say.

1) 0.08 cents a bowl!??!!!! :lol: Man what do you do to come up with those calculations??? Maybe you should train some of the soda abusers....

2) Well then if it's so expensive to drink other items besides soda then what do you drink?? As I said I don't spend that much on drinks. I drink water in the office which costs me NOTHING. We have one of those water dispensers in the office... At home I have a cup or two of Perrier or San Pellegrino. On occasion I buy natural orange juice, but not often, so I'm having a hard time understanding how drinking other healthier items would be so expensive that he would have to resort to having tons of soda. Unless he needs to O.D. on soda, other nutritional drinks in moderation could be cheaper than soda.

1) Simple. A box of store-brand oats costs $2.50 and makes 30 servings. Divide the 2 numbers and it comes out to about $0.08 a bowl (or 8 & 1/3 cents to be exact. ;) )

I mean, oats are some of the cheapest foods you can buy. And keep in mind that this is in the city. If you're able to get bulk oats, you can get a 50-pound bag for like $3 - $5). That's less than a penny a bowl.

2) I never said I drink soda. I just said it's cheap. I either drink tap water or maybe some juice. If you wait for a sale, there's always going to be a brand like Tree Ripe, or Florida's Natural, or Tropicana on sale for $2 - $2.50 per 1/2 gallon. Hell, Western Beef has its store-brand OJ for $1.99 (It's from concentrate, but that's not the worst thing in the world. But the ones I get on sale are usually fresh-squeezed)

1) Simple. A box of store-brand oats costs $2.50 and makes 30 servings. Divide the 2 numbers and it comes out to about $0.08 a bowl (or 8 & 1/3 cents to be exact. ;) )

I mean, oats are some of the cheapest foods you can buy. And keep in mind that this is in the city. If you're able to get bulk oats, you can get a 50-pound bag for like $3 - $5). That's less than a penny a bowl.

I used to eat oatmeal a lot for breakfast, but I don't really eat breakfast anymore (sometimes I'll do brunch out on Saturdays as a treat, which of course means no oatmeal), so I stopped buying the instant packets, but I do have it for dinner sometimes as a light snack. The individual packets at Whole Foods are pretty good, but I check the sugar and such, otherwise it may not be worth it, but I don't like the one you have to prepare, so I don't know if you mean the instant ones or what??

2) I never said I drink soda. I just said it's cheap. I either drink tap water or maybe some juice. If you wait for a sale, there's always going to be a brand like Tree Ripe, or Florida's Natural, or Tropicana on sale for $2 - $2.50 per 1/2 gallon. Hell, Western Beef has its store-brand OJ for $1.99 (It's from concentrate, but that's not the worst thing in the world. But the ones I get on sale are usually fresh-squeezed)

Well that's funny because I didn't say you did either... :huh:

Yeah, I avoid concentrate... It's usually full of sugar... Florida's Natural is what I would pick up at Shop Rite over on Richmond Avenue, and only when it was on sale. Why pay $4.00 or whatever some places charge when you can pay $2.50...

But then again are Fruits and vegatbles do have chemical that makes them grow.

The moral of this story is eat the unknown.lol

The elephant in the room is that Soda tastes good. So does fast food (predominantly). People won't drink water that tastes like....well, nothing, when they can get soda for pennies a liter.

Cause unhealthy, Soda just taste good and cheap, Some nutritional drinks don't taste good and expensive why bother buying it? it healthy for you but what the point of drinking something that taste like crap. and I know I Know VG8 what your going to tell me there great nutritional drinks out there that taste great, yea but it often depends on your taste buds.

If you really want to stop obesity banned HFCS.

And why do you think soda is so cheap?? Because of cheap ingredients like HFCS... <_<

As for Soda tasting good, well I'll admit that as a kid I had a sweet tooth and still do. That's the big kid in me. The thing is though as you become more educated on food and your taste buds expand, you start to realize that a lot of the stuff that you thought was so good really isn't. The other issue is not being exposed to natural or organic foods and drinks.

I watched CNBC a few months ago who did a story on the obesity problem here in the US and they showed schools in the US that changed their menus from the processed food to only serve natural or organic food. The kids were involved in growing their own food such as tomatoes and fruit and such and the kids actually liked the food, not only because they got to see where it came from but they noticed that the food just tasted better than the processed stuff they were eating. That is that the apple with no chemicals in it was much better taste wise. In fact I hated fruit for that very reason growing up because I hated the chemical taste. I just thought it was a part of eating fruit until I was exposed to natural and organic fruit. What a difference.

Have natural soda and natural food or organic food for a few months and then try to eat processed food or drink processed stuff and you'll notice the difference immediately. For starters the chemicals in the processed stuff makes my stomach wonder what is going on... :ph34r:

Of course I didn't change my eating habits until I reached high school and then further modified them in college and when I moved to Italy so it's understandable to think the way you do.

More than anything what is needed is education. Accessibility to natural and organic items is more than ever since consumers want it and even poor folks can access it via food stamps. Portion size and control is also key. Whether you eat processed food or natural or organic food, if you eat and drink too much of anything you will become overweight. The portion control issue more than anything is the real issue here because I remember when these enormous sized drinks first started coming out. Before you had the 16 oz sodas. Then smaller companies came in and started selling 20 oz sodas at cheaper prices to be competitive. After the bigger brands saw how popular this way they in turn did the same thing... 20 oz soda for maybe a bit more in terms of the price. At the fast food places I think that was when they started introducing the larger sized sodas. At that time it was still sort of catching on and I also think that folks were still rather aware of proper portion sizes.

The problem is that now portion sizes aren't noted anymore. When folks walk into the store, particularly a fast food store, they're almost expected to get the largest drink and largest sides, even in a so called "healthy" place like Subway. What the customers don't realize is that this is a ploy by the stores to make more money off of the customers. They buy these items in bulk paying next to nothing for them and then try to sell as much of it as possible to make as much profit from the bulk purchases as possible, and things like soda is dirt cheap for them.

I rarely even eat at Subways anymore since, but when I did I always turned down the soda... They hated it but I knew the ploy. They try to make the customer feel guilty by not obliging. So IMO, the obesity problem in this country is really more because of a lack of education and laziness on the consumers' part, not so much because of folks being so "poor". Another thing that is interesting that is going on now as opposed to when I was a kid is that Americans are cooking at home less and less now, and relying on take out food more, which means drinking more soda and other fattening items, where as before going out was maybe once a week or even once a month for some, which allowed families to pay more attention to what they were eating.

Crap lol

But then again are Fruits and vegetables do have chemical that makes them grow.

The moral of this story is eat the unknown.lol

Normally it's okay to eat conventional plants, and organic plants, but I won't suggest eating GMO's tomorrow morning, or anytime. It's bad for you.

Friggin' computer closed me out of this page, so I had to type this all over again. :angry:

1) I used to eat oatmeal a lot for breakfast, but I don't really eat breakfast anymore (sometimes I'll do brunch out on Saturdays as a treat, which of course means no oatmeal), so I stopped buying the instant packets, but I do have it for dinner sometimes as a light snack. The individual packets at Whole Foods are pretty good, but I check the sugar and such, otherwise it may not be worth it, but I don't like the one you have to prepare, so I don't know if you mean the instant ones or what??

2) Well that's funny because I didn't say you did either... :huh:

Yeah, I avoid concentrate... It's usually full of sugar... Florida's Natural is what I would pick up at Shop Rite over on Richmond Avenue, and only when it was on sale. Why pay $4.00 or whatever some places charge when you can pay $2.50...

3) The problem is that now portion sizes aren't noted anymore. When folks walk into the store, particularly a fast food store, they're almost expected to get the largest drink and largest sides, even in a so called "healthy" place like Subway. What the customers don't realize is that this is a ploy by the stores to make more money off of the customers. They buy these items in bulk paying next to nothing for them and then try to sell as much of it as possible to make as much profit from the bulk purchases as possible, and things like soda is dirt cheap for them.

1) Nope. We get the 5-minute "Old Fashioned Oats", where oats are literally the only ingredient. (On the side of the box, it says "100% Whole Grain Rolled Oats"). No sugar or anything. They do have the 1-minute oats, but my dad thinks that the 5-minute oats are fresher and healthier (The 1-minute oats are probably pre-cooked).

And I would never get the packets. Those are $2 for 10-12 packets, which is $0.16 - $0.20 a bowl. That's double the price we pay now. :P

I mean, a few pennies extra per bowl isn't a big deal (but then again, it adds up when you have a lot of people), but like you said, you have added sugar and the pre-cooking which means that the Old-Fashioned ones are healthier.

By the way, they do have the old-fashioned oats in the organic form, but I don't think it would make much of a difference. I mean, I doubt there are many pesticides involved in growing the oats anyway. The organic ones only come in the 18 oz canisters, whereas the regular ones come in both the 18 oz & 42 oz canisters (obviously we buy the larger ones because we eat a lot of it)

I remember once when they were on sale for 3/$5 instead of 2/$5, we bought them out. They had like 15 boxes left on the shelf and we took them all. But we go through a box in less than a week, so that only lasted a couple of months (the expiration date is over a year later)

2) You said "Well then if it's so expensive to drink other items besides soda then what do you drink??", so I thought you meant that I was drinking soda. I any case, between the sales at the different stores, you usually don't have to wait long to find a sale on OJ. I mean, I can't even remember the last time my family paid full-price for OJ. If we run out, then we just drink apple juice or grape juice (also bought on sale. :P ) until the OJ goes on sale again.

3) My dad says that sometimes, they get it for free from the companies as long as they agree not to sell their competitor's brand. So there are a couple of stores that only sell either Coke or Pepsi brands. (I think either KFC or Taco Bell is one of them).

And I remember getting a store-brand ice cream, and it tasted almost like paint. :o Makes you wonder what they put in there..... That's why we stick to the name-brand ice-creams and just look for sales on them.

VG8 Even though instant oatmeal might not be GMO it still has a massive amount of salt. The salt can result in high blood pressure in the future. I just stick to cooking the oatmeal myself. Healthier and you can control what is in there.

Friggin' computer closed me out of this page, so I had to type this all over again. :angry:

Crappola of a PC somebody has... :lol:

1) Nope. We get the 5-minute "Old Fashioned Oats", where oats are literally the only ingredient. (On the side of the box, it says "100% Whole Grain Rolled Oats"). No sugar or anything. They do have the 1-minute oats, but my dad thinks that the 5-minute oats are fresher and healthier (The 1-minute oats are probably pre-cooked).

And I would never get the packets. Those are $2 for 10-12 packets, which is $0.16 - $0.20 a bowl. That's double the price we pay now. :P

I mean, a few pennies extra per bowl isn't a big deal (but then again, it adds up when you have a lot of people), but like you said, you have added sugar and the pre-cooking which means that the Old-Fashioned ones are healthier.

I see... I prefer the instant ones because I like my oatmeal undercooked so it isn't all mushy but more like a soup. Weird I know, but I prefer it that way. I can have it the classical way too, but still.

By the way, they do have the old-fashioned oats in the organic form, but I don't think it would make much of a difference. I mean, I doubt there are many pesticides involved in growing the oats anyway. The organic ones only come in the 18 oz canisters, whereas the regular ones come in both the 18 oz & 42 oz canisters (obviously we buy the larger ones because we eat a lot of it)

They probably do, but I've never looked for it since I prefer the instant one. I would think it would be side by side, but it wasn't so who knows maybe they don't. I do believe that they prepare oatmeal in the mornings though which you can have at Whole Foods for breakfast. Breakfast ends so early though, but the selections are tasty and rather healthy for on the go quick eating.

I remember once when they were on sale for 3/$5 instead of 2/$5, we bought them out. They had like 15 boxes left on the shelf and we took them all. But we go through a box in less than a week, so that only lasted a couple of months (the expiration date is over a year later)

Madre de Dios... :ph34r: I'm sure they gave a look... Don't they have limits on the number of quantities...?? :huh:

2) You said "Well then if it's so expensive to drink other items besides soda then what do you drink??", so I thought you meant that I was drinking soda. I any case, between the sales at the different stores, you usually don't have to wait long to find a sale on OJ. I mean, I can't even remember the last time my family paid full-price for OJ. If we run out, then we just drink apple juice or grape juice (also bought on sale. :P ) until the OJ goes on sale again.

Well I only bought OJ and only Florida Natural (since it is American made and natural, not from concentrate) when it was on sale. It was only for me so I don't need to OD on orange juice.

3) My dad says that sometimes, they get it for free from the companies as long as they agree not to sell their competitor's brand. So there are a couple of stores that only sell either Coke or Pepsi brands. (I think either KFC or Taco Bell is one of them).

Yes this is true... The idea is that they're marketing their product, so in return they'll let them have it for free. Nothing like free advertisment... <_<

And I remember getting a store-brand ice cream, and it tasted almost like paint. :o Makes you wonder what they put in there..... That's why we stick to the name-brand ice-creams and just look for sales on them.

Well I do buy the 365 store Brand for some items at Whole Foods. Their organic cereals for example are excellent, as is the organic oatmeal. However, I'm skeptical of their sparkling water so Perrier, San Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner are the ones I go for and for other European drinks that I can't get at Whole Foods, I get those at other high end specialty stores on occasion as a treat.

I'm picky about ice cream, so I could never go cheap with it. Besides if you only have it once in a blue moon, you might as well get the best. Häagen Dazs for me for American ice cream is what I got for and when I want authentic Italian gelato then I have my Italian spots in the city I go to.

VG8 Even though instant oatmeal might not be GMO it still has a massive amount of salt. The salt can result in high blood pressure in the future. I just stick to cooking the oatmeal myself. Healthier and you can control what is in there.

Yeah, but you see I don't like adding anything in my oatmeal, so with the instant flavored ones that I get from Whole Foods those were fine and I did check for salt, and carbs and such and went for the flavor with the lowest amount of each. Besides if you're having one serving and not going crazy, the amount of salt shouldn't be a big deal. Certainly not like I'm having SODA for breakfast which has can have a ton of sugar or salt.

1) I see... I prefer the instant ones because I like my oatmeal undercooked so it isn't all mushy but more like a soup. Weird I know, but I prefer it that way. I can have it the classical way too, but still.

2) They probably do, but I've never looked for it since I prefer the instant one. I would think it would be side by side, but it wasn't so who knows maybe they don't. I do believe that they prepare oatmeal in the mornings though which you can have at Whole Foods for breakfast. Breakfast ends so early though, but the selections are tasty and rather healthy for on the go quick eating.

3) Madre de Dios... :ph34r: I'm sure they gave a look... Don't they have limits on the number of quantities...?? :huh:

4) Well I do buy the 365 store Brand for some items at Whole Foods. Their organic cereals for example are excellent, as is the organic oatmeal. However, I'm skeptical of their sparkling water so Perrier, San Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner are the ones I go for and for other European drinks that I can't get at Whole Foods, I get those at other high end specialty stores on occasion as a treat.

I'm picky about ice cream, so I could never go cheap with it. Besides if you only have it once in a blue moon, you might as well get the best. Häagen Dazs for me for American ice cream is what I got for and when I want authentic Italian gelato then I have my Italian spots in the city I go to.

1) Ugh. I hate it that way, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

2) It's at ShopRite and Stop & Shop. I haven't checked at Stop & Shop, but I know they have it in the organic aisle at ShopRite.

I notice that the Old Fashioned Oats are on the bottom shelf, whereas the instant oats are at eye level (for the non-organic oats), so I guess it's a marketing technique.

3) Nope. They don't have a limit on quantities unless there's a sale (but only if it's on sale in the circular, and only in certain instances. This was an in-store special, so they didn't put a limit on it). I mean, they must've gotten a large shipment and just wanted to make more space (oatmeal has a long shelf life, so the expiration date isn't an issue, but space is).

As for funny looks, I wasn't really paying attention, but it's not like it's completely out of the ordinary to see people buying large quantities of that. I mean, if this was Costco, they'd probably have a 5-pack of those anyway or something to that effect. Every 6 months, they have a Can-Can sale, so you'll see people buying like 40 cans of beans or something and nobody cares. When yogurt goes on sale, we sometimes buy like 50 or 60 containers (the small 6 oz ones obviously). I mean, if you could get Stonyfield for $0.50, wouldn't you stock up? And between the coupons and everything, I think I got it down to $0.16 each once. ShopRite sometimes has a section in their circular for "Bulk Deals Without the Membership Costs" or something like that, where they sell large containers of things at a price that you'd find at Costco. So you'll see 100 oz cans of ketchup for like $5 and things like that, so they actually like it when you buy in bulk.

I think there's a show called Extreme Couponing where the people get a bunch of stuff really cheap with all the coupons and everything, but that's just going overboard. I mean, when we get 15 boxes of oatmeal or 50 containers of yogurt, we intend to use it all. But if it's something like dog food or air fresheners or something like that, then it doesn't matter how cheap it is because we don't use that stuff.

4) We do buy organic brands sometimes, but we just get whatever's cheaper, since once you're dealing with organic items, I doubt there's that much of a difference in quality. It's not like we're die-hard organic users or anything. I mean, if we can get it at a reasonable price, then great, but if not, we'll stick with the regular version.

The thing is that some of the regular brands are so popular that the prices are the same as some organic brands. So you'll see Cheerios selling for the same price as Cascadian Farms or Kashi. I mean, if you want high-quality, get the organic brand, and if you want a low-price, get the store brand (or a brand like Malt-O-Meal)

As for the ice cream, we usually get brands like Friendly's or Breyers or Turkey Hill, but if we could get Ben & Jerry's or Haagan Daaz for a good price (say, $2 - $2.50 a pint), then we get that.

2) It's at ShopRite and Stop & Shop. I haven't checked at Stop & Shop, but I know they have it in the organic aisle at ShopRite.

I notice that the Old Fashioned Oats are on the bottom shelf, whereas the instant oats are at eye level (for the non-organic oats), so I guess it's a marketing technique.

Of course. You put the stuff that sells better within reach and the stuff that you doesn't sell so well, you put elsewhere. Instant oatmeal these days are more popular. Now my grandmother and the older folks back in the day, they'd cook the non instant oatmeal and would probably insist on it just because of how they were brought up. Me I like healthy, but I don't spend forever cooking either.

3) Nope. They don't have a limit on quantities unless there's a sale (but only if it's on sale in the circular, and only in certain instances. This was an in-store special, so they didn't put a limit on it). I mean, they must've gotten a large shipment and just wanted to make more space (oatmeal has a long shelf life, so the expiration date isn't an issue, but space is).

As for funny looks, I wasn't really paying attention, but it's not like it's completely out of the ordinary to see people buying large quantities of that. I mean, if this was Costco, they'd probably have a 5-pack of those anyway or something to that effect. Every 6 months, they have a Can-Can sale, so you'll see people buying like 40 cans of beans or something and nobody cares. When yogurt goes on sale, we sometimes buy like 50 or 60 containers (the small 6 oz ones obviously). I mean, if you could get Stonyfield for $0.50, wouldn't you stock up? And between the coupons and everything, I think I got it down to $0.16 each once. ShopRite sometimes has a section in their circular for "Bulk Deals Without the Membership Costs" or something like that, where they sell large containers of things at a price that you'd find at Costco. So you'll see 100 oz cans of ketchup for like $5 and things like that, so they actually like it when you buy in bulk.

That's another thing that is helping to increase the obesity problem... People being these ridiculous amounts of food. Now if you buy like you guys do and know how you plan on using the stuff in advance and use it then fine, but you've got folks going out here loading up on soda and other garbage, some of which is never eaten and they just OD on these things and waste whaetever they don't stuff themselves on. I'm old school. i buy enough for a few days at the most and that's it. This way nothing goes to waste and I don't feel the need to eat food simply because I bought too much of it and I don't want to waste it. I realized that when I was in college. Would go to the market and get some things but everything was sold in large quantites in comparison to what I would get in NYC, so I stopped buying several items and just bought them elsewhere, even if that meant paying a bit more.

1) Of course. You put the stuff that sells better within reach and the stuff that you doesn't sell so well, you put elsewhere. Instant oatmeal these days are more popular. Now my grandmother and the older folks back in the day, they'd cook the non instant oatmeal and would probably insist on it just because of how they were brought up. Me I like healthy, but I don't spend forever cooking either.

2) That's another thing that is helping to increase the obesity problem... People being these ridiculous amounts of food. Now if you buy like you guys do and know how you plan on using the stuff in advance and use it then fine, but you've got folks going out here loading up on soda and other garbage, some of which is never eaten and they just OD on these things and waste whaetever they don't stuff themselves on. I'm old school. i buy enough for a few days at the most and that's it. This way nothing goes to waste and I don't feel the need to eat food simply because I bought too much of it and I don't want to waste it. I realized that when I was in college. Would go to the market and get some things but everything was sold in large quantites in comparison to what I would get in NYC, so I stopped buying several items and just bought them elsewhere, even if that meant paying a bit more.

1) Well, like I said, it's only 5 minutes. (I'm not trying to convince you or anything, but if the issue is the fact that it takes too long, then that's not the case here). In any case, if you eat the stuff every day, then it's more important that it be fresh.

2) True. I mean, I can understand stocking up when there's a sale, but you can't buy like a year's supply if you don't plan on using it all.

Whenever I go shopping for ice cream it has to meet two specific demands to me: 1) The milk that was used for it (for all diary and dairy products as well) must be rBGH free and the animals must be given a non GMO diet. 2) It must be brand name.

What a crock of shit. "Electing" this a**hole has been the worst thing this city has done in the past ten years.

I agree. Emperor Bloomberg's trying to have his way with the people of NYC again... <_< In my opinion, Something like this is an individual problem.

Archived