Mac or PC?

My current desktop is a Dell, built back in 2006, it's served me well, but it's severely outdated. If it was possible I'd have torn everything out and rebuilt the damn thing.

But that's not an easy fix. You could build a decent powerhouse of a computer for under 1500 if you do your research, I'm looking at building a beast with an unlocked Intel Core i7, 8 gigs or more of random access memory, so and so, I'm looking for a build capable of high definition video editing, looking for speedy rendering times.

And oh yeah, FRESH hard drive, no crap that you don't need, only the software YOU want to install.

Nice...I have an Intel Core i5 system with 16gb's of RAM I use it for Fl Studio and Pro Tools 10

512 MB sounds a lot better, right?

I finally acquired Vegas just to find out my puny dual-core processor cannot handle it. All of my rage.

Dual cores won't cut it for video editing these days anymore, you gotta go quad-core or better, I too was shocked when I installed a copy of Sony Vegas on my parents' Gateway PC and saw significant improvement (Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.5 GHz) when trying to edit videos. If only that computer wasn't an overall piece of crap though...

....And what exactly do you need 16GB of RAM for???

That can actually go a really, really, long way, especially if you like to run a lot of memory-intensive programs at the same time!

Not bad, not bad, which i5 you running? The 2500K? I heard that's a pretty strong one for what it does

I've got the 3100K

....And what exactly do you need 16GB of RAM for???

Pro Tools along with its RTAS plugins are really CPU intensive

--

I've got to upgrade my power supply from 300W to probably 750W as I plan on adding another 2.5TB of storage space...just so that I don't have to always open it up and swap the HD with the DVD drive lol

I've got the 3100K

Pro Tools along with its RTAS plugins are really CPU intensive

--

I've got to upgrade my power supply from 300W to probably 750W as I plan on adding another 2.5TB of storage space...just so that I don't have to always open it up and swap the HD with the DVD drive lol

Ohhh, an Ivy Bridge generation processor! Very nice, and I notice it's unlocked, you overclock it? Or did you stick with the stock cooler Intel gives you?

Why not?

Because I would rather spend the saved money on a stronger CPU/GPU. Unless it is actually needed, 8GB is usually enough for a lot of users.

As for the 3100K, if it is OC what voltage and clock speed do you have it at?

@OP: I have 4 computers... one Mac and three PCs... both of them are great to me!

Because I would rather spend the saved money on a stronger CPU/GPU. Unless it is actually needed, 8GB is usually enough for a lot of users.

Considering how memory is so cheap these days, if that difference significantly affects your CPU choice, then you probably should be working on money management, not a new computer.

Considering how memory is so cheap these days, if that difference significantly affects your CPU choice, then you probably should be working on money management, not a new computer.

Exactly I paid 20 bucks a piece for 4 sticks of 4GB of ram

Ohhh, an Ivy Bridge generation processor! Very nice, and I notice it's unlocked, you overclock it? Or did you stick with the stock cooler Intel gives you?

Nah I haven't overclocked it....yet lol. I'm still in the learning process of learning...I've heard the max it could take is 3.5Ghz...I've got to do more research.

Nah I haven't overclocked it....yet lol. I'm still in the learning process of learning...I've heard the max it could take is 3.5Ghz...I've got to do more research.

Aha! Make sure you check the BIOS settings for that, that's where you do the "overclocking" basically, Just hope whatever cooler that's on the CPU can handle it, and your power supply!

Exactly I paid 20 bucks a piece for 4 sticks of 4GB of ram

Max is def. more than that. If you have suffice cooling then 4.5Ghz is certainly do-able... I put my 2600K up to 5.2 once, but I never intended to keep it there. My 24/7 config is 4.6, though too bad the computer is lying in my computer room with a couple of parts dead :P

Max is def. more than that. If you have suffice cooling then 4.5Ghz is certainly do-able... I put my 2600K up to 5.2 once, but I never intended to keep it there. My 24/7 config is 4.6, though too bad the computer is lying in my computer room with a couple of parts dead :P

Yeah, I've seen setups with 4.6, 4.7 GHz overclocked, I don't think I'll be aiming for voltages/clock speeds at that height though

Macs and PCs are built by the same 8 year old kids in china with the same crappy parts. I've had equal number of problems with both. THe only real difference is the operating system and the fancier exterior of the macs.

PC parts may be built in China but building the computer yourself isn't ;)

OMG, I haven't seen these since like the 3rd grade.

My school had Windows XP and the most annoying website blocking program there was...

But I found a way around it :ph34r:

Archived