2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

Anyone capable of getting on base and driving in runs is a good deal for the Yankees. My biggest worry with free agents would be PED's.

In case of Mr. Hamilton my biggest worry if he signed for the Yankees is the 24/7 pressure he would face. Thus in worst case have a relapse into drinking or cocaine use more than PED's.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just gained a newfound respect for Hamels (still don't like the other phillie SP's though)..... That shit wasn't worth no 5 game suspension....

They only penalized him that heavily because he admitted to it...... and ppl. wanna wonder why Selig don't get "credit" for what he does for the sport.......

These pitchers, full knowing they intentionally hit batters, should start getting suspended for a game (at the least) then....

It absolutely irritates me when someone hits a HR off a pitcher, then that pitcher plunks the next guy to come to the plate....

If he were to be suspended for intentionally hitting Harper, then Jordan Zimmerman should've been suspended for hitting Hamels in clear retaliation for hitting Harper.

The reason for Hamels's suspension wasn't the fact that he hit him, but the REASON behind it.

If his reason were because Harper had a bad attitude or if he showed him or any of his teamates up in some fashion prior, then as long as he didn't hit him intentionally following an umpire's warning or a fastball to the noggin, he'll likely be okay and receive a tiny fine. But he said he hit him as a way to tell Harper, "Welcome to the big leagues." That's NOT how Major League Baseball worked then and certainly works now. Hamels showed a complete lack of common sense for hitting him for such horrid logic. He deserved that suspension because he had no good reason to hit Harper while Zimmerman did have a good reason and wasn't openly disciplined for this. Personally, Hamels should've been suspended for seven games to make his words sting and sting badly.

BTW, Selig didn't suspend Hamels. Joe Torre, who supervises on-field disciplinarian operations, did.

Also didn't one of their relievers get a save? That was just crazy.

A 3-inning save. :)

Wait was this for the 33-run game? When was that?

It happened on August 22, 2007. The Rangers beat Baltimore, 30-3. Several funny points from that game:

1. Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ramon Vazquez, who were batting eighth and ninth, each hit two homers and knocked in seven RBIs.

2. The Rangers scored their runs in the fourth, sixth, eighth, and ninth innings. They didn't score in any other part of the game.

3. It was classified as a come-from-behind win because Baltimore led 3-0 after three innings: one in the first, two in the third.

4. Wes Littleton recorded a three-inning save. Kason Gabbard pitched six innings for the win.

5. The thirty runs broke a modern-day record of twenty-nine runs scored in one game in 1950. It was the most runs scored in a game by one team since before the twentieth century.

6. The 30-3 game was only the first game of a double-header! The Rangers won Game 2, 9-7.

If he were to be suspended for intentionally hitting Harper, then Jordan Zimmerman should've been suspended for hitting Hamels in clear retaliation for hitting Harper.

The reason for Hamels's suspension wasn't the fact that he hit him, but the REASON behind it.

If his reason were because Harper had a bad attitude or if he showed him or any of his teamates up in some fashion prior, then as long as he didn't hit him intentionally following an umpire's warning or a fastball to the noggin, he'll likely be okay and receive a tiny fine. But he said he hit him as a way to tell Harper, "Welcome to the big leagues." That's NOT how Major League Baseball worked then and certainly works now. Hamels was not only dumb to hit him on purpose, but for the poor logic for hitting him, too. Hamels deserved that suspension because he had no good reason to hit Harper while Zimmerman did and wasn't openly disciplined for this. Personally, Hamels should've been suspended for seven games to make his words sting and sting badly.

BTW, Selig didn't suspend Hamels. Joe Torre, who supervises on-field disciplinarian operations, did.

Whoever suspended him, it's still setting a double-standard, league wide....

Still say it wasn't deserving of no 5 games, no 7 games, or no other exorbitant amount...

It's okay to hit a guy b/c he showed up someone on your team during a game.... or hit a guy b/c someone else on that guy's team hit a HR off you.... or to even engage in it all by "sending a message" to a rival team..... but if you hit some smart-mouthed kid b/c you wanna give him an informal initiation to the pros & admit to it, oh now that's 5 game suspension worthy.... That's the message that's being sent.... All you're gonna have happen now are pitchers hitting guys intentionally (for whatever REASON) & making sure they are tight lipped about it all.... Including the notion of "welcoming someone to the big's".....

Damn that.... either have plunking guys with baseballs remain as part of the game w/ no fines or suspensions handed out whatsoever, or start fining managers (at the very least) when pitchers hit guys (not talking about on the jersey either... which shouldn't even count as a HBP anyway).... or start fining [even suspending] pitchers that hit players.... Severity of the punishment would be judged by intent.... Oh, and batters that try to take advantage of that by leaning in (or "cheating", as they call it) in the batters box would get automatically called out for interference, no matter what the count is..... Nothing would happen to the pitcher in that scenario....

So guys this question. Should the Yankees sign Josh Hamilton as free agent after this season? I am sure almost all of you are aware of his issues i.e former crack addict and drinking problems? Could someone like him handle the NYC spotlight?

The better question is, would he relapse while with the Yankees....

Don't need that headache.... also wouldn't be a good look for the franchise....

The Mets win the game against the Phucking Phils. They came back from 4 runs down and won 7 to 4.

They had the Mets/Phils game on ESPN yesterday... While the (NY) Rangers was stinkin in the 3rd period, I watched that Papelbitch collapse.... not that I like the Mets, but anyone that spoils a save opportunity off that POS brings a smile to my face....

So they beat them again today by way of another comeback.... smh lol....

Robertson gets the save against TB with a big strikeout while leaving the bases loaded.

As for Hamilton, I would pass on him because the media will be on him constantly and last thing he needs is that much intense scrutiny. As much as they need a bat, I don't think another slugger is needed.

BTW, Guillermo Mota was suspended 100 games for testing positive for a drug. He claims that it was actually a child's cough syrup. He's already been suspended once for enhancement drugs.

Man nobody can take vitamins anymore because of the banned substances it contains. I don't know Guillermo Mota, I don't know if he is lying or telling the truth. Guys like Ryan Franklin (former MLB pitcher who got suspended 10 games for "performance enhancing drugs") and J.C. Romero get suspended on over the counter stuff that has banned substances by the MLB. My point here is why everyone assumes that once you get a 50 game suspension is just steroids?

I couldn't edit the reply above so here goes:

As for tonight's game..Ibañez hit 2 hr's and Robertson performed his Houdini act, also picking up his first save of 2012. I heard Andy Pettitte is going to pitch on Sunday so my guess is as good as most people, David Phelps is going to Triple A while Freddy Garcia moves to long man/mop up man. I think it will be Phelps because compared to Phil Hughes, he has no track record and Phil showed why he should stay in the rotation. Even if it was a good offensive team like KC, he has to show on Saturday if he can stay in the rotation, otherwise Phelps stays in the rotation.

As for Josh Hamilton, 4 homers wow!! I really don't want the Yankees to sign him. He'll be expensive and the Yankees are trying to decrease their payroll below the 189 million mark. I don't think Nick Swisher might be back next year and the Yanks have to worry about Robinson Cano (who has this year and a '13 club option) and Curtis Granderson.

At the rate Cano is hitting, I think keeping Granderson might make more sense if it came down to either one of them. I too agree Swisher and probably Martin are going to be let go unless either one can lower their demands. Much as I'd hate to see anyone go, I think getting below that $189 mil level will be the most important issue.

Been reading viewer comments in papers like USA Today, the Dallas area papers and of course the NY Daily News. A few people along w/ B35 (in our shoutbox) feel that Josh Hamilton is on some form of PED's. I say this.

Being fair, MLB has "supposedly' strict testing for PED's. Sure there a chance Mr. Hamilton could be " juiced." However imo it's less likely now than say in 2000-'01, than during the Bonds/McGuire/Sosa era. reactions?

Been reading viewer comments in papers like USA Today, the Dallas area papers and of course the NY Daily News. A few people along w/ B35 (in our shoutbox) feel that Josh Hamilton is on some form of PED's. I say this.

Being fair, MLB has "supposedly' strict testing for PED's. Sure there a chance Mr. Hamilton could be " juiced." However imo it's less likely now than say in 2000-'01, than during the Bonds/McGuire/Sosa era. reactions?

Unfortuantely, the people speculating are shouting hot air. Josh Hamilton is forced to take a drug test at least three times per week as a provision for his reinstatement and has passed each and every one. Combine that with the fact that there is testing for HGH now, it's safe to say Hamilton's just that good.

Yeah, it's less likely; emphasis on "less"..... I don't doubt for a second that a determined athlete knows of way(s) to beat these current tests.... As if those of us that speculate don't have reason to do so... Speculation of certain athletes engaging in unnatural methods of (trying to) excel in a certain sport is what brought on increased drug testing in the first place.... i.e. the McGwire's, Sosa's, Bonds', etc......

Those that wanna dismiss it by saying "it's just speculation" seems to forget that - As if there was no reason to have speculated.....

This optimistic point of view that since the MLB enhanced drug testing, everyone's clean now, is a load of crap.....

Under that notion, from that day forward, no one should ever test positive for any banned substance.....

No one.

Not entirely true since they've enhanced drug testing now is it....

Just as there are athletes that will find ways to get around the current methods of drug testing, the MLB will have to be that much more diligent in weeding out the cheaters.... it's a never ending battle.

Josh Hamilton is not excluded from any of this.

Yeah, it's less likely; emphasis on "less"..... I don't doubt for a second that a determined athlete knows of way(s) to beat these current tests.... As if those of us that speculate don't have reason to do so... Speculation of certain athletes engaging in unnatural methods of (trying to) excel in a certain sport is what brought on increased drug testing in the first place.... i.e. the McGwire's, Sosa's, Bonds', etc......

Those that wanna dismiss it by saying "it's just speculation" seems to forget that - As if there was no reason to have speculated.....

This optimistic point of view that since the MLB enhanced drug testing, everyone's clean now, is a load of crap.....

Under that notion, from that day forward, no one should ever test positive for any banned substance.....

No one.

Not entirely true since they've enhanced drug testing now is it....

Just as there are athletes that will find ways to get around the current methods of drug testing, the MLB will have to be that much more diligent in weeding out the cheaters.... it's a never ending battle.

Josh Hamilton is not excluded from any of this.

Bro(B35)you have every right to be skeptical about Hamilton. MLB led by Selig, Former Players Union Boss Donald Fehr and of course most of the players destoryed forever the intergrity of MLB records. Mainly the HR marks for season and carrer. Thus the powers that be at the turn of the 21st century caused this view by critics by B35 and many other sports fans upon themselves that question if Hamilton, Jeff Kemp, Albert Pujolis(despite his awful slump this year) HR's are legit. I do hope Hamilton is legit and 'clean' as he has become a great guy to root for despite nearly dying from his addictions. With that said though, I am not going to bet $1 Million dollars that he 100% on the 'up and up' either.

B35 your comments above is well taken though.

It happens, it's only one game and the mediots are going wild with this Without Mariano crap the Yankees are doomed. It's only two games that Robertson's struggled as the team's closer but he can still be good. Just give him time.

It happens, it's only one game and the mediots are going wild with this Without Mariano crap the Yankees are doomed. It's only two games that Robertson's struggled as the team's closer but he can still be good. Just give him time.

That's true. The yanks are not doomed. I have faith in the team. I for one, wanted to see how Robertson does as a closer. Although not often, Rivera did blow saves too.

Agreed, this is going to kill them. The pitchers can only do so much on 3 or less runs. This is the friggin Yankees, they should be scoring at minimum 4 runs. If they lose this season, blame the hitters first and then the early season rotation. Pen as weak as it is now, is more or less still probably the most 'stable' of the group.

Until the very end it was a typical Robertson outing. Load the bases, then retire the side without letting a run score... except that didn't happen.

I'm more concerned that the Yankees couldn't score more than one run.

That's what I was sayin in the chatbox last night, regarding Robertson..... it's gonna have to stop.... Having to endure (the stress in) that type of a game scenario time & time again can "age" you real quick; makin him that much more ineffective in the playoffs (if the Yanks even get that far this year).....

...and the Yankees are gonna definitely gonna have to start hitting now, more than ever..... that "security blanket" (lol) aint goin be there for them this year.... Soriano these past few games has to make you nervous, if you're a yankee fan... If he doesn't have the quick inning, he's not nearly as effective.....

Hey guys. As Yanks won last night (5/10/12)some of the callers on WFAN's Francesa show made this interresting point. Is CC Sabthia the best Yankees starter since Ron Guidry? Also is he also the best free agent pick up since Reggie Jackson? What you guys think?

This is only CC's 4th season with the Yankees. I would rather wait and see by the end of his fifth season to answer the free agent question. But when it comes to best Yankees starter since Ron Guidry, he's third behind Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte.

Hey guys. As Yanks won last night (5/10/12)some of the callers on WFAN's Francesa show made this interresting point. Is CC Sabthia the best Yankees starter since Ron Guidry? Also is he also the best free agent pick up since Reggie Jackson? What you guys think?

I think it's too early in his yankee tenure to make those declarations.....

Archived