2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when Pardon the Interruption (PTI) on ESPN had their "over/under" segment of the show, where they asked:

Number of regular season games Pettitte would start for the Yankees - over/under..... Wilbon said over, Kornheiser said under..... At the time, I agreed with Wilbon.....

Hell, even before that segment, I was tellin a couple family members.... Watch Pettitte come back & pitch for the Yankees again.....

I didn't know much about Pineda enough to wax poetic about him or not.... When he got signed, I remained indifferent....

Regardless, sucks that he's now gone for the year.....

I certainly hope Michael Pineda follows his rehab the right way and comes back better than ever, wish him the best on his recovery. As for Hughes I give up, I know he faced Texas who is a potent offensive team but I've seen this too many times and I'm sick of this isht with him. I wish Joba would have gotten an equal opportunity to start like the Yanks did with Hughes but noo it didn't happen that way. Andy probably needs 2-3 starts to be ready and it's either bye bye Garcia/Hughes. Hopefully Phil can help in the pen by being a multiinning reliever kinda like Cory Wade and will be better there. For the 5th spot I don't know if Phelps can handle it, I doubt it but at least he'll be serviceable.

I agree, Joba probably had a better shot of being a starter than Hughes before his injuries. They babied him too much.

I agree, at this point I'd rather take my chances of at least 5 ok innings with Phelps over Hughes. I'd put Hughes in Phelps's place to be the mop up guy as it seems we're only getting at least 2-3 innings from Hughes now. I also hope the news of Pineda and Hughes doesn't force Andy to move up his time table. I mean yes, Andy at 80% is better than what we have, but I don't think the Yankees are that desperate yet to bring him up now.

I gave up on Hughes towards the middle to end of last season.... and oh, they babied him also.... I don't watch his starts b/c it irks me to see a yankee pitcher to perform poorly on a consistent basis (same thing I did when I went on A.J. strike [in not watching his starts]).....

Who knows what Joba is capable of anymore....

Anyway, ever notice now this season, managers aren't giving a damn about a 100 pitch mark - they are lettin these bad boys pitch well into the 110's & even to the 120's..... For the life of me, I never understood what constituted the sudden fixation back around 07-08 to have this great concern about pitchers reaching the 100 pitch mark.... It irked me to no end, especially when a SP was dominant for the first 7 or 8 innings, then a mgr. would come & take the guy out b/c he has 100 pitches - Only for some reliever to blow the game thereafter.....

I gave up on Hughes towards the middle to end of last season.... and oh, they babied him also.... I don't watch his starts b/c it irks me to see a yankee pitcher to perform poorly on a consistent basis (same thing I did when I went on A.J. strike [in not watching his starts]).....

Anyway, ever notice now this season, managers aren't giving a damn about a 100 pitch mark - they are lettin these bad boys pitch well into the 110's & even to the 120's..... For the life of me, I never understood what constituted the sudden fixation back around 07-08 to have this great concern about pitchers reaching the 100 pitch mark.... It irked me to no end, especially when a SP was dominant for the first 7 or 8 innings, then a mgr. would come & take the guy out b/c he has 100 pitches - Only for some reliever to blow the game thereafter.....

Bro MLB has gone in a time warp with hitting vs. pitching. The Sterioids/Power Hitting era of the late 1990's/turn of the century is over for a while. Welcome back to the pitching era of the 1960's my friend. :D And Sandy Koufax is taking on Bob Gibson tonight lol.

Bro MLB has gone in a time warp with hitting vs. pitching. The Sterioids/Power Hitting era of the late 1990's/turn of the century is over for a while. Welcome back to the pitching era of the 1960's my friend. :D And Sandy Koufax is taking on Bob Gibson tonight lol.

No, it's just a lot of bad hitting/bad AB's going on.....

Back then, the pitchers were just that dominant - back when you had hitters that would hit for average....

Nowadays, hardly anyone hits for average anymore... When you have the league tryna swing for the fences on every swing, that's gonna create hitting slumps..... Which makes it appear as if a lot of today's pitchers are unhittable.....

Yeah, inning limit, pitch limit... what ever happened to the days where a manager lets their players stay till they take themselves out? Didn't Al Leiter have between 120-140 pitches against the Yankees in one of the 2000 WS games? So yea I can see where there are extremes, but the 100 pitch count deal is just out of hand.

Yeah, inning limit, pitch limit... what ever happened to the days where a manager lets their players stay till they take themselves out? Didn't Al Leiter have 142/124 pitches against the Yankees in one of the 2000 WS games? So yea I can see where there are extremes, but the 100 pitch count deal is just out of hand.

Those days evaporated when players became investments.

This MLB update presented by Geico.

Well the Yankees open a homestand against a team that was a heavy pre season pick to win the world series(along with the Angels)the Tigers. Bombers win in bottom of 9th inning as Jeter scores on passed ball.

Meanwhile the Mets are starting a long road trip in Denver vs. the Rockies.

Finally the big league wide news in MLB is that one of the most hyped young prospects in years, Bryce Harper will make his debut on the 'big show' for the Nationals on Saturday. I admit i have not seen Harper even on tv yet, but i hope he has the skills to back up his big mouth.

http://www.washingto...hWmT_story.html

Oh lord, Garcia stinks up the place again. Can't even get out of the 2nd today and if not for his bad outing, Yankees could've won this game. They need to put Phelps in the rotation now! Pull either Garcia or Hughes, as the pen can't keep showing up before the 4th inning. At this rate they'll be worn out and useless by June or sooner.

Oh lord, Garcia stinks up the place again. Can't even get out of the 2nd today and if not for his bad outing, Yankees could've won this game. They need to put Phelps in the rotation now! Pull either Garcia or Hughes, as the pen can't keep showing up before the 4th inning. At this rate they'll be worn out and useless by June or sooner.

I concur. What's going with Garcia? He was ok last season.... As for Hughes, ever since that "Dead arm" injury, He hasn't been the same...

I'm glad one of them is in the pen. I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes runs into trouble, Garcia would be sent out to give a couple of innings (think platoon pitching), so that the pen can hopefully come in no sooner than the 6th inning. Sadly it seems the killer B's are running into trouble now, so even in the minors, there are no other options to replace Hughes.

As for Garcia, yeah, I expected him to slow down, but not "suck." As for the moment, it looks like the A's were smart by taking a chance on Colon. If Colon were here, he'd take Hughes's spot.

Hey, the Mets are getting killed, 18 to 9. The Rockies scored 11 runs in one inning. Even crazier is the fact that Scott Hairston hit for the cycle.

That's why i'm a Yankees Fan.

No, that makes you a bandwagon fan (if that's the only reason to not be a Mets fan). It's easy to pick a team that's winning, a real fan sticks by the team no matter what.

This. I agree with this post 100%.

Shifting gears as i did not see it from last week, this story of Yankees TV announcer Micheal Kay ripping into Texas Rangers fans for not giving a foul ball to a screaming young toddler?

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1069188

I saw that game live on T.V. Right when it happend, Micheal Kay was barking about the couple not giving the ball to the little kid. The camera was then focused on the couple. The female taking pictures with it and laughing while the poor kid was crying about 2 feet away from her.... How can you not notice that? It's a good thing someone from the rangers saw the kid cry because they gave him a free ball. Not sure if it was signed though.

This. I agree with this post 100%.

I saw that game live on T.V. Right when it happend, Micheal Kay was barking about the couple not giving the ball to the little kid. The camera was then focused on the couple. The female taking pictures with it and laughing while the poor kid was crying about 2 feet away from her.... How can you not notice that? It's a good thing someone from the rangers saw the kid cry because they gave him a free ball. Not sure if it was signed though.

Thanks NYCfan. With that said, based from watching a few moments of tape from youtube, that young couple seemed to be wrong for not wanting to offer that kid the ball. Later in that article and on a "Today Show" interview, they claim they offered to him the ball after the cameras was away from them. IMO that young couple seem to lack of class, but my main gripe is why is this a news story for almost a damn week now?

Micheal Kay had a right to say that young couple was wrong with not offering that foul ball to the kid. However he went IMO overboard with focusing on it with the viewers.

Thanks NYCfan. With that said, based from watching a few moments of tape from youtube, that young couple seemed to be wrong for not wanting to offer that kid the ball. Later in that article and on a "Today Show" interview, they claim they offered to him the ball after the cameras was away from them. IMO that young couple seem to lack of class, but my main gripe is what is this a news story for almost a damn week now?

Micheal Kay had a right to say that young couple was wrong with not offering that foul ball to the kid. However he went IMO overboard with focusing on it with the viewers.

Sure, No problem. I agree. This whole thing isn't much a of a big deal. While I agree with Michael Kay for the most part, He took this whole thing a little out of proportion in my opinion...

I happen to see Bryce Harper, the next future Yankee according to him. I didn't see him play CF today but I saw him play the day before. He played left field and he can run pretty good. The kid has a cannon of an arm, he used to be a catcher in his college days before he got drafted. I saw him get his first big league hit which was a booming double all the way to the CF. He's really young, doesn't turn 20 until October. The best part of that Saturday Nationals at Dodgers game was not only Harper's debut but Stephen Strasburg tossing 7 dominant innings against Matt Kemp and Donnie's Dodgers.

On the Yankee side of things, CC is CC and former Yankee farmhand Austin Jackson almost made the catch of the year. He was so close until the ball fell out of his glove and Granderson gets his homer. Still frustrated on the Yanks LOB but that happens when your team has a high OBP. It's one of those days.

Archived