2012 MLB Thread

Shortline Bus

Terrible news on Mariano. Wish him the best and speedy recovery and look forward to watch him pitch again. As for who should be closing, I would like Robertson for sure. I think he can handle it. I get it that Soriano has done it in the AL East and as the media says, he's proven that he can handle the 9th inning. Look I'm going to set logic on this: THE 9TH INNING IS NOT ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE 6TH, 3RD, OR 8TH. High pressure situations can happen in the later innings (the 7th and onward). Example: Brad Lidge as many people say is a proven closer. He sucks, he hasn't been the same dominant closer ever since Pujols took him deep in the 2005 NLCS. Basically if a middle reliever believes all this hype about the 9th inning, then he is nothing but a wimp. Bottomline in baseball, no matter what inning you are sent out there to pitch, your job is to get outs. I know that saves get you money which is stupid but I rather have a reliever like Robertson who gets outs than a guy like Brian Fuentes or Brad Lidge who gets outs but not on a consistent basis. D-Rob did pitch last night and struck out the side but it was a non save situation.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. Like I've been saying, Mo's injury is not the only problem they have. This line up should be talented enough to score at least "4 or more". At least there are 3 starters doing well enough to keep them in the games, but if the offense continues to slump like this, I fear it will be a very tough uphill climb.

Two things of note happened today.

First, Cano doubled his HR and RBI totals in one swing, putting the Yankees up 6-1 in a game they would eventually win 10-4. A-Rod also had a three-run shot.

Second, Pujols homered.

Two things of note happened today.

First, Cano doubled his HR and RBI totals in one swing, putting the Yankees up 6-1 in a game they would eventually win 10-4. A-Rod also had a three-run shot.

Second, Pujols homered.

wait, so cano only had 1 HR this whole time.... god damn.....

As far as Pujols.... barring yet another no hitter/perfect game, that's gonna be the lead story on baseball tonight...... smh...

Yup. Like I've been saying, Mo's injury is not the only problem they have. This line up should be talented enough to score at least "4 or more". At least there are 3 starters doing well enough to keep them in the games, but if the offense continues to slump like this, I fear it will be a very tough uphill climb.

By no means Mo's dismissal is the only problem they have..... This team as of late (sans today's performance) haven't been hitting; you shouldn't be scoring 3 runs in 3 games against the Orioles, and for that matter, splitting a 4 game set against the Royals....

By no means Mo's dismissal is the only problem they have..... This team as of late (sans today's performance) haven't been hitting; you shouldn't be scoring 3 runs in 3 games against the Orioles, and for that matter, splitting a 4 game set against the Royals....

Adding to that:

This season the Yankees have been able to win 2 of 3 from the Angels, 2-game sweep the Red Sox, and win 2 of 3 from the Tigers. They also lost 2 of 3 to the Rangers, which is fine. All powerhouse teams.

But as of late they're 0-3 against Tampa, 1-2 against Baltimore (not counting the sweep at Camden Yards, since the O's didn't really get hot until after that), 2-2 against Minnesota, and 2-2 against Kansas City, all teams that the Yankees should be defeating handily (with the exception of Tampa).

It boils down to this: beating the powerhouse teams is all well and good, but if you don't win the games that are supposed to be a guaranteed lock you'll be going nowhere fast. There's a reason we're in fourth and Baltimore is on top (exhibit A:they just beat Boston 9-6 in 17 to sweep that series. Both teams ran out of pitchers.).

But I do have a feeling that once we get Swish, Gardner, and Pettite back this team will really take off.

The TB series was not entirely a waste. The games were close enough by the 9th to swing in the Yankees' favor. Obviously had Mo not blown that save that would've been 1 sure victory, but the other 2 were a mix of bad pitching or lack of run support. I would hope the next meeting the Yankees will play better. But as for the Twins, O's, Royals, agreed: It is inexcusable to settle on a split of those series. Those are games that should be won.

The TB series was not entirely a waste. The games were close enough by the 9th to swing in the Yankees' favor. Obviously had Mo not blown that save that would've been 1 sure victory, but the other 2 were a mix of bad pitching or lack of run support. I would hope the next meeting the Yankees will play better. But as for the Twins, O's, Royals, agreed: It is inexcusable to settle on a split of those series. Those are games that should be won.

A loss is still a loss, no matter how close. Just like how a win is only one win, no matter how large.

On another note, notice how the Yankees haven't been doing so well since the 15-9 win in Boston, while until this last three game set with the O's, Boston was on a tear after that game.

Well of course it is still a loss (no such thing as a moral victory), but it means that it's not like the Yankees can't go toe to toe with TB or Texas. So hopefully if everything 'clicks' they can eventually turn things around. I really doubt Baltimore and/or Toronto will take the 1st WC for the AL East by the end of the season.

I just gained a newfound respect for Hamels (still don't like the other phillie SP's though)..... That shit wasn't worth no 5 game suspension....

They only penalized him that heavily because he admitted to it...... and ppl. wanna wonder why Selig don't get "credit" for what he does for the sport.......

These pitchers, full knowing they intentionally hit batters, should start getting suspended for a game (at the least) then....

It absolutely irritates me when someone hits a HR off a pitcher, then that pitcher plunks the next guy to come to the plate....

Someone did that to me & I was in the majors, I would charge that pitcher with bat-in-hand....

I guess it's harder to suspend a SP for just 1 game because they can't pitch again till it's their turn in the rotation, thus the 5 game ban. Had he been a reliever, I can see just 1 game. But I do agree it is bs for a pitcher to plunk the next guy over what the previous guy did. The SP should take it out on the guy that beat him, don't take it out on the next guy. That's my only issue with retaliation pitches.

Speaking such, I dunno why Joba would always hit Youklis. What has Youk done to Joba? lol.

Anyone seen the Developing Nats/Phillies rivalry? DC won 2 of 3 games vs Philly but the big story is how Pitcher Cole Hamels hit Byrce Harper on prime time tv. You be the judge lol. Should Hamels be fined and suspened.

FYI. Mr. Hamels has been suspened 5 games.

The rivalry is not just because of Hamels beaning Harper, there are other factors as well.

The most important is "Take back Nationals Park." Like the Brewers did a few years back to stop Cubs fans from overtaking Miller Park, Nats fans whose zip codes were based in Maryland, Virginia, or District of Columbia were able to get priority tickets to Nationals Park during Phillies games. This was because Phillies fans outnumber Nats fans, evident last year when the Phils clinched the NL East in Washington.

The rivalry is not just because of Hamels beaning Harper, there are other factors as well.

The most important is "Take back Nationals Park." Like the Brewers did a few years back to stop Cubs fans from overtaking Miller Park, Nats fans whose zip codes were based in Maryland, Virginia, or District of Columbia were able to get priority tickets to Nationals Park during Phillies games. This was because Phillies fans outnumber Nats fans, evident last year when the Phils clinched the NL East in Washington.

Whoever from the Nats created this idea of the so called 'take back the park' is a genuis. They had among their highest attendence for a 3-game series since that DC ballpark opened in 2008.

Plus being the lead story on sportscenter today (5/7/12)even taking attention from the NBA and NHL playoffs.

Whoever from the Nats created this idea of the so called 'take back the park' is a genuis. They had among their highest attendence for a 3-game series since that DC ballpark opened in 2008.

Plus being the lead story on sportscenter today (5/7/12)even taking attention from the NBA and NHL playoffs.

It was Nationals' executive Andrew Feffer, who was tired of seeing Phillies fans outnumber Nats fans in Nationals Park. However, the Brewers did the same thing in 2006 to curb Cubs fans (Take Back Miller Park).

Josh Hamilton just hit four home runs in one game. Wow.

A perfect game, another no-hitter, and now this, all in a two-and-a-half week span.

Between watching the Devils/Flyers playoff game and also NBA 1st round games (mainly Indy sending packing the Magic lol)i saw on MLB network, one of the Hamilton home runs via the Orioles tv broadcasts.

Hamilton when his head is screwed on straight has to rank among the most dangerous HR hitters over the last 30 years. And it seems he does not need PED's to do so.

All I have to say is that the Rangers kill the Orioles. Some years back, they scored 33 runs in one game against the O's.

BTW, Guillermo Mota was suspended 100 games for testing positive for a drug. He claims that it was actually a child's cough syrup. He's already been suspended once for enhancement drugs.

So guys this question. Should the Yankees sign Josh Hamilton as free agent after this season? I am sure almost all of you are aware of his issues i.e former crack addict and drinking problems? Could someone like him handle the NYC spotlight?

Anyone capable of getting on base and driving in runs is a good deal for the Yankees. My biggest worry with free agents would be PED's.

Archived