Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

Hey guys, i have to go down monday to livingston street. I have a Question. I recently became a naturalized citizen but dont have my passport yet and dont have my green card anymore since they take ut away when u become a citizen. Will they accept my naturalization certificate instead?. I have all other ids, liscence, ss card etc. please let me know. Thanks

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone,

Quick question, after completing track school, training, etc are you assigned a permanent starting place like a yard or something like that.

I live north of the city so my best hope would be the Bronx. If you are assigned somewhere not so convenient is it possible to transfer at a later date?

Thank you

good luck to everyone 

Once you've completed Track school a temporary seniority list will be established.
It may have changed since I was hired but they use the day and time you are sworn in.
They wouldn't take someone who is ahead of you on the civil service list but may have been put on hold during the hiring process and started class months or even a year later then move them ahead of you once hired.

Once training is complete you have your "Mini pick." It's a list of jobs (Days, Nights, Evenings with various days off in all boroughs) that you will pick from in seniority order. The Mini pick will last until the general pick comes when all Track workers pick. At that time your added to back of the Track worker seniority list. Picks can be anywhere from 1-3 years long.

During that time you do have bid sheets that come out. If the person who left that position was seniority #400 then from 401 on you could bid with the next senior person after #400 getting it.

At the general pick you also have "X" jobs. Those are temporary jobs created that are over budget. once a permanent opens up the "X" job is closed out and you relocate to that permanent job. Sometimes they never close out and sometimes they do. It's a gamble.

Chances are good for the mini pick as it's usually senior track workers retiring when spots open.

At the General pick you may even get lucky. I did for my first two years staying days near my house.

Some guys prefer nights because it's a bit more money, they get into a routine or nights just works for them with regard to their personal and family life.

I'm hoping for the best. My wife is a nurse and we have had contradicting schedules for the past year (her working nights, me working days). She just got approved for day shift. How messed up would it be if I got nights lol.

Either way I'd be grateful for the job at all. Did my pre interview, waiting for final processing. List # below 430

Once you've completed Track school a temporary seniority list will be established.

It may have changed since I was hired but they use the day and time you are sworn in.

They wouldn't take someone who is ahead of you on the civil service list but may have been put on hold during the hiring process and started class months or even a year later then move them ahead of you once hired.

Once training is complete you have your "Mini pick." It's a list of jobs (Days, Nights, Evenings with various days off in all boroughs) that you will pick from in seniority order. The Mini pick will last until the general pick comes when all Track workers pick. At that time your added to back of the Track worker seniority list. Picks can be anywhere from 1-3 years long.

During that time you do have bid sheets that come out. If the person who left that position was seniority #400 then from 401 on you could bid with the next senior person after #400 getting it.

At the general pick you also have "X" jobs. Those are temporary jobs created that are over budget. once a permanent opens up the "X" job is closed out and you relocate to that permanent job. Sometimes they never close out and sometimes they do. It's a gamble.

Good info. Dp142 most people dont realize x jobs and temp jobs are a gamble

. Everyone in my class that had an X job fot picked out already (through pre bids). A few people are still on from temp jobs. If you get a x or temp job in a senior shop dont get comfortable. Atleast thats how its looks in my department.

what's up dunnlick. Unfortunately for me the guy before me on the list was the last person to get sworn in for the 10-5 class. However, I was the first person sworn in for the 10-26 class. Took my photo for ID, got fingerprinted, and got my book for class. I'll keep an eye out for you in the system. So not so bad news for me and great news for guys who are waiting. There was 1 other track guy after me who got sworn in for track. His list number was 35#. So if you are in the 350 to 450 range you could possibly make it to the next class on the 26th. As for medical I wouldn't worry unless you have high blood pressure. They seem to take that pretty serious. My hand was broken 2 years ago and the doc didn't seem to care. After doing my hearing test, piss test for blood sugar, and blowing into a breathalizer type device to check my lung capacity I went to see a doctor to get cleared for service. My boy dunnlick posted that they make you squat and check all kinds of stuff. The other guys who were there confirmed this. My experience was a little different. My doc pretty much looked at me, checked my heart rate and said "your passed". The only thing she did was ask me a list of questions about my medical history. Good luck to all waiting. You may get a call within 2 weeks.

congratulations upo1, thats also good news that they have 2 classes coming out in October the list is moving

question filling out 21page information booklet.. education! it doesnt say when to stop highschool/junior high/grade school. first form said highschool. so how far should i put back?

I just filled out I high school and I start tomorrow so guess that was good enough pretty sure that's all they ask for though

Hello everyone,

Quick question, after completing track school, training, etc are you assigned a permanent starting place like a yard or something like that.

I live north of the city so my best hope would be the Bronx. If you are assigned somewhere not so convenient is it possible to transfer at a later date?

Thank you

good luck to everyone

We are in the same boat my friend I live way north class starts at 8 I gotta leave t house at 5 o get to Brooklyn without hitting traffic and turning my hour and fifteen minute ride into a 2-1/2 hour ride so I'm definitely looking to get the Bronx yard and I would LOVE to start days but I'm gonna have to try and get 10-6 do to some conflicting schedule with my wife so I can jet home and take kids to school sux but gotta do what ya gotta do

...and I would LOVE to start days but I'm gonna have to try and get 10-6 do to some conflicting schedule with my wife so I can jet home and take kids to school sux but gotta do what ya gotta do

Keep in mind that training is only a brief period of time (I think it is 6 weeks). Therefore, just make the extra effort and you should be fine in the long run.

Hey Folks~

So I just called DCAS moments ago for the September 2015 update, and the list number of the last appointed is 272.

Surprisingly, I just called moments ago for October and the information is still the same, which, in my opinion, is incorrect, but this is just my opinion...

The last known appointed number is 348. The guy upo on this forum said he was the first sworn in to the class on the 26th. The class that starts the 5th has 20 people in it, so they went through almost 80 applicants to fill 20. If this current t trend continues and the next class holds 20 people, list numbers from 350 -430 should get called.

The last known appointed number is 348. The guy upo on this forum said he was the first sworn in to the class on the 26th. The class that starts the 5th has 20 people in it, so they went through almost 80 applicants to fill 20. If this current t trend continues and the next class holds 20 people, list numbers from 350 -430 should get called.

Thank you so much...I had a gut feeling that the information from DCAS was incorrect, which is the case...

180 livingston monday oct.5 at 730 for trackworker.(pre-employement) List 650-660. Problem is im already employed by transit for another position.

If you rather the current position you have just do what i did. Take your name off the list, then put it right back on. If not than take the track worker job. If you are permanent you should have a year to come back to your old posistion without loosing seniority. DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT CHECK WITH THE UNION FIRST..

4:56 a.m got up at 4 dropped duece number one ate some oats and had an OJ then duece number duece lol. Headin down for first day of training at 130 Livingston the one giant drawback living so far don't have the luxury of sleeping til 6 or 7 but whatever well worth it keep y'all posted as the days go by how it going and whats goin on in class

Good luck Dunnlick. Make that money man. It's easy work. They just make it sound difficult. The worst thing is dealing with the weather. We will be out in all types. Get proper gear like underarmour or ski gear and the cold will be much more bearable. Looks like this winter could be a rough on too. Also. If you want to see the family try to get days. Nights is where most of the OT is. Have fun man.

Btw Dunnlick is it really only 20 people in your class?

UPO it is only 20 folks in the class small. You start training in a classroom be prepared to be bored out your minds it's paperwork and speakers all day the clear plastic folder and the paper folder not one with blue cover they go over from cover to cover everything. Pay is great benifits are amazing got the 401k this job is def well worth the wait people. You will get you metro card/employee card on your first day it's only good for NYCT with some exceptions. Tomorrow gonna be more of the same paperwork meet with the union which is wonderful just looks like he beginning of a fantastic career.

On a side note does anyone know the address of he most northern Bronx yard.

I hope I can flash it on the Metro North and ride for free - I'm paying close to $300 a month to ride it now but my current job pays well. It would suck to take a pay hit joining the MTA and still have to pay that monthly to ride the Metro North.

I hope I can flash it on the Metro North and ride for free - I'm paying close to $300 a month to ride it now but my current job pays well. It would suck to take a pay hit joining the MTA and still have to pay that monthly to ride the Metro North.

those that take merto north and the LIRR will get free passes....

yeah I know dunnlick. I worked for the post office for 10 years. This would have been my 16th year. Long story but I left to start my own asset management firm. The benefits here are way better than the P.O. As for passes to ride the train daveyboy...you get a separate pass for metro north they should have given you the form during final processing. I live in long island so I had to fill out a form for a LIRR pass in addition to getting my MTA pass. Your pass is also good for life even when you retire. When I was taking my photo for ID as a matter of fact a retired dude came in to get a new pass. Also if you want or need more OT pick capital. I actually get first pick in my class since I was the first or second one to be sworn in for the oct 26th class. I will be picking capital for sure. Got a lot of catching up to do financially. Anyone pciking health insurance I can speak from experience that the empire plan is great. I used to have GHI which was great. But that empire plan is better and much much cheaper. Also utilize that FSA especially if you have kids. It will lower your tax bracket so that you get more money back on your taxes. It will also make up to 5k of your money tax free. Read that FSA info carefully. You can use the money to pay a relitive who is not your dependant "babysitting" fees up to 5k take that money and pay some bills tax free. I've helped many people retire and save for retirement. One of the major things that separates people who have money from those who dont is that the people who have understand how to use the tax code to avoid overpaying and to lower their tax burden. If done correctly a person making 60k a year can live like they are making 100k a year. On the other hand the person making 100k who doesnt understand how to use the tax code to their advantage may as well be making 60k a year. It makes a big difference and is all legal because you have to provide certain paperwork to use certain things. Anyway make sure you put a minimum of 10% into your 401k. I will be putting 20% because i will be doing a good amount of OT.

Edited by UPO 1