Planned Subway Service Changes

14 hours ago, zacster said:

Maybe they are doing it for the auto show this time, but Hudson Yards is completely built up now, on the assumption that there would be subway service there.  To treat that station as just a tourist spot is selling them short.

Maybe the Auto Show promoters paid the (MTA) to have the shuttle in place? 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

No one pays us to run services one way or another.

Well on TikTok there was a video of an empty (2) train picking up passengers at 149th and skipping every single stop just for these group of people/passengers….. they paid for this

Planned - Stops Skipped

In Queens, Manhattan-bound (N) skips 30 Av, Broadway, 36 Av and 39 Av-Dutch Kills

Apr 19 - 22, Fri 11:45 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

For service to these stations, take the (N) to Queensboro Plaza and transfer to an Astoria-bound (N).

For service from these stations, take the (N) to Astoria Blvd and transfer to a Manhattan-bound (N).

What's happening?

We're making accessibility improvements

Reduced Service

(N) runs every 15 minutes days and evenings

At Queensboro Plaza all trains arrive/depart on the upper level platform

Apr 20 - 21, Sat and Sun, all day

What's happening?

We're making accessibility improvements

(N) trains are single-tracking around Queensboro Plaza while running express to Manhattan since there's no switch from Astoria to get to the upper level. Very interesting, kinda sucks that they'll be running 15 minute intervals, but can't really do much else.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

(N) trains are single-tracking around Queensboro Plaza while running express to Manhattan since there's no switch from Astoria to get to the upper level. Very interesting, kinda sucks that they'll be running 15 minute intervals, but can't really do much else.

That seems completely unnecessary. Split the (N) by alternating between 96th St and Astoria so everyone isn’t waiting 15 minutes for a train.

41 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

That seems completely unnecessary. Split the (N) by alternating between 96th St and Astoria so everyone isn’t waiting 15 minutes for a train.

18 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Not possible, 96 will be occupied by the Mikey that weekend.

Even with the (M) to 96 St/2 Av that weekend, maybe the (N) could join IF the (Q) is having any more Brighton Line work done that could be piggybacked since 2 Av would be serviced by the (M) and (N) (in your hypothetical proposal).

even if it were to pass, you’d have two (N) branches each every 24 minutes, and a high likelihood for uneven service especially southbound.

20 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Not possible, 96 will be occupied by the Mikey that weekend.

And why not cut the (Q) between Prospect Park & 96th St/2nd Av while they continue 7th Av’s track work and fit the (N) on 2nd? Solves both issues.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And why not cut the (Q) between Prospect Park & 96th St/2nd Av while they continue 7th Av’s track work and fit the (N) on 2nd? Solves both issues.

Yep that could work, just cut the (Q) to a Brooklyn-only service and run the (M)(N) on 2 Av (each every 12 minutes) and shuttle buses for Astoria and Brighton I’m assuming? The (M) could handle 96 St on its own (if it ran every 8 minutes in place of the (Q)) but the (N) via 2 Av…no. Just leave it every 15 minutes its regular route. There’s already too many crew shortages to be adding service Willy-nilly

Edited by darkstar8983

5 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yep that could work, just cut the (Q) to a Brooklyn-only service and run the (M)(N) on 2 Av (each every 12 minutes) and shuttle buses for Astoria and Brighton I’m assuming? The (M) could handle 96 St on its own (if it ran every 8 minutes in place of the (Q)) but the (N) via 2 Av…no. Just leave it every 15 minutes its regular route. There’s already too many crew shortages to be adding service Willy-nilly

Where else are you going to run the (N)? My main concern is that they want to run near-late night headways on one of the busiest Broadway Locals on a weekend. That’s why I offered 96th St at first, then 21st St (but I forgot the (F) shuttle is going away this weekend), then Queens Plaza (have the (R) go via 63rd St).

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Where else are you going to run the (N)? My main concern is that they want to run near-late night headways on one of the busiest Broadway Locals on a weekend. That’s why I offered 96th St at first, then 21st St (but I forgot the (F) shuttle is going away this weekend), then Queens Plaza (have the (R) go via 63rd St).

I’d just run it the regular Astoria-Coney Island service and people will just have to tough it out. There’s not enough crews to run a second (N) service from 96 St to Coney Island, to supplement. I’m assuming many Astoria riders will be ubering, biking, or walking to the (R) to avoid the backtracking to Astoria Blvd, which is annoying especially when the (N) is not reliable with trains meeting at Astoria Blvd for transfers. A lot of times, the Manhattan bound train leaves JUST AS the Astoria-bound train is entering with a full load of passengers, forcing another 15 minute wait.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

To my knowledge they are done with that project, at least for now. 

as a matter of fact, most of the work coming up on the Q is at the north end.

12 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

To my knowledge they are done with that project, at least for now. 

as a matter of fact, most of the work coming up on the Q is at the north end.

Oh they finished it? Wow, thought it would’ve taken them longer.

Planned - Part Suspended

In Brooklyn, no (Q) between Kings Hwy and Coney Island-Stillwell Av

Apr 26 - 29, Fri 11:30 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

(Q) runs between 96 St and Kings Hwy, the last stop. 

Planned - Part Suspended

In Brooklyn, no (F) between Kings Hwy and Coney Island-Stillwell Av

Apr 27 - 29, Sat 12:15 AM to Mon 5:00 AM

(F) trains run between Jamaica-179 St and Kings Hwy, the last stop.  

Both the (F) and (Q) cut south of Kings Highway on the same weekend??? This is a first and it’s not great at all…

19 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Even with the (M) to 96 St/2 Av that weekend, maybe the (N) could join IF the (Q) is having any more Brighton Line work done that could be piggybacked since 2 Av would be serviced by the (M) and (N) (in your hypothetical proposal).

even if it were to pass, you’d have two (N) branches each every 24 minutes, and a high likelihood for uneven service especially southbound.

Why not then do the (M) to 145 and have the (Q) and half of the (N) both to 96th/2nd (trains not going to Astorita)?  That would solve both issues,

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Why not then do the (M) to 145 and have the (Q) and half of the (N) both to 96th/2nd (trains not going to Astorita)?  That would solve both issues,

Why send the (M) to the 8th Ave line when there's no need for it that weekend with the (A)(C)(D) and (1) running fine that weekend. Some of these ideas to try to shove the (N) to 2nd Avenue are a bit much for that one weekend.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Because the A, C and D sharing the downtown express track on CPW, there is no room.

and this Go is to supplement for the lack of the L in Manhattan, what good would 145 do for that?

Didn't realize CPW was also tied up.

The main purpose of the (M) to 145 would have been to allow for an (N) split between Astoria and 96/2 to allow for closer-to-normal (N) service.  

And the main purpose of sending the M up from Essex in the first place is because there is no L service between 8th and Lorimer at all. The N is at least running to all its station stops.

On the hierarchy of service changes, substituting for service suspension comes before limited frequency.

it’s one weekend. You know how often I’ve had to deal with complete suspensions of service on week days on the M around my house?

little tired of people moving heaven and earth to make life easier for some people, while little old me, shuttle bus at 9 AM on a Tuesday…

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Because the A, C and D sharing the downtown express track on CPW, there is no room.

and this Go is to supplement for the lack of the L in Manhattan, what good would 145 do for that?

I mean in his defense, they did run the (M) to 145th St when the (L) was out, although I forgot the reason why. 

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I mean in his defense, they did run the (M) to 145th St when the (L) was out, although I forgot the reason why. 

That happened nearly 5 years ago when (1)(2)(3) service was cut for a few weekends south of 96th Street. (M) Trains were sent to 145th to supplement service in Manhattan.