Planned Subway Service Changes

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Interesting choice of end stations… There are no switches to turn back trains in either direction from 103 Street to 125 Street (inclusive).

It’s hard to turn trains normally between Dyckman Street and 242 Street too given that they are all side platforms and the switches aren’t all there for that kind of operation, but the segment is short enough for single-tracking.

Yeah the Dyckman St to 242 St shuttle will need to have downtown trains skip 207 St. As for the south section, there’s Probabaly work at 125 St and 137 St stations, that prevent those stations from being accessible to passengers. And also likely work in the two-track section between 145 St and Dyckman St. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Probabaly work at 125 St and 137 St stations, that prevent those stations from being accessible to passengers.

Yeah… but both platforms though? There are no island platforms along that segment, and the entrances are separate. If the trains are passing through to turn, they can definitely serve one or the other platform at each of the traversed stations.

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

Yeah… but both platforms though? There are no island platforms along that segment, and the entrances are separate. If the trains are passing through to turn, they can definitely serve one or the other platform at each of the traversed stations.

I think it must be work on the viaduct near 125 St (the outdoor section) mainly but there’s Probabaly other work. But yes I don’t think it makes sense to have only one platform in service, because then in one direction trains cannot serve the station. 

assuming that only one platform at 137 St is available, you COULD in theory have an operation where trains in one direction skip all stops from 96 St to 137 St, while the other direction trains make all stops except 125 St, requiring 

1. backtracking for all passengers north of 96 St

2. shuttle buses running from 116 St anyways (or at least 125 St to Dyckman St)

this way The 116 St option leaves service available in both directions at 116 St, 110’St, and 103’St, and shuttle buses north.

this is not the first time trains have done this type of operation where trains are discharged 2 stations away from an interlocking outside a cold weather plan.

most famous example: in the 2010s the (Q) was suspended between either Parkside Av or Church Av and 57 St-7 Av, even though the trains needed to relay at Prospect Park

the Rockaway park (S) during the summers ends at Rockaway Blvd even though the interlocking is between 88 St and 80 St.

22 hours ago, CenSin said:

Interesting choice of end stations… There are no switches to turn back trains in either direction from 103 Street to 125 Street (inclusive).

It’s hard to turn trains normally between Dyckman Street and 242 Street too given that they are all side platforms and the switches aren’t all there for that kind of operation, but the segment is short enough for single-tracking.

Downtown (1) Trains switch to the express track before 207th, skipping that station in the process. That shuttle isn't a 1-track operation and its been done plenty of time during the past few months.

The curious bit is trains terminating at 116th. My guess is that structural work is being done on 125th St and 137th, hence why trains won't serve there. (1) Trains can technically switch back to the downtown track without having to use 137th at all.

Maybe it has something to do with installing those platform barriers at 125th and 137th like at 191st, while having trains turn at 137th.

This weekend only downtown (1) are skipping 191 for "station improvements", the presidents weekend GO also says station improvements. And people have posted pics of the new barriers at 191

Just speculating

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Maybe it has something to do with installing those platform barriers at 125th and 137th like at 191st, while having trains turn at 137th.

This weekend only downtown (1) are skipping 191 for "station improvements", the presidents weekend GO also says station improvements. And people have posted pics of the new barriers at 191

Just speculating

The G.O. posting has "Structural improvements" listed, not station improvements.

6 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The G.O. posting has "Structural improvements" listed, not station improvements.

It actually has "Station Improvements" listed under there for the 191 Street bypass; I just looked at the entry for the planned service changes for the (1) train.

49 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

It actually has "Station Improvements" listed under there for the 191 Street bypass; I just looked at the entry for the planned service changes for the (1) train.

I was referring to the President's day G.O. not the 191st St one for Structural maintenance.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

Another interesting GO for the Presidents’ Day week. (9:30PM Friday Feb 16 until 5AM Monday Feb 26).
(F) (Q) trains cut from Coney Island.

(F) trains run only from 179 St to Kings Highway

(Q) Trains run only from 96 St to Brighton Beach

**interesting to note: the (B) is still going to Brighton Beach this week too. Maybe they’ll do the operation that the Brighton Line had in 2003, where the (Q) ended on the southbound platform and the <Q> ended on the northbound platform, and using the stub track between Brighton Beach and Ocean Parkway to turn equipment around, since the interlocking north of Brighton Beach cannot have trains from the local tracks reach the opposite local track.

either that or the (B) train GO where it’s cut to Kings Highway isn’t posted yet

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Another interesting GO for the Presidents’ Day week. (9:30PM Friday Feb 16 until 5AM Monday Feb 26).
(F) (Q) trains cut from Coney Island.

(F) trains run only from 179 St to Kings Highway

(Q) Trains run only from 96 St to Brighton Beach

**interesting to note: the (B) is still going to Brighton Beach this week too. Maybe they’ll do the operation that the Brighton Line had in 2003, where the (Q) ended on the southbound platform and the <Q> ended on the northbound platform, and using the stub track between Brighton Beach and Ocean Parkway to turn equipment around, since the interlocking north of Brighton Beach cannot have trains from the local tracks reach the opposite local track.

either that or the (B) train GO where it’s cut to Kings Highway isn’t posted yet

(B) service ends around that time the G.O starts up. The last Manhattan-bound train leaves Brighton at around 9 PM and the last to arrive from Manhattan is around 10-10:30. They can easily cut off (B) service early on Friday.

7 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

(B) service ends around that time the G.O starts up. The last Manhattan-bound train leaves Brighton at around 9 PM and the last to arrive from Manhattan is around 10-10:30. They can easily cut off (B) service early on Friday.

No. It’s a week-long GO. For Friday I’m sure Brighton Beach can handle a few extra dead-head trips, but I meant for that Presidents’ Day week the GO will be in effect. And the (B) cut to Kings Highway wasn’t posted - that’s what’s I meant. Either it’s not posted YET or they’ll try the 2002–2004 operation at Brighton Beach with both the (B)(Q) there, so that way (B) service doesn’t need to be reduced.

Edited by darkstar8983

14 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Downtown (1) Trains switch to the express track before 207th, skipping that station in the process. That shuttle isn't a 1-track operation and its been done plenty of time during the past few months.

The curious bit is trains terminating at 116th. My guess is that structural work is being done on 125th St and 137th, hence why trains won't serve there. (1) Trains can technically switch back to the downtown track without having to use 137th at all.

I'm sorry, but at that point, just end service at 96th St. Serving two extra stations is kinda pointless.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm sorry, but at that point, just end service at 96th St. Serving two extra stations is kinda pointless.

That’s even worse, with (1) trains either still needing to go up so they can change to the downtown track, or disrupt (2) and (3) trains by using the express switches. It would make sense if (2) and (3) service was also cut to 96th.

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

No. It’s a week-long GO. For Friday I’m sure Brighton Beach can handle a few extra dead-head trips, but I meant for that Presidents’ Day week the GO will be in effect. And the (B) cut to Kings Highway wasn’t posted - that’s what’s I meant. Either it’s not posted YET or they’ll try the 2002–2004 operation at Brighton Beach with both the (B)(Q) there, so that way (B) service doesn’t need to be reduced.

Just saw it clearer and I apologize for the error if it turns out to be a week long operation. The (F) posting also has that date stretch so either this is truly week-long, or they bunched up both weekends into one stretch making it look like a long term change. I’ll need to come back to this once the postings for Feb 17-25 are posted.

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

That’s even worse, with (1) trains either still needing to go up so they can change to the downtown track, or disrupt (2) and (3) trains by using the express switches. It would make sense if (2) and (3) service was also cut to 96th.

Just saw it clearer and I apologize for the error if it turns out to be a week long operation. The (F) posting also has that date stretch so either this is truly week-long, or they bunched up both weekends into one stretch making it look like a long term change. I’ll need to come back to this once the postings for Feb 17-25 are posted.

No worries. Yeah I was confused too when I saw it. Transit now seems to be doing a lot more of these 9-10 day closures to expedite track replacement, instead of doing 4-5 weekends of closures 

The (B) will be running only every 12 minutes all day between 6AM and 9PM between Bedford Park Blvd/145 St and Kings Highway during  that 10-day GO. Reduced service. Guess only the (Q) will serve Brighton Beach, and equipment will need to parked on the Brighton Express tracks to supplement rush hour (B)(Q) service since the only access to Coney Island Yard will be through 4 Av.

Edited by darkstar8983

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (B) will be running only every 12 minutes all day between 6AM and 9PM between Bedford Park Blvd/145 St and Kings Highway during  that 10-day GO. Reduced service. Guess only the (Q) will serve Brighton Beach, and equipment will need to parked on the Brighton Express tracks to supplement rush hour (B)(Q) service since the only access to Coney Island Yard will be through 4 Av.

Good thing they're doing this during the mid-winter recess for public school students instead of any other weekday.

On 1/21/2024 at 10:26 AM, Lawrence St said:

Actually, it's three additional stops (103rd, 110th and 116th) and 116th is the most important of that as that is Columbia University.  How they would do that is beyond me.

And they could have the (1) end at 96th and switch over using switches that come up after the (2) and (3) go over to Lenox before 103 on the (1)

For those that use the (6) during the evening-late night, there will be service disruptions on the route in Mid-February:

No (6) between Hunts Point Av and 125 St

Feb 12 - 16, Mon to Fri, and Feb 20 - 23, Tue to Fri, 9:30 PM to 5:00 AM

(6) runs in two sections

1. Between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and 125 St and via the (4) to/from 149 St-Grand Concourse

2. Between Hunts Point Av and Pelham Bay Park

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses make all stops between 125 St and Hunts Point Av.

Transfer between trains and Shuttle Bus at Hunts Point Av Accessibility and 125 St Accessibility.

Note: Uptown (6) trains skip the 138 St-Grand Concourse (4) station.

What's happening?

Fastrack maintenance

On 1/24/2024 at 10:21 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

For those that use the (6) during the evening-late night, there will be service disruptions on the route in Mid-February:

No (6) between Hunts Point Av and 125 St

Feb 12 - 16, Mon to Fri, and Feb 20 - 23, Tue to Fri, 9:30 PM to 5:00 AM

(6) runs in two sections

1. Between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and 125 St and via the (4) to/from 149 St-Grand Concourse

2. Between Hunts Point Av and Pelham Bay Park

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses make all stops between 125 St and Hunts Point Av.

Transfer between trains and Shuttle Bus at Hunts Point Av Accessibility and 125 St Accessibility.

Note: Uptown (6) trains skip the 138 St-Grand Concourse (4) station.

What's happening?

Fastrack maintenance

Mid February?

• 2 weeks later...

Planned - Part Suspended

No (D) service between Coney Island and W 4 St-Wash Sq, and trains are rerouted in Midtown Manhattan
Mar 1 - 4, Fri 11:30 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

Downtown (D) runs via the C after 59 St-Columbus Circle to W 4 St-Wash Sq and via the (F) to 2 Av, the last stop.

Uptown (D) runs via the (F) from 2 Av to 34 St-Herald Sq, and resumes regular service.

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses make stops between W 4 St-Wash Sq and Grand St, stopping at Broadway-Lafayette St.

(Q) replaces (D) service in Brooklyn running between 96 St and Atlantic Av and then via the (D) to/from Coney Island.

(Note: (Q) shuttle also operates in Brooklyn between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Prospect Park.)

Planned - Part Suspended

In Brooklyn, no (Q) between Atlantic Av and Prospect Park

Service runs in two sections

(Q) runs in two sections (every 12 minutes days/evenings):

1. Between 96 St and Atlantic Av, then via the (D) to/from Coney Island
2. Shuttle train between Prospect Park and Coney Island

Northbound (N) trains are also rerouted via the (D) so going to be a very interesting weekend.

7 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Planned - Part Suspended

No (D) service between Coney Island and W 4 St-Wash Sq, and trains are rerouted in Midtown Manhattan

Downtown (D) runs via the C after 59 St-Columbus Circle to W 4 St-Wash Sq and via the (F) to 2 Av, the last stop.

Uptown (D) runs via the (F) from 2 Av to 34 St-Herald Sq, and resumes regular service.

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses make stops between W 4 St-Wash Sq and Grand St, stopping at Broadway-Lafayette St.

(Q) replaces (D) service in Brooklyn running between 96 St and Atlantic Av and then via the (D) to/from Coney Island.

(Note: (Q) shuttle also operates in Brooklyn between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Prospect Park.)

Planned - Part Suspended

In Brooklyn, no (Q) between Atlantic Av and Prospect Park

Service runs in two sections

(Q) runs in two sections (every 12 minutes days/evenings):

1. Between 96 St and Atlantic Av, then via the (D) to/from Coney Island
2. Shuttle train between Prospect Park and Coney Island

Northbound (N) trains are also rerouted via the (D) so going to be a very interesting weekend.

I suspect there is work being done between DeKalb and Prospect Park on the (Q) which is why this is being done.

Personally, I would have on weekends have the (D) run via the (F) at all times between West 4th and 34th.  This would allow the weekend (M) to be extended to West 4th where it can terminate and use the express tunnel to turn. 

that's a lot more switching moves than we are comfortable with, more so since everyone is going to be crossing in front of everyone else... might have to staff West 4th tower every weekend for this... and we only just put it in remote mode a few years ago when 34 Master came online. 

The (M) should just be reduced to every 12 minutes weekends but extended to 57 St (or 96 St-2 Av when the 63 St reconstruction is done). The (D)(F) alone on 6 Av don’t cut it and there could be ridership gains from having a full (M) service 7-days a week

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (M) should just be reduced to every 12 minutes weekends but extended to 57 St (or 96 St-2 Av when the 63 St reconstruction is done). The (D)(F) alone on 6 Av don’t cut it and there could be ridership gains from having a full (M) service 7-days a week

I fully support an (M) extension but want it to 145th St & CPW on weekends to help out the (C).

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I fully support an (M) extension but want it to 145th St & CPW on weekends to help out the (C).

The solution is to run the (B) on its truncated route as a local outside of Midtown.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Then run it to Forest Hills.