Brownsville declared most dangerous neighborhood after shootings

realizm

crime15n-635x390.jpg

"In the summer of the gun, nowhere is more dangerous than Brownsville as Brooklyn neighborhood has more shooting victims than any other place in the city

Four youths wounded at Fish Playground in drive-by on Monday bring number of shooting victims to 69 this year. Neighborhood home to several gangs, including the Hood Stars and 8 Block

Kids getting clipped by bullets on a basketball court. A precious 2-year-old girl wounded in a drive-by. A Father’s Day barbecue guest killed in a storm of 23 gunshots.

Welcome to Brownsville.

The neighborhood sits in the Brooklyn police precinct with more shooting victims this year than any other place in the city. There was a shooting during a basketball game at Fish Playground about 6:30 p.m. Monday — another crime that spread fear through the neighborhood.

“Now I am afraid of the park,” said Judea Mattry, 9, whose family lives in an apartment overlooking the playground. “People are killing people. Some people are crazy. Some people have beef.”

court15n-2-web.jpg

Forever Allah, 57, with his 9-year-old granddaughter Judea Mattry. Judea, who lives next door to the playground says she afraid to go inside the park.Four youths were wounded in the Monday evening shooting, bringing the number of people shot in Brownsville to 69 this year — up from 57 at this time in 2011. In addition to the gunplay, overall crime is up 5% in the 73rd Precinct this year — slightly above the citywide rate.

Local parents share Judea’s concerns about crime in the troubled neighborhood. Steve Singleton, 38, said his kids know the drill if they hear gunshots: Stop, drop and roll.

“It’s the environment we live in,” said Singleton. “I have to teach my kids how to stay safe.”

The playground shooter escaped on a bicycle after opening fire on a lazy summer’s night.

None of the quartet of teen victims was the intended target, police said Tuesday. The shooting occurred when two teens were arguing near the bleachers off the court, and one pulled a silver handgun, witnesses said.

court15n-3-web.jpg

Real Estate of Fish Playground on Fulton Street, Brooklyn related to a shooting on 8/13/12.Jamella Thomas, whose wounded 15-year-old still has a bullet lodged in his chest from the shooting, told the Daily News that she worries now about letting him leave the house.

“The one day he says, ‘Mom, can I go to the park, please?’ — this is what I get,” said the rattled Thomas, 32. “I’m walking in fear now.”

Surgeons said they can’t remove the bullet for several weeks, leaving it “just inches from his heart,” said Thomas.

The mother of a 16-year-old wounded alongside Thomas’ boy said she was horrified after hearing about the game interrupted by gunfire.

“I was frantic, hysterical,” said Cathyann Smith, 42, a housekeeper. “He’s the only son I have. We’ve got to get rid of the guns.”

Source: Daily News- http://www.nydailyne...5#ixzz23czGrsB6

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sad that Brownsville makes the Bronx look good.

lol... These days the Bronx and Brownsville are constantly on the news and not for good reasons either... You would think they'd put more cops around in the troubled areas like Brownsville and in the Bronx. Funny thing is there are plenty of cops in Riverdale though... My question is though what is most of the violence from in Brownsville? If it is gang related, doesn't the NYPD have a gang division unit to help cool things down?

Admittably this is old news to me too. Brownsville as long as I can remember was always a very dangerous area. I've lived in Brownsville a decade ago and for about only a few months. As long as the person living there dont find themselves in the wrong places at the wrong time, generally mind their business, and don't act like their imtimidated by the scenes they will see, a person there can be fine. But off course it's not the ideal place to live and if a person finds themselves there and can afford to move out, then obviously they can move out. Just saying.

Yeah I've lived in Brownsville and the South Bronx. I personally think the South Bronx is much better. All kinds of things going on, and the area is riddled with Bloods but I never had a problem yet. It's been two years now living up in the boogie down.

Admittably this is old news to me too. Brownsville as long as I can remember was always a very dangerous area. I've lived in Brownsville a decade ago and for about only a few months. As long as the person living there dont find themselves in the wrong places at the wrong time, generally mind their business, and don't act like their imtimidated by the scenes they will see, a person there can be fine. But off course it's not the ideal place to live and if a person finds themselves there and can afford to move out, then obviously they can move out. Just saying.

Yeah I've lived in Brownsville and the South Bronx. I personally think the South Bronx is much better. All kinds of things going on, and the area is riddled with Bloods but I never had a problem yet. It's been two years now living up in the boogie down.

Hmm... Good for you... I'm an original Brooklynite from Sheepshead Bay and Brownsville... It was a dump when I was a kid and it seems like with all of the hipsters invading Brooklyn and all of the changes coming to the borough, Brownsville has always been the same... Dangerous... I've never stepped foot near there and probably never will. Now I live in Riverdale and I doubt I'll ever step foot in the "Boogie Down Bronx" as you call it... Unless I'm passing through on the express bus or MetroNorth. :lol:

Hmm... Good for you... I'm an original Brooklynite from Sheepshead Bay and Brownsville... It was a dump when I was a kid and it seems like with all of the hipsters invading Brooklyn and all of the changes coming to the borough, Brownsville has always been the same... Dangerous... I've never stepped foot near there and probably never will. Now I live in Riverdale and I doubt I'll ever step foot in the "Boogie Down Bronx" as you call it... Unless I'm passing through on the express bus or MetroNorth. :lol:

Again Riverdale is part of the Bronx so stop separting it. The postal code says "bronx ny" not riverdale ny VG8. I know most in Riverdale hate the Bronx and want to be part of Manhattan but just wanted to clairfy to everyone else on the boards.

Back to issue. This is not new news the problems with brownsville. However with the hipster craze hitting most of Brooklyn, you would think Brownsville would start to get better.

Again Riverdale is part of the Bronx so stop separting it. The postal code says "bronx ny" not riverdale ny VG8. I know most in Riverdale hate the Bronx and want to be part of Manhattan but just wanted to clairfy to everyone else on the boards.

Back to issue. This is not new news the problems with brownsville. However with the hipster craze hitting most of Brooklyn, you would think Brownsville would start to get better.

Ladies and Gents here the proof and i rest my case with Riverdale being in the Bronx. Plus US census and NYC maps on standby. Await VG8 reply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale,_Bronx

Well maybe it's because of the location of Brownsville. Is it a schlepp to get to by public transportation? Otherwise I'm not sure why it hasn't saw any gentrification like other run down parts of Brooklyn.

As for Riverdale, I get mail that says Riverdale, NY, not Bronx, NY and all of the businesses here say Riverdale, NY, so that's what it is. Back to topic...

I honestly think that if developers wanted to gentrify Brownsville they could, but I guess there is no selling point. I mean look at Coney Island. It was a dump for years and now you've got the cops down there making it safe and it is up and coming once again. The thing that Coney Island has going for it though is it is by the water and is a tourist attraction to boot.

Well maybe it's because of the location of Brownsville. Is it a schlepp to get to by public transportation? Otherwise I'm not sure why it hasn't saw any gentrification like other run down parts of Brooklyn.

As for Riverdale, I get mail that says Riverdale, NY, not Bronx, NY and all of the businesses here say Riverdale, NY, so that's what it is. Back to topic...

I honestly think that if developers wanted to gentrify Brownsville they could, but I guess there is no selling point. I mean look at Coney Island. It was a dump for years and now you've got the cops down there making it safe and it is up and coming once again. The thing that Coney Island has going for it though is it is by the water and is a tourist attraction to boot.

Brownsville has the worst transit options in the Central Brooklyn area. You only have the (3) and late nights the (4) serving that area. I let B35 explain it further.

lol... These days the Bronx and Brownsville are constantly on the news and not for good reasons either... You would think they'd put more cops around in the troubled areas like Brownsville and in the Bronx. Funny thing is there are plenty of cops in Riverdale though... My question is though what is most of the violence from in Brownsville? If it is gang related, doesn't the NYPD have a gang division unit to help cool things down?

Of course, he has to throw in the Riverdale vs. Bronx deal.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Riverdale-Bronx-NY.html

Riverdale neighborhood in Bronx, NY is the official name. <_< Everybody who's been putting down Riverdale, NY has it wrong.

It's an issue of transportation. Areas like Williamsburg are just a couple of stops from Manhattan, whereas in Brownsville, you're further out. You don't even have a one-seat express ride (except for those few put-ins from the Livonia Yard) like they do further west in Crown Heights (and if you take the (L), there's obviously no express route). I mean, hipsters gravitate towards more frequent lines, preferably ones that are either right by Manhattan (Williamsburg, DUMBO, etc), or along an express line (Bed-Stuy with the (A), Crown Heights with the (4), etc). You notice that in Bushwick, people tend to consider the areas by the (L) better than those by the (J) (and aside from that, elevated lines cause a blight in the surrounding area)

And there are parts of the area that are kind of far from the subway as well (I remember listening to two people talking about how somebody lived "far out" because they lived a few blocks from one of the (L) stations in East Williamsburg). I mean, if you live up by Pitkin Avenue, it's a 1/2 mile walk to the subway, and aside from that, you have housing projects taking up a large portion of the neighborhood. I mean, Mother Gaston Blvd north of Livonia Avenue is mostly housing projects.

I remember an article talking about how people pushed out of Bed-Stuy were moving to East NY, so the same thing is probably happening in Brownsville to a certain extent.

And on a side note, Brownsville is not a city. It's a neighborhood. (TBH, I didn't really see the point of this article, since it's pretty well-known that Brownsville has one of the highest crime rates in the city)

Round two?? :huh:

Something to aimlessy post to kill time while I'm waiting for this virtual image to install on this workstation. Please go on discuss as men. Postal codes: Riverdale vs. Bronx NY. I need an answer myself so I dont mail things to Riverdale, Utah instead of the Bronx.

Something to aimlessy post to kill time while I'm waiting for this virtual image to install on this workstation. Please go on discuss as men. Postal codes: Riverdale vs. Bronx NY. I need an answer myself so I dont mail things to Riverdale, Utah instead of the Bronx.

Last I checked, Riverdale is within city limits on any map you look at, it's in the Bronx, period

Well Riverdale residents put Riverdale, NY and so do the businesses. We live here and that's how we do things here and that's the way it has been for years. We have our own little town here if you will. The post office is well aware of it too, so I get all of my mail that says Riverdale, NY on it and it isn't a mistake either. That's the way it is and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Back to topic...

I am curious as to how in the world the South Bronx is supposedly safer than Brownsville in your opinion?? :huh: Don't they both have the same issues... Gang violence??

Well Riverdale residents put Riverdale, NY and so do the businesses. We live here and that's how we do things here and that's the way it has been for years. We have our own little town here if you will. The post office is well aware of it too, so I get all of my mail that says Riverdale, NY on it and it isn't a mistake either. That's the way it is and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Back to topic...

I am curious as to how in the world the South Bronx is supposedly safer than Brownsville in your opinion?? :huh: Don't they both have the same issues... Gang violence??

All I have to go by is experience.

Not that I was ever apprehended by thugs in Brownsville vs the Bronx, but I can walk in the middle of Webster Avenue @3AM looking for a 6 pack of beer and not get touched. I did in Brownsville along New Lots going to 24 hr spots for cigarrettes at early hours, but honesty I did'nt like the vibes I was getting there from ppl. Yeah there are plenty of gangbangers out here in the Bronx, much more then what I've ever seen in Brooklyn but they never caused problems for me. They don't look hard at me or anything. They don't ask me for a quarter or anything like that. They do have an idea who I am and so they're cool with me.

Could'nt do that exactly in Brownsville. I had to take a different approach which is simply "last person you want to even try to f**k with is me", looks and all. It worked for me. Fortunately I did'nt have to go besides myself in the Bronx as I'm not a thug, just trying to establish a career, chase girls and make money like everyone else here.

All I have to go by is experience.

Not that I was ever apprehended by thugs in Brownsville vs the Bronx, but I can walk in the middle of Webster Avenue @3AM looking for a 6 pack of beer and not get touched. I did in Brownsville along New Lots going to 24 hr spots for cigarrettes at early hours, but honesty I did'nt like the vibes I was getting there from ppl. Yeah there are plenty of gangbangers out here in the Bronx, much more then what I've ever seen in Brooklyn but they never caused problems for me. They don't look hard at me or anything. They don't ask me for a quarter or anything like that. They do have an idea who I am and so they're cool with me.

Could'nt do that exactly in Brownsville. I had to take a different approach which is simply "last person you want to even try to f**k with is me", looks and all. It worked for me. Fortunately I did'nt have to go besides myself in the Bronx as I'm not a thug, just trying to establish a career, chase girls and make money like everyone else here.

Very interesting... I could honestly say that I wouldn't feel comfortable in either area. I guess I'm too used to the suburbs. Not to say that I couldn't survive there per se, but I would stand out for sure. :lol:

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that Brownsville would be considered the most dangerous. I could think of a few areas that were on par with them but maybe they've been taken out of the picture due to gentrification...

That and the fact that they're always putting rookie cops out there

But why would any cop with time on the job want to work in that hell hole? Even active cops (guys who are proactive and like to make good collars) avoid that place.

Archived