Brownsville declared most dangerous neighborhood after shootings

realizm

The point some of you have made in the last few posts is why I don't like the city-data forums......

Any area where it's predominately black or hispanic, stay away, tread with caution....

Sarcastic askings of questions such as 'is this area dangerous' or 'is this area safe' when referring to such neighborhoods don't help matters either.....

Yeah, people will make what they want to out of certain neighborhoods alright.....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brownsville, the 'ville". Call it what you want. I lived there in the mid-fifties and it and it's neighbor Ocean Hill were rough but nothing to fear. The oldtimers said it was rougher before the projects were built.

Yeah I heard that New York was much more violent back in the early 20th century then it was even in the 70's. That much is suprisingly true.

What's wrong with the Boogie Down Bronx? Hell even Brooklyn is becoming yuppified (minus Brownsville, but who knows) maybe that will gentrify in time too. Never say never. :lol:

lol on the comments, but really I have no complaints about the Bronx, I'm just just clowning around in my posts and going off topic. That's my trademark... Anyway, I do want to move out sooner or later but strictly for personal reasons not because of high levels of crimes, actually many areas of the Bronx is alright.

I am working on coming home ... to Flushing Queens right smack in Main Street after so many years. I'm just working on the promotion to network administrator right now, and low rents in the Bronx makes it ideal to get my finantial situation in order to afford the high rents in Flushing.

I like the Bronx, it features some very lively communities with a cultural flavor to it that I find pleasing.

You can say I'm kind of homesick....

The point some of you have made in the last few posts is why I don't like the city-data forums......

Any area where it's predominately black or hispanic, stay away, tread with caution....

Sarcastic askings of questions such as 'is this area dangerous' or 'is this area safe' when referring to such neighborhoods don't help matters either.....

Yeah, people will make what they want to out of certain neighborhoods alright.....

I don't mess with that website, people get their panties up in a bunch over things such as minority population

Fresh Pond agree 100%. Does Riverdale have it's own boro President? Last time i check they have a Bronx boro President. However the high almighty VG8 will disagree and think Riverdale is in Westchester County or Midtown Manhattan.

Lets just let him think what what he wants. VG8 is acting like Riverdale is the old tv classic kids show "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" segment called the "Land of Make Believe." Where no riff raff live and it's only Mitt Romney type Millionaries lol. :lol:

Well I can tell you right now that there are plenty of people that live in Riverdale that wouldn't live in areas of the Bronx, no matter how nice they are, so it isn't just me or me trying to make the place more than what it is. I'm just stating what is out there. There have even been news articles written about whether or not Riverdale is truly part of the Bronx. Yes, officially it is part of the Bronx, but the point is the place is complete opposite of the rest of the borough, even the nicer parts and that's not to say that it is so much better or anything. It's just different, plain and simple in every aspect. :lol:

Here's a quote from someone other than me on Riverdale:

"You don't hear about Riverdale because it's just separate from the Bronx, economically, socially, geographically. I don't think there's resentment (at least, not more than generic underlying resentment against wealth). It just might as well be a different borough from most of the Bronx. :lol:

Nice place, though, although far too suburban for me."

Read more: http://www.city-data...l#ixzz23oeVkWci

Look at all of the articles on this topic:

Is Riverdale really part of the Bronx? :http://bronxpresspol...t-of-bronx.html

As another of my fellow residents said, "Riverdale is really like a small town.''

Source: NY Times Article

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

You sir, need to move to the Atlantic ocean and open up an Island and call it what ever you want. IDC if there is a King living in Riverdale, your still in the Bronx like it or not. You have Local bus routes that passes through hoody areas AND then Riverdale, even your local Express Bus service for a portion picksup/drop off those of Kingsbridge.

So all your wording, is just words, not the real deal. Of course Riverdale is pleasent, you don't have crime piling in there, unlike some parts of the Bx, but that doesn't change the fact that Riverdale is not connected to any other neighborhood.

If you were to move to Throgs Neck (which is like Riverdale partly), would you consider it, its own land? How bout no...

Of course not. Throggs Neck is nice, in fact very nice, but it has a different feel and while suburban it is still in the Bronx. I think the real difference is that Riverdale is more isolated by the park, by the water and by the hills and its geography in a way separates it from the rest of the borough and that's why we feel like we have our own town up there. In reality we're not really connected to any other Bronx neighborhood geographically. As for the express bus passing through hood areas, Kingsbridge is it and that's only for a short period (one stop). Hell very few people get on there anyway and most of the time they're white and elderly (like most of the Riverdale population) even at that first stop by 230th street, so we only cringe once in a blue moon when some thug gets on. Thugs aren't interested in the express bus anyway, not to mention the cost. They'd rather hop the turnstile and take the subway.

To be honest, the ghettoism if you will on the Staten Island express buses is much higher than any Riverdale express bus I've been on. Even the South Shore express buses have to pass through some semi-ghetto part with projects (i.e. South Beach houses), though again the actual riff raff on those buses is rare since it is a premium fare.

In sum it isn't just me who feels this way. I know other people who live in Riverdale and they say the same thing... That they live in Riverdale.

Facts may be facts, Riverdale's residents may say Riverdale is not The Bronx. No matter what county you live in The Bronx, you live in The Bronx to me. Just as if someone told me they like in Flushing..yeah you live in Queens. IDGAF, but that's just me.

Well I can tell you right now that there are plenty of people that live in Riverdale that wouldn't live in areas of the Bronx, no matter how nice they are, so it isn't just me or me trying to make the place more than what it is. I'm just stating what is out there. There have even been news articles written about whether or not Riverdale is truly part of the Bronx. Yes, officially it is part of the Bronx, but the point is the place is complete opposite of the rest of the borough, even the nicer parts and that's not to say that it is so much better or anything. It's just different, plain and simple in every aspect.

Well I guess residents of Riverdale Should deserve there own country and VG8 as it president :lol:

Facts may be facts, Riverdale's residents may say Riverdale is not The Bronx. No matter what county you live in The Bronx, you live in The Bronx to me. Just as if someone told me they like in Flushing..yeah you live in Queens. IDGAF, but that's just me.

Well I guess residents of Riverdale Should deserve there own country and VG8 as it president :lol:

Well I think these two quotes sum up the issue quite nicely:

Quote from a Bronx postman:

"Riverdale is the only community in the Bronx that marks ‘Riverdale, New York’ as their address; no other neighborhood does that..."

"...Riverdale is technically part of the Bronx, I guess, but I don’t view them as the Bronx," United States Postal Worker Lee Kim of the Throggs Neck Branch said. When there is outgoing or incoming mail for Riverdale it specifically says Riverdale on the mailing address; everywhere else in the Bronx says Bronx. Maybe once I’ve seen it done by any other Bronx town.”

Quote from a real estate agent:

"[One real estate agent says] 'the Riverdale name is something to be proud of.'"

"Neighborhoods convey different images. Riverdale is independent; it has outdoor activities, shopping, great schools, one of the lowest if not the lowest crime rate in the city, and its at a center point for a number of different communities,' Riverdale real estate agent Joseph Korff said. 'The image Riverdale conveys is different than the image of what people may think of when they think of the Bronx.'"

Source: http://bronxpresspol...t-of-bronx.html

Like I said before, Brownsville may be ghetto, but it still screams Brooklyn to me. I don't get that feeling at all when I'm in Riverdale. It isn't until the express bus comes down the hill and onto 230th street that I feel like I'm in the Bronx. IMO it's the image of Riverdale that makes folks question if it is really a part of the Bronx. I mean seriously, the first time I came up there on the express bus after what was to me a depressing ride through the tip of Inwood in Manhattan and then the run down part of Kingsbridge along Broadway to see Riverdale was seriously shocking. Once we came up the hill along Riverdale Avenue, I actually perked up. The bus bypassed Spuyten Duyvil since it was only a few of us and we were all getting off further up in Riverdale. I said to myself there is no way in hell that I'm in the Bronx right now and was so shocked that I actually put it on my Facebook page. :lol:

Someone likes to talk about Riverdale a lot sheesh lol... VG8 makes it seem like it is heaven or something :lol:

Anyways, I think the media is overhyping this.. Kind of obvious that Brownsville isn't the safest neighborhood but there are shootings everywhere.. It is easy to put that designation is most dangerous neighborhood because of what it is known as...

I found that you can relatively be safe anywhere, it depends on you... I've lived in Jamaica, Lower East Side and Springfield Gardens, while all 3 aren't the best, even though there were shootings and violence a bit, I kept myself safe by avoiding certain types of people, minding my own business and staying out of trouble and such... It also depends on how you make of the neighborhood.. I loved living in Lower East Side and enjoyed living there and wasn't bothered by the violence. Jamaica wasn't bad either... I hate Springfield Gardens but that is because it is boring, but I do feel safe here even though there is some violence (I am never around it, as I am always out, but I take the Q3, Q6, Q77, Q85 and Q111 at night/early morning with no problem)...

May I ask VG8, why do you always look down on neighborhoods that aren't as "nice" as Riverdale? I never understood that, it comes off as snobbish and elitist to me.. Yes I have a friend who lives in Riverdale and she put Riverdale, the Bronx, NY actually.. But anyways.. you always make it seem like neighborhoods other than Riverdale are horrible.. Have you been to them? Have you lived in them? You can't always follow statistics.. As I said, it really depends on how you are in the neighborhood and what you make it.. but you can't do that if you have never lived there... I've traveled through and lived in not so good neighbrohoods but nothing bad has happened to me in my years in this country...

Someone likes to talk about Riverdale a lot sheesh lol... VG8 makes it seem like it is heaven or something :lol:

Anyways, I think the media is overhyping this.. Kind of obvious that Brownsville isn't the safest neighborhood but there are shootings everywhere.. It is easy to put that designation is most dangerous neighborhood because of what it is known as...

I found that you can relatively be safe anywhere, it depends on you... I've lived in Jamaica, Lower East Side and Springfield Gardens, while all 3 aren't the best, even though there were shootings and violence a bit, I kept myself safe by avoiding certain types of people, minding my own business and staying out of trouble and such... It also depends on how you make of the neighborhood.. I loved living in Lower East Side and enjoyed living there and wasn't bothered by the violence. Jamaica wasn't bad either... I hate Springfield Gardens but that is because it is boring, but I do feel safe here even though there is some violence (I am never around it, as I am always out, but I take the Q3, Q6, Q77, Q85 and Q111 at night/early morning with no problem)...

May I ask VG8, why do you always look down on neighborhoods that aren't as "nice" as Riverdale? I never understood that, it comes off as snobbish and elitist to me.. Yes I have a friend who lives in Riverdale and she put Riverdale, the Bronx, NY actually.. But anyways.. you always make it seem like neighborhoods other than Riverdale are horrible.. Have you been to them? Have you lived in them? You can't always follow statistics.. As I said, it really depends on how you are in the neighborhood and what you make it.. but you can't do that if you have never lived there... I've traveled through and lived in not so good neighbrohoods but nothing bad has happened to me in my years in this country...

LOL... I don't look down at all... I'm just honest... Quite frankly I find many places to be undesirable IMO even in Manhattan, which is why I'd never live in the city. Now I find the Upper East Side to be lovely but I could never see myself living there because it's the city. I love hanging out in the city, but overall I find many parts to be dirty, even a wealthy neighborhood like the Upper West Side along the Broadway strip. That's why I live in suburbs.

As for where I've lived, I've lived most of my life in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn (~16 years) and in Midwood for about a year or so before heading off to college and then Europe. After that I came back to Midwood for a bit and then moved to Staten Island in West Brighton for about 7 years and now I'm in Riverdale. Like I said though, regardless of the crime and all of that to me I've been all around Brooklyn from Brooklyn Heights to Bushwick and it all feels like Brooklyn to me, especially being a Brooklyn native. Same thing with Manhattan and Queens.

LOL... I don't look down at all... I'm just honest... Quite frankly I find many places to be undesirable IMO even in Manhattan, which is why I'd never live in the city. Now I find the Upper East Side to be lovely but I could never see myself living there because it's the city. I love hanging out in the city, but overall I find many parts to be dirty, even a wealthy neighborhood like the Upper West Side along the Broadway strip. That's why I live in suburbs.

LOL you live in suburbs?? I don't even consider Springfield Gardens a suburb and there is way less here than Riverdale ! I can tolerably live anywhere although I have my preferences (Flushing, SoHo, West Village, Chelsea) but as I said it is based on person... I have lived in less desirable places compared to you that is why I tolerate more stuff than you do..

LOL you live in suburbs?? I don't even consider Springfield Gardens a suburb and there is way less here than Riverdale ! I can tolerably live anywhere although I have my preferences (Flushing, SoHo, West Village, Chelsea) but as I said it is based on person... I have lived in less desirable places compared to you that is why I tolerate more stuff than you do..

LOL... Yes, Riverdale is considered to be suburban by New York City standards. It is a bedroom community and certain parts of Riverdale require a car to be honest, not to mention that everything closes EARLIER than it did when I lived on Staten Island, which is comparable in terms of its suburban feel, so yes suburbs. I know it is close to Manhattan, but don't let its closeness fool you. The only part of Riverdale that is "urban" if you will is the part where I'm at by Johnson & Riverdale Avenues and by 21:00 or 22:00, even those strips are dead.

I'd die of boredom if I ever lived in the suburbs.. My take whenever somebody looks and says "this place is so dirty, I could never live here" is "good, we don't want you here!" I guess that's why they say NYers are rude... ;)

Also, this "Riverdale is not the Bronx" is a ridiculous, elitist, classist, and ignorant idea. It feels nothing like the Bronx, but nobody, nobody considers it anything other than the Bronx. I've got a decent number of friends there, and to be honest the majority are proud to be in the Bronx, just since it sounds better than some cutesy little suburb on the postal address.

I'd die of boredom if I ever lived in the suburbs.. My take whenever somebody looks and says "this place is so dirty, I could never live here" is "good, we don't want you here!" I guess that's why they say NYers are rude... ;)

Also, this "Riverdale is not the Bronx" is a ridiculous, elitist, classist, and ignorant idea. It feels nothing like the Bronx, but nobody, nobody considers it anything other than the Bronx. I've got a decent number of friends there, and to be honest the majority are proud to be in the Bronx, just since it sounds better than some cutesy little suburb on the postal address.

Some of the surburbs are pretty badly maintained anyway here on LI in terms of being "dirty"

lol... They're the newcomers I suppose... The old timers generally want nothing to do with the Bronx... :lol: Do they travel to any areas outside of Riverdale?? Oh and plenty of people consider it anything BUT the Bronx... They'd probably **** a brick in their pants if they went around in the Bronx. :lol: Sorry, but I'll take the cutesy little suburb any day...

Some of the surburbs are pretty badly maintained anyway here on LI in terms of being "dirty"

Well there are ghettos in the suburbs too you know. Most of Long Island I wouldn't be caught dead in. :lol: I will say that the Oheka Castle in Huntington is quite elegant...

lol... They're the newcomers I suppose... The old timers generally want nothing to do with the Bronx... :lol: Do they travel to any areas outside of Riverdale?? Oh and plenty of people consider it anything BUT the Bronx... They'd probably **** a brick in their pants if they went around in the Bronx. :lol: Sorry, but I'll take the cutesy little suburb any day...

Well there are ghettos in the suburbs too you know. Most of Long Island I wouldn't be caught dead in. :lol:

You wouldn't be caught dead in a lot of places huh? :lol:

Yea like i don't know that Mr. Million Dollars :lol:

lol... But seriously though, who knows... Maybe Brownsville could have a rebirth of sorts... I mean they're proposing new housing on Long Island near the LIRR to make certain areas more like bedroom communities, so anything is possible I guess...

Hmm... Good for you... I'm an original Brooklynite from Sheepshead Bay and Brownsville... It was a dump when I was a kid and it seems like with all of the hipsters invading Brooklyn and all of the changes coming to the borough, Brownsville has always been the same... Dangerous... I've never stepped foot near there and probably never will. Now I live in Riverdale and I doubt I'll ever step foot in the "Boogie Down Bronx" as you call it... Unless I'm passing through on the express bus or MetroNorth. :lol:

Well riverdale was an area of crime back in the days, where it was a hotspot of where drugs were sold as well as some areas of the northern bronx. I'm just saying

Well riverdale was an area of crime back in the days, where it was a hotspot of where drugs were sold as well as some areas of the northern bronx. I'm just saying

LOL!!! And when was this??? <_< I think you're confused. I even have people telling me that they were in Riverdale when they were really in Kingsbridge. Riverdale ends at Riverdale Avenue at the end of the hill to the right and to the left. Everything else is NOT Riverdale.

I guess we came to have one of the lowest crime rates in NYC over night... :lol:

LOL. He mentioned he lives in an apartment building and has a balcony. Yeah, apartment buildings are real suburban, right? :lol:

Keep in mind that he doesn't use the same standards for "suburban" in every case. He talks about places on the North Shore of SI like they're so urban and where he lives is so suburban when that's not actually the case. He's like "Oh, well those areas have more apartment buildings than they do down here". Well, there's the projects in some areas (and SI's projects are fairly short. I think the tallest are in Stapleton, which are 7 stories), and then along some main streets, you have people living above stores and everything (which also happens in his old neighborhood, which he wouldn't want to admit), but other than that, the homes are suburban homes. The same thing when talking about Brooklyn. He's like "east of Flatbush Avenue is more urban" even though its character isn't that different from west of Flatbush Avenue. And with all the old bungaloes, Gerritsen Beach is really suburban, right? <_<

I mean, OK NYC is more urban than most other areas of the country (I mean, you have single-family homes a few blocks from Downtown Phoenix. You look on Google Streetview and see a bunch of single-family homes, and then you look down the street and see office towers), but if you're going to go by that, then basically everywhere in NYC is urban.

Well there are ghettos in the suburbs too you know. Most of Long Island I wouldn't be caught dead in. :lol: I will say that the Oheka Castle in Huntington is quite elegant...

You ever been to Hempstead? How about East Orange?

Archived