WFAN switches to 101.9 FM replacing Modern Rock Station/FM Newstalk

Shortline Bus

I was just in the (5) boros few days back and surprised no one posted this. Alternative/Modern Rock returns to 101.9 FM after a fail attempt as a fm newsradio format geared towards younger woman.

s22130q.png

"The former rock station that radio bad boy Randy Michaels took over last year and turned into New York's only all-news FM station has come full circle. Tuesday morning, Mr. Michaels' Merlin Media threw in the towel on its FM News 101.9 experiment—and began blasting alternative rock.

The station is now New Rock 101.9. A sister Merlin Media station, WIQI-FM in Chicago, also flipped to rock from talk on Tuesday, ending Mr. Michaels' ambitions to create a network of news stations.

"Effective immediately, alternative is back on the air in New York as New Rock 101.9, and adult hits are on the air in Chicago as i101," Mr. Michaels said, in a statement. "It was a difficult decision to make, but after a year of minimal audience engagement, coupled with the format's inherent expense, I felt it was time to make a change."

The format change was accompanied by an unspecified number of layoffs of news-related personnel, according to two radio insiders familiar with the station. Merlin executives did not respond to an email or phone calls seeking comment.

Mr. Michaels, who was forced out of his previous job as CEO of Tribune Co. following reports of inappropriate behavior, launched Chicago-based Merlin last year with a $100 million purchase of three stations from Emmis Radio. They included 101.9 FM, which was then the alternative rock station WRXP. Merlin rechristened it WEMP and flipped it to news.

But the station never gained traction with listeners and was plagued by employee turnover as its ratings remained a fraction of what WRXP's once were."

Read more: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120717/MEDIA_ENTERTAINMENT/120719897#ixzz23fTI8zqZ

reactions? Now we only missing a major FM country station and another adult R&B/Soul station and NYC is set.

R110 you right a station playing 100% country in NYC would not work. However a possible solution is a hybird station. The hybird station which plays 75% country would also play classic country i.e Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Porton, Willie Nelson, etc. and also pop-country and souther rock pop hits as well.

Southern Rock which is artists as diverse as Los Lonely Boys, Kid Rock, Sherly Crow, and in past 30-50 years the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, BB King, Ray Charles, John Fogrety/Clerence Clearwater Revial to touch the surface it could work. There a station up here in the Hudson Valley "The Wolf" that plays this format and it very good.

Those are my stations though. (Z100 and 92.3)

Not sure of your age. I am almost 40 years old so i am into a different set of music (80/90's pop, some classic rock ie Beatles, Eagles, Niravana,)old school r&b, Gensis, Bob Marley, Run DMC is what i now mostly listen to!

Sorry my friend, other than Adele and couple of handful of other artists not into today's pop music.

Not sure of your age. I am almost 40 years old so i am into a different set of music (80/90's pop, some classic rock ie Beatles, Eagles, Niravana,)old school r&b, Gensis, Bob Marley, Run DMC is what i now mostly listen to!

Sorry my friend, other than Adele and couple of handful of other artists not into today's pop music.

I'm 19 if that has anything to do with my music tastes.

I am happy that 101.9 switched back to Rock, I actually listened to it at time, but I pretty much grew up in the late 90's, early 2k's and really like the music from that era. For Rock, Bruce Springsteen really is awesome, the Beetles is awesome too. For Pop, I like Michelle Branch, Matchbox 20, Kelly Clarkson, some songs by Deep Blue Something and Vanessa Carlton. But I'm much more into Country oddly, love Brad Paisely, Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert.

Oh wow radio station with pure rock/alternative music 24-7? Yep tuning in at the next opportunity.

Variety is better. No offense to our younger teen posters who listen to Z100 (I listen to them in the '80's when they debuted in 1983)and PLJ when they were top 40 stations in that decade.

More than likely you musical taste change as you get away from your teen/young adult changes. Thus that a reason CBS-FM playing pop oldies from the '60's-early '90's is so popular. Anyone age 30-50's is their main audience.

The last time I really listened to Z100, mini-boomboxes were the rage. This news channel was a giant joke that no one listened to. I got an iPod after around 2005 or so and stopped listening to the radio but by then the station was crap and K-rock was dying out.

Is 102.3 still having problems with that pirate radio station? I feel bad for getting into music from the '70s and '80s just now that most stations think Nicki Minaj has any artistic merit.

The last time I really listened to Z100, mini-boomboxes were the rage. This news channel was a giant joke that no one listened to. I got an iPod after around 2005 or so and stopped listening to the radio but by then the station was crap and K-rock was dying out.

Is 102.3 still having problems with that pirate radio station? I feel bad for getting into music from the '70s and '80s just now that most stations think Nicki Minaj has any artistic merit.

There was no need for a 3rd major newsradio channel in nyc area i agree. Granted while 1010 WINS and 880 CBS-AM are owned by the same company (CBS/Viacom) they are both different forms of newsradio. WINS has 20-minute newscasts every hour with frequent traffic reports. Meanwhile CBS-FM is sort of longer in depth reports/interviews with their audience geared toward listeners in LI, Northern NJ and Fairfield County, CT. Plus Bloomberg radio a business station (1130am)and WOR-AM also provide frequent news breaks on their stations so the attempt on 101.9fm was a waste.

I feel bad for getting into music from the '70s and '80s just now that most stations think Nicki Minaj has any artistic merit.

Don't feel bad, over half of my music consists of video game OST tracks... :D

• 1 month later...

I know Foxie and other rock fans maybe disappointed. WFAN owned by CBS Radio will now be heard also on 101.9 FM. Thus the station which for years had a smooth jazz format and in last couple of years tried a modern rock and a female oriented Newsradio FM station. This is no doubt a reply to this summer move of ESPN New York move to 98.7 FM.

Not to mention trying to maintain both Yankees and Mets local radio rights.

106777920-web.jpg

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1177656

Even though WFAN (and WCBS 880) are both on a clear channel frequency, this is clearly a move designed at competing against ESPN 98.7 to keep the Yankees' broadcast rights. That's the only reason I see for this purchase.

But the Yankees are on 880, it's those damn Mets on the Fan. Unless they want to move the Yanks to WFAN.

Archived