As fare increases loom, communities continue push for service restorations

Via Garibaldi 8

Does the MTA fully run MTAB because there seems like there could of been lots of cuts and combining that could of taken place. I see routes like the Q67, Q102 and Q103 running and only have 4 or 5 ppl on the bus. I would have cut weekend service on the Q67 and Q102 and Q103 just eliminate the thing. I looked at the Average ridership for the Q103 and it second to last to the old Q89.

On the Q102 riders on Roosevelt Island would scream bloody murder for only NYCT/MTA bus serving the Island. I agree that the Q102 along with several former NYC private bus lines needs more restructure.

On the Q102 riders on Roosevelt Island would scream bloody murder for only NYCT/MTA bus serving the Island. I agree that the Q102 along with several former NYC private bus lines needs more restructure.

Blame the useless stint on 31st street for that. If say Q19 & Q39 were extended to roosevelt island you will see how low Q102 ridership can really go and realize how weak it really is by exposing true ridership habits by making service to roodevelt island more direct via faster alternatives Q102 has riders cause it is the only mta bus on roosevelt island.

Blame the useless stint on 31st street for that. If say Q19 & Q39 were extended to roosevelt island you will see how low Q102 ridership can really go and realize how weak it really is by exposing true ridership habits by making service to roodevelt island more direct via faster alternatives Q102 has riders cause it is the only mta bus on roosevelt island.

1. That wont help either. Just let RIOC operate the red bus. It's way cheaper. Besides whats in Ridgewood and Flushing that Roosevelt Island Commuters want?

Have the Red bus serve to Queens Plaza and that will have the Q102 eliminated. Then my route the Q25 and Q34. I always believed the Q14 should of been kept and follow the Q34 route into Whitestone and then operate via the Q15 line. The Q34 is slow unreliable and just feeds off the Q25. I say routes that feed off other lines and doesn't have the best ridership should be reconstructed or eliminated.

I mean I refuse to sit back and pay more for service and get nothing in return. That is just not acceptable.

Prices always go up. Last year, I could get a gallon of milk for $1.99. This year, it's $2.99. If I said "I should get more milk because the price went up", then I'd have to pay even more.

Who cares about the 300 people who ride an express bus. Have you stopped to realize the big picture yet? There are millions of people in this city. The (MTA) is here to serve the millions not a tiny bunch of rich p---y who are afraid to take the subway.

Not all express bus riders are afraid of the subway. In some cases, like Staten Island, you're dependant on the express bus if you want to get to Manhattan quickly, because the ferry usually takes a lot longer.

It has nothing to do with being an express bus "lover". If a transportation service is being provided to a community, every effort should be kept to keep it.

.....unless it's not being used......

FYI, I have fought for far more local bus restorations than anything else, so there goes your "express bus lover" theory. I petitioned to have the B2 (weekend service), B4, B31 (overnight service), B64 all restored and have limited stop service added to the S53 and am now moving forward with the push for the restoration of the M104... All local buses... By contrast, the other express buses that I've officially petitioned for are the X16, X27, X28 and BM3.

Pffffffft. <_< All you did was speak at the meeting. I was the one who went through the trouble to get the contacts and try to actually get the thing passed through.

To have B31 owl bus service that according to MTA own data had only around at most 40-50 riders between 2-5am? I agree with running it until 2am that it, There other bus routes in city i.e BX1, BX3, S79, maybe even the M5 and couple of others that would get double that ridership during overnights. Instead it be cheaper to pay a van service for those handful of B31 owl riders.

It was 36 riders on average. Admittedly, it was because it was a short route, but I remember posting about having it restored, and found out that most of the riders came from Avenue R (which has the B82 as an alternative).

As far as Gerritsen Beach goes, I wouldn't consider it to be completely isolated. It's about 1.25 miles from the furthest point in Gerritsen Beach to the B3, and about 1.5 miles to the B44. (And keep in mind that it is the furthest they have to walk). While it does suck that they have to walk the extra distance, it's not like they're completely isolated.

Does the MTA fully run MTAB because there seems like there could of been lots of cuts and combining that could of taken place. I see routes like the Q67, Q102 and Q103 running and only have 4 or 5 ppl on the bus. I would have cut weekend service on the Q67 and Q102 and Q103 just eliminate the thing. I looked at the Average ridership for the Q103 and it second to last to the old Q89.

Actually, the Q103 didn't perform that poorly. I think the cost per passenger was around $3 per person, which is around the level of some SI routes that mostly run for coverage.

Yes, but some folks aren't in the mood for compromise.

I'm actually shocked that nobody has publicly rejected the "service investments" on the grounds that they don't represent a full restoration of the 2010 cuts.

The most likely reason (IMHO) you aren't seeing any outrage over the partial restorations is because cats think it's better than nothing; mayhap many though the restorations were longshots at best. As MTA's financial outlook improves and ridership continues rising, we'll likely see more improvements.

I don't understand this a route is cut or reconstructed. People get all mad and want it back and when it was running no was really using it so what is the big deal? I can understand routes like the Q79 being brought back because there were no alternatives for it. That B39 bus being brought back for me has mixed thoughts. The J/M/Z trains are there for it but at the same time the disabled and elderly may need it because they may not be able to walk up those stairs.

1. That wont help either. Just let RIOC operate the red bus. It's way cheaper. Besides whats in Ridgewood and Flushing that Roosevelt Island Commuters want?

This links astoria blvd to the (F) and connects Q19 folk along that route to roosevelt island and links with M60 adding more purpose to the surrounding lines thus improving connectivity. I understand your reasoning for Q39 though as the red bus can in fact do that. BUT do people with unlimited metrocards really want to pay the extra money for the red bus?

This links astoria blvd to the (F) and connects Q19 folk along that route to roosevelt island and links with M60 adding more purpose to the surrounding lines thus improving connectivity. I understand your reasoning for Q39 though as the red bus can in fact do that. BUT do people with unlimited metrocards really want to pay the extra money for the red bus?

It's $0.25. It's not going to break the bank. Those buses actually see pretty good usage, even with the Q102 over there.

That's the point of the B39 coming back I think...

Ok, I don't want to bring this up again, but the M104 should not go back into that 42nd Street mess. That would to more harm than good.

Hey lets not have Hurricane VG8 explode lol because he been screaming on why the M104 has not been restored :o ? Personally i think if the M104 returned to serving 42nd St, it should terminate at the Grand Central area.

Hey lets not have Hurricane VG8 explode lol because he been screaming on why the M104 has not been restored :o ? Personally i think if the M104 returned to serving 42nd St, it should terminate at the Grand Central area.

I don't need to explode. I would rather channel my energy on getting it fully restored... :D

The Q102 doesn't go anywhere where people want. The F serves Roosevelt Island and Queensbridge that's half the Q102 right there. When the 63rd street Line was completed in the late 1980's it killed the purpose of the Q102 there. Now if you take the Q19 with already low ridership and put it on Roosevelt Ave is it really going to get more service, probably not?My point is people are not going to back track to Queens to get to Manhattan.

The M104 will never be restored if they have a proper mind...

Proper mind and they'd send it somewhere useful, like the PABT or the UN. The current spot in the middle of Times Square is pretty much useless to any New Yorkers, and it's not like tourists going to Times Square are getting on the bus from Harlem / Upper West.

Proper mind and they'd send it somewhere useful, like the PABT or the UN. The current spot in the middle of Times Square is pretty much useless to any New Yorkers, and it's not like tourists going to Times Square are getting on the bus from Harlem / Upper West.

Grand Central makes so much sense it not even funny. And it could use eastbound on 40th Street between 7th Ave and Park Ave to avoid the parking lot of 42nd Street. Westbound it could use 42nd. Point is a descent number of riders would use the M104 to get from GCT to say Columbus Circke without need for extra transfer on subways.

If the M104 would be restored along 42 street, then Grand Central Is as far for me. When the old M104 ran to UN, when there were assemblies there, boy the M104 was screwed up. Probably gaps of 40-80 minutes all over the places, followed by 10 buses bunching together. Any typical M104 would know that when UN assemblies took places, riders along 42 street knew it was better to walk. For service during all other sections, the typical rider knows what to do. Now that the M104 doesnt go through that mess on assembly days, it still gets prone to delays, but not as much as before. The New M104 has plus and minuses. Also on assembly days, I would make the M104 go up some other route from Grand Central, since 42 street would be hell.

Grand Central makes so much sense it not even funny. And it could use eastbound on 40th Street between 7th Ave and Park Ave to avoid the parking lot of 42nd Street. Westbound it could use 42nd. Point is a descent number of riders would use the M104 to get from GCT to say Columbus Circke without need for extra transfer on subways.

I don't know why you're so stuck on Grand Central when many riders used that bus to get to the far East Side including the U.N., hence why so many people are pissed that it was cut back to Times Square, which like MVH said is completely useless.

If the M104 would be restored along 42 street, then Grand Central Is as far for me. When the old M104 ran to UN, when there were assemblies there, boy the M104 was screwed up. Probably gaps of 40-80 minutes all over the places, followed by 10 buses bunching together. Any typical M104 would know that when UN assemblies took places, riders along 42 street knew it was better to walk. For service during all other sections, the typical rider knows what to do. Now that the M104 doesnt go through that mess on assembly days, it still gets prone to delays, but not as much as before. The New M104 has plus and minuses. Also on assembly days, I would make the M104 go up some other route from Grand Central, since 42 street would be hell.

And you think the M42 is any better?? I'm very close to 42nd street and quite frankly many days there would be more M104s coming before any M42s would come. The M104 is far more reliable than the M42 could ever be.

And you think the M42 is any better?? I'm very close to 42nd street and quite frankly many days there would be more M104s coming before any M42s would come. The M104 is far more reliable than the M42 could ever be.

During Assembly days, its hell coming to haunt to us. I know the M42 would be affected as well. I would reroute the M42 off 42 street after 2 Avenue snd terminste st 39 street on those days. The M104 would also assist the M42 during UN days then, since yes the M42 is screwed up always.So during those days the M104 would assist the M42

During Assembly days, its hell coming to haunt to us. I know the M42 would be affected as well. I would reroute the M42 off 42 street after 2 Avenue snd terminste st 39 street on those days. The M104 would also assist the M42 during UN days then, since yes the M42 is screwed up always.So during those days the M104 would assist the M42

The whole East Side is a mess on those days. It isn't just the M42 or the M104 believe me.

If the financial situation gets better, how about the M6 and 98 south of Hunter College

That would be quite nice; restoring some service on the M6 would enable the M5 to make limited stops south of 14 St during certain hours and speed up transit time quite nicely. I'd also love to see the M98 back, although I feel like it should run a bit farther south.

That would be quite nice; restoring some service on the M6 would enable the M5 to make limited stops south of 14 St during certain hours and speed up transit time quite nicely. I'd also love to see the M98 back, although I feel like it should run a bit farther south.

The M6 is restored, cutting the M5 back to Houston. Where you extend the M98?

If the financial situation gets better, how about the M6 and 98 south of Hunter College

With Broadway now basically a walkway between 59/Central Park South and Union Sq what the point of bringing back the M6? M5 yes is too long but for reason mentioned above, I am 98% sure M6 as the 6th Ave-Broadway line is never coming back. Best is to improve on the M5.

With Broadway now basically a walkway between 59/Central Park South and Union Sq what the point of bringing back the M6? M5 yes is too long but for reason mentioned above, I am 98% sure M6 as the 6th Ave-Broadway line is never coming back. Best is to improve on the M5.

One way to improve is to have short turns at Houston and 59 streets. Make the M5 operate Late Night and terminate at Houston Street

Archived