NICE BRT

Guest MTA Bus

Which NICE route do you think should get SBS ? IMO, the N6 could use it. The ridership is high enough for it.

is the N6 ridership as high as the M15 or Bx12 before they got SBS?

I can't see this working, Nassau residents will oppose this since it will result in badly backing up traffic on Hempstead Tpke or result in the loss of parking for the businesses in places like Franklin Square.

Ridership is not nearly high enough on any NICE routes, including the N6, to have SBS. The N6 looks like it needs SBS because the whole organization of the buses and schedules on that route is screwed up. LIMITEDs are needed and expresses need to be cut back and turned into locals.

Remember when there was original plan for Queens to have BRT/SBS along Merrick Blvd to Green Acres Mall, but that got denied due to NIMBY along Q4/n4 route, so I agree it will not work out.

I think all n20 Roslyn short trip should terminate at Glen Clove Rd, so people wouldn't have to worry about n27 connection.

More n20l Limited.

No SBS for Nassau, not now... N4 gets a limited variant,mbiggest change service-wise I can see...

N4 LTD would work best as a reverse peak service as LIRR has horrid reverse service. I would just run it in reverse direction if you want peak speed use LIRR but N4 can work as most babylon trains go non stop to jamacia from rockville centre.

Lets not say "SBS". "Select Bus Service" is the (MTA)'s brand of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT). Just like whenever Bee-Line has the finance for "BRT" on the w20 (if it ever happens?!), it would be called "Queen-Bee".

For NICE, it would be something else. Unless they license the "SBS" name off MTA, but that I doubt....

Lets not say "SBS". "Select Bus Service" is the (MTA)'s brand of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT). Just like whenever Bee-Line has the finance for "BRT" on the w20 (if it ever happens?!), it would be called "Queen-Bee".

lol

For NICE, it would be something else. Unless they license the "SBS" name off MTA, but that I doubt....

Most NICE buses that have direct routings are stupidly fast except N20& 27 lol what you gonna do put nascar motors on the buses? FOR MORE SUPER SPEED!!!! I got a ride cause I missed a bus even while flooring it we still couldn't catch Even the N19 WTF? SBS would either be overkill or better used on N24 call it N24 J for via jericho to hicksville.

NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

Any attempt to introduce BRT in Nassau and/or Suffolk Counties in the foreseeable future will result in the same kind of resistance that killed the proposes SBS service along Merrick Blvd in Queens.

NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

Any attempt to introduce BRT in Nassau and/or Suffolk Counties in the foreseeable future will result in the same kind of resistance that killed the proposes SBS service along Merrick Blvd in Queens.

plus it is OVERKILL!!! However BRT on sunrise hwy won't meet that resistance as that is a highway that rarely sees jams plus nichols rd and other BRT xorridors on LI are more highway like in nature while queens SBS was more residential in nature so LI would be unlikely to face the level of opposition queens faced as the LI corridors would not affect parking or car traffic as they will usually use the shoulder or result in widening of those highways anyway.

In addition to what I've said before, NICE struggles to meet the needs with local service. How can SBS even be suggested. The M15 has 55,000 daily riders, the Bx12 has 44,000 daily riders. The N6 has 11,000 daily riders, and the only way to solve the huge overcrowding problem is to either get artics on that route (YES, you can get them into Hempstead Terminal, don't say they can't) or add more locals like I said before.

Nassau isn't fit for +SBS+ NICE isn't really advanced for that. Plus, you need more than double of NICE's current fleet for this. Personally I'd like +SBS+ on some NICE routes but it can't happen not enough riders there's just about 109,000 riders systemwide. Finally, the express routes (ex. n22x n6x) take place of what would be +SBS+.

Well, I've crunched some ideas and theories out lately, you could say both +SBS+ and BRT since niceBUS accepts the MetroCard so it's still kinda affliated to the (MTA) in some senses. Either way, regardless of the fancy names of the BRT Services, I think ridership can be put in perspective, however if the riders consistently delays the buses because of payment thing or there are riders scattered in many bus stops as opposed to just one, I'd suggest a Bus Rapid Transit-styled fare system. I overall have 4 routes that I believe could make use of off-board payments: n4, n6, n19 and n24. Why? These routes are commonly delayed because of passengers, they could utilize 60-foot articulated buses as well, this will create shorter travel time and easier placement of strollers and wheelchairs (strollers being a common sight on the n4, n19 and n24 routes).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've crunched some ideas and theories out lately, you could say both +SBS+ and BRT since niceBUS accepts the MetroCard so it's still kinda affliated to the (MTA) in some senses. Either way, regardless of the fancy names of the BRT Services, I think ridership can be put in perspective, however if the riders consistently delays the buses because of payment thing or there are riders scattered in many bus stops as opposed to just one, I'd suggest a Bus Rapid Transit-styled fare system. I overall have 4 routes that I believe could make use of off-board payments: n4, n6, n19 and n24. Why? These routes are commonly delayed because of passengers, they could utilize 60-foot articulated buses as well, this will create shorter travel time and easier placement of strollers and wheelchairs (strollers being a common sight on the n4, n19 and n24 routes).

Minus the N19 yes if you want speed east of freeport use LIRR N19 is not that slow.

Merrick Rd & Sunrise Highway are very slow especially at certain times of the day. Rush hour on Merrick Rd is like root canal on the right side of your mouth Sunrise Hwy is like root canal on the left side of your mouth, which would you pick? The LIRR is fast (sometimes, god forbid it's raining and your train is 20 min late lol). but each station is far apart from each other it's not like everyone hops off the LIRR and there's their home or car parked in the commuter lot?

It's probably a 15-20 walk to the halfway point between each LIRR station, and that's a normal person, what about the elderly and handicapped? You're also talking about another 20 minute walk down to Merrick Rd. Going into Suffolk county the distance between Sunrise Hwy & Merrick Rd. only gets greater in Copiague & Lindenhurst. For example I was looking at a store on Rt. 109, probably a 10 minute walk from Merrick Rd. I was curious to see how far of a walk it was from the Babylon LIRR station, it's not walkable, at least not a 42 minute walk I would want to make.

I love how everyone tosses the n19 in the bin and everyone justifies it as the LIRR is an alternative, but in reality, it's not. ..especially for the elderly and handicapped.

Merrick Rd & Sunrise Highway are very slow especially at certain times of the day. Rush hour on Merrick Rd is like root canal on the right side of your mouth Sunrise Hwy is like root canal on the left side of your mouth, which would you pick? The LIRR is fast (sometimes, god forbid it's raining and your train is 20 min late lol). but each station is far apart from each other it's not like everyone hops off the LIRR and there's their home or car parked in the commuter lot?

It's probably a 15-20 walk to the halfway point between each LIRR station, and that's a normal person, what about the elderly and handicapped? You're also talking about another 20 minute walk down to Merrick Rd. Going into Suffolk county the distance between Sunrise Hwy & Merrick Rd. only gets greater in Copiague & Lindenhurst. For example I was looking at a store on Rt. 109, probably a 10 minute walk from Merrick Rd. I was curious to see how far of a walk it was from the Babylon LIRR station, it's not walkable, at least not a 42 minute walk I would want to make.

I love how everyone tosses the n19 in the bin and everyone justifies it as the LIRR is an alternative, but in reality, it's not. ..especially for the elderly and handicapped.

I never said it was. Can you tell me what is on sunrise hwy midway between LIRR stations outside 8 min walk guess what NOTHING!!!!!! Not buying the elderly argument it's total BULL it is simply an excuse to justify lines that are useless and otherwise too empty to bother running drop it we aren't stupid. N19 is not slow enough to warrant BRT I know my friend was in his car getting smoked by a you guessed it N19!!!!! Sunrise hwy is not walkable east of rockville centre it's borderline hwy meaning no sane person would attempt walking along it for an extended period of time. The only part of sunrise needing buses is east of seaford and west of rockville centre LIRR as walking from N4 to green acres mall it a disaster waiting to happen sunrise is a human death trap only way your gonna get ppl to green acres from other places other than car is bus. Come back to reality. I am smart enough to know N19 is not completely duplicative of LIRR. One more thing most LIRR stations have buses to merrick rd they are N73/74&51,46/45.

I never sa Can you tell me what is on sunrise hwy midway between LIRR stations outside 8 min walk guess what NOTHING!!!!!! Not buying the elderly argument it's total BULL it is simply an excuse to justify lines that are useless and otherwise too empty to bother running drop it we aren't stupid.id it was. N19 is not slow enough to warrant BRT

What the hell are you talking about? I never said the n19 needs BRT... Are you just putting words in my mouth to justify arguing about it or did you not comprehend what I wrote? Who said anyone was stupid? You have a confrontational argumentative tone and you don't even know what you are arguing.

I know my friend was in his car getting smoked by a you guessed it N19!!!!!

...and that happens with every line including the n4, the driver goes as fast as they can, as with every other including the n19 the majority traffic is going around the bus in the left lane. ...and when drivers haul ass why do you think they are doing so? Because they are running behind schedule. Just because your friend got smoked by an n19 doesn't mean anything (and in what area?) that could be for any number of reasons. The majority of traffic going down all of Merrick no matter what road is doing 40-50 miles per hour, you painting a picture that the n19 is smoking cars on Merrick Rd is CRAZY because with no traffic going that fast they would be in Babylon or Frerport way too early.

Sunrise hwy is not walkable east of rockville centre it's borderline hwy meaning no sane person would attempt walking along it for an extended period of time.

Oh really? Is that why there are sidewalks? It's not borderline highway until way out (Byshore) it's a surface road with traffic lights and sidewalks.

The only part of sunrise needing buses is east of seaford and west of rockville centre LIRR as walking from N4 to green acres mall it a disaster waiting to happen sunrise is a human death trap only way your gonna get ppl to green acres from other places other than car is bus.

Not relevant to this conversation...

Come back to reality. I am smart enough to know N19 is not completely duplicative of LIRR. One more thing most LIRR stations have buses to merrick rd they are N73/74&51,46/45.

Come back to reality? Really? I live in the area the n19 serves, on the Nassau/Suffolk border, in fact I live on Merrick Rd, this is reality to me!

Can you tell me what is on sunrise hwy midway between LIRR stations outside 8 min walk guess what NOTHING!!!!!!

What is on Sunrise HWY between stations? Businesses and Doctors offices! More relevant and should be obvious is there are things in between Merrick Rd and Sunrise HWY called houses that people live in. I was using the midway point to each station as a general point to show how far people in this area would have to walk if it was for the n19. I thought that was obvious, I guess not...

Not buying the elderly argument it's total BULL it is simply an excuse to justify lines that are useless and otherwise too empty to bother running drop it we aren't stupid.

It's not bull, it's a reality I've seen it, there are a lot of elderly, physically and mentally handicapped people who rely on the n19. Do you have any data to support that the n19 is useless? Because according to the MTA it was a line that at least for itself, and now that Veolia has cut back some service on the line I can only imagine it is profitable. The data that I'm asking you for that the line is 'useless" probably doesn't exist because it is what you say the first thing Veolia would have done is axe the n19. I already know the data I'm asking you for doesn't exist because what you say is just your opinion and not fact.

I'm also not just saying things as you assume, it's not like I'm trying to save "my line" as I hardly ride NICE so I don't really care, I also don't mind a 15 minute walk to the train station, I'm also planning on moving out of this area so I don't care about the n19. I say what i say because it's the truth and try to bring people who sputter "duh duh duh the n19 is useless because it follows the LIRR line, I've seen empty when I was fanning one day"

I'm not going to argue your assumptions and opinions so get back to me when you have facts!

Archived