Why there is no more J shuttle trains for the 4 train GO?

alekr

I noticed that whenever the 4 train terminating Brooklyn Bridge on the GO usually the J shuttle is running from Essex Street to Prospect Park. Why there is no more J shuttle trains running on the 4 GO? Is this because it too expensive to operate the J shuttle and extending the 3 overnight? Or there is too many easy options to get to Brooklyn?

I'm just wondering why

That's ridicolous, they should have the (J) at least run as a shuttle between Chambers & Fulton. That's just really inconveinent...

I was thinking of that too. Maybe they could have a shuttle train running every 15 minutes between Chambers and Fulton to give those riders at Brooklyn Bridge other alternative at Fulton and connect with the uptown trains

Since every time I saw the J shuttle pass by at DeKalb Ave while I wait for the R train, the J shuttle had at most 5 passengers on the ENTIRE train. Many passengers didn't understand where the J was doing, it caused delays on both the Q and R at DeKalb, and more simply, passengers don't want local service through the tunnel. Riders travelling between Atlantic and 14th/Union Square on the 4 line will either take an N or a Q express which would be considerably faster. Local riders have a choice of a 2, 3, or R to nearby stations. There was no need to run redundant service that was vastly underutilized, a big money waster, and caused delays in service on Q and R trains.

(4)(5) riders already have other alternatives: the (2)(3)(D)(N)(Q)(R). No need to split the (J) in anyway. The (J) was a hell of alot empty when it ran between Essex Street and Prospect Park during those past weekend general orders. Kind of like that regular rush hour (M) that ran to/from Bay Parkway via the Montague Street Tunnel to the Fourth Avenue and then West End lines in the past. Riders who wanted Midtown Manhattan can use the (D)(N) which runs express via the Manhattan Bridge. Those boarding the (R) at the Fourth Avenue local stops can transfer at 59th, 36th, and/or Pacific Streets for the Manhattan Bridge express if they wanted a quick access to Midtown Manhattan. Simple.

domt fprget the station in lower manhattan are just blocks or two away from each other. Walk it off . it not that far. People who ride the (4) should go directly to Union Square and transfer it there to Brooklyn. The easiest way to get there.

In the past, the 4 shutdowns were connected to the South Ferry replacement. That resulted in a power disconct to the entire lower manhattan sections of the IRT south of Chambers Street save the Clark Street Branch. Most work these days are FTC related, which can and have had negitve impacts on the J as well. For example, the southbound J platform was cut off from the rest of the complex for a while

Because the only people who rode it were the few of you who wanted to foam the Nassau-Montague tunnel......

Lol I remember I got on an R160 (J) train, and I was the only one on the entire train, besides the conductor, and the drivers at both ends. I still have the pictures.

Gotta love the days when they had the R42 (J)(M) to Prospect Park.

Yes it's wrong. We're not in business to accommodate foamers (that's what the museum trips are for), we're in business to move people. And the J to Prospect Park didn't move anyone since #1 nobody's used to the J running there so nobody was looking for it and #2 there are better alternatives available.

The proposal of that (J) Essex-Prospect shuttle was indeed fun though, especially with the R42s. Those badly beaten, but lovable cans clearly gave us a nice Railfan window. I liked it, I really did but by no means does that make me a foamer. I can't describe anything that I like terrible and horrible because I like them. If I love the R32s and not describe them as terrible and horrible cars, does that make me a foamer or a nazi? No. If I see something badmouthing anything that I like and nag them out for it, does that make me a foamer? Yes.

I personally never wanted to foam over extending the (J) or (Z) to the BMT Fourth Avenue Line via the Montague Street Tunnel. Before, I was in favor for a Brooklyn (W) service but I realized ridership there hadn't warranted for the (J) nor (M) so same will be for the (W) because the (R) alone as a Fourth Avenue Local is perfectly enough as all it needs is increased ridership. I'm already aware that the (Q) has more demands than the (N) line and even the (R) has more demands.

I'd be happy to RFW on the (J) shuttle if an R32 ever shows up on that line. :D

IT was easier at Chambers St. for the people either coming from the (J), or wandering over from the (4)(5)(6) after being put off there, would just be directed to against the wall. When they stopped that, then (J) crews were burdened with the task of directing all these people some other way; I believe back to Canal, and it was murder directing all those people (and they stopped supplying platform people as well), and for them, if they wanted lower Manhattan, they would have to walk all the way over to the (R) once they got to canal.

It seemed much better with the shuttle. Years ago, when they first started doing this, I did use to see a lot of riders on it. Don't know why it reportedly has so little now. They did increase the frequency of service, hence why it became a separate run from the (J), so maybe that wasn't needed.

Out of curiosity (I don't think anybody answered this yet), why did they have it as a seperate route instead of just extending the (J) from Chambers to Atlantic?

In any case, I think they should've just extended the (J) from Chambers to Broad, to accomodate passengers transferring from the (A)(C) to the Lexington Avenue Line (then again, they have the (R) at Jay Street now that the new transfer was built, so I guess there's no need).

Archived