Majority of Puerto Ricans favor US statehood for first time

MTARegional Bus

I always thought it was so stupid as current commonwealth status for PR has continued. It should either become a 51st state or an independent country. Not in middle. Especially since in the Olympics and other world championships having a separte team for US and PR teams.

so they want obama to steal their money too

joe

Well they may want to be become a state but the question is does the US want them as a state... If they were to become a state, they would be the poorest state in the nation. I've talked to my Puerto Rican down there in Ponce about this years ago and it's a very difficult thing for them. I think with the state of the economy down there now, that could be one reason you see more of them favoring statehood, but they should be careful what they wish for.

they already have 51 and 52 star designs waiting to be used.

Seriosuly at first glance, which once is which?

200px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

200px-US_flag_51_stars.svg.png

For the record I'm all for this, and if the resident commisoner is worth the salt that got him re-elected, then he should introduce the legislation to congress ASAP.

This looks this is it, PR will become the 51 state or not.

http://news.msn.com/...d-in-referendum

If that happen expect a decrease of Puerto Ricans that are in NYC back to Puerto Rico LOL,

Your thoughts?

Why would Puerto Rican flock back to PR if it were a state? The wouldn't be much difference at all....

The american flag making industry is probibly jumping for joy.

Lol

Damn, 50 states is a nice, round number. Our flag is going to look weird with 51 states. :P

Maybe we can combine the Dakotas into one state. think.gif Or maybe we can kick out a state. Do what Bugs Bunny did and cut off Florida or something. :D

51 stars isn't even noticeable unless you take a second look.

Damn, 50 states is a nice, round number. Our flag is going to look weird with 51 states. :P

Maybe we can combine the Dakotas into one state. think.gif Or maybe we can kick out a state. Do what Bugs Bunny did and cut off Florida or something. :D

Lol, yeah the Dakotas don't have as many people and would it make much of a difference making them one state?

*warning, following not to be taken too seriously:

Lol, why stop there? Delaware could be merged with Maryland; RI, CT, Massachusetts, NH, VT could all be merged as a super New England state. There, now you have room to split NYC+LI from NYS and split California in 2 and maybe the same for Texas.

Why would Puerto Rican flock back to PR if it were a state? The wouldn't be much difference at all....

Well the one thing that is an issue now there is a lack of jobs. Maybe the thought process is that Puerto Rico would be better economically if it were to become a state. In fact that has always been the argument for those wanting statehood, and this could be true. You could have some American companies move down there because of the cost of labor and so on and they could still slap the good old "Made in USA" label on products made there. That's why you have a lot of car companies for example that head to the South because the costs there are cheaper.

Well the one thing that is an issue now there is a lack of jobs. Maybe the thought process is that Puerto Rico would be better economically if it were to become a state. In fact that has always been the argument for those wanting statehood, and this could be true. You could have some American companies move down there because of the cost of labor and so on and they could still slap the good old "Made in USA" label on products made there. That's why you have a lot of car companies for example that head to the South because the costs there are cheaper.

I could forsee that in the not so distant future (15-20 years), but not now.

I could forsee that in the not so distant future (15-20 years), but not now.

LOL... It's already happening, just not heavily. I bought some Microsoft Office software for my Fujitsu laptops and the software is Made in Puerto Rico. The thing is some companies like to boast that they're making their product in the U.S. so what they do is go to the cheapest place possible to do that, and here in the U.S., that is usually the South (i.e. Mississippi, South Carolina, etc.). The cost of living is lower in the South and usually the wages are too which makes sense. If you include the fact that you may not have the unions to contend with that makes it even more attractive and cost effective to go there. The company gets to cut their costs while still being able to push out their products quickly to the American consumer AND boast that it is Made in USA, plus they don't have to worry too much about transportation costs due to the proximity of the manufacturing base(s). The worker gets a decent wage (considering their standard of living) and everybody is happy. Ain't life grand... <_<

LOL... It's already happening, just not heavily. I bought some Microsoft Office software for my Fujitsu laptops and the software is Made in Puerto Rico. The thing is some companies like to boast that they're making their product in the U.S. so what they do is go to the cheapest place possible to do that, and here in the U.S., that is usually the South (i.e. Mississippi, South Carolina, etc.). The cost of living is lower in the South and usually the wages are too which makes sense. If you include the fact that you may not have the unions to contend with that makes it even more attractive and cost effective to go there. The company gets to cut their costs while still being able to push out their products quickly to the American consumer AND boast that it is Made in USA, plus they don't have to worry too much about transportation costs due to the proximity of the manufacturing base(s). The worker gets a decent wage (considering their standard of living) and everybody is happy. Ain't life grand... <_<

It's like the post-modern "American Dream".

It's like the post-modern "American Dream".

LOL.... I speak about this with certainty because it's been happening now for years in the auto industry. Take BMW for example... They're a German company that started building some of their models right here in the U.S. because it allows them to get their cars out faster into the American market. They avoid the hefty import taxes they would have to pay for making them in Germany, plus they can say what a wonderful company they are for providing jobs here in America and keep their transportation costs low since they don't to bring the cars from Germany. Their plant in South Carolina has been quite successful and in fact I believe they are even exporting some BMW's from that plant because the U.S. dollar has lost value compared to the Euro so that again they cut their costs...

Then you have Toyota who loves talking about how they make their cars here in the U.S. (in the South of course) with Japanese know how. In Puerto Rico I could see American companies that moved offshore to say China setting up shop there and "re-shoring" if that makes any sense. They can rid themselves of the increasing transportation costs to ship back and forth from China, appeal to Made in USA American consumers like myself and still cut their costs at the same time.

What those workers get in the south isnt really what you would call a decent wage. Most people are poor in the south even the working class!

LOL.... I speak about this with certainty because it's been happening now for years in the auto industry. Take BMW for example... They're a German company that started building some of their models right here in the U.S. because it allows them to get their cars out faster into the American market. They avoid the hefty import taxes they would have to pay for making them in Germany, plus they can say what a wonderful company they are for providing jobs here in America and keep their transportation costs low since they don't to bring the cars from Germany. Their plant in South Carolina has been quite successful and in fact I believe they are even exporting some BMW's from that plant because the U.S. dollar has lost value compared to the Euro so that again they cut their costs...

Then you have Toyota who loves talking about how they make their cars here in the U.S. (in the South of course) with Japanese know how. In Puerto Rico I could see American companies that moved offshore to say China setting up shop there and "re-shoring" if that makes any sense. They can rid themselves of the increasing transportation costs to ship back and forth from China, appeal to Made in USA American consumers like myself and still cut their costs at the same time.

Also if that happens there will be a push to raise wages and unions that could back fire into setting up shop in Puerto Rico.

What those workers get in the south isnt really what you would call a decent wage. Most people are poor in the south even the working class!

Their cost of living matches what they earn, unlike here in NY where the cost of living is astronomical compared to just about anywhere in the US.

But hey, what's cost of living when the government just subsidizes the hell out of everything? :lol:

Racism wont get you anywhere, buddy.

I hate to tell you this but it does.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?rgn=34&ind=14

If it wasn't for the subsidizes NYC do be a total different place,it won't be a melting pot that's for sure, it would be like an episode of friends LOL.

I hate to tell you this but it does.

http://www.stateheal...p?rgn=34&ind=14

If it wasn't for the subsidizes NYC do be a total different place,it won't be a melting pot that's for sure, it would be like an episode of friends LOL.

Yeah but according to the stats you posted, that would be the case for just about any place in the U.S. not just NYC.

Archived