The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The end is nigh.....

Past 2 days have been nothing but review and busy work (for lack of a better term).

Taking an R68A for a joyride tomorrow; probably Concourse to Brighton Beach via Local. We want to practice on the 68As one last time.

I might have saw your class at Bedford Park...

The end is nigh.....

Past 2 days have been nothing but review and busy work (for lack of a better term).

Taking an R68A for a joyride tomorrow; probably Concourse to Brighton Beach via Local. We want to practice on the 68As one last time.

Was that you at concourse around 3pm at the picnic table outside the crew room?

Was that you at concourse around 3pm at the picnic table outside the crew room?

Yeah, that was us. I was the one swapping stories with Magri.

Yes, 3 schoolcars down the Brighton Line at the same time. I thought the dispatchers were gonna have a stroke.

By the time the next pick rolls around you could have a good 150 names behind you.

Something else I hear quite often is if you mess up, fess up. Especially as a rookie. They're expecting us to have an issue here and there, but the worst thing you can do is cover it up. you never know who's riding on or watching your train. You'll get in a lot more trouble for the cover up than the incident. The incident was an accident, the cover up is intentional.

Actually the leaving signal was hit. The person was focused on the gap filler signal off to the distance and forgot to check the leaving signal which is closer as well as it's associated stop arm which is not visible unless you stand up and if you are of a certain height you won't even notice the leaving signal unless you make a mental note to lean forward and double check it.

It happens. It's a learning experience for everyone out there in the field.

That's why I always lean forward to check it after I get my indication, creep up slowly until the GF signal clears and it's smooth sailing after that.

Last Friday I got to put-in the R62A on the 6 line from Westchester yard. The dispatcher asked if I had my tools for it. I was like of course I always have all my tools with me lol.

Edited by elantra06

Wow you guys are that far along already, well good luck on your exams.

We've been in schoolcar for exactly 6 weeks now but with our class being the pilot class I'm hearing that we're getting our tests and practicals sooner than the previous classes. If that's the case then I actually prefer it that way. Get all my testing out the way upfront so that I can just focus on fine-tuning my operation.

We've been in schoolcar for exactly 6 weeks now but with our class being the pilot class I'm hearing that we're getting our tests and practicals sooner than the previous classes. If that's the case then I actually prefer it that way. Get all my testing out the way upfront so that I can just focus on fine-tuning my operation.

Reason most likely they want to get you guys out to the yards asap.

By the time the next pick rolls around you could have a good 150 names behind you.

ok, so how exactly does this whole "pick" thing work? obviously you have to have the seniority. but what determines if you have the seniority??? is it that the MTA has to hold back a certain amount of people to be road extras? or is it that we get to go down the list until all jobs have been picked?

Reason most likely they want to get you guys out to the yards asap.

Considering that we've been scheduled to hit the yard sometime in June, I think they're giving the signals sooner to weed people out earlier than later. That's just my personal take on it though.

Road final today via the Culver from CIYD to Court Square, in a R46. 

I PASSED MY ROAD PRACTICAL!!!

Holy shit, I'm officially a Train Operator. 

Congrats dude, must be a great feeling.

I'm in the class before you. Our 1st yard practical and midterm were in the 9th week. When is yours? What week is your signals test?

Yeah, that was us. I was the one swapping stories with Magri.

Yes, 3 schoolcars down the Brighton Line at the same time. I thought the dispatchers were gonna have a stroke.

Nice to meet you. I've been reading your school car thread from the beginning, great stuff. I was the guy asking about Broad st.

Congrats on passing the road practical. Hope to see you out there soon.

Nice to meet you. I've been reading your school car thread from the beginning, great stuff. I was the guy asking about Broad st.

Congrats on passing the road practical. Hope to see you out there soon.

Same here. Good luck, and don't pick up the bad Yard habits.

Congrats medic and welcome to the road! How did the rest of your class do?

Thanks. Everyone in 29 passed. 

Congrats Medic!!!

Signal exam/practical...Everyone passed!!!

Congrats.

I'm in the class before you. Our 1st yard practical and midterm were in the 9th week. When is yours? What week is your signals test?

Our midterm and 1st yard practical are this Thursday and Friday respectively. Our signals test is in two weeks.

Saw a group of stripeys @240yd, wonder if anyone from here was just there

Yeah that was our group over at 240 today.