Are unions losing the Part Time BO fight or have they given up?

IronboundNJT

Now I have no solid news I base this question on the fact that I was looking at the employment section which they've added jobs up to June of next year and I noticed:

MTA Bus Company Bus Operator (Part Time)

June 5 - 25, 2013

http://mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm

I hope the future PTBOs have better protection than they do in NJT in that all we have is an hour cap 30/week but no guarantee that we will come close to that so they use us to kill OT but at times we don't get enough hours to make this a decent Side job. I worry the mta will abuse the concept of bringing in part timers, I hope I'm wrong but I guess only time will tell

LOL... Ay yay yay... Dogging your brothers... :lol:

Hey, union's are to protect a workers rights and up keep a certain standard. Mike Quill probably turned in his grave when a transit union agreed to such a detrimental concession. TWU has vowed to not allow part-time B/O's in TA/OA depots as John Samuelson said, "it will be the downfall of the union if part-time operators are employed by the TA/OA". Time will tell if he was just talking fancy to obtain our votes or if he truly believes in building a stronger union.

Hey, union's are to protect a workers rights and up keep a certain standard. Mike Quill probably turned in his grave when a transit union agreed to such a detrimental concession. TWU has vowed to not allow part-time B/O's in TA/OA depots as John Samuelson said, "it will be the downfall of the union if part-time operators are employed by the TA/OA". Time will tell if he was just talking fancy to obtain our votes or if he truly believes in building a stronger union.

I have to agree with you there... The (MTA) has been crying for years that it can't control pension and healthcare costs and that right there is one thing that they would examine as a way to cut back on worker costs and I could see the public backing the (MTA) too citing increasing fares.

I think it's a terrible idea to support such a thing. You'll have nothing but part-timers and high turnover because with part-timers you don't have to pay out the benefits... Their costs are indeed bloated but the two things they keep crying about (worker costs and operating costs I think is a bunch of BS) and those are the two things they love to cut.

I have to agree with you there... The (MTA) has been crying for years that it can't control pension and healthcare costs and that right there is one thing that they would examine as a way to cut back on worker costs and I could see the public backing the (MTA) too citing increasing fares.

I think it's a terrible idea to support such a thing. You'll have nothing but part-timers and high turnover because with part-timers you don't have to pay out the benefits... Their costs are indeed bloated but the two things they keep crying about (worker costs and operating costs I think is a bunch of BS) and those are the two things they love to cut.

What's funny is that just last week I read the last contract we had in its entirety (the one that expired on 1/15/12) and it states that Obama had signed into legislation that transit agencies can tap into other funds (real estate, capital etc...) And use 3% for operating expenses and even with doing so the numbers show a surplus of more than $40 million for 2012. Another fun fact is that MTAB (MTA Bus) is actually more expensive to operate than the TA/OA.

What's funny is that just last week I read the last contract we had in its entirety (the one that expired on 1/15/12) and it states that Obama had signed into legislation that transit agencies can tap into other funds (real estate, capital etc...) And use 3% for operating expenses and even with doing so the numbers show a surplus of more than $40 million for 2012. Another fun fact is that MTAB (MTA Bus) is actually more expensive to operate than the TA/OA.

Well it's no secret that (MTA) Bus was put together because the private companies were struggling to provide the services... Not to mention buses that were old and broke down often and they didn't necessarily provide efficient service in terms of adjusting service to meet demand so that's another issue. Another problem with some (MTA) Bus lines is that ridership fluctuates so much from bus to bus that it makes it hard to really go on a cutting spree. This is especially true of some lines. I've been on packed BxM2's and ones that have been just me on them. So many factors come in to play with some lines as to why they fluctuate the way they do, but looking at the BxM2 you had a poor Northbound route which has since been redesigned and works much better IMO and ridership on the line has finally started to increase after declining sharply mainly due to the economy but also the ridiculous diversion in the Northbound routing in comparison to the Southbound routing which served those commuting to the Upper East Side and the museums far better than the Northbound portion which served more of the Upper West Side than the Upper East Side in that segment of the route.

Don't forget MTAB depots under TWU as well.

Actually, I didn't know that the MTAB depots under TWU hired part-time B/O's. That's news to me.

No meaning don't forget that TWU don't want P/T B/Os in MTAB depots as well thats under local 100 since you mentioned TA/OA.Since we all know SC have P/T B/Os i wonder if the other ATU depots such as JFK, FR even the TA depots thats under ATU, such as QV,CS, JA or SI div will follow suit.

That title is only for Spring Creek depot as their union (1186) agreed to hiring part-time B/O's.

I would just like to correct some facts. Spring Creek's union is ATU Local 1181 not 1186 and the surplus I mentioned was for 2011 not 2012.

Yeah i want to know who is ATU 1056 the ones who got that injunction.

QV,CS, and JA got that injunction.

On #3018 on Melville Public Hearing Shuttle, male College Point Depot driver told me Far Rockaway Depot could be ATU Local.

Can any bus operators could tell me what TWU Local and ATU Local represents which depots, please.

@ BreeddekalbL QV,CS and JA got that injunction. @ FamousNYLover TWU local 100 depots (TA div.) ENY,FB,GA,FP,UP,JG and 126st ( note 126 only TA depot in the city ). (OA div.) GH,KB,OF,WF,AM,MV,MQ and OH. (BC div.) EC,YO,LG,CP and BP. ATU locals (TA div.) QV,CS and JA local 1056. All of SI CA,CH,MA and YU are ATU not sure what local, someone correct me if im wrong but i think there also 1056. (BC div.) JF,FR and SC not sure what locals. Hope this info helps ppl out.

thats Why (MTA) should have left the privates alone, oh well now they are spending more money

• 3 months later...

Archived