Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

State commission to recommand ways to seal off the subways

Rate this topic

[float=left]post-5097-0-35515900-1357564643_thumb.jpg[/float]A state commission will recommend the installation of solid roll-down gates at subway station entrances to prevent Hurricane Sandy-style flooding, a source told the Daily News.

Such gates are a far better defense than the sandbags the Metropolitan Transportation Authority placed outside some stations in lower Manhattan, an unsuccessful effort to stop torrents of water filling tunnels from track to ceiling.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-35515900-1357564643_thumb.jpg

The flood water was too much for any protection. Wen you are dealing with millions of gallons of flood water, stopping a few thousand (or even million) gallons isn't really going to change anything. We chose to live on what is basically a big island with 80% of our infrastructure below ground or right next to the shore line. Now we need to live with those decisions.

• Upvote 1

i have to say no matter how hard you try, mother nature always find a way and win.

could not agree more with statement. perfectly stated.

Better something than nothing. At least the idea should be towards minimizing the damage. What they should think of adding are those gates for the river tunnels.

• Upvote 1

Well that's only beneficial to underground stations. Nothing can really stop ground level segments like the A from still being effected.

I think the idea was not so much to stop the water from entering, but rather to keep it away from sensitive areas.

• Upvote 1

They could throw a giant waterproof tarp over the tracks?

Read below

i have to say no matter how hard you try, mother nature always find a way and win.

Really, you gotta be a Lhota to think this is gonna work...

Meaning what? Do nothing and let the same problems happen again requiring a full shut down for repairs? What about preventative measures?

sadly most people do not think get used to it.

Really, water is a liquid. There are cracks and dips everywhere that run to the subway. I'm sorry, but these proposed solutions are not the most practical.

Really, water is a liquid. There are cracks and dips everywhere that run to the subway. I'm sorry, but these proposed solutions are not the most practical.

So why do they need to keep the subway system with all of cracks and dips... :huh:

Or Mighty-Thirsties from our good friend Anthony Sullivan.

...or the sham-wows, I hear those hold water pretty good

• Upvote 4

Not a really great solution. Sealing the entrances of subway stations during natural disasters like hurricanes will not always work. There may be even problems underground that would still flood a station.

Guest Lance

What about Flex Seal or Mighty Putty? LOL.

But seriously it's nice to see they're looking at ideas. I just hope these studies actually lead somewhere. Obviously, you aren't going to stop all water from entering the subway given its nature, but anything to prevent the tunnels and stations from becoming very large fish tanks would be better than nothing.

• Upvote 1