Car, LIRR train collide in Brentwood

trainspot12

8963618_448x252.jpg

"BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- The Ronkonkoma branch of the Long Island Rail Road is suspended in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma after a car collided with an equipment train Tuesday morning.

There were no passengers on the train at the time, and the crew members were not believed to be injured.

The train is believed to have hit the car at a grade crossing.

Buses have been ordered with an ETA of 11:15-11:30 a.m. to serve customers between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. Customers are advised, if possible, to seek alternate train service on the Montauk, Babylon and Port Jefferson branches.

Stay with 7online and watch Eyewitness News at Noon for the latest developments."

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=8963540

8963618_448x252.jpg

"BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- The Ronkonkoma branch of the Long Island Rail Road is suspended in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma after a car collided with an equipment train Tuesday morning.

There were no passengers on the train at the time, and the crew members were not believed to be injured.

The train is believed to have hit the car at a grade crossing.

Buses have been ordered with an ETA of 11:15-11:30 a.m. to serve customers between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. Customers are advised, if possible, to seek alternate train service on the Montauk, Babylon and Port Jefferson branches.

Stay with 7online and watch Eyewitness News at Noon for the latest developments."

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=8963540

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=422220&nseq=0

Was this an M-7 or a Diesel engine involved? Also, they are sending buses? NICE buses or MTA buses (or private operators)?

That's an M-3 work train, they are sending private operators for shuttle bus service. MTA buses may show up too.

Was this an M-7 or a Diesel engine involved? Also, they are sending buses? NICE buses or MTA buses (or private operators)?

Probably sending whatever is available and nearby, and since this is at Brentwood, Possibly a M3 or Freight operation.... (more so of a M3 If it's a EMD it probably was coming from Greenport or something. Highly likely though it was a M3.

there goes another M3 pair...

Why is it so hard for people not to drive around lowered crossing gates? Do we need to come up with some idiot proof idea for that too? I thought having a law against it would prevent people from doing it lol

thank god it wasn't a newer M-7 ohh well there goes an ugly old train boo hoo please. :rolleyes:

Here is a dipshit proof idea replace crossing gates with crossing barriers that rise up from the ground preventing cars from moving foward a barrier that they can't drive around or over.

thank god it wasn't a newer M-7 ohh well there goes an ugly old train boo hoo please. :rolleyes:

Here is a dipshit proof idea replace crossing gates with crossing barriers that rise up from the ground preventing cars from moving foward a barrier that they can't drive around or over.

If it was an M7, they got 700 of them, who cares if one of those goes down.

As for those ground mounted barrier, too dangerous and likely to break if someone winds up driving over it as its rising up, not to mention if water and ice gets into it in winter its likely to freeze and not pop up.

Those are much harder to maintain than crossings as they exist now. You cannot save the stupid from themselves.

Well, it was the driver's fault:

LINK: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/fiery_death_on_lirr_Fr7yujDh2hpvsPGcyCRi5O

A driver with a passenger blatantly ignored a flashing LIRR signal — leaving them both obliterated when their car was smashed into a blazing heap by an oncoming train, officials said.

The LIRR equipment train was traveling at 80 mph when the 2010 Nissan Maxima’s foolish driver — who may have been gabbing on a cellphone — entered the tracks, officials said.

MTA police couldn’t immediately identify the bodies because they were “burned beyond recognition,” officials said.

The train dragged the car for half a mile before it finally came to rest at the Central Islip station at about 10 a.m.

Video of the collision posted on Twitter shows a ball of fire slowly approaching the station as horrified commuters watch.

The three MTA employees on board didn’t suffer any injuries.

The engineer honked his horn and hit the emergency brake after spotting the car east of the Brentwood station, said MTA police Capt. Neil Boyle.

“I heard a big boom,” said a witness, David Lopez. “I also heard a scream. When I went outside to look, the only thing I saw was the bumper of the vehicle. That’s all that was left.”

Someone got video of the fire as well:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKL1qWb_oY

Don't mean to be rude but why would NICE send buses to Suffolk County? I think that would get a lot of opposition, even in such situations.

But yeah, people should really watch out at grade crossings.

Don't mean to be rude but why would NICE send buses to Suffolk County? I think that would get a lot of opposition, even in such situations.

But yeah, people should really watch out at grade crossings.

They used neither NICE or Suffolk Transit for shuttle buses, they got a private bus company to run the shuttle buses.

Sometimes cars get stuck on the tracks BEFORE the gates come down. Lets see what the investigation brings out as to how it happened.

This is why no one should ever attempt to cross the tracks in any vehicle before they now they have enough room to safly cross the tracks!  This is serious business no time for playing around as a train doing 80mph isn't playing!  And for the love of god, don't cross the tracks and get off your f ucking phone!!!

I saw the drivers family on the news making excuses, desite a member of the train crew saying they saw her going around the gates and a witness that said the same AND that she was on her phone, the family "knows" the MTA is at fault and the gates must of malfuntioned and were up despite witnesses saying what really happened.

I know grieving is a process and blame is a part of that but it is annoying to say the lease but to hear the news allow the family to blame it on the MTA despite the facts and have a boo hoo fest with the family while they blame the MTA seems irresponsible reporting.  Maybe it's just me...

Sometimes cars get stuck on the tracks BEFORE the gates come down. Lets see what the investigation brings out as to how it happened.

Even if your car got stuck on the track (which did not happen here), anyone with half a brain knows to get the hell out of your call and call for help not sit in your car. That is plain common sense.

Even if your car got stuck on the track (which did not happen here), anyone with half a brain knows to get the hell out of your call and call for help not sit in your car. That is plain common sense.

The people were quite old AFAIK... an elderly father and a 55-year-old daughter were struck by the train in the car.

I saw the drivers family on the news making excuses, desite a member of the train crew saying they saw her going around the gates and a witness that said the same AND that she was on her phone, the family "knows" the MTA is at fault and the gates must of malfuntioned and were up despite witnesses saying what really happened.

I know grieving is a process and blame is a part of that but it is annoying to say the lease but to hear the news allow the family to blame it on the MTA despite the facts and have a boo hoo fest with the family while they blame the MTA seems irresponsible reporting.  Maybe it's just me...

No its not just you, I think its completely wrong too, but they probably thought they'll be able to get some money out of the (MTA) for the car damage or the lives lost. People like that are disgusting.

Archived