Why are LIRR/Metro North fares so high compared to the subway?

RtrainBlues

Responses to what's highlighted in bold:

Turnstiles with commuter rail don't work, ever, unless it's Japan and the trains come every three minutes. The thing is, commuter trains show up only a few times an hour at most stations, so immediately before and after, you have a rush of people overloading the turnstiles. This also makes fare-beating at commuter stations ridiculously easy, because the MTA is not going to post someone to watch the turnstiles at every LIRR station, and any security guards that tried to prevent it would have a really hard time noticing farebeaters among the fast rush of commuters. Not to mention, a lot of the stations are just concrete platforms with a couple of steps - there's no way to fit turnstiles onto those.

A free fare would end up bankrupting the MTA and NICE, and eventually, the city, because it would encourage moving to the suburbs and using the LIRR  and MNRR over subway/bus where possible, and long-term, that would lead to another 1970's fiscal crisis. It would also end up crippling MNRR and LIRR, because they're already at capacity. This is the deal-killer: the fares aren't there to milk poor people, but also to regulate demand for the trains. When something is free or doesn't cost much, people abuse it - for the Asian Games, Guangzhou in China abolished fares on its transit network and saw ridership double, causing safety concerns at stations due to massive overcrowding on an already crowded system.

At the very least, zone 3 fares should be pegged to the express bus fare - no more, but no less. Most of the LIRR stations are wheelchair accessible, and they're cheaper to run than some of the express buses, so railstitution could work.

Last part was the best part of your statement it was what I was trying to say in the bus forums the whole time some express buses can be substituted with LIRR instead. Remember the one with the lowest ridership?

Keep fares high to regulate demand to me that is utter bullshit no offense so basically ridership can increase just like that with a simple fare reduction WOW. Plus it doesn't have to be turnstiles it can be really high faregates that you can't jump over like a door. 

To be honest fare beating on LIRR/MNRR is much easier than you think and just as easy as it would be with turnstiles if you are a frequent rider and learned their collection patterns you can get a load of free rides before actually having to pay nullifying that argument but nice try. 

High fares don't exactly regulate demand that effectively look at other commuter rail systems with much lower fares yet they still don't have stupidly high ridership. Seattle's sounder rail comes to mind it used to be free for months AND PEOPLE STILL DID NOT USE IT!!!!!

Undercover police work very well throughout the DC and NY systems to discourage fare-beating.  Busy stations such as Roslyn, VA in the DC metro have at least 10 turnstiles to handle large rush-hour crowds. Some off-peak trains (especially on less busy lines such as Hempstead) are so empty that they often have only 3 or 4 people per car between Jamaica and Hempstead; they are nowhere near capacity.  Meanwhile the N6 is so crowded mid-day that they're running local and limited stop buses. And the N22 and N24 are always packed as alternatives to the LIRR.

Unfortunately, the high off-peak fares turn off a very large number of people.  It's sad people need to take 2+ hour trips from Brooklyn/Manhattan to Nassau via subway/NICE bus since there's tons of room on many off-peak LIRR trains.

Well the hempstead line only serves residential areas and is hourly what do you expect ridership to be?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vast majority of LIRR conductors are pleasant and helpful, but there are always a few bad apples.  An older woman who got on at East New York (Far Rockaway train, weekday morning) clearly didn't know she needed to buy a ticket beforehand, and thought the $10 cash would be more than enough to get to Nassau off-peak.  The heartless female conductor rudely said she needed to present ID so she could write her a bill she could pay in the mail.  No apology about the cost, no recommendation to buy a ticket beforehand to avoid the approx $15 fare onboard, just hand over your ID so you get the bill. The poor lady only had a Medicare card so that's what she presented as ID, and was shocked her $10 bill wasn't enough to cover it.  This Far Rockaway female conductor needs some diversity/sensitivity training, or perhaps she can simply step aside and let tons of other people apply for her job in this economy. 

So she's "heartless" because she's doing her job??  Rules are rules... You're supposed to get your tickets BEFOREHAND and the prices are clearly listed.  Imagine if everyone decided to just get on and pay whatever they thought would be "sufficient".  We already have enough people doing this with the bus and subway...  Part of her job is to ensure that people pay the fare and if they don't have enough then she is supposed to write them a fine.  

The conductor could have shown courtesy and respect to the woman by recommending advance LIRR ticket purchase next time and apologizing for having to charge the on-board fare, but instead it was a curt business transaction.  I told the woman she could use the J train from East NY to Parsons/Archer to be near the 165th bus terminal for the N22/N24.  She thanked me.  Next time it will cost her $2.50 total and she said it will get her even closer to her destination.

Last part was the best part of your statement it was what I was trying to say in the bus forums the whole time some express buses can be substituted with LIRR instead. Remember the one with the lowest ridership?

Keep fares high to regulate demand to me that is utter bullshit no offense so basically ridership can increase just like that with a simple fare reduction WOW. Plus it doesn't have to be turnstiles it can be really high faregates that you can't jump over like a door. 

To be honest fare beating on LIRR/MNRR is much easier than you think and just as easy as it would be with turnstiles if you are a frequent rider and learned their collection patterns you can get a load of free rides before actually having to pay nullifying that argument but nice try. 

High fares don't exactly regulate demand that effectively look at other commuter rail systems with much lower fares yet they still don't have stupidly high ridership. Seattle's sounder rail comes to mind it used to be free for months AND PEOPLE STILL DID NOT USE IT!!!!!

Well the hempstead line only serves residential areas and is hourly what do you expect ridership to be?

The turnstiles don't really work if I can literally hoist myself up onto the platform with my bare hands, and again, some of these places only have stairs that are two people ride as access and entrance points - when a train drops a large amount of people into the station, the access points will be overwhelmed, and at all other times no one else will be using those turnstiles. Basically, when people will need to use them, they'll cause needless congestion, and at all other times they'll be useless.

You're comparing a single track line that only sees a handful of peak-hour trains to a double tracked line that serves relatively dense areas with service levels that aren't awful. Keep in mind that if you lower fares to absolutely nothing, the LIRR will be abused, and people east of Forest Hills and Flushing will abandon the subway and bus for the LIRR, crippling both the LIRR (which doesn't have the capacity for such service) and NYCT (which will see massively reduced revenues and ridership). This is textbook economics - if something is cheaper, more people will want to use it, and if something is free, a lot of people are going to misuse the resource.

Given the fact that bus lines that parallel the LIRR run every 15 minutes or better during the peak (N6, N20/21, N22/22A/22L/22X, N24), and the crowding level of these buses (standing-room only by the county line), the LIRR could attract a lot more riders.

The turnstiles don't really work if I can literally hoist myself up onto the platform with my bare hands, and again, some of these places only have stairs that are two people ride as access and entrance points - when a train drops a large amount of people into the station, the access points will be overwhelmed, and at all other times no one else will be using those turnstiles. Basically, when people will need to use them, they'll cause needless congestion, and at all other times they'll be useless.

You're comparing a single track line that only sees a handful of peak-hour trains to a double tracked line that serves relatively dense areas with service levels that aren't awful. Keep in mind that if you lower fares to absolutely nothing, the LIRR will be abused, and people east of Forest Hills and Flushing will abandon the subway and bus for the LIRR, crippling both the LIRR (which doesn't have the capacity for such service) and NYCT (which will see massively reduced revenues and ridership). This is textbook economics - if something is cheaper, more people will want to use it, and if something is free, a lot of people are going to misuse the resource.

Given the fact that bus lines that parallel the LIRR run every 15 minutes or better during the peak (N6, N20/21, N22/22A/22L/22X, N24), and the crowding level of these buses (standing-room only by the county line), the LIRR could attract a lot more riders.

Actually I know LIRR should not be reduced to nothing free rides err no too costly I am not advocating that. However I am suggesting a reduction to just enough to increase ridership in LI to maximum. In response to East of flushing that would expose the true demand for the port washington line and may dump loads of people onto N25 and N21/20. Plus most of northern blvd in nassau is not near LIRR but Q12 would suffer sort of if that happened. Also note that N6 serves a corridor that is nowhere near LIRR in walking distance and many people use the N6 intermediately from hempstead to somewhere there or queens to that area before hempstead. N6 has a lot of turn over plus many people who use it actually are not near LIRR and don't ride out to hempstead as revealed by the N6x when it first started it exposed the ridership of the N6 and revealed how people truly use the N6. Same case with N20/21 and even N24 remember LIRR service at stations other than mineola and hicksville is complete shit vs N24 which is much more frequent. Also people can connect from LIRR to N24 to get to roosevelt field. Hillside is nowhere near the LIRR. N24 is near LIRR but service is complete crap on LIRR over there. Same can be said for N22 while N22 is frequent LIRR trains that stop at west bury don't stop at carle place and service levels are HORRID. You have somewhat of a point but for the LIRR to take riders off N6 not gonna happen. N24 maybe some if service was improved but don't hold your breath N24 can simply be restructured to eliminate direct duplication. LIRR stations are not close to each other at all. What about N22 riders going to just hillside?

However it would force NYCT to restructure many bus lines and actual true crosstowns become more feasible in eastern queens where they weren't before due to high LIRR fares and infrequent service?  

Other than QM3 and QM21 which express buses can be so-called railstituted? I can't think of any more plus barely anyone uses Bxm4 anyway.

Do they waive the onboard fare if it's a senior? I think they do that with NJT.

Yes, the on-board is waived for senior/medicare/disabled passengers. It's whatever the senior price is at the ticket window/machine.

The conductor could have shown courtesy and respect to the woman by recommending advance LIRR ticket purchase next time and apologizing for having to charge the on-board fare, but instead it was a curt business transaction.  I told the woman she could use the J train from East NY to Parsons/Archer to be near the 165th bus terminal for the N22/N24.  She thanked me.  Next time it will cost her $2.50 total and she said it will get her even closer to her destination.

Yeah well I've seen a few slick ones on MetroNorth with the "Oh I gave my ticket already" or "Oh I was in another car" routine....Farebeating isn't really a problem but you keep it from becoming one by not making exceptions.  You can pay with a credit card now on the train if you don't have enough money on you.  Surely she has at least one credit or debit card that she can use with some money on it and if she doesn't well then that tells you that she should've been using the (J) train to the bus to begin with.

Yeah well I've seen a few slick ones on MetroNorth with the "Oh I gave my ticket already" or "Oh I was in another car" routine....Farebeating isn't really a problem but you keep it from becoming one by not making exceptions.  You can pay with a credit card now on the train if you don't have enough money on you.  Surely she has at least one credit or debit card that she can use with some money on it and if she doesn't well then that tells you that she should've been using the (J) train to the bus to begin with.

Only a few??? 

I had one the other day as I was collecting tickets one passenger who got on at Yonkers going to Marble Hill says "Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time, how you been" like I'm his long lost friend.  I played along.  After a minute or two of "catching up",  I posed the question at hand.  "Do you have a ticket"?  He said no.  I asked "Do you have any money"?  "No".  "Do you have ID"?  Again, his answer was "no".  He asked if I can give him a break.  I said yes.  I can get you to Riverdale (the next stop).  He asked "can't you help out an "old friend".  That's when I said "you don't know me, I don't know you and you have three choices.  A ticket, money, or get off at Riverdale".  He then dug into his pocket and pulled out an old seat check and said "does this work"?  I said "No".  Then finally giving in he pulls out a valid, unused ticket. 

Yeah, you really can't make this stuff up.

Only a few??? 

I had one the other day as I was collecting tickets one passenger who got on at Yonkers going to Marble Hill says "Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time, how you been" like I'm his long lost friend.  I played along.  After a minute or two of "catching up",  I posed the question at hand.  "Do you have a ticket"?  He said no.  I asked "Do you have any money"?  "No".  "Do you have ID"?  Again, his answer was "no".  He asked if I can give him a break.  I said yes.  I can get you to Riverdale (the next stop).  He asked "can't you help out an "old friend".  That's when I said "you don't know me, I don't know you and you have three choices.  A ticket, money, or get off at Riverdale".  He then dug into his pocket and pulled out an old seat check and said "does this work"?  I said "No".  Then finally giving in he pulls out a valid, unused ticket. 

Yeah, you really can't make this stuff up.

LMAO... That's only because I use the express bus more than I do MetroNorth and you know that once you make the stops at the Riverdale and the Spuyten Duyvil stations there's really only folks getting on in Marble Hill, as the other stops are mainly folks getting off with a few here and there getting on. When do you see more of the slick ones? In the mornings or in the evenings? I would think there aren't too many during off peak just because there's fewer folks riding so it's harder to run the scams.  I'm also shocked that you guys haven't been hit with the ticket scammers like they had there in New Jersey.  Those tickets don't look high tech at all...

I remeber leaving Penn Station when a couple with thier kid decided to sit next to me in the 3 seater...  When it's time for the ticket collector to come through they had no ticket.  Just "No, ticket, ok." as they made a motion to shoo the conductor.  He pulled out his fare chart, "No ticket, ok." shooing him away again saying something to themselves in spanish (I don't speak Spanish so I don't know what they said) they kept laughinhg and making a motion to shoo him away, they were very rude to him.  He told them how much it'll be...  "No ticket, ok." "No money, ok..."  As they shoo'ed him away and laughed it off.  He told them they needed money or one of their ID's.  Ok, they'll give ID...

The conductor said he'll be right back.  "Ok..." Lauging as it was a joke shoo'ing him away again.  It was obvious they played this game before and got away with, they looked kind of surpirsed that he came back.  He asked for ID, the guy had ID in hand, but all of a sudden wanted to give the conductor the information on the ID (scary for anyone who has lost an ID or had their identity stolen...  The Condutor said he wasn't comfortable with that, he excused himself at the next stop (to help close the doors).  In this time the lady got on her phone (again, not speaking spanish I have no idea what was said).  When the conductor came back and they basically told the conductor "he wasn't police" and they were under no obligation to show him their ID. 

The conductor was very freindly the entire time explaining the situation, that he was giving them a bill and very clear about how to pay it.  At this time he expained their options, find money for a ticket, produce an ID, get off at the next stop, or knowing they were getting off at Freeport stay on the train and he'll have the police meet the train beofre freeport.  Go figure, they quickly pulled out enough money then to pay for the ticket after that.... :rolleyes:

LMAO... That's only because I use the express bus more than I do MetroNorth and you know that once you make the stops at the Riverdale and the Spuyten Duyvil stations there's really only folks getting on in Marble Hill, as the other stops are mainly folks getting off with a few here and there getting on. When do you see more of the slick ones? In the mornings or in the evenings? I would think there aren't too many during off peak just because there's fewer folks riding so it's harder to run the scams.  I'm also shocked that you guys haven't been hit with the ticket scammers like they had there in New Jersey.  Those tickets don't look high tech at all...

I see more during evening/night off peak. 

Another popular scam is those those that give me a ticket from where ever to Yankees 153rd.  When I sweep after 153rd there are those that "forget" to get off. After coughing up another $7 that eventually stops.

Unfortunately everyday commuters have their own scams and get down right nasty when you call them out.  The popular is those that buy the monthly for one zone less than they really travel. 

A few months ago I called out a guy who had a Chappaqua to Hawthorne monthly and tries to cover up Hawthorne leaving only the Ha exposed making you think he's going to Harlem.  He blew his stack blaming mail and ride for sending the wrong ticket, calling me names, etc.  Conveniently his name was on the monthly so I called mail and ride and they said he's been buying that ticket for years and will take care of it on their end.

I see more during evening/night off peak. 

Another popular scam is those those that give me a ticket from where ever to Yankees 153rd.  When I sweep after 153rd there are those that "forget" to get off. After coughing up another $7 that eventually stops.

Unfortunately everyday commuters have their own scams and get down right nasty when you call them out.  The popular is those that buy the monthly for one zone less than they really travel. 

A few months ago I called out a guy who had a Chappaqua to Hawthorne monthly and tries to cover up Hawthorne leaving only the Ha exposed making you think he's going to Harlem.  He blew his stack blaming mail and ride for sending the wrong ticket, calling me names, etc.  Conveniently his name was on the monthly so I called mail and ride and they said he's been buying that ticket for years and will take care of it on their end.

LMAO!! Yeah I usually just ride in the mornings when I'm a rush or want to sleep in later because at night I don't feel like switching to get the Hudson Rail Link bus and the express bus is actually faster at night compared to MetroNorth especially if you're getting on the Upper West or Upper East Side.

I'm not too shocked about the monthly scams because people will try just about anything.  I admit I pulled a fast one years ago when I was living in Europe.  I bought a rail pass and had my mom send it to me from the states since it was cheaper that way.  On this particular pass, you would write in the dates (gotta love the "honor" system in Europe :lol:) that you used the pass and you were given "X" amount of trips.  If you're good enough you can get away with getting more than one trip which is exactly what I did.  :lol:   I mean hell I was getting slaughtered paying in Euros for everything with US dollars so I took advantage for once and saved myself a good $30.00 - $60.00  I don't do that stuff anymore. I mean hey we've all been youngsters before so we've all tried our scams, but at some point you have to grow up a bit.

I gotta admit though... I love how calm and professional you guys are. Always greet the passengers with a "Good morning & thank you" and I'm sure you're the same way even if you have to kick someone off. lol

LMAO!! Yeah I usually just ride in the mornings when I'm a rush or want to sleep in later because at night I don't feel like switching to get the Hudson Rail Link bus and the express bus is actually faster at night compared to MetroNorth especially if you're getting on the Upper West or Upper East Side.

I'm not too shocked about the monthly scams because people will try just about anything.  I admit I pulled a fast one years ago when I was living in Europe.  I bought a rail pass and had my mom send it to me from the states since it was cheaper that way.  On this particular pass, you would write in the dates (gotta love the "honor" system in Europe :lol:) that you used the pass and you were given "X" amount of trips.  If you're good enough you can get away with getting more than one trip which is exactly what I did.  :lol:   I mean hell I was getting slaughtered paying in Euros for everything with US dollars so I took advantage for once and saved myself a good $30.00 - $60.00  I don't do that stuff anymore. I mean hey we've all been youngsters before so we've all tried our scams, but at some point you have to grow up a bit.

I gotta admit though... I love how calm and professional you guys are. Always greet the passengers with a "Good morning & thank you" and I'm sure you're the same way even if you have to kick someone off. lol

Err is Bx7 that erratic that it won't even meet MNRR trains? enough to be faster than the express bus?

It does at marble hill doesn't it? and is very frequent supposedly.

No one in Riverdale would take the Bx7 to MNRR to Marble Hill when we have the Hudson Rail Link which is timed to the MNRR, less crowded and more reliable.  The Bx7 bunches a lot from my own personal observations and not only that but MetroNorth folks in Riverdale are territorial #1 and #2 we aren't the type of folks that would ride the local bus anyway.  I mean seriously, paying $8.25 one way, it would seem odd to take the local bus. Furthermore, we have no desire to go to MNRR stations in the Bronx or in Manhattan when we have two wonderful stations in our own neighborhood (Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil station).  We either drive or take the Hudson Rail Link or some of us walk to the stations if we live close enough which is possible for some along Kappock St for the Spuyten Duyvil station or those that live near the Riverdale station.

No one in Riverdale would take the Bx7 to MNRR to Marble Hill when we have the Hudson Rail Link which is timed to the MNRR, less crowded and more reliable.  The Bx7 bunches a lot from my own personal observations and not only that but MetroNorth folks in Riverdale are territorial #1 and #2 we aren't the type of folks that would ride the local bus anyway.  I mean seriously, paying $8.25 one way, it would seem odd to take the local bus. Furthermore, we have no desire to go to MNRR stations in the Bronx or in Manhattan when we have two wonderful stations in our own neighborhood (Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil station).  We either drive or take the Hudson Rail Link or some of us walk to the stations if we live close enough which is possible for some along Kappock St for the Spuyten Duyvil station or those that live near the Riverdale station.

Err marble hill has more trains though.

Err marble hill has more trains though.

Not anymore.  With few rush hour exceptions, all trains that stop at Marble Hill also stop at Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale.  Those that only stop at Marble Hill during rush hour has a local with in a few minutes for the others.

Marble Hill is good for the general public with MNR, #1 train and buses just up the hill from the station.  Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil are good for those specific communities as the rail link is waiting in the station parking lot when you get off the train. 

I see a few hundred going to these stations every evening getting off the train and walk a few steps to their bus.  If I lived in either of those communities I'd be right there with them.

If it takes you four hours to drive to Montauk, you drive slowly.

I wasn't talking that long of a drive, more like rush hour on LIE in Nassau.

Or you could bicycle to the station ;);)

Or you could bicycle to the station ;) ;)

lol...

Not anymore.  With few rush hour exceptions, all trains that stop at Marble Hill also stop at Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale.  Those that only stop at Marble Hill during rush hour has a local with in a few minutes for the others.

Marble Hill is good for the general public with MNR, #1 train and buses just up the hill from the station.  Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil are good for those specific communities as the rail link is waiting in the station parking lot when you get off the train. 

I see a few hundred going to these stations every evening getting off the train and walk a few steps to their bus.  If I lived in either of those communities I'd be right there with them.

My sentiments exactly... Only a fool would go over to some other community when they've got service given to them to make their commutes easier.

I see so they got rid of the Express trains from that station I stand corrected.

No, (I think) he's saying most express trains now stop at Spuyten Duyvil & Riverdale as well. (I think there was an article about this recently)

That is what he (me) is saying.

To go one further there are some limited stop expresses from GCT to Croton Harmon that stop at both Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale but do not stop at Marble Hill (the 9:51 and 10:51 departures from GCT).

• 1 month later...

The vast majority of LIRR conductors are pleasant and helpful, but there are always a few bad apples.  An older woman who got on at East New York (Far Rockaway train, weekday morning) clearly didn't know she needed to buy a ticket beforehand, and thought the $10 cash would be more than enough to get to Nassau off-peak.  The heartless female conductor rudely said she needed to present ID so she could write her a bill she could pay in the mail.  No apology about the cost, no recommendation to buy a ticket beforehand to avoid the approx $15 fare onboard, just hand over your ID so you get the bill. The poor lady only had a Medicare card so that's what she presented as ID, and was shocked her $10 bill wasn't enough to cover it.  This Far Rockaway female conductor needs some diversity/sensitivity training, or perhaps she can simply step aside and let tons of other people apply for her job in this economy. 

Medicare card gets 1/2 peak fare any other time but inbound AM peak.  $10 should have covered the fare!!

That is not a reason why it won't work cause well tri-rail and WMATA have zone based fare gates with tri rail having tap machines. WMATA charges by the distance with turnstiles so if that were the real problem it can work with LIRR then merge the fare structure with a new smartcard that will also replace metrocards unifying the entire MTA network. However if the cost to add em is stupid high that however is a valid concern and reason not to but due to zone not really.

nope.

YES, the onboard fare IS waived.  I do it most of the time if there is a line at the window.  NJT yes, SEPTA , no.

Archived