Beggars and annoyances on the subway

nyctransit

Most of us seem to be fans of the subway, so I'm a little apprehensive posting this.

I absolutely HATE the subway annoyances like people preaching out loud, begging for money, performing on the train etc. Is all this even permitted? I wonder how the conductors/MTA even allows then to be a nuisance and annoyance to the publice. Hell, the MTA subway transit is not doing any social service, we pay for our tickets.

I was travelling to work today from penn-station to fulton-street on the 2 line and I was off from work for the morning today. So I plan to reach work at 1 PM. My regular travel to work is usually 8 AM on the train which means a super crowded train but atleast it is free from annoying people. This person enters at 34 street too and starts preaching out loudly on various topics. He was ridiculously loud and he was in the samae car as the conductor car. This man went all the way upto fulton street, where I got off, and beyond.

As you can tell, I'm pretty annoyed, is there something I can do here? other than to contact the "earless" MTA.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some opinions and views from myself.

1. I pay $2.50, I'm not expecting a first-class/VIP ride what so ever with $2.50. (Subway/buses of course. Can't say for MNR or LIRR as I never taken it before [Guilty].)

2. Whenever I do take mass transportation, I try to never leave the trusty old headphones so things like these don't bother me.

3. I'm pretty sure it's not allowed but it's not really causing too much of a nuisance from my experiences with them.  A simple no and they walk away.  As for the break dancers that I barely run into, I haven't really had a problem with them either...then again I usually stand/sit at the end parts of the subway cars anyway and they perform at the middle of the car most of the time.

Things like this happens outside of the MTA too..pan handlers on the streets and what not, what do you do? Ignore them.  I mean if people talking nonsense on the subway or you not being able to say no to them is annoying to you, damn, I have no other comments towards these types of topics.

Most of us seem to be fans of the subway, so I'm a little apprehensive posting this.

I absolutely HATE the subway annoyances like people preaching out loud, begging for money, performing on the train etc. Is all this even permitted? I wonder how the conductors/MTA even allows then to be a nuisance and annoyance to the publice. Hell, the MTA subway transit is not doing any social service, we pay for our tickets.

I was travelling to work today from penn-station to fulton-street on the 2 line and I was off from work for the morning today. So I plan to reach work at 1 PM. My regular travel to work is usually 8 AM on the train which means a super crowded train but atleast it is free from annoying people. This person enters at 34 street too and starts preaching out loudly on various topics. He was ridiculously loud and he was in the samae car as the conductor car. This man went all the way upto fulton street, where I got off, and beyond.

As you can tell, I'm pretty annoyed, is there something I can do here? other than to contact the "earless" MTA.

Speaking for myself as a man who actually was homeless at one point in my crazy life (for the record, I let the cat out of the bag already in another deadbeat discussion on this subject), who fought his way to becoming a successful IT professional today with a home, a car, money in the bank, and a good woman by my side today after I was tested, baptism by fire. 

And no I had too much pride to go panhandling on the trains. I had other strategies to survive. Don't ask.

The other day heading home from my job, I had leftover McGriddles, three of them that I never ate because it was hectic at IT helpdesk that day. There was a homeless woman on the train. On the (A) going uptown to 207th.  I gave the food to her. She was almost to the point of tears as she gladly accepted my food I had left over and ate it. I saw she was genuinely starving. 

Sometimes the suffering of others trumps everything else.

I will say though as I've stated before that there are people who panhandle on the train who are scammers. Such people are not actually homeless, they are taking advantage of people and their generosity to rip people off. Now that is dead wrong.

My thoughts on this. I am not ashamed of admitting this. Life is hard in NYC. I will tell you this, there is a higher power because here I am today, successful and seeing my dreams and hopes furfilled. See my profile page and you will know the shit I went through to get where I am at today.

Respect.

Things like this happens outside of the MTA too..pan handlers on the streets and what not, what do you do? Ignore them.  I mean if people talking nonsense on the subway or you not being able to say no to them is annoying to you, damn, I have no other comments towards these types of topics.

Sure, I ignore such incidents but not when a man stands in the middle of the car preaching about religion, marriage, jobs and what-have-you for 15 LONG minutes, that's not fun. Seriously, totallly annoying. That's why I love the LIRR and I have a monthly pass from my stop in Queens to 34-street in manhattan but unfortunately there is no LIRR from 34-street to Wall street.

Sure, I would love to see this too ;)

I want to know what happens if one of these preachers hands out their pamphlets to an undercover cop - now that I would pay to see.

are there still spanish people walking around and saying, bateree(battery) one dolla! with like bags of toys ? 

LOL, somehow the one dolla guys and gals don't bother me. They usually move away quickly to the next car or next part of car.

When the law fails, take it into your own hands. Stand up and beat the crap out of anyone that annoys you. Why would let these people pollute your precious ears with their filthy words. If you do that you'll be standing up for what's right, moral, and just. Screw those damn poor beggars, I always like to mess with them by giving them monopoly money whenever they pass me by.

On the preachers I will have to agree on this. That is a disturbance to me as well, an invasion of my peace and privacy. And I am a Christian myself! I don't need someone to preach to me as to why I am going to hell. Really most of what they say is not even according to the bible, just them running their mouths thinking they are the chosen ones out of their own delusional thinking. Could never understand preachers on the train.....

Because of thoughts like this, the MTA is ripping us even more. So what if the ride is only $2.50, I don't want illegal activities on the train?? Sure - the subway seats are not as comfortable as my LIRR seats or as quiet as the LIRR cars or as clean as LIRR platofrms ( I could go on...) and I understand these issues , but a basic "code of law" would be something I expect even on the subway. That's just me.

Some opinions and views from myself.

1. I pay $2.50, I'm not expecting a first-class/VIP ride what so ever with $2.50. (Subway/buses of course. Can't say for MNR or LIRR as I never taken it before [Guilty].)

True - I hear them always say " we all will be going to hell" or "why we would not be going to hell" etc etc. I can never understand them either.

I also hate the performances on the train but that's something I would put up with

And I agree with you - mos of such preachers , do not quote directly from any religious texts, its just their frustrations and they need to seek help ,not bother other lawful residents.

On the preachers I will have to agree on this. That is a disturbance to me as well, an invasion of my peace and privacy. And I am a Christian myself! I don't need someone to preach to me as to why I am going to hell. Really most of what they say is not even according to the bible, just them running their mouths thinking they are the chosen ones out of their own delusional thinking. Could never understand preachers on the train.....

Those homeless people that smell like shit.. yeah. And those Mexican/Spanish people playing music on  the (7).. Those people "1 Dolla 1 Dolla I have children plees I need fewd" annoying... The people who sell stuff aren't as annoying.. I can always use a snack.

True - I hear them always say " we all will be going to hell" or "why we would not be going to hell" etc etc. I can never understand them either.

I also hate the performances on the train but that's something I would put up with

And I agree with you - mos of such preachers , do not quote directly from any religious texts, its just their frustrations and they need to seek help ,not bother other lawful residents.

I used to breakdance myself in high school and definitely have a high regard for it as an aspect of classic hip hop culture. But yes, we have some breakdancers out there who have no tact whatsoever, wanting to ruin an otherwise somewhat peaceful commute. I love the breakdancing art, but at the same time don;t appreciate the attitudes some of these performers display. 

Ditto on preachers. That's what houses of worship are for. Not in the subway which is  reserved for use by the general public.

You don't see none of this madness on the Washington DC Metro. The way that system is run (absent the telescoping incident some years back) is an excellent example of a transit agency that takes pride in their system. If only MTA New York City Subway could say the same

Those homeless people that smell like shit.. yeah. And those Mexican/Spanish people playing music on  the (7).. Those people "1 Dolla 1 Dolla I have children plees I need fewd" annoying... The people who sell stuff aren't as annoying.. I can always use a snack.

Got a problem with Hispanics? Is that what you are trying to imply then? That's the message I'm getting here. The ignorance reaks ridiculous in this thread.

The point is yes talk about the frustrations of the gap between the rich and the poor but it's good not to become hateful of the lower middle class or those in poverty just because.....

Agreed. I do believe in God (though I do NOT like organized religion in any shape or form) and I don't need to be told I'm going to hell for XYZ, especially when I get enough of this crap from my religion teacher. Very irritating.

LOL... I rarely use the subway on the weekends, but sometimes I do during the week if traffic is bad and it never fails me... The other day I was on the (6) because traffic was a mess coming in from Riverdale.  I get on and some guy comes in begging for change and I mean really begging.  I'm like what is with these people?? It's a recession... Most folks are just trying to make it so I don't know why they come on begging as if people have money floating about and you can tell that many folks feel the same way.  The Lex trains are infamous for the beggars or the folks with the sandwiches.  <_< I find it annoying esp. in the morning. The preachers always seem to be on the (D) train if I get it at Columbus Circle...

As for MetroNorth, this isn't a problem because #1 it's pricey... It's 10.75 one way ($8.25 for a peak ticket from Riverdale + $2.50 for Hudson Rail Link) and #2 with the ticket collectors there they would have no problem getting the police to throw you off of the train in a heartbeat so no farebeating... Sometimes I don't care if there's traffic... I'll stay on the express bus anyway just to have a piece of mind unless I have a meeting or something important.

Speaking for myself as a man who actually was homeless at one point in my crazy life (for the record, I let the cat out of the bag already in another deadbeat discussion on this subject), who fought his way to becoming a successful IT professional today with a home, a car, money in the bank, and a good woman by my side today after I was tested, baptism by fire.

And no I had too much pride to go panhandling on the trains. I had other strategies to survive. Don't ask.

The other day heading home from my job, I had leftover McGriddles, three of them that I never ate because it was hectic at IT helpdesk that day. There was a homeless woman on the train. On the (A) going uptown to 207th. I gave the food to her. She was almost to the point of tears as she gladly accepted my food I had left over and ate it. I saw she was genuinely starving.

Sometimes the suffering of others trumps everything else.

I will say though as I've stated before that there are people who panhandle on the train who are scammers. Such people are not actually homeless, they are taking advantage of people and their generosity to rip people off. Now that is dead wrong.

My thoughts on this. I am not ashamed of admitting this. Life is hard in NYC. I will tell you this, there is a higher power because here I am today, successful and seeing my dreams and hopes furfilled. See my profile page and you will know the shit I went through to get where I am at today.

Respect.

I see there's a kindred spirit in this forum lol I too have had experience with homelessness and in my own way have risen above it to become a bus driver (not married, no house, in due time). In a way I feel for the homeless, and I hold the city accountable for this, as some of this was years in the making. But I also believe if a certain level of pride, motivation, and direction were infused in some of the homeless who can be saved, hey, it takes only one spark to start a fire.

LOL... I rarely use the subway on the weekends, but sometimes I do during the week if traffic is bad and it never fails me... The other day I was on the (6) because traffic was a mess coming in from Riverdale.  I get on and some guy comes in begging for change and I mean really begging.  I'm like what is with these people?? It's a recession... Most folks are just trying to make it so I don't know why they come on begging as if people have money floating about and you can tell that many folks feel the same way.  The Lex trains are infamous for the beggars or the folks with the sandwiches.  <_< I find it annoying esp. in the morning. The preachers always seem to be on the (D) train if I get it at Columbus Circle...

As for MetroNorth, this isn't a problem because #1 it's pricey... It's 10.75 one way ($8.25 for a peak ticket from Riverdale + $2.50 for Hudson Rail Link) and #2 with the ticket collectors there they would have no problem getting the police to throw you off of the train in a heartbeat so no farebeating... Sometimes I don't care if there's traffic... I'll stay on the express bus anyway just to have a piece of mind unless I have a meeting or something important.

That's what I have to tell some of those begging for change sometimes. That hey I am going through tough times myself in a respectful manner. Because just because it looks like I have many possessions does'nt mean I am suffering from this recession either!

I see there's a kindred spirit in this forum lol I too have had experience with homelessness and in my own way have risen above it to become a bus driver (not married, no house, in due time). In a way I feel for the homeless, and I hold the city accountable for this, as some of this was years in the making. But I also believe if a certain level of pride, motivation, and direction were infused in some of the homeless who can be saved, hey, it takes only one spark to start a fire.

Indeed. Many of us came from the pit to become very much successful today. Don't worry keep at it, your dreams will be fully realized as well. You are pretty much there from the hell you went through as you are relating to us. It takes a person who is truly strong to endure trial like that! Props.

You guys are complaining? You have to see the shit I have to deal with when I have to kick these animals out of the train at Howard beach at 2am. They curse at you, they smell worse than the worse shit you ever took. And there like flies on shit, they just keep coming back. They have shopping carts with food all over there garbage, And there is nothing we can do about it, there not breaking the law so they get away with murder

I absolutely HATE the subway annoyances like people preaching out loud, begging for money, performing on the train etc. Is all this even permitted? I wonder how the conductors/MTA even allows then to be a nuisance and annoyance to the public. Hell, the MTA subway transit is not doing any social service, we pay for our tickets.

I was travelling to work today from penn-station to fulton-street on the 2 line and I was off from work for the morning today. So I plan to reach work at 1 PM. My regular travel to work is usually 8 AM on the train which means a super crowded train but atleast it is free from annoying people. This person enters at 34 street too and starts preaching out loudly on various topics. He was ridiculously loud and he was in the same car as the conductor car. This man went all the way upto fulton street, where I got off, and beyond.

How much will you pay to see me smack those loud preachers and post it on youtube? LOL

I want to know what happens if one of these preachers hands out their pamphlets to an undercover cop - now that I would pay to see.

I will be rolling that really needs to happen sooner rather than later.

When the law fails, take it into your own hands. Stand up and beat the crap out of anyone that annoys you. Why would let these people pollute your precious ears with their filthy words. If you do that you'll be standing up for what's right, moral, and just. Screw those damn poor beggars, I always like to mess with them by giving them monopoly money whenever they pass me by.

Woah man I'd just put em in their place damn so much anger and aggression. Beat down that is not as much fun as putting em on blast. 

You don't see none of this madness on the Washington DC Metro. The way that system is run (absent the telescoping incident some years back) is an excellent example of a transit agency that takes pride in their system. If only MTA New York City Subway could say the same

Yeah for double the price at almost $200 a pop for the metro alone not including the metrobus their fares make NYCT after fare hikes look like a bargain which is why I don't really complain about the fare here is that I was exposed to more expensive systems such as the DC metro and here is the kicker WMATA metrobus has one of the most complicated numbering designation systems I've seen you will get mindf**ked tryna learn how to use their bus system tring to know which bus is the full and which is a short turn or which actually goes to where you need it with em sharing a schedule it is not helping. Try the 81,83,86 for example all with only slight differences do they need different numbers cmon man. 

Got a problem with Hispanics? Is that what you are trying to imply then? That's the message I'm getting here. The ignorance reaks ridiculous in this thread.

The point is yes talk about the frustrations of the gap between the rich and the poor but it's good not to become hateful of the lower middle class or those in poverty just because.....

Nope he is just making a point due to the majority of them being hispanic I don't sense any racial hostility here.

You guys are complaining? You have to see the shit I have to deal with when I have to kick these animals out of the train at Howard beach at 2am. They curse at you, they smell worse than the worse shit you ever took. And there like flies on shit, they just keep coming back. They have shopping carts with food all over there garbage, And there is nothing we can do about it, there not breaking the law so they get away with murder

That's understood as on your end you have a job to do. The overall housing epidemic in NYC is frustrating to all of us in all walks of life, hence the heartfelt comments.

Nope he is just making a point due to the majority of them being hispanic I don't sense any racial hostility here.

Fine. I'll take benefit of the doubt and overlook that statement he made.

Err Realizm was exposed to homelessness hence his sympathy for some of them due to experience it's called human nature and understanding which is why he has a so called heart. I do believe some can be saved.

Sometimes when I have too much food from secret shop dining shops I give excess food to beggars for the kicks and Lulz some actually do break down in tears of gratitude and I don't have to litter everybody wins.

I truly feel sorry for you does the MTA supply you with gas masks?

Archived