R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

Found a link on Wikipedia. R188 contract will consist of 23 base order cars with an option of 163 cars. the remainder of the contract includes 7 base conversions of R142/R142A cars with an option for 124 conversions and 3 base conversion kits with an option of 186 kits. total CBTC compatible cars would be 506 cars.

Link:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/r34188sol.pdf

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found a link on Wikipedia. R188 contract will consist of 23 base order cars with an option of 163 cars. the remainder of the contract includes 7 base conversions of R142/R142A cars with an option for 124 conversions and 3 base conversion kits with an option of 186 kits. total CBTC compatible cars would be 506 cars.

Link:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/r34188sol.pdf

You shouldn't believe Wikipedia. I mean i believe the (MTA) contract, but this all falls apart if the (MTA) can't a builder for building.

You shouldn't believe Wikipedia. I mean i believe the (MTA) contract, but this all falls apart if the (MTA) can't a builder for building.

im not saying i believe wikipedia (although i have an editing account), i found the link on wikipedia (all info in previous post is from link) while editing.

I doubt that. R34 is already taken by the R11 rebuilds. And that's the solicitation number, R34188. R188 still is the most plausible name to me.

Well technically, the numbers go according to equipment contracts (revenue rolling stock, track equipment, work programmes) for the subway system. You can't have R34188 right after R179 or something. Not logical.

R34188 won't happen for at least 6 generations.

Well technically, the numbers go according to equipment contracts (revenue rolling stock, track equipment, work programmes) for the subway system. You can't have R34188 right after R179 or something. Not logical.

R34188 won't happen for at least 6 generations.

Not True, The went from R68 to R130/R131 to R142/R143 to R160 to R179 and next after, R188. Oh its very much possible.

Not True, The went from R68 to R130/R131 to R142/R143 to R160 to R179 and next after, R188. Oh its very much possible.

No, the 34 is part of the number but not referenced by people discussing it, and what was posted before is correct.

The reason for the jump from R68 to R110 was because of a whole bunch of other contracts. Not every contract is a subway car. That's why you have R1's, R4's and R6's but no R2's (order for motor trucks for the R1's), just an example.

Some are nonrevenue work equipment, like R77 locomotives...

There's a listing of all the R contract numbers somewhere out there on the net, but I dont' remember exactly where...

No, the 34 is part of the number but not referenced by people discussing it, and what was posted before is correct.

The reason for the jump from R68 to R110 was because of a whole bunch of other contracts. Not every contract is a subway car. That's why you have R1's, R4's and R6's but no R2's (order for motor trucks for the R1's), just an example.

There's a listing of all the R contract numbers somewhere out there on the net, but I dont' remember exactly where...

well here it is...

http://thejoekorner.quuxuum.org/rroster.htm

Jeez... never saw 34 part of any rolling stock order number... say 34160... or 34142... But nice to know.

Agreed, these are contract numbers. And the hippos happened to be the 68th Contract. I remember R one two something is a work car for the IRT. It looks like the R62 but has virtually no windows on the side.

Jeez... never saw 34 part of any rolling stock order number... say 34160... or 34142... But nice to know.

Agreed, these are contract numbers. And the hippos happened to be the 68th Contract. I remember R one two something is a work car for the IRT. It looks like the R62 but has virtually no windows on the side.

Yup that's the R127. Doesn't have air conditioning :D

The '34' is on announcements and more in-depth MTA info, like on detailed capital plans like the one trainfan22 posted up. Nowhere else, IINM. And also, the R127 has no windows, one door and its all yellow on the inside. Very interesting find. Can be commonly found at Forest Hills and 179th St.

They must be using the "R" designation for more contracts than they did in the past. We never saw jumps in the numbers anywhere near as large as we're seeing now before it went from 68 to 110 and so on.

They must be using the "R" designation for more contracts than they did in the past. We never saw jumps in the numbers anywhere near as large as we're seeing now before it went from 68 to 110 and so on.

It's also having to do with the tme gap. All cars R32-R46 were ordered within 10-15 years of each other. After that, the (MTA) had a few jobs to do which required the R contract, inckuding overhauling work cars and stuff like that. Within another 10 years it jumped from 68 to 110.

But even with work cars, we still see gaps between numbers and eqiupment. And two, maybe the number just dosent sound right and they skip it.

Well, it is interesting for me to hear and quiet a surprise. I feel this is just redundant to make a decision like this. I feel they should use this money elsewhere like fixing and renovating station, trackage and signals because the R-44's, R-46's, R-62's and R-68's are running fine!

Just get all of the R-32, R-38, R-40 (Regular and Slant) and R42 replaced. Use the extra money elsewhere and Forest Hills-71st Ave needs a renovation just like Queens Plaza, Roosevelt and Union Turnpike!

The replacements for every R32-R42 have all been financed so this is different money than money that could replace these cars. Also, it's not redundant because the (MTA) wants to get CBTC on the (7) line to test out the system before bringing it to Queens Boulevard.

Use the extra money elsewhere and Forest Hills-71st Ave needs a renovation just like Queens Plaza, Roosevelt and Union Turnpike!

Now why would you pick Forest Hills–71 to renovate? Familiar with that location? :D If you branch out down to Brooklyn, you'll notice the Sea Beach as well as other/most BMT Southern Div Stations are in a greater need of some basic renovations. That said, of the three examples you mentioned, Union T'pike is a good example of what should at some point be done at Continental and stations in general since they didn't completely re-tile the walls and tile the floor as was done at Queens Plz and Roosevelt. Both of those turned out well, but when money is tight they shouldn't overdo it with those extra amenities.

Archived